PDA

View Full Version : Darko deal almost done

Kori Ellis
02-14-2006, 11:32 PM
Pistons close to deal that would end Darko experiment

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2331049

Two things it now appears that these Detroit Pistons won't do: Win 70 games or continue the Darko Milicic experiment.

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com on Tuesday night that the Pistons and Orlando Magic were close to completing a long-discussed trade that would relocate Milicic, 2003's No. 2 overall pick, to central Florida. The trade could be completed as early as Wednesday, sources said, with only one potential snag.

The sides, according to sources, are bartering over the extent of lottery protection Orlando would have on the first-round pick it has agreed to send Detroit along with center Kelvin Cato for Milicic and guard Carlos Arroyo.

It's thought Orlando is seeking to retain this year's first-round pick -- and convey its 2007 first-rounder to Detroit instead -- if the Magic's pick winds up in the top seven of the June draft. The deal would collapse if the sides can't come to a resolution -- with Detroit looking to reduce Orlando's level of protection by a few spots -- but it's clear the Pistons have made the decision to move Milicic before the Feb. 23 trading deadline after giving him a chance to earn a rotation spot under new coach Flip Saunders.

Milicic hasn't played much more for Saunders than he did for Larry Brown, unleashing a new wave of second-guesses on Detroit's decision to draft the Serbian 7-footer over Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade ... even though the Pistons won the championship in Darko's rookie season and came within one game of a repeat title last season.

Yet, even if Milicic had established himself as a rotation regular under Saunders, it's doubtful the Pistons could have afforded to retain him beyond this summer. With Ben Wallace bound for free agency in July and Chauncey Billups expected to seek a lucrative contract extension before becoming a free agent in the summer of 2007, Detroit needs Cato's expiring contract ($8.6 million this season) to create the salary-cap space to re-sign both comfortably and keep together its vaunted starting lineup.

After Wallace and Billups re-sign, all five Pistons starters will possess contracts averaging at least $10 million per season -- an NBA rarity but a necessity for Pistons president Joe Dumars given the success and relative youth (Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace are both 31) of the group.

While Orlando continues to explore its Steve Francis trade options, this move would give Milicic a chance to play immediately alongside franchise forward Dwight Howard. It might also eventually give the Magic two highly touted but unproven European big men for its frontcourt rotation, with the Magic still hopeful they will have 2005 first-round pick Fran Vazquez (who controversially elected to play in Spain this season) in the near future

Pistons < Spurs
02-14-2006, 11:35 PM
:depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed

spurs=bling
02-14-2006, 11:39 PM
:depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-032.gif
some of us spurs fans had the same feeling last year too. i know how you feel.

MI21
02-14-2006, 11:40 PM
Hopefully no one wants to trade for him.

I'd prefer Detroit to keep the incredibly useless Darko rather than pick up another servicable player.

rascal
02-14-2006, 11:47 PM
Imagine if Det was smart and drafted Wade, Carmelo or Bosh. Here is a case where the fans were smarter than the Det. management. Most fans wanted Anthony over Darko Milicic.

milkyway21
02-14-2006, 11:59 PM
While Orlando continues to explore its Steve Francis trade options, this move would give Milicic a chance to play immediately alongside franchise forward Dwight Howard. Ben is 31. Darko is young but unproven in the middle, thanks to Brown & Flip, then there's Steve Francis who said he wants OUT of Orlando.

But i like the idea of big men Howard and Darko as starters. Who knows?

------------
*The Magic do not like any of the trade offers they've received for Steve Francis, although there are rumblings that the three-way New York, Denver and Orlando deal has been revived. The club expects the deals to improve substantially the closer they get to the Feb. 23 deadline. -- Orlando Sentinel

George Karl downplayed Denver's need to make a trade by the Feb. 23 deadline, saying, 'I think we're having a very good year.' Orlando guard Steve Francis has been mentioned as a target for the Nuggets. -- Rocky Mountain News

Steve Francis said Monday that he likely won't be able to turn around his lackluster play until the Magic trades him or not. :rolleyes
If that's the case, the slumping preoccupied point guard and the 19-31 Magic -- clinging to playoff hopes -- have four more games to play until the Feb. 23 trade deadline. -- Orlando Sentinel

Pistons < Spurs
02-15-2006, 12:00 AM
Imagine if Det was smart and drafted Wade, Carmelo or Bosh. Here is a case where the fans were smarter than the Det. management. Most fans wanted Anthony over Darko Milicic.

