PDA

View Full Version : Manu: "I didn't deserve to be in the ASG"

kolko
02-15-2006, 12:13 AM
"Estoy en Filadelfia esperando el partido de mañana [por hoy] con los Sixers, el último de esta gira de ocho fuera de casa. Recién vuelvo de comer en un restaurante del centro, fuimos con Fabricio [Oberto] y Sean Mark, así que aprovecharé estas horas para recuperarme de algunos golpecitos y aplicarme hielo en el tobillo, que con el trajín de tantos partidos seguidos todavía me duele un poco. Lo importante es que ya perdí el miedo, pese a que todavía no estoy en plenitud.

"Aunque es un día tranquilo, para descansar, no estoy contento porque ayer [anteanoche] perdimos con Cleveland el primero de los siete partidos jugados como visitantes. Y si bien el balance es positivo, da pena esta derrota porque habíamos empezado muy bien la gira y queríamos ganar todos los juegos. No digo que veníamos jugamos brillante, pero algo mejoramos, especialmente en el manejo de los cierres. Eso sí, reconozco que algunos de esos partidos, como con Toronto e Indiana, los ganamos de milagro. Creo que el equipo demuestra experiencia y buen entendimiento en esos finales complicados. Es como que nos enchufamos, nos concentramos más y defendemos como se debe en esos tres minutos finales. Vamos a ver qué sucede con los Sixers, si perdemos será una gira normal, aunque no negativa.

"Con Cleveland no jugamos bien. Tim [Duncan] todavía no terminó de recuperarse de una gripe que lo tuvo bastante debilitado y, encima, LeBron James tuvo una gran actuación [44 puntos]. La verdad, está tremendo, impresionante. Físicamente es un tren, está muy fino con el aro, tira de afuera, penetra, define con las dos manos... A nosotros, como se dice acá, «nos faltó jugo», que es como decir que nos faltó pila. Creo que sentimos el cansancio; habíamos jugado la noche anterior en Indianápolis con los Pacers un partido muy duro. Tuve suerte de meter dos tiros complicados y sacamos a flote un juego que parecía perdido.

"Respecto de la fiesta que se viene en Houston, la de All Star, en la que no voy a estar porque no fui elegido, tengo que decir que no estoy amargado ni triste. Realmente no merecía estar en el Juego de las Estrellas. Lo sabía desde mucho antes. Mi arranque de temporada no fue tan bueno como en otras, estuve lesionado y me perdí varios partidos. Además, todos los jugadores que fueron convocados rindieron más que yo, así que ni fuerza hice para olvidar que no me hayan elegido. Además, esta época es genial porque suceda lo que suceda está bien. Si te eligen para el Juego, es bueno porque te sentís reconocido. Si no te eligen, también es bueno porque aprovechás para tomarte unos días de vacaciones. Así que yo me iré por aquí cerca -no quiero seguir viajando mucho en avión- para cambiar de aire un poco, estar tranquilo y olvidarme por unos días de la pelota.

"Es importante empezar de la mejor forma esta última etapa previa a los playoffs. Quedarán 30 partidos para terminar la serie regular y es la más dura, cuando todos los equipos buscan terminar en la mejor posición. El All Star siempre es un quiebre en la temporada. Y aunque yo no soy de los que creen que hay partidos clave, entiendo que los dos que nos quedan por jugar con los Mavericks (1ro. en el Oeste, aunque con igual récord que los Spurs: 40-11), uno el 2 de marzo en San Antonio y el otro el 7 de abril de visitante, serán muy especiales. Pueden definir una posición importante porque desde que cada conferencia se fracciona en tres divisiones, si no ganás en la tuya y quedás segundo en realidad sos N° 4 para los playoffs, porque el N° 2 y el N° 3 quedan para los vencedores de las otras divisiones. Y como Dallas está en la misma que nosotros, es muy importante ganarle por un posible empate. Lo bueno es que ahora tenemos varios partidos en casa y no vamos a viajar tanto ni andaremos haciendo bolsos a cada rato."

