PDA

View Full Version : Confused Pistons fan seeks answer to question

Dunc
02-16-2006, 07:27 PM
Ok, I admit I usually only go to Spurs' forums like this one and the one at mysanantonio.com after their losses (I'm an asshole, I'm sorry). But one thing I have noticed after both losses and wins is that you guys can't help but rabidly nitpick at *something*. I haven't seen enough Spurs game to be an expert, but it always confuses me that you guys seem to totally panic and lose perspective after losses. I can't count the number of posts I've seen at the other site just about calling for Pop's head, which is beyond me, because I honestly think he's easily the best coach in basketball right now. I dunno, maybe everybody's fans do that? Anyway, just a word of encouragement, you have nothing to worry about in the regular season. The Mavs will fall apart and you guys will have something to do with that, and you will bring down the iron fist of the Black and Silver on the Suns. From that point on, all you gotta worry about is getting past US. And then we will be taking back what's ours. Anyway, don't worry about the regular season. You won't even need it in the west conference and you aren't likely to catch the Pistons. Peace out!
:fro

SoCalSpursFan
02-16-2006, 07:29 PM
But one thing I have noticed after both losses and wins is that you guys can't help but rabidly nitpick at *something*.

What forum for ANY team doesn't nitpick after a loss?

It's mostly people venting, and its good conversation.

Anyway, I doubt anyone is worried about the Pistons as long as Rasheed keeps double teaming Manu in the corner.

timvp
02-16-2006, 07:29 PM
Spurs fans want the Spurs to go 98-0.

Oh, Gee!!
02-16-2006, 07:30 PM
A spy!!!

Kori Ellis
02-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Spurs fans are spoiled, so they nitpick every win and loss.

I haven't seen any threads calling for Pop's head lately. But if the Spurs drop another game or two, Spurs fans will want to trade/fire everyone.

T Park
02-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Ok, I admit I usually only go to Spurs' forums like this one and the one at mysanantonio.com after their losses (I'm an asshole, I'm sorry

:lol

Call me crazy, lol, but I LIKE this guy

Welcome to the board.

Always good to have another Pistons fan.

They are my favorite, by far, smart, actually ackowledge that the Spurs actually exist.

Welcome aboard cheif!!

smeagol
02-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Spurs fans are spoiled.

You got that straight, sister.

They are so spoiled they forget they celebrated 3 championships in the last 7 years (few fans of pro sports teams can say the same thing).

Dunc
02-16-2006, 07:34 PM
What forum for ANY team doesn't nitpick after a loss?

It's mostly people venting, and its good conversation.

Anyway, I doubt anyone is worried about the Pistons as long as Rasheed keeps double teaming Manu in the corner.

Ouch. Yeah, you're right about that. Thank God he got that shit out of his system last year. I think he'll probably play his man this time.

smeagol
02-16-2006, 07:35 PM
DET fans that post on this board a definetly cool dudes (even joch :lol )

Kori Ellis
Why is your username "Dunc" if you are a Pistons fan?

SoCalSpursFan
Ouch. Yeah, you're right about that. Thank God he got that shit out of his system last year. I think he'll probably play his man this time.

...Hopefully the Spurs won't need to rely on Sheed to do that this time :rolleyes

Melmart1
DUMB Spurs fans want Pop's head to roll or forget that Duncan is injured when he doesn't score a triple double, think Nazr is a good defender, mistake a plantar injury for an ankle one or blame Eva when Tony doesn't go 12/12.

The rest of us sit back and wait for SPAM.

SoCalSpursFan
02-16-2006, 07:36 PM

Such a good question. Do Reply.

Dunc
02-16-2006, 07:38 PM

Call me crazy, lol, but I LIKE this guy

Welcome to the board.

They are my favorite, by far, smart, actually ackowledge that the Spurs actually exist.

Welcome aboard cheif!!