Some did want Carmello...but I definetly wouldn't say it was "most fans".

As for Wade....no one would have taken him that high. He's suprised alot of people.

Bosh may haver been a possibility....but not very likely.

Many GM's/teams said they too would have taken Darko...I even recall some people saying that they would possibly take Darko w/ the #1 pick.

I do not blame the management for taking him. I may blame them for getting rid of him........

I definetly do not want to see him go. I beleive in 2 or 3 years he will be a very solid player. But I am partly happy for him if he does go. At least he will get a chance to play and improve.

SlasherX
02-15-2006, 12:04 AM
take alook @ 2003 nba pre draft almost everyone has darko projected #2 after Lebron.

rascal
02-15-2006, 12:11 AM
take alook @ 2003 nba pre draft almost everyone has darko projected #2 after Lebron.
Then they srewed up. The fans were right on this one.

Most fans wanted Anthony over Darko.

Carmelo was a proven college scoring star to the fans. Darko was an unknown, young foreign white center. No way he had the upside that Carmelo had.
He was more likely to fail then Carmelo.

Its another case where the gm's over rate a player because of size.

timvp
02-15-2006, 12:13 AM
I can't believe the Pistons are giving up on him. After all the talk about how he was as good as LeBron but just didn't get enough playing time, they trade him for Cato? Pretty damn funny.

Cato is pretty good at guarding Shaq and the Pistons get rid of Arroyo and his contract. So it's not all bad for the Pistons. But I remember a time Darko was supposed to be the white David Robinson.

SlasherX
02-15-2006, 12:26 AM
pistons could sign Jay Williams, He was spotted at Dumars Field House over the weekend. Joe has said that if he trades arroyo he's gonna get a back up PG. maybe he can get a steal just like dice. I'm guessing he's gonna try him out and stuff over the break. Or signa 10 day contract/

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-15-2006, 12:27 AM
Darko, from what I read anyway, has a somewhat questionable work ethic.

But I understand that he's a very skilled player. Maybe he'll do better on a team that gives him the on-court time to improve.

I'd say the jury is still out on what caliber of NBA player he's capable of being. But he would never of reached his potential on the Pistons, so getting him out is probably good for both parties.

Cato? I guess he's another big man for the stable. I don't see him seeing much more court time than Darko.

Pistons < Spurs
02-15-2006, 12:30 AM
Cato will be cut/waived....from what we're hearing at least.

Rumor says we may bring back Eldenn Campbell..................who knows.

timvp
02-15-2006, 12:42 AM
pistons could sign Jay Williams, He was spotted at Dumars Field House over the weekend. Joe has said that if he trades arroyo he's gonna get a back up PG. maybe he can get a steal just like dice. I'm guessing he's gonna try him out and stuff over the break. Or signa 10 day contract/

I don't think a guy who doesn't have feeling in one of his legs is going to make too much of a difference in a championship run.

Who is going to be the backup point guard? Hunter or perhaps Acker?

Pandaemonaeon
02-15-2006, 12:50 AM
What happens to Fran Vasquez then?

Pistons < Spurs
02-15-2006, 12:55 AM
I don't think a guy who doesn't have feeling in one of his legs is going to make too much of a difference in a championship run.

Who is going to be the backup point guard? Hunter or perhaps Acker?

Great question. I hope Dumars has an answer. :rolleyes

I know this will help us financially, but I think this deal sucks. No way Hunter can be our backup. And while I like what little I've seen of Acker, I have to believe he is far away from truly helping us.

Kori Ellis
02-15-2006, 12:56 AM
The Sonics are looking to deal Flip Murray (if they pick up another PG). He sucks, but he might be a better backup than Hunter/Acker.

Pistons < Spurs
02-15-2006, 12:56 AM
What happens to Fran Vasquez then?

I've heard the Pistons may get the rights to him.

T Park
02-15-2006, 01:18 AM
This a bad deal by the Pistons IMO.