Manu

Link (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/780799)

I am in Philadelphia waiting for tomorrow's game against the Sixers, the last one of this Road Trip of eigth games away from home. I've just returned from having dinner at a restaurant with Fabricio and Sean Marks so I will be taking advantage of this hours to recover from some little blows and to apply some ice in my ankle, which is still hurting me with all the games we played recently. The most important thing is that I've already lost the fear, although I'm not in fullness yet.

Although it's a calm day, to rest, I'm not happy because we lost our first game of the trip yesterday to Cleveland. And despite of the positive balance, it hurts because we started the trip very well and we wanted to win every game of it. I don't say we were playing brilliant, but we improved a little bit specially in closing the games. However, I admit that we won some games (like Toronto and Indiana) by miracle. I think that the team shows experience and good understanding in this complicated ends of games. It's like we concentrate better and defend like we should in those three last minutes. If we lose to the Sixers, it will be a normal trip, but not a negative one.

We didn't play well against Cleveland. Tim hasn't still recover from a flu that had complicated him and, moreover, Lebron James had a great game. To be honest, he is playing tremendous, impressive. Physically he is a train, he shoots from outside, penetrates and finishes with two hands. We felt the fatigue; we have played the night before in Indianapolis against the Pacers a very close game. I was lucky of making two tough shots and we won a game that we almost lost.

About the party that is coming in Houston, the All Star, which I won't be because I wasn't selected, I have to say that i'm not sad. I really didn't deserve to be in the All Star Game. I knew it for a long time. My start of the season wasn't as good as last ones, I was injured and missed a lot of games. And every player selected deserved it more than me. So i didn't even try to forget that i wasn't selected. This time of the year is great also because of whatever happens it's ok. If you are selected to the game, it's good because you feel recognized. And if you aren't selected, it's good also because you take advantage of the free days to have a little vacation. So I'm going to a place near San Antonio (I don't want to keep flying) to change air, be quiet and forget about basketball for some days.

It's important to start in the best way this last stage of the season. There are 30 games left to finish the regular season and it's the hardest, when every team wants to finish in the best position. The All Star is always a break in the season. And although i don't believe in key games, I understand that the two games against the Mavericks, one on March 2nd in San Antonio and the other one on April 7th away, will be very special. It can define an important position because now that every conference is divided in three division, if you don't win your division you will be 4th in the playoffs, because the second and third places are for the division winners. And Dallas is in our division so it's very important to win for a possible tie breaker. It's good that we have a few games at home and we will not be travelling too much or packing luggage every day.

Manu

timvp
02-15-2006, 12:45 AM
If Duncan is in the All-Star game, Manu should be there.

[/threadignite]

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-15-2006, 12:47 AM
Timmy would have probably preferred the time off.

ObiwanGinobili
02-15-2006, 12:50 AM
I love Manu.
:makeout

that post makes me love him more.

TMTTRIO
02-15-2006, 01:24 AM
Thanks for posting this. I love hearing from him. I'm actually happy that he's going to get some rest during this time off because he needs it.

will be taking advantage of this hours to recover from some little blows and to apply some ice in my ankle, which is still hurting me with all the games we played recently.
I heard on the Pop show today that he tweaked it again during last night's game. It didn't sound bad at all though.

So I'm going to a place near San Antonio (I don't want to keep flying) to change air, be quiet and forget about basketball for some days.
Hmmm, I wonder where he's going to go for vacation close to here :).

ca®lo
02-15-2006, 01:33 AM
good post.

props to manu.

Trainwreck2100
02-15-2006, 01:37 AM
"I didn't deserve to be in the ASG"

No shit.

T Park
02-15-2006, 01:40 AM
Manu needs the rest, so this is a blessing.

