PDA

View Full Version : All Star Selection Criteria

island_dude
02-17-2006, 08:48 AM
I'm new to the forum, so excuse me if this is beating a dead horse, but the Allstar selection for the starters is an absolute joke.

As long as Yao Ming plays in the NBA he will be a starter in the Allstar game deserving or not. He will always be voted in by the Chinese people.

I know it's suppose to be all about the fans, but it's obvious the average NBA fan doesn't have a clue to who's actually deserving.

I'm sure it'll never change, but just throwing in my two cents.

WalterBenitez
02-17-2006, 10:21 AM
I think that is smart to get fans involved to select starters and Coaches to subs, I think the procedure is clear no matter if we consider fair or not; If NBA decided to put some transparent and clear procedure like an efficiency ratio fans won’t be allowed to participate.

You must take into account that NBA is pro league that supports a business so … in a business you survive for the quality of your product and having customers ready to pay for it; Chinese people (I know they are so many) the only NBA’s experience they could have is to participate in forum, selecting Yao and probably watching tv.

The only event with no clear procedure is 3pt, for instance in ARG’s National BBall League are invited the most efficient players (3p%).

sickdsm
02-17-2006, 10:45 AM
I'm new to the forum, so excuse me if this is beating a dead horse, but the Allstar selection for the starters is an absolute joke.

As long as Yao Ming plays in the NBA he will be a starter in the Allstar game deserving or not. He will always be voted in by the Chinese people.

I know it's suppose to be all about the fans, but it's obvious the average NBA fan doesn't have a clue to who's actually deserving.

I'm sure it'll never change, but just throwing in my two cents.

Your right, Brand and Marion getting the shaft for Duncan is rediculous.

Spurs fans should be happy with this scenario though because France and Argentiana SHOULD be making them a team with three AS's shortly.

waly.mg
02-17-2006, 12:39 PM
The Internet Ballot is a Joke

Probably The League would have to look for a better Criterion of Selection
Surely opinion by Internet must have its participation, but it must have a milited percentage

It can be:

Internet : 20%
NBA Games: 20%
Players: 20%
Coachs: 20%
NBA: 20%

And the reserves would have also to be chosen in that selection

cheguevara
02-17-2006, 12:41 PM
why do people keep askin and complaining about this. Allstar game is solely for the fans, so the fans should be able to pick whoever the fuck they wanna see. get over it. again, allstar game is for the FANS not for the players. It is not made to reward players, just fans.

Sportman
02-17-2006, 12:44 PM
I AGREE with that, but you dont forget this is still a SHOW BUSINESS and stern will always try to seek the profit.

WalterBenitez
02-17-2006, 12:48 PM
why do people keep askin and complaining about this. Allstar game is solely for the fans, so the fans should be able to pick whoever the fuck they wanna see. get over it. again, allstar game is for the FANS not for the players. It is not made to reward players, just fans.

I agree, but ...

Would Yao play if he were born in another country with less population?
Woud Yao be a starter year after year?

cheguevara
02-17-2006, 12:49 PM
fans are fans. no matter where they live.

Mixability
02-17-2006, 12:51 PM
I agree, but ...

FUCK NO

JamStone
02-17-2006, 12:53 PM
It's the ALL STAR GAME!!!

Does it even really matter? The players that really get pissed are the ones whose teams suck and have no chance to do anything in the post-season.

The only thing that might make it a little more fair is that for the starters, there should be a minimum games played in order to for the fan voting to count. I say the player has to have played in 2/3 of the season up to the time selecions are finalized. That way, a player like Alonzo Mourning or Grant Hill, who didn't even play in a season and were still voted as starters, don't get that honor, especially if they are healthy like a couple weeks before the ASG.

But, other than that, it's just an exhibition game. Like someone said, it's for the fans. It's not that deep.

NCaliSpurs
02-17-2006, 12:59 PM
As far as ballots are concerned... I had a friend that worked for a certain west coast team, and they would do ballot stuffing (physical ballots) as part of their job. Apparently all teams do this.

Besides, Yao is very much the best center in the West. Sad but true. Who else, Marcus "Broken" Camby or Brad Miller?

waly.mg
02-17-2006, 01:04 PM
Do You think that if Argentina had the amount of Population of China Manu he would not be Starter of the ASG?

WalterBenitez
02-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Do You think that if Argentina had the amount of Population of China Manu he would not be Starter of the ASG?

To be honest, I think Manu would be the 1st starter :king
At least Mr. $tern would appreciate that

But even in that scenario, I would say that Manu didn't deserved this year ... neither Ray Allen ok

waly.mg
02-17-2006, 02:15 PM
To be honest, I think Manu would be the 1st starter :king
At least Mr. $tern would appreciate that

But even in that scenario, I would say that Manu didn't deserved this year ... neither Ray Allen ok

Yes, surely, but this year T-mac and Yao were injured too, and both are starters, and the Rockets are losing, Amare don´t play in all the season and have 100000 votes, J O is starter and he´s injured

So why Yao and t-mac deserves this year as starters?

In the West Garnett, Brand, Anthony, Nowitski and others are taking a better season than this couple, and someones have vacations this Weekend

SequSpur
02-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Yao Ming is not an allstar.

Obviously the system is flawed.

Dunc
02-17-2006, 02:53 PM
I agree, but ...

No, I'm afraid he'd go the way of Gheorghe Muresan.... I don't even know if I spelled his fucking name right. Just another foreign born gigantic freak of nature who has no ability, just size.

Mixability
02-17-2006, 02:58 PM
It's the ALL STAR GAME!!!

Does it even really matter? The players that really get pissed are the ones whose teams suck and have no chance to do anything in the post-season.

The only thing that might make it a little more fair is that for the starters, there should be a minimum games played in order to for the fan voting to count. I say the player has to have played in 2/3 of the season up to the time selecions are finalized. That way, a player like Alonzo Mourning or Grant Hill, who didn't even play in a season and were still voted as starters, don't get that honor, especially if they are healthy like a couple weeks before the ASG.

But, other than that, it's just an exhibition game. Like someone said, it's for the fans. It's not that deep.

says the guy who has 4 starters playing. :angel :lol

cheguevara
02-17-2006, 03:01 PM

no shit.

if Slovenia had that population too Beno and Rasho would be starters as well.

JamStone
02-17-2006, 03:02 PM
says the guy who has 4 starters playing. :angel :lol

Actually, I wish that Rasheed WAS NOT selected. And, while I'm happy Chauncey and Rip got selected for the first time, it's not that deep to me. I didn't make much about either of them being "snubbed" last season.

Again, it's just the all star game. Fans want to see alley oop dunks and behind the back no-look passes.

The only problem I have is when an all star starter only played like 10-15 games in the season and still gets selected.

cheguevara
02-17-2006, 03:02 PM
No, I'm afraid he'd go the way of Gheorghe Muresan.... I don't even know if I spelled his fucking name right. Just another foreign born gigantic freak of nature who has no ability, just size.

Don't compare. Mouresan had mad acting skillz,

http://www.culturalianet.com/imatges/articulos/10407-1.jpg

yao can't even get a commercial right "Yo, yo"

WalterBenitez
02-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Yes, surely, but this year T-mac and Yao were injured too, and both are starters, and the Rockets are losing, Amare don´t play in all the season and have 100000 votes, J O is starter and he´s injured

I see your point, the f...g MELO has better numbers than Manu ... but Ray Allen, come on

ALVAREZ6
02-17-2006, 03:34 PM
The best part of All-Star weekend is the dunk contest.

ALVAREZ6