This will hurt them for this year too.

Billups can't play every minute of the game, and when he goes out, who will they have??

Im sure Dumars has a trade for like, Jason Kidd to be the backup on the phone.

If this is a cost cutting deal, for Ben Wallace, strange.

I guess I could partially be HOPING it hurts the pistons (sorry pistons fans, its just bidness) but I think this shortens the bench.

BTW,

if the Pistons cut Cato, whos up for signing him? Rebounds decent, plugs the lane.

Eh eh???

FreshPrince22
02-15-2006, 01:40 AM
Cato will be cut/waived....from what we're hearing at least.

Rumor says we may bring back Eldenn Campbell..................who knows.

For some reason I doubt we'll waive him. This is a 2-for-1 anyways, so we'll still have an open roster spot. There is no point in just getting rid of him. If anything he's a fat guy that can stick to Shaq. All of our bigs are a bit too lean.

midgetonadonkey
02-15-2006, 01:58 AM
but I think this shortens the bench.

I didn't know their bench can get any shorter. Looks like they will have a 6 man rotation for the playoffs.

bdubya
02-15-2006, 02:17 AM
Great question. I hope Dumars has an answer. :rolleyes

I know this will help us financially, but I think this deal sucks. No way Hunter can be our backup. And while I like what little I've seen of Acker, I have to believe he is far away from truly helping us.

Based on how he looked tonight, Hunter will still be as good a one-on-one defender as we have (once he's in game shape), and although his offense is lacking, it's no worse than Arroyo's. Plus, there should no longer be any doubt that Delfino can fill in for Tayshaun just fine, thankyouverymuch, and that frees up Tay for spot minutes at the 1 if needed.

I still don't like the deal, but it's starting to look more likely. The spin on the wasted pick has already been written, with McCosky's "Dumars has never feared failure" article: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060214/SPORTS0102/602140396/1127

FreshPrince22
02-15-2006, 02:38 AM
I didn't know their bench can get any shorter. Looks like they will have a 6 man rotation for the playoffs.

Carlos Delfino.

There, I warned you in advance.

slayermin
02-15-2006, 02:40 AM
http://atifonline.net/pistons/images/SheedRearviewHQ.jpg

Yo, man. This is a photoshop pic by a Spurs Fan. Your version doesn't make sense.

Why does Rasheed have that look on his face if the Spurs aren't gaining on him?

bdubya
02-15-2006, 02:49 AM
http://atifonline.net/pistons/images/SheedRearviewHQ.jpg

Why does Rasheed have that look on his face if the Spurs aren't gaining on him?

'cause he just got whistled for looking at Ginobili in the rearview, and is now about to earn himself a T.

slayermin
02-15-2006, 02:50 AM
'cause he just got whistled for looking at Ginobili in the rearview, and is now about to earn himself a T.

:lol

Where's the ref?

T Park
02-15-2006, 02:53 AM
"that frees up Tay for spot minutes at the 1 if needed. "

I see.

Id like to see that in the Finals.

Prince guarding Parker that is.

And BTW, Delfino is a stud, but, isn't he the same one that pretty much quit on the team before the season last year??

Sure, I did, but I have zero affect, unless you count reverse mojo as an "affect"

FreshPrince22
02-15-2006, 03:13 AM
"that frees up Tay for spot minutes at the 1 if needed. "

I see.

Id like to see that in the Finals.

Prince guarding Parker that is.

Prince wouldn't be guarding parker. Arroyo was suspended the last time we played the Spurs, and Prince ran the point in that game for 6-7 minutes. We have guys like Rip and Lindsey that we can throw on Parker defensively when Tayshaun is running the show.

And BTW, Delfino is a stud, but, isn't he the same one that pretty much quit on the team before the season last year??

Larry Brown quit on him, and he quit on Larry because of it. If Larry was still here there is no doubt in my mind that Delfino would be on a different team.

