PDA

View Full Version : Okay Would It Be Right Today?

xrayzebra
02-15-2006, 03:17 PM
Here is an interesting little opinion piece that should really sit some of
our folks on this board on their head.

I might add, I agree with much of what he says. Enough is enough.
Gore needs to see a head doctor along with some on this board.

Should we prosecute sedition?
By Ben Shapiro

Feb 15, 2006

Last Sunday, former Vice President Al Gore spoke before the Jiddah Economic Forum. He told the mostly Saudi audience that the United States had committed "terrible atrocities" against Arabs after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. He stated that Arabs had been "indiscriminately rounded up" and detained in "unforgivable conditions." He criticized America's new immigration policy, which more carefully scrutinizes Saudi visas, explaining, "The thoughtless way in which visas are now handled, that is a mistake." Finally, he concluded, "There have been terrible abuses, and it's wrong. … I want you to know that it does not represent the desires or wishes or feelings of the majority of the citizens of my country."

These are outrageous statements. And the silence from the left is deafening. The Democratic National Committee told me that they had not released a statement regarding Gore's speech and had no plans to do so. The New York Times editorial board, the official outlet of the American left, wrote nary a word about the speech.

It is now considered bad form to criticize those who commit seditious acts against the United States. Challenging the patriotism of a traitor draws more ire than engaging in treasonable activities. Calling out those who undermine our nation creates more of a backlash than actually undermining our nation.

Let us consider, however, the probable consequences of Gore's mea culpa on behalf of the "majority" of his countrymen. No doubt his words will fuel the massive tide of propaganda spewing forth from Muslim dictatorships around the globe. No doubt his words will be used to bolster the credibility of horrific disinformation like the Turkish-made, Gary-Busey-and-Billy Zane-starring monstrosity "Valley of the Wolves: Iraq," which accuses American troops of war atrocities and depicts a Jewish-American doctor (Busey) slicing organs out of Arab victims and shipping the body parts off to New York, London and Israel. No doubt Gore's speech will precipitate additional violence against Americans in Iraq and around the globe.

And Gore is not alone. Much of the language of the "loyal opposition" has been anything but loyal. In September 2002, Rep. Jim McDermott (D-Wash.) called President Bush a liar on Saddam Hussein's turf, then added that Hussein's regime was worthy of American trust. On "Face the Nation" back in December, Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) stated that American troops were "going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, terrorizing kids and children, you know, women, breaking sort of the customs of the -- of, of, of historical customs, religious customs …" Howard Dean, the head of the DNC, averred in December that the "idea that we're going to win the war in Iraq is an idea which is just plain wrong."

At some point, opposition must be considered disloyal. At some point, the American people must say "enough." At some point, Republicans in Congress must stop delicately tiptoeing with regard to sedition and must pass legislation to prosecute such sedition.

"Freedom of speech!" the American Civil Liberties Union will protest. Before we buy into the slogan, we must remember our history. President Abraham Lincoln suspended the writ of habeas corpus and allowed governmental officials to arrest Rep. Clement Vallandigham after Vallandigham called the Civil War "cruel" and "wicked," shut down hundreds of opposition newspapers, and had members of the Maryland legislature placed in prison to prevent Maryland's secession. The Union won the Civil War.

Under the Espionage Act of 1917, opponents of World War I were routinely prosecuted, and the Supreme Court routinely upheld their convictions. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes rightly wrote, "When a nation is at war, many things that might be said in time of peace are such a hindrance to its effort that their utterance will not be endured so long as men fight and that no Court could regard them as protected by any constitutional right." The Allies won World War I.

During World War II, President Franklin D. Roosevelt authorized the internment of hundreds of thousands of Japanese-Americans, as well as allowing the prosecution and/or deportation of those who opposed the war. The Allies won World War II.

During the Vietnam War, the Supreme Court repeatedly upheld the free speech rights of war opponents, whether those opponents distributed leaflets depicting the rape of the Statue of Liberty or wore jackets emblazoned with the slogan "F--- the Draft." America lost the Vietnam War.

