PDA

View Full Version : Having to "Pull Up" at a Fast-Food Drive-Thru

Mr. Peabody
02-16-2006, 06:07 PM
I hate this thing they do now at fast-food joints where you have to pull up, even though no one is behind you. I have had this happen at KFC, Jack-in-the-Box and Taco Cabana.

I have noticed that these places now have timers at the window, so I guess the employees are obligated to get you from the window as quickly as possible. However, I hate the fact that I have to move up even though no one is behind me. It defeats the purpose of the window.

In the industry's effort to improve service, they made the service much worse, in my opinion.

SpursWoman
02-16-2006, 06:10 PM
I didn't realize they were all doing that now. They did it to me the other night at Wendy's...told me to pull up and then pretty much had my food right there, and it wasn't because they were waiting on anything to finish cooking...so I thought it was a little odd. :spin

AlamoSpursFan
02-16-2006, 06:14 PM
My first job out of high school was at Burger King and all they freaking cared about was average time at the window. And you are not alone. People used to get PISSED when we'd ask them to pull up.

CharlieMac
02-16-2006, 06:48 PM
I used to work at that BK in Crossroads Mall. That place was a shit hole.

What's up with KFC's prices too?

Samr
02-16-2006, 08:21 PM
Personally, I don't care. Whatever makes their job easier/more profitable, as long as it isn't a major inconvenience to me. However, I get PISSED when they mess up the order. At places where this is common practice (Taco Bell- I am talking to YOU!), I check the order at the window, and do not leave until I am satisfied everything is per order. Any mistake I discover when I get home- beyond "no tomato" or something- is dealt with the manager directly upon return.

Sonic does it right- the person giving you the food reads your ENTIRE order again before you get it. They got it wrong once, and my corrected meal was immediately offered free upon return. I generally tip them a few bucks regardless at Sonic on principle alone.

ShoogarBear
02-16-2006, 08:44 PM
My first job out of high school was at Burger King and all they freaking cared about was average time at the window. And you are not alone. People used to get PISSED when we'd ask them to pull up.That's moronic. What they should care about is the time between you finish ordering and the food is in your hand.

Melmart1
02-16-2006, 09:23 PM
That's moronic. What they should care about is the time between you finish ordering and the food is in your hand.

That's typical of service industry though. You have to meet some mindless, inconsequential stat in order to 'make your numbers'.

For instance, I was a manager at HEB awhile back and we had to coach the checkers on how to get 30 IPMs (Items Per Minute). This means they have to scan like the wind.

Only problem is, there was never any bagging help. So I can scan your oder in 45 seconds, but since I have to bag it as well, you still don't get fast service. And since there is no bagger there, that means if you need a carryout, you have to wait for one, too. But as long as those IPM numbers come out good, corporate is happy.

Zombie
02-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Try going inside! :lol

SpursWoman
02-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Only problem is, there was never any bagging help. So I can scan your oder in 45 seconds, but since I have to bag it as well, you still don't get fast service. And since there is no bagger there, that means if you need a carryout, you have to wait for one, too. But as long as those IPM numbers come out good, corporate is happy.

9 times out of 10 I start bagging my own stuff to keep the line moving. Glad I'm helping her (or him) out, too. :lol

Kori Ellis
02-16-2006, 09:33 PM
9 times out of 10 I start bagging my own stuff to keep the line moving.

:lol Me too.

midgetonadonkey
02-16-2006, 09:48 PM
I bag my own groceries but it's because I enjoy it. It takes me back to my old high school sacker days.

ShoogarBear
02-16-2006, 09:58 PM
I tell you what, I really love the self-scan lines they have at Giant in the DC area.

The only problem is, I usually end up behind some imbecile who either a) has apparently never seen a bar code before, or b) is unacquainted with the various denominations of U.S. currency. HEY DIPSHITS, IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, GO TO THE REGULAR LINE!