Delfino is one of those rare players that can have a big impact on the game without scoring a whole lot. He absolutely locked down Paul Pierce earlier in the year. Single handidly sparking a big comeback in that game. He guarded Wade incredibly well the other day as well. Held him to 1 point in the 13 minutes he was on him. And today he absolutely frustrated the crap out of Vince Carter. Rip picked up a quick 4th foul within a minute of the 2nd half starting. In comes Delfino. He forced Vince into 3 TOs, 2 bad shots, and blocked one of his shots. It even got to the point where Vince was throwing elbows and pushing him off. Most importantly, he sparked a 22-4 run when he came in. And while playing that entire 3rd quarter the Pistons D looked spectacular. Held them to 11 points.

I just find it hillarious when all of these "Star" players see this young foreign player on them, and insist on forcing it. Most of the time turning it over or throwing up some awful brick with Delfino all over them. He is definately a big difference maker.

timvp
02-15-2006, 03:20 AM
I just find it hillarious when all of these "Star" players see this young euro on them, and insist on forcing it.

Prepare for war.

FreshPrince22
02-15-2006, 03:34 AM
Prepare for war.

why? There is definately a stereotype that young foreign players play no defense. And frankly, most of them don't.

mavsfan1000
02-15-2006, 03:37 AM
Well if Flip is going to run Billups into the ground he might as well do it without a backup. Obviously the bench means little to Flip.

timvp
02-15-2006, 03:40 AM
why? There is definately a stereotype that young European players play no defense. And frankly, most of them don't.

He is from Argentina.

bdubya
02-15-2006, 03:46 AM
why? There is definately a stereotype that young European players play no defense. And frankly, most of them don't.

YM "Euroleague", right? I'm just guessing here, but could the "war" in question be about putting the "Euro" tag on an Argentine?

caŽlo
02-15-2006, 03:49 AM
He is from Argentina.

heres another hint.

M.G.

hehe

Slo spurs fan
Isn´t Darko still only 20 years old?
I think he will be good - very good player if he will have tough coach, who will belive in him and give him some PT.

Slo spurs fan
And he must change his working ethics ass well.

timvp
02-15-2006, 04:25 AM

Get his ass in gear, if you will.

:smokin

mavsfan1000
02-15-2006, 04:30 AM
Dumb trade by Detroit. DARKO POWER has got to be depressed after this:lol http://www.freewebs.com/laisshit834/bio.htm :lmao

FreshPrince22
02-15-2006, 04:34 AM
He is from Argentina.

OK, I fixed it. The point was that he came up playing in European basketball leagues. That typically don't teach much defense.

Rummpd
02-15-2006, 04:37 AM
Those that "were suprised" with Wade never saw him play in college he dominated most games even with double and triple teams, and you could see his athletism then and his maturity. He was married with a wife and kid and just seemed more mature than the other athletes in college (my dad played over 40 years ago for the Marquette JV team and follows them very closely and we went to several games together). Fact is that Detroit when for unproven height and possible potential in Darko over skill in the case of both Anthony or Wade period.

Personally though i think Magic getting the top of this deal - he is still worth more than a draft choice in the 8 and up range and CA if that is what is settled on - not be surprised to see him still turn into a decent NBA player.

Detroit getting Cato though could be worrysome = he has never reached his potential but is athletic and could develop into another big to trouble Duncan.

Slo spurs fan
02-15-2006, 04:40 AM
Get his ass in gear, if you will.

:smokin
I am not his coach................yet! :smokin

FreshPrince22
02-15-2006, 04:59 AM
Those that "were suprised" with Wade never saw him play in college he dominated most games even with double and triple teams, and you could see his athletism then and his maturity. He was married with a wife and kid and just seemed more mature than the other athletes in college (my dad played over 40 years ago for the Marquette JV team and follows them very closely and we went to several games together). Fact is that Detroit when for unproven height and possible potential in Darko over skill in the case of both Anthony or Wade period.

Personally though i think Magic getting the top of this deal - he is still worth more than a draft choice in the 8 and up range and CA if that is what is settled on - not be surprised to see him still turn into a decent NBA player.

Detroit getting Cato though could be worrysome = he has never reached his potential but is athletic and could develop into another big to trouble Duncan.