Dude, I gotta admit, I like this board alot better than the Pistons one I've been to lately :) Flattered that you don't mind my presence, lol. And in all honesty, this is one of the reasons I like you guys so much too (your doubting of team and all, lol), you don't pretend you got it all figured it out, like I try not to when I'm being serious and not just a cocky pistons fan. I like you guys alot more than the Miami fans who tell me "Oh yeah, D-Wade and Shaq can win it all by themselves this year." Bullshit. The era of the superstar is over.

timvp
02-16-2006, 07:39 PM

Detroit
U
Not
Champions

Dunc
02-16-2006, 07:40 PM

My name is Duncan. I know, the irony is overwhelming, lol

Dunc
02-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Detroit
U
Not
Champions

In 2005. You're right. Jeez guys, just think of the fun we're going to have in June :)

Kori Ellis
02-16-2006, 07:41 PM

Welcome to the forum, Duncan.

You know you are destined to switch allegiances.

SoCalSpursFan
02-16-2006, 07:41 PM
Detroit
U
Not
Champions

Eeeeee......

phyzik
02-16-2006, 07:42 PM
From that point on, all you gotta worry about is getting past US. And then we will be taking back what's ours.

just wanted to point it out that Detroit won between Spurs championships.... therefore it was never yours, you where just borrowing it from us.... therefore, you cannot take back what was never yours to begin with. :smokin

SoCalSpursFan
02-16-2006, 07:42 PM

You seem to have taken a liking to the fro...

do you HAVE a fro?

Dunc = :fro ?

SoCalSpursFan
02-16-2006, 07:43 PM
just wanted to point it out that Detroit won between Spurs championships.... therefore it was never yours, you where just borrowing it from us.... therefore, you cannot take back what was never yours to begin with. :smokin

Zing!

timvp
02-16-2006, 07:44 PM
In 2005. You're right. Jeez guys, just think of the fun we're going to have in June :)

Detroit
U
Not
Champions
Again
Nikka

Sincerely,

Tim

Dunc
02-16-2006, 07:44 PM

Good point. Unless, if we win, as obviously I expect (duh), that will be two Pistons championships sandwiching one Spurs championship. In which case it will be evident that indeed, you were borrowing it from us. Can't wait for June.

Dunc
02-16-2006, 07:45 PM
You seem to have taken a liking to the fro...

do you HAVE a fro?

Dunc = :fro ?

Nope, just though it was a kick-ass emoticon. Fear the fro. You know you do.

SoCalSpursFan
Detroit
U
Not
Champions
Again
Nikka

Sincerely,

Tim

Nikka?

As in Nikka Van Exel?

lilmads

Dunc
02-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Nikka?

As in Nikka Van Exel?

Yeah... maybe I'm just not down with the local vernacular, but I was wondering who the hell Nikka is. Just couldn't think of anything else to throw in there or what? Lol.

Dunc
02-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Welcome to the forum, Duncan.

You know you are destined to switch allegiances.

Thanks Kori Ellis. And no, I'm afraid that my allegiances shall never switch. I bleed red, blue and white. Actually, that sounds a little more natural than bleeding black and silver. That's just gruesome as hell.
:fro foreva!

Rummpd
02-16-2006, 07:55 PM
Worry about your team getting out of the East - that guy named Wade is pretty damm good, seems to have Detroits number, and if Miami comes together around him and Shaq is motivated = they could give the Pistons a real battle.

Dunc
02-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Think about this. At home, Miami needed a complete 4th quarter meltdown from the Pistons, *and* Wade to go absolutely out of his friggin skull. And still would have lost if they had gotten a decent shot out of Tay. You think Miami has a chance over 7 games?? Sorry dude, and I'm not just being a homer here. See you in June.

lilmads
02-16-2006, 08:00 PM
^ Just like they did last season!

1Parker1
02-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Think about this. At home, Miami needed a complete 4th quarter meltdown from the Pistons, *and* Wade to go absolutely out of his friggin skull. And still would have lost if they had gotten a decent shot out of Tay. You think Miami has a chance over 7 games?? Sorry dude, and I'm not just being a homer here. See you in June.