Have Mr Clutch, and Big shot get rested up for the playoff run :smokin

Sounds like hes going out in the hill country, to sleep, get massaged, and get his lovin on.

Can't blame him for not wanting to travel far.

BEEN THERE!!!!

circles_eternal
02-15-2006, 01:53 AM
I understand that the two games against the Mavericks, one on March 2nd in San Antonio and the other one on April 7th away, will be very special.

aren`t the two remaining games in SA?

anyway, great post. i love reading Manu`s blogs.

Solid D
02-15-2006, 02:39 AM
Manu is a terrific communicator. All of his interviews have plenty of insight as to what is going on, both on and off the court. No cliche's and no small talk. He's the anti-Hedo.

jochhejaam
02-15-2006, 07:18 AM
Manu just missed too many games to be selected IMO. He's definitely an all-star.

Old School Chic
02-15-2006, 07:46 AM
Muy buena entrevista... :spin

exstatic
02-15-2006, 08:20 AM
If Duncan is in the All-Star game, Manu should be there.

[/threadignite]
If Yao and Tracy are there, both Duncan AND Manu deserve to be.

WalterBenitez
02-15-2006, 08:21 AM
I admit that we won some games (like Toronto and Indiana) by miracle. I think that the team shows experience and good understanding in this complicated ends of games. It's like we concentrate better and defend like we should in those three last minutes. If we lose to the Sixers, it will be a normal trip, but not a negative one

Nice article, btw I was thinking about tonight's game ... what could happen if Sixers put AI over TP all the game?

timvp
02-15-2006, 08:21 AM
If Yao and Tracy are there, both Duncan AND Manu deserve to be.

Heck if Yao is there, Rasho might deserve a spot.

:hat

timvp
02-15-2006, 08:22 AM
Nice article, btw I was thinking about tonight's game ... what could happen if Sixers put AI over TP all the game?

TP historically struggles with bigger, stronger defenders. He'd have his way with AI.

ata
02-15-2006, 08:40 AM
Heck if Yao is there, Rasho might deserve a spot.

:hat

If Slovenia would have 1 300 000 000 residents, Rasho would be there :lol

Phenomanul
02-15-2006, 08:59 AM
I love Manu.
:makeout

that post makes me love him more.

Ahem... due to my gender I can't post that emoticon for Manu... but I sure would give him a hug and tell him, "Thanks for playing your heart out every game and thanks for representing the silver and black".... :smokin

carina_gino20
02-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Manu is really an intelligent player and this post supports that even more. He knows what he's talking about (it almost seems like he's reading the forums :lol) and he doesn't shy away from answering the "controversial" issues. Ginobili for president! :spin

Tony Soprano
02-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Can't blame him for not wanting to travel far.

BEEN THERE!!!!

You been everywhere at the same time.
All due respect.

1Parker1
02-15-2006, 09:29 AM
Damn, I wonder which restuarant they ate at last night in Philly! :smokin

Timmy's flue probably got worse after staying here for a day yesterday! There's still like 8 inches of snow and it's 20 degrees!

clooneyschick04
02-15-2006, 10:27 AM
"Thanks for playing your heart out every game and thanks for representing the silver and black".... :smokin

Agreed!! :tu :tu :tu

JamStone
02-15-2006, 10:41 AM
I can appreciate Manu's sentiments, and I think he's a wonderful player.

But, is this really a story? About 99% of people know that Manu didn't deserve to be in the all star game this year. It's not really news. It's nice that Manu is humble enough to say so, but we all pretty much new he wouldn't be going, especially because of his injuries and missed games.

If he were healthy this season, I suspect he might be going instead of Ray Allen. The fact that he is not going and he realizes he didn't deserve to go is not really a suprising development.

I love the humility. I don't know if it's noteworthy.

WalterBenitez
02-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Damn, I wonder which restuarant they ate at last night in Philly!