Kori Ellis
02-16-2006, 10:23 PM
I've used those self-scan lines at Wal-mart, but you are right -- people usually don't know what to do.

spurs=bling
02-16-2006, 10:25 PM
I've used those self-scan lines at Wal-mart, but you are right -- people usually don't know what to do.

self -check out lines are neat. they always have a worker there just in case.

SpursWoman
02-17-2006, 10:10 AM

I gave up on those ... inevitably I end up with something too light to trigger the weight sensors on the bag thingy and it won't let me scan the next item, so I always ending up having to have someone come over anyway.

:fro

Taco
02-17-2006, 11:12 AM
One time when i was a younger Taco, I placed my order, pulled up to the window, payed for the food and started to drive off.
My buddy said "hey wait you forgot the food."

I was a little toasted :lol

Mixability
02-17-2006, 11:13 AM
One time when i was a younger Taco, I placed my order, pulled up to the window, payed for the food and started to drive off.

wasn't that an SNL skit?

Mixability
02-17-2006, 11:14 AM

just in case dipshits try and steal shit pretending they scanned it. I know thats why there's ALWAYS a worker at the self checkout lines at the Walmart on Roosevelt and Military.

easjer
02-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Taco - I've done that before without any excuse other than a short attention span. And I've done that before, leaving food and drinks behind and have been too embarrassed to go back and get them. Fortunately my husband now takes care of that stuff for me when I'm a total ditz.

And I despise the self-checkout lines. I've always had a problem using them, even though I've done everything correctly, especially at Home Depot. Sigh.

Tim Reynolds
02-17-2006, 11:49 AM

my moms done that... when we were younger she actually went to go get some fast food, got in her car, paid, and came back with nothing... we were like "mom wheres the food?" and she said "you know i dont know"

T Park
02-17-2006, 12:58 PM
when we were younger she actually went to go get some fast food, got in her car, paid, and came back with nothing... we were like "mom wheres the food?" and she said "you know i dont know"

Theres a roll your eyes and say "Whoa" moment if Ive ever seen it.

Mixability
02-17-2006, 12:59 PM
Theres a roll your eyes and say "Whoa" moment if Ive ever seen it.

Well, I'm sure YOU'VE never left without the food! :lol

Taco
02-17-2006, 01:15 PM

wasn't that an SNL skit?

I don't know but i really did that :lol

Taco - I've done that before without any excuse other than a short attention span. And I've done that before, leaving food and drinks behind and have been too embarrassed to go back and get them. Fortunately my husband now takes care of that stuff for me when I'm a total ditz.

:lol

jcrod
02-17-2006, 01:19 PM
I gave up on those ... inevitably I end up with something too light to trigger the weight sensors on the bag thingy and it won't let me scan the next item, so I always ending up having to have someone come over anyway.

Just put light pressure with your hand, it works everytime for me. I bag my own also, if theres no help.

pache100
02-17-2006, 01:46 PM

They do at the HEB where I shop. Always. But, not at the Walmart. And I almost always have to have a supervisor come and clear my sale because I buy allergy medication (and the State of Texas is afraid if I buy it I'm running a meth lab...and they will only let me buy 2 pkgs per visit...so, recently during cedar season, I've been going once a week). It takes an act of Congress to get somebody over there to clear my sale.

HEB is always doing stuff to improve their service, though. The have a scale with a label machine in the produce department now, so you can print a label with a barcode for your produce. It speeds things up, whether you check out yourself or go through a full-service line. I love it.

SpursWoman
02-17-2006, 02:09 PM
HEB is always doing stuff to improve their service, though. The have a scale with a label machine in the produce department now, so you can print a label with a barcode for your produce. It speeds things up, whether you check out yourself or go through a full-service line. I love it.

I love that thing ... it helps avoid the "Holy shit! 2lbs of grapes are $12.00?!?!?!? WTF?!?!" moment. :wow :lol :lol

AlamoSpursFan
02-17-2006, 04:35 PM

You and everyone else that shops at Home Depot.

:lol