Dale Davis would be more likely to see Duncan than Cato would. The only thing Cato is is an expiring contract that guarantees the Pistons can re-sign Ben and Chauncey without turning into a salary cap nightmare. He would also be pretty decent against Shaq I'd assume. As it is most of our bigs weigh 235-245. Cato is a guy that has enough bulk to not get completely manhandled by Shaq come playoff time (ie Elden Campbell). Otherwise it would just be to save money for Big Ben's payday. Or he could be thrown in a deal to bring in a player who's team is trying to dump salary (Sheed anyone?)

Who knows what happens with the pick. The draft looks kind of weak right now, and we don't know the details on the pick, so who knows what will happen with that. If it turned into a top 5-6 pick they could probably still get a pretty darn good player, but who knows.

mavsfan1000
02-15-2006, 05:08 AM
Dumars compounds his mistake with another. Hopefully I am proven wrong but losing a backup point guard along with Darko over an underachieving Kelvin Cato sounds really dumb.

FreshPrince22
02-15-2006, 05:31 AM
Dumars compounds his mistake with another. Hopefully I am proven wrong but losing a backup point guard along with Darko over an underachieving Kelvin Cato sounds really dumb.

We'll see. Most people were calling for Arroyo to be replaced anyways (me included). And today during the Pistons broadcast Joe said that if Arroyo was dealt he would be actively seeking a replacement. I have a hunch that he has someone up his sleeve already.

And don't bother calling Cato "underachieving". If he is dealt to the Pistons it will be for his expiring 8.6 Million dollar deal. Not what he does on the court. People tend to forget that that big of an expiring deal can be pretty valuable to a team looking to dump contracts to get under the cap at the deadline. How do you think Dumars got Sheed? Throw in a pick or two with Cato's deal and who knows what a team is likely to do?

jochhejaam
02-15-2006, 07:04 AM
I can't believe the Pistons are giving up on him. After all the talk about how he was as good as LeBron but just didn't get enough playing time, they trade him for Cato? Pretty damn funny.

Cato is pretty good at guarding Shaq and the Pistons get rid of Arroyo and his contract. So it's not all bad for the Pistons. But I remember a time Darko was supposed to be the white David Robinson.
I agree with MI21, Darko's not being used and is extra baggage at this point in time. My question is what are the Pistons going to do about the PG situation?

A wasted draft pick but if we had drafted Anthony we probably wouldn't have ended up with Rasheed (not to mention Anthony plays SF like Tayshaun) and probably no championship.

Joe D's not known for his complacency, he's a mover and most of the moves he's made have turned out well for us Pistons fans.

FreshPrince22
02-15-2006, 07:37 AM
I wouldn't be shocked to see Dumars snag Earl Watson from Denver. They gave him a pretty decent sized contract because they thought Andre Miller was going to Boston. Now they have a ton of money stuck in 3 PGs. They may want to get rid of that contract, and essentially just erase that mistake. It could be something like Watson and Lenard (filler) for Cato and the T-Wolves pick.

That would give the Pistons a great bench trio of Watson, Delfino, and McDyess. Then throw in Hunter, Dale Davis, and Maurice Evans and that bench is looking pretty damn good. As it is I've always thought the bench was just a PG away from putting it all together.

Pistons < Spurs
02-15-2006, 08:52 AM
Magic deal reported near.

BY JOHN DENTON
FLORIDA TODAY

MIAMI - The Orlando Magic have discussed a deal sending injured center Kelvin Cato and a future first-round pick to Detroit for power forward Darko Milicic and point guard Carlos Arroyo.

Magic assistant general manager Otis Smith told FLORIDA TODAY on Friday the deal was in the works. Tuesday, he denied an ESPN.com report the deal was close to finalized.

"I don't have a deal at this time," Smith said. "It's still a ways away. It's 50-50 right now."

Adding Arroyo would give the Magic five point guards on the roster and could trigger another blockbuster move involving Steve Francis. Denver and New York are rumored to have interest in the three-time All-Star.

The holdup is the protection of the draft pick the Magic would be giving up. Orlando wants to retain the pick if it is one of the top seven of this June's draft. If that happens, Detroit would get the Magic's 2007 draft pick.

Milicic, 20, was the second overall choice of the 2003 NBA Draft -- ahead of Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade -- but has played sparingly the past three seasons

WalterBenitez
02-15-2006, 09:04 AM
I hope Darko starts to play, I have a great expectation about the #2 selection ... I bet he'll do a decent job

1Parker1
02-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Orlando must have a trade for Steve Francis up their sleave. Why else would they agree to trade that includes Carlos Arroyo...they have Steve Francis, Jameer Nelson, and then a 3rd PG Arroyo?

