PDA

View Full Version : Car insurance

RandomGuy
02-15-2006, 08:42 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=752578&posted=1#post752578

This is a thread about Esurance.com

I did some research into it and found some interesting results that you guys might find intersting if you are in the market for car insurance.

For those of you who don't want to read the linked thread and just want the executive summary:

Avoid esurance.com, they are growing too fast to provide decent customer service to their policy holders.

hussker
02-15-2006, 08:51 PM
I have USAA...no need for any looks at the competition. There is none as far as I know.

RandomGuy
02-17-2006, 08:51 PM
I have USAA...no need for any looks at the competition. There is none as far as I know.

USAA is an outstanding company. I may very well work for them at some point, as I think helping out fellow service members is a very cool thing.

Nbadan
02-18-2006, 12:46 AM
When it comes to jacking up your car insurance rates, if your part of a large demographic - the working poor, your paying higher rates than everyone else because your likely to have poor credit, and that, according to the Texas Insurance Industry, is a no-no. As if the fact that you've never filed a claim, or haven't filed a claim in 5 years or more should just be discounted because your poor. Fucken rip-off, and there ought to be a law, but Texas politicians, both Democrat and Republican, are so deep in the Insurance industry's pockets, don't hold your breath for anyone to speak up for honest hard-working people anytime soon.

hussker
02-18-2006, 10:12 AM
When it comes to jacking up your car insurance rates, if your part of a large demographic - the working poor, your paying higher rates than everyone else because your likely to have poor credit, and that, according to the Texas Insurance Industry, is a no-no. As if the fact that you've never filed a claim, or haven't filed a claim in 5 years or more should just be discounted because your poor. Fucken rip-off, and there ought to be a law, but Texas politicians, both Democrat and Republican, are so deep in the Insurance industry's pockets, don't hold your breath for anyone to speak up for honest hard-working people anytime soon.

Here is an option: Consider the best thing coming out of Texas: I-35

xrayzebra
02-18-2006, 10:30 AM

I would love to see no-fault insurance come to Texas. Mandatory insurance
does not work. Check the stats. Besides if MALDEF, ACLU, and NAACP
wants a whipping boy, just look at the insurance laws. Most SR cases
are filed against minorities.

RandomGuy
02-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Here is an option: Consider the best thing coming out of Texas: I-35

Actually it seems that credit rating factors into insurance premiums no matter where you end up. Not 100% sure if credit ratings are allowed to be considered under all 50 states, but I would be willing to bet it is legal in most of them.

Give me a year, and I will know a LOT more.

Nbadan
02-19-2006, 02:36 AM
Actually it seems that credit rating factors into insurance premiums no matter where you end up. Not 100% sure if credit ratings are allowed to be considered under all 50 states, but I would be willing to bet it is legal in most of them.

Give me a year, and I will know a LOT more.

Google is your friend.

THIS from the Insurance information Institute (http://www.iii.org/media/hottopics/insurance/creditscoring/)

Research: At the end of December 2004, the Texas Department of Insurance made public a report on the use of credit information by insurers in Texas. Based on an analysis of data from two million auto and homeowners insurance policies, the study found a strong relationship between credit scores and claims experience. A second phase of the study, published in January 2005, found that the use of insurance scores significantly improves pricing accuracy in predicting risk when combined with other rating variables such geographical area and age of driver. Although there was a consistent pattern of differences in credit scores among different racial/ethic groups, with blacks and Hispanics having worse scores than whites and Asians on average found that the results were actuarially supported and not unfairly discriminatory. This means that all drivers with the same rating characteristics would be charged the same amount, regardless of race, income or ethnic background. The research, which was required by law, was conducted by the insurance department with assistance from the University of Texas and the Texas A&M University as well as the Office of Public Insurance Counsel. The findings confirm the results of other studies, see Background section.

Fed up consumers in Texas and 29 other states have been pressing legislators to curb credit scoring. Two states have banned it.