:tu Yep, no worries, I think Pistons have a great chance to make it to the Finals again. Hopefully the Spurs will make it too and we can kick your team's ass in 6 games this time around :smokin

Dunc
02-16-2006, 08:02 PM
Oh yes, and poor coaching. If they had put Delfino back in for Tay when Wade started to heat up, the Heat never would have pulled to within 5, imo. Delfino completely threw D-Wade's rhythm off in the first half, and that run at the end was all rhythm. Flip just about gave them that game. So all of these things will have to happen for Miami to have a chance.

Dunc
02-16-2006, 08:03 PM
:tu Yep, no worries, I think Pistons have a great chance to make it to the Finals again. Hopefully the Spurs will make it too and we can kick your team's ass in 6 games this time around :smokin

Well, I think you're right about it being a six game series :smokin

timvp
02-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Oh yes, and poor coaching. If they had put Delfino back in for Tay when Wade started to heat up, the Heat never would have pulled to within 5, imo. Delfino completely threw D-Wade's rhythm off in the first half, and that run at the end was all rhythm. Flip just about gave them that game. So all of these things will have to happen for Miami to have a chance.

So you plan on replacing the coach soon? Or will that be a reocurring problem?

:smokin

Dunc
02-16-2006, 08:06 PM
I plan on him learning from his mistkaes..... and smartening the fuck up, lol. The Pistons played like they didn't care, which is how they've been playing for the past 2-3 weeks, (note that despite their slump and the Spurs and Mavs hot streaks, tthe Pistonss still have a 2 game lead on the Mavs and 2.5, I think, on the Spurs), and the Heat needed it alot more. I'll give them credit, but we'll see a different story in the playoffs.

aaronstampler
02-16-2006, 11:20 PM

I'm afraid I agree with Dunc. The Pistons will most likely be in the Finals without breaking a sweat. Nobody in the East plays any defense to stop their guys except maybe the Pacers. Shaq is too old and slow to be a factor over a 7 game series, not when Detroit can throw so much size at him, especially with Dale Davis and Kelvin Kato waiting with all those fouls to give...

Us on the other hand, have a real gauntlet just to get there. The Suns with Amare, the Mavs, and maybe even somebody dangerous in round 1, but I doubt it. We just don't look as fluid, as athletic this year. No fastbreak points, not too many highlight plays, no good ballmovement sequences where we get like 10 passes before a three, none of that good stuff. We're barely beating teams we should blow out of the gym.

I still think we're gonna get there, and I'm still confident, but we don't look quite the same this year. Hopefully the hunger and execution will come back in the last quarter of the season like it always does.

samikeyp
02-17-2006, 09:41 AM
Spurs fans are spoiled, so they nitpick every win and loss.

Sadly some are. Those of us who remember the dark days (post-Ice to pre-Robinson) know better. This is a great time in Spurs basketball but it cannot last forever. Enjoy it, don't pick at it.

Shelly
02-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Most Spurs fans live on cliffs...

samikeyp
02-17-2006, 09:52 AM

easjer
02-17-2006, 10:37 AM

Don't forget about the Robinson without Duncan years and all the attendant heartbreak there. I was amazed just yesterday when someone said all Spurs fans should care about is the trophy. How sad. I want them to win, but it's not a bad season or a waste if they don't. I like them and I like rooting for them. Winning it all is the biggest thrill, but 29 teams won't do that.

SpursWoman
02-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Detroit
U
Not
Champions
Again
Nikka

Sincerely,

Tim

:rollin :lol

Dunc
02-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Sadly some are. Those of us who remember the dark days (post-Ice to pre-Robinson) know better. This is a great time in Spurs basketball but it cannot last forever. Enjoy it, don't pick at it.

Just wanted to touch on this real quick... I think one of the reasons that Pistons fans are so rabid about our team is that we too remember the dark years... The years immediately after the Bad Boys when we were lucky to win 24 games... The "teal" years, which were embarrassing in more ways than one. So to go from one of the NBA's laughingstocks to one of the most feared teams the NBA has seen in recent years, it feels really good, and it's impossible not to be overwhelmingly proud of your guys. Yet another thing that we have in common with you Spurs fans :)

GoSpurs21
02-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Its a San Antonian traditional past time to bitch about...well just about everything
Their 2nd favorite past time is driving through low water crossings during flooding

jochhejaam
02-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Even me? You're too generous. :lol

<thanks smeagol> :D

Joepa
02-17-2006, 01:46 PM
I like this cat a lot. Welcome to the boards, dude. I like reasonable fans.

We're still going to own the Pistons. Like a redheaded stepchild!

Dunc
02-17-2006, 02:24 PM

I'm sorry, I'm sorry... I gotta ask? What's your definition of "owning"? Owning indicates recent domination, imo, which sounds like the following numbers.... 85-70.... 83-68... +51 on the boards..... yeah, you got the ring, but let's not overstate ourselves :D

Dunc
02-17-2006, 02:25 PM

Oh, and I like you alot too :D Honestly, I've gotta say, I'm really enjoying you guys. I like the jabs back and forth we've given and taken, and I like the serious and objective stuff we've talked about too. Glad I found this place.

WayDowntownBang
02-17-2006, 03:51 PM
You got that straight, sister.

They are so spoiled they forget they celebrated 3 championships in the last 7 years (few fans of pro sports teams can say the same thing).

Patriot fans are a bit spoiled as well. At least I LIKE the Spurs.

SpursWoman
02-17-2006, 04:07 PM
The "teal" years, which were embarrassing in more ways than one.

Oh, man ... we can beat your "teal" years...at least yours didn't include fuchsia. :vomit :lol

http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/9970/images/spurs.gif

island_dude
02-17-2006, 04:17 PM
"Anyway, just a word of encouragement, you have nothing to worry about in the regular season. The Mavs will fall apart and you guys will have something to do with that, and you will bring down the iron fist of the Black and Silver on the Suns."
I'm sure you won't put any credence into what I say, and that's fine, but don't be so sure of that. This Mavs team is alot mentally tougher than what you're use to seeing. I know the proof is in the pudding and we'll just have to wait until the playoffs unfold to find out. Until then go ahead nad dis the Mavs becuse the regular season doesn't mean squat!

If they do manage to meet up with the Pistons in the finals I know it would be a difficult matchup. I'm not one of those crazy fans who puts much importance into that regular season blowout win over Detroit. I realize they caught them on a back to back, and that by far wasn't the same Pistons who'll show up in the post season.

jochhejaam
02-17-2006, 04:21 PM
From Joe Dumars in an article in the Detroit News;

Pistons president Joe Dumars knows the Darko Milicic debate, in some ways, will never die.

But the Milicic experiment is over after he was traded Wednesday to the Orlando Magic.

The Pistons also sent Carlos Arroyo to the Magic for Kelvin Cato and a protected 2007 draft pick.

"When I get to the point where I think it's probably not going to work, then I tend to not to hold on to it and force it," Dumars said Thursday.

"I don't mind taking chances and coming up short. That's the only way you can be great at something, is if you're willing to take risks, get out there and see if it works or not. And if it doesn't, I'll be the first one to stand up, raise my hand and say it didn't work."

Milicic, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2003 draft, asked the Pistons to trade him three weeks ago. His agent, Marc Cornstein met with Dumars over dinner Jan. 30. <something I hadn't heard>Milicic's request matched Dumars' feeling about the situation.

"I wanted to see that progression happening over the course of 2 1/2 years," Dumars said. "I just think he hit a wall … I didn't see that progression anymore. I thought at a certain point that it was going to become counter-productive, maybe start heading in the other direction.

"If it's time, if I'm having some reservations about if things are going to work out, if the kid is unhappy, if the agent is -- in a good, nice way -- saying it's time to move on … why not do it now? Why prolong it? It also clears up some stuff for us that I was going to have to deal with this summer anyway. I'm hoping it will have minimal impact on these last 30 games and our playoff run."

Milicic is on vacation in Miami and was not available for comment. He does not have to report to the Magic until Monday, joining the team for a trip to Cleveland.

Dumars admits Milicic was a gamble, a project designed for future gain.

"Anytime something doesn't work, I don't say you're happy with it, but given the situation we were in, at that particular time, I thought it was the right thing to do then," Dumars said, about the oft-debated choice of Milicic over Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh or Dwyane Wade in 2003.

"When you go outside of this country and draft international players, the risk increases because of the transition they have to make over here."

Dumars said he never asked coaches Larry Brown or Flip Saunders to play Milicic.

"You lose all the credibility of what you're trying to build with a coach and environment if you start doing stuff like that," Dumars said. "If that falls back on the pick not working out, and it falls back on me, then so be it. I'd rather do that than compromise my team, my coach and my other players."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060217/SPORTS0102/602170309/1127

Brutalis
02-17-2006, 04:28 PM
YOU A DUMBASS PISTONS FAN BRODA, AND WILL GET IT IN THE ASS JUST LIKE YA DID LAST SUMMER SO TPARK CAN "QUIT" AGAIN

Dunc
02-18-2006, 11:45 PM
This Mavs team is alot mentally tougher than what you're use to seeing. I know the proof is in the pudding and we'll just have to wait until the playoffs unfold to find out. Until then go ahead nad dis the Mavs becuse the regular season doesn't mean squat!

If they do manage to meet up with the Pistons in the finals I know it would be a difficult matchup. I'm not one of those crazy fans who puts much importance into that regular season blowout win over Detroit. I realize they caught them on a back to back, and that by far wasn't the same Pistons who'll show up in the post season.

Yeah, I hear ya there dude. I don't mean any great disrespect, I'm just going by what the past has told us. I think it'd be a great matchup between the Mavs and the Pistons, but you gotta understand, we really want another shot at the Spurs here. And as you don't put much credence in that blowout, I'm not too worried about it either. I'm quite looking forward to their matchup in March at the Palace, which of course I have tickets to (yeah biatch!! lol), which could be kinda interesting. Both teams will have matured some since the last time and we may learn some things from that game. But for now, in the West, I gotta say "go Spurs". And from there, we'll see :)

Dunc
02-18-2006, 11:45 PM
YOU A DUMBASS PISTONS FAN BRODA, AND WILL GET IT IN THE ASS JUST LIKE YA DID LAST SUMMER SO TPARK CAN "QUIT" AGAIN

Funny, I've never gotten anything in the ass. Maybe you could tell me what it's like? :lol

FreshPrince22
02-19-2006, 12:27 AM

Low blow....
:depressed

5ToolMan
02-19-2006, 12:40 AM

Or maybe Flip would outcoach LB by doing somthing smart and creative like having Ben check Horry from any three. Rasheed had already given up the biggest three point shot in Spurs history when Sean sank the Memorial Day Miracle over him in 1999.

FreshPrince22
02-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Or maybe Flip would outcoach LB by doing somthing smart and creative like having Ben check Horry from any three. Rasheed had already given up the biggest three point shot in Spurs history when Sean sank the Memorial Day Miracle over him in 1999.

Can't blame LB for that one (though I WILL blame him for Game 7, but that's a different story). It's smart to keep Ben on a guy that can't take him out of the paint. LB had to figure that they were going for a two to tie (and they probably were untill Sheed doubled). Sheed just obviously forgot who it was that he was guarding. Oh well, I can't dwell on it forever.

emo serb
02-19-2006, 12:52 PM
Even emo serb? :depressed Darko :depressed