PDA

View Full Version : Team needs

Peter
02-15-2006, 11:32 AM
With the trade deadline approaching, it's time to think about potential tweaks to the roster. Adding another swing couldn't hurt at this point. Ideally they could add a 'big 3', someone to give them a little more size in the swing rotation in spots. Glenn Robinson was a nice fit to that end last season, but he's now out of the league. They don't necessarily need a trade to accomplish this, but with Mohammed's future with the team past this season in doubt, it is possible that he could be moved for someone of value. Memphis remains a potential trading partner, with Lorenzen Wright seemingly on the way out there. A guy like Shane Battier would be a nice fit in the Spurs' system, but Memphis is playing decent ball now and may be hesitant to make such a move. It does appear that the Spurs will be over the luxury tax threshold, so they might not be too hesitant to add more salary in the form of a free agent signing. The bigger question is whether or not they would be willing to take on a significant non-expiring contract in a trade for Mohammed.

Other than in the swing rotation, the Spurs might think about adding a little more toughness and rebounding in the big rotation, though they are fairly stocked there with bodies. Seattle seems ready to jettison some players, including Reggie Evans.

cheguevara
02-15-2006, 11:43 AM
let's trade that scrub Manu for Battier. Battier will automatically become the X factor next to duncan. :elephant

Peter
02-15-2006, 11:45 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34693

Joepa
02-15-2006, 01:28 PM
I like the idea of trading Nazr because it doesn't look like we are going to be able to keep him at the end of the year. I really like Chris Wilcox, but with his recent trade that's out of the picture.

Peter
02-15-2006, 01:35 PM
If the center position was not so weak might I agree and, I would suspect, so would the Spurs. Keeping him for the remainder of the season and then letting him walk seems like the more natural result.

kskonn
02-15-2006, 03:11 PM
if it was possible to get a guy like Battier I think losing mohamed would be ok. Haqving a guy like him would allow Tim to play more center and less PF. This could do a lot for our rebounding problems.

T Park
02-15-2006, 03:28 PM
I think a move for athleticism and youth is what this team desperately needs.

The guards have gotten significantly older, with Barry having 1 more year, and Finley 2 more.

If you could somehow move Barry to a team needing a supposed shooting SG.

Someone like Denver, but they wont trade in the conference to a contender like the Spurs.

Maybe someone in the east? Primoz Brezec? Im sure landing another euro center would be frowned on, but I think Brezec has toughness, is a good rebounder, and, has a great outside shot.

A trade with Philadelphia for Hunter could be possible, with an ending contract in Mohammed going there, or maybe Udrih could go in helping bolster their backcourt off the bench.

To be honest, I don't really see anything, that is available, that would be worth going for.

leemajors
02-15-2006, 04:38 PM
didn't hunter get traded to nok?

FromWayDowntown
02-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Why on Earth would Charlotte deal Brezec for an aging shooter?

FromWayDowntown
02-15-2006, 04:50 PM
didn't hunter get traded to nok?

He did, but the trade was rescinded when the Hornets' doctors wouldn't pass Hunter on the physical.

T Park
02-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Why on Earth would Charlotte deal Brezec for an aging shooter?

Udrih, Scola's rights, Barry.

Young PG who would fit in great, a euro superstar forward to bring in.

Theyll be wanting to play Sean May and Okafor together anyways..

FromWayDowntown
02-15-2006, 05:51 PM
Udrih, Scola's rights, Barry.

Young PG who would fit in great, a euro superstar forward to bring in.

Theyll be wanting to play Sean May and Okafor together anyways..

They already have Raymond Felton as a PG who's put up decent numbers for a rookie playing on a really bad team.

The whole world knows that Scola's contract situation makes it highly unlikely that he'll be in the NBA anytime soon, and beyond that, why would Scola not impair the May/Okafor pairing where Brezec would? I don't get that at all.

Peter
02-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Tim Thomas would seem like a great candidate, though he's played little this season. Age 29 (in about 10 days), athletic 6'10" small forward with a solid outside J. Intriguing reclamation project.

T Park
02-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Yeah it is Peter.

If the Spurs can set his head straight, get him to play D, and hopefully his shot doesn't dissapear, like all shooter's shots seem to here in SA, then he would be the young LONG SF, weve been lookin for.