Pistons < Spurs
02-15-2006, 09:11 AM
Orlando must have a trade for Steve Francis up their sleave. Why else would they agree to trade that includes Carlos Arroyo...they have Steve Francis, Jameer Nelson, and then a 3rd PG Arroyo?

Yep. Francis to New York makes Nelson the starter, and Arroyo the backup!

1Parker1
02-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Yep. Francis to New York makes Nelson the starter, and Arroyo the backup!

Francis to NY? Then they'd have Marbury and Francis sitting on the bench? That would mean a third team may be involved in that trade.

Although I wouldn't be suprised if Francis gets traded to NY...that team is built on over-inflated players with over-inflated salaries greater than their worth. He'd fit right in :lol

ploto
02-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Darko is going to develop into more of player than people think. He got drafted by the wrong team.

timvp
02-15-2006, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't be shocked to see Dumars snag Earl Watson from Denver. They gave him a pretty decent sized contract because they thought Andre Miller was going to Boston. Now they have a ton of money stuck in 3 PGs. They may want to get rid of that contract, and essentially just erase that mistake. It could be something like Watson and Lenard (filler) for Cato and the T-Wolves pick.

That would give the Pistons a great bench trio of Watson, Delfino, and McDyess. Then throw in Hunter, Dale Davis, and Maurice Evans and that bench is looking pretty damn good. As it is I've always thought the bench was just a PG away from putting it all together.

Watson to Detroit? They are shedding money, not taking more on.

Plus, Denver has much better offers on the table.

WalterBenitez
02-15-2006, 10:23 AM

One thing links to another, TP under Larry Brown's hands would have some difficult moments, instead of that POP decided to develop the kid and now he's an All Star.

Don't forget he was a teen ager, from Europe (I mean foreigner), selected #2 ... you expect to play, instead of that you live in a doghouse, treated of asshole in public, wow ...

Since Flip arrived, looks different, I think Flip don't trust in Darko's working ethic, that's too bad for Darko, but anyway Orlando will be a new begining

Sec24Row7
02-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Actually darko is a euro :blah

Detriot owes orlando a good deal after orlando traded them Wallace.

Dunno though, in the times I have seen Darko play, it looks like he doesn't have any desire to win at all.

I hope LB didn't ruin him.

DarkReign
02-15-2006, 11:12 AM
With Steve Franchise being rumored to NY (with Orlando's potential glut of PGs), and rumor has it that Arroyo and Darko to Orlando...

I see a 3 team deal. I have no idea what would be returned to Detroit beyond Cato and a 1st pick. But it just seems too impossible that the amount of $$ moving between Orlando and NY wouldnt involve a 3rd team. Seeing as Detroit and Orlando are already in talks, seems obvious.

Pure speculation. A quick check of NYs roster bears no fruit for me either.

Pistons < Spurs
02-15-2006, 11:57 AM
DARKO, ARROYO UPDATE...

The deal that will send Carlos Arroyo and Darko Milicic to Orlando for Kelvin Cato (and his expiring contract) and a first round draft pick is on the Magic right now. The Pistons have signed off on the deal, and are waiting to hear back from Orlando regarding the draft pick.

Detroit wants it to be a top-10 selection, while the Magic front office is deciding whether to give up this year's pick, or offer Detroit their 2007 first round pick.

If they offer the 2007 pick, that could blow up the entire deal. Detroit knows Orlando's pick in June will be a lottery pick, so that's the one they want. And considering they're giving up a former No. 2 pick and the backup point guard to the team with the league's best record, they want to make the draft pick as potentially high in the lottery as possible.

I spoke with a league official a few minutes ago who said the deal could be done as soon as today, but a lot right now depends on the Magic and how quickly (or willingly) their front office can reach a consensus on what to do.