This is not to argue that every measure taken by the government to prosecute opponents of American wars is just or right or Constitutional. Some restrictions, however, are just and right and Constitutional -- and necessary. No war can be won when members of a disloyal opposition are given free reign to undermine it.

Copyright © 2006 Creators Syndicate, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find this story at: http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/benshapiro/2006/02/15/186543.html

Crookshanks
02-15-2006, 04:08 PM
:tu Excellent article! But I bet it falls mainly on deaf ears. :depressed

spurster
02-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Last Sunday, former Vice President Al Gore spoke before the Jiddah Economic Forum. He told the mostly Saudi audience that the United States had committed "terrible atrocities" against Arabs after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. He stated that Arabs had been "indiscriminately rounded up" and detained in "unforgivable conditions." He criticized America's new immigration policy, which more carefully scrutinizes Saudi visas, explaining, "The thoughtless way in which visas are now handled, that is a mistake." Finally, he concluded, "There have been terrible abuses, and it's wrong. … I want you to know that it does not represent the desires or wishes or feelings of the majority of the citizens of my country."

These are outrageous statements.

Ok. Let's take them one at a time.

"terrible atrocities". The large civilians casualties in Falluja. Shake and bake tactics. We would call these atrocities if Saddam had done them. If "terrible atrocities" is exaggeration, it's not by much.

"indiscriminately rounded up". That's exaggeration. Some have been rounded up, but it hasn't been indiscriminate.

"unforgivable conditions". Torture. Indefinite detention without trial or representation or anybody even knowing where you are. Secret prisons. These would be considered unforgivable if applied to American citizens. Ah, I forget. American citizens can get this treatment as well.

"The thoughtless way in which visas are now handled". This one is strange. Must be an elite Saudi complaint.

"terrible abuses ... [that do] not represent the desires or wishes or feelings of the majority of the citizens of my country" Well, it doesn't represent me. But maybe the majority desire torture, chemical weapons, secret prisons and the like. Bush did get re-elected.

What outrageous about Gore's speech is he freely criticizes BushCo policies, but not Saudi policies about their lack of freedom of religion, lack of freedom for women, their torture, and the free reign they give to radical Islam.

Mr. Peabody
02-15-2006, 04:26 PM
During World War II, President Franklin D. Roosevelt authorized the internment of hundreds of thousands of Japanese-Americans, as well as allowing the prosecution and/or deportation of those who opposed the war. The Allies won World War II.

Wasn't this one of our country's most embarrassing moments? Isn't this an act that we, as a nation, still apologize for to this very day?

Also, the author's inference that we won the war because we "rounded up" the Japanese-Americans is a idiotic and dangerous statement.

Oh, Gee!!
02-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Wasn't this one of our country's most embarrassing moments? Isn't this an act that we, as a nation, still apologize for to this very day?

Also, the author's inference that we won the war because we "rounded up" the Japanese-Americans is a idiotic and dangerous statement.

Xray's old school, he thinks women should go back to the days of using wire coat hangers.

Crookshanks
02-15-2006, 04:45 PM

Have you ever heard Michelle Malkin talk on this subject? She's even written a book about it - maybe if you read it you'll find it was a necessary act to protect this country.

Nbadan
02-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Sounds crazy, but I've heard rumors that the Republicans want to make sedition a crime. Except they won't throw you in jail, instead they'll propose to throw you out of the country. Naturalized citizen or not. This is why KR&B have been hired to build those 'temporary detention centers' domestically.

Ocotillo
02-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Sounds crazy, but I've heard rumors that the Republicans want to make sedition a crime. Except they won't throw you in jail, instead they'll propose to throw you out of the country. Naturalized citizen or not. This is why KR&B have been hired to build those 'temporary detention centers' domestically.

It's no mistake either that the talking heads on the right use terms such as traitor, treason, un-American, terrorists, aid and comfort to the enemy etc..... when describing Democrats that disagree with the current administration. It is only a small step then to eavesdropping on political adversaries without using a warrant. That is why the founding fathers engineered a system of government with checks and balances.

Crookshanks
02-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Blah, Blah, Blah...