Do your homework searching any argentinean restaurant or where italian food is well served and take yr shot for next time :blah

carina_gino20
02-15-2006, 10:43 AM

Sure, it isn't noteworthy. I mean, all NBA Stars would accept it as humbly as manu did, right? :rolleyes

on the other hand, maybe it isn't noteworthy since it is typically manu... :lol

cheguevara
02-15-2006, 10:49 AM
I can appreciate Manu's sentiments, and I think he's a wonderful player.

But, is this really a story? About 99% of people know that Manu didn't deserve to be in the all star game this year. It's not really news. It's nice that Manu is humble enough to say so, but we all pretty much new he wouldn't be going, especially because of his injuries and missed games.

If he were healthy this season, I suspect he might be going instead of Ray Allen. The fact that he is not going and he realizes he didn't deserve to go is not really a suprising development.

he had to mention it 'cause of his Argetine fans. They don't get to watch too many games and don't really know why he wasn't picked.

carina_gino20
02-15-2006, 10:58 AM
true. as cheguevara said. or else argentina is going to declare war against David Stern and Co. :lol

abelle23
02-15-2006, 11:13 AM
i think its wonderful that he takes time to write to his fans....

thanks manu!!!

WalterBenitez
02-15-2006, 12:23 PM
argentina is going to declare war against David Stern and

:oops war??, nahhhh
BTW, do you know where Mr. David Stern live? we want to send him a postcard :D

Sportman
02-15-2006, 12:27 PM
i think its wonderful that he takes time to write to his fans....

thanks manu!!!

Yes that´s nice but that´s not all because he chats with his fans through his web site, too.

angel_luv
02-15-2006, 12:58 PM
I will be taking advantage of this hours to recover from some little blows and to apply some ice in my ankle, which is still hurting me with all the games we played recently. The most important thing is that I've already lost the fear, although I'm not in fullness yet.
The having no fear and getting rest part is encouraging, but I am sorry to hear Gino is still hurting.
I'm also sad that Timmy is still sick. Although I did suspect that. When I saw Timmy on t.v. the other day, he still doesn't look like himself.

However, I admit that we won some games (like Toronto and Indiana) by miracle.

I was praying. You're welcome. :angel :lol

I think that the team shows experience and good understanding in this complicated ends of games. It's like we concentrate better and defend like we should in those three last minutes.

I agree

So I'm going to a place near San Antonio (I don't want to keep flying) to change air, be quiet and forget about basketball for some days.

The beach, maybe?

I understand that the two games against the Mavericks, one on March 2nd in San Antonio and the other one on April 7th away, will be very special. It can define an important position because now that every conference is divided in three division, if you don't win your division you will be 4th in the playoffs, because the second and third places are for the division winners. And Dallas is in our division so it's very important to win for a possible tie breaker. It's good that we have a few games at home and we will not be travelling too much or packing luggage every day. -Manu

From what I understand from the schedule, both Dallas games are at home. Hopefully that helps our cause.

Very nice article. I am so happy to have heard from Gino. I miss him.

P.S. Sportman- I saw your pic on Gino's offical fan page. :)

aaronstampler
02-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Manu is really an intelligent player and this post supports that even more. He knows what he's talking about (it almost seems like he's reading the forums :lol) and he doesn't shy away from answering the "controversial" issues. Ginobili for president! :spin

I sent you a message, but in case you didn't get it, I just wanted to say that Ginobili ambiagram is awesome, and I wanted to know it you have a link for it.

Phenomanul
02-15-2006, 06:04 PM
I sent you a message, but in case you didn't get it, I just wanted to say that Ginobili ambiagram is awesome, and I wanted to know it you have a link for it.

They would make great rims or... be the signature for his shoes...

carina_gino20
02-15-2006, 08:54 PM

i made it myself... :spin

JHoLove
02-15-2006, 10:03 PM
While it's sweet, and Manu is a great player, but does he deserve the all-star more than carmelo?