This whole situation illustrates how Joe D. and company have it so much better than a lot of front office executives. Team owner Bill Davidson has an unbelievable amount of trust in Joe and his ability to make sound basketball decisions, and allows Joe to make these type of decisions without having to go through a lot of the red tape a lot of other GM-types have to do.

ajh18
02-15-2006, 01:32 PM
With Steve Franchise being rumored to NY (with Orlando's potential glut of PGs), and rumor has it that Arroyo and Darko to Orlando...

I see a 3 team deal. I have no idea what would be returned to Detroit beyond Cato and a 1st pick. But it just seems too impossible that the amount of $$ moving between Orlando and NY wouldnt involve a 3rd team. Seeing as Detroit and Orlando are already in talks, seems obvious.

Pure speculation. A quick check of NYs roster bears no fruit for me either.

What about Francis for Malik and QRich? Let Orlando rebuild with Jameer Nelson at the point and with Arroyo as a backup, Hill, Richardson and Turkoglu platooning at the 2 and 3, and Howard, Darko, and Malik in the post. They'll struggle for a year or two, maybe pick up a good pick in the lottery after next year (since the Pistons look to be getting this year's), and benefit from the mentoring of Rose and Hill. Bring over Vazques and that's a good, young, athletic team to build on for the future.

angel_luv
02-15-2006, 01:50 PM
I really like the idea of Malik in Orlando.

I've thought that for a few months now but didn't know if a trade to do that was possible.

T Park
02-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Orlando wouldn't want another broken down diminishing skills forward in Malik.

Orlando would be smart if they traded Francis to New York, to ask for

Jamal Crawford, David Lee, and Jerome James.

angel_luv
02-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Malik has heart and talent. I think he just needs to get situated in the right role on the right team.

Hedo is a great example of that. He did good here, but now that he's found his niche in Orlando, Hedo's playing awesome.

ajh18
02-15-2006, 02:20 PM
The reason you do Malik instead of James is that his contract is 2 years shorter. It saves the Magic 13 million to take malik instead, and resigning Darko, Howard, etc is going to require that money down the road. Also, while Malik is no nba starter at this point, if we're honest, Jerome James isn't either. You don't want that contract on the books long-term, and his playing time is better served going to Darko and Howard. Build around those two and Vazques in the post.

Crawford vs Richardson is a tossup. I went with Richardson because he is more of a pure swingman, while Crawford is more a hybrid point/shooting guard. Hill has hinted at retiring, and I think QRich could fill that spot well down the road. That's just a personal preference though.

Oh, and I would MUCH rather have Malik's work ethic rub off on my young players than Jerome James'.

T Park
02-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Yeah lets hope the Magic players could perfect the pulling the jersey over th ehead instead of getting back on defense move.

Malik has heart and talent

Heart yes.

Talent? No, never, and if he did, its gone now.

If he did, he wouldn't be a 8 million dollar 13th man in New York.

THAT SIMPLE.

T Park
02-15-2006, 02:32 PM
BTW, doing James instead of Rose is a favor to the Knicks.

So you can get a talented big in David Lee, and a good SG/PG in Jamal Crawford.

Gotta take to get.

FreshPrince22
02-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Watson to Detroit? They are shedding money, not taking more on.

Plus, Denver has much better offers on the table.

1st, the deal is for the pick. Shedding salary is secondary.
2nd, Shipping out Arroyo and Darko and getting Watson back still sheds Arroyo's 4 million per year deal.

ABDENOUR POWER
02-15-2006, 03:32 PM
I already made a thread about this.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-15-2006, 08:10 PM
DarkNooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Ok, don't really care about Darko, but what does JoeD have up his sleeve to replace Arroyo(is he still dribbling?)

Please don't be Spree. Please don't be Spree...

BTW, sources say the deal is done for Cato and a 2007 1st...

angel_luv
02-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Poor Darko. The Finals this year won't be the same without our good ol victory cigar.
:angel

At least Darko and Carlos can start over together ( as opposed to getting shipped out alone.

I don't want the Spurs to have any package deals though- I want to keep everybody.

CharlieMac
02-15-2006, 11:13 PM

God damn. Have you held on to him since I made you those offers at the beginning of the season?

Pistons < Spurs
02-16-2006, 12:00 AM
Poor Darko. The Finals this year won't be the same without our good ol victory cigar.
:angel

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/9591/darko3hn.jpg