PDA

View Full Version : The high price of victory

Kori Ellis
02-17-2006, 01:52 AM
The high price of victory

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhF7WbR_9E1JquDN1IS7TRW8vLYF?slug=cnnsi-poorinvestment&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

Which teams are getting the most for their money?

The average cost per victory, as of Wednesday, was $2.4 million (based on player salaries totaling $1.88 billion this season divided by the 777 games played thus far).

The leader is no surprise: The Pistons are spending $1.4 million per victory, followed closely by the third-place Spurs at $1.6 million per win.

But this table gives new perspective to the miraculous season the Hornets are having in Oklahoma City: They emerge as the second most efficient team in the league, based on their 28-23 record in spite of the NBA's second-lowest payroll (thank you, Chris Paul).

San Antonio and other franchises pay attention to this ratio with the ultimate goal of spending less than $1 million per win by the end of the season. Based on current winning percentages, only the Pistons, Hornets and Spurs are on track to limbo under the $1 million level.

This ratio also suggests that it's OK to spend big as long as you win big. Dallas' $94 million payroll is second only to New York's, yet the Mavericks are more efficient than half of the league because their expensive talent produces results.

Then consider the Knicks, who are lumped with Charlotte at the bottom of the East standings while hemmorhaging $93 million more than the Bobcats in payroll.

Understand why the Pacers will be looking to trim payroll this summer? They and the Lakers are the only winning teams who rank near the bottom in terms of payroll efficiency. Only three teams are netting a smaller return on their investment than the Pacers.

Melmart1
02-17-2006, 02:01 AM
That damn Holt is so cheap! Only $1.6 million per victory! We need to go get us an Allan Houston contract, ASAP!

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-17-2006, 09:58 AM
Somewhere Marcus Cryant weeps. We should be spending 3 million a win.

timvp
02-17-2006, 10:04 AM
Yeah let's break the bank and sign a Long Three Project. Their cost per win will skyrocket to $1.6005M.

:jack

gospursgojas
02-17-2006, 10:04 AM
They dont tell you how much NNY is spending per victory.... I could figue it out myself if I knew how much money they spent this year so far, but they dont give you that either

WalterBenitez
02-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Spurs' stock are a good investment :smokin

Despot
02-17-2006, 10:48 AM
They dont tell you how much NNY is spending per victory.... I could figue it out myself if I knew how much money they spent this year so far, but they dont give you that either

You use the payroll of the entire team for the entire year, divided by the current number of wins, hence why the we are at $1.6M now, but should be under $1M by the end of the season.

Tonto
02-17-2006, 10:52 AM
totno not understand the ways of pale face
him spend money on men playing a fun game

gospursgojas
02-17-2006, 10:56 AM
You use the payroll of the entire team for the entire year, divided by the current number of wins, hence why the we are at $1.6M now, but should be under $1M by the end of the season.

Yeah I know...I was just saying that I would like to know Nny's price per victory but they dont tell you, or give thier payroll for this year...and Im not a one of our salary cap experts so I just dont know it off the top of my head :fro

MoSpur
02-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Peter Holt is a smart man no matter what people say. He has RC and Pop and the front office to thank.

Despot
02-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Yeah I know...I was just saying that I would like to know Nny's price per victory but they dont tell you, or give thier payroll for this year...and Im not a one of our salary cap experts so I just dont know it off the top of my head :fro

Figured it out, About 8.4 million per win.

Dunc
02-17-2006, 03:08 PM

Last I heard they're spending around $120M. Isiah's lucky. I wish I had $120M to spend on absolutely shit-all. Nuttin against Zeke, love the guy, but I thank the Lord Ben Almighty that Joe D is in charge up at the Palace and not Zeke.... :hat

WalterBenitez
02-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Isiah is the best spending other's money

Cant_Be_Faded
02-17-2006, 04:36 PM
I wish we had a young, athletic, long, three

I miss LJIII

Spurminator
02-17-2006, 04:43 PM
An infographic would have been a nice companion to this article. Come on, Yahoo, step it up!

Peter
02-17-2006, 04:57 PM
How much have the Spurs paid per championship? That is what they are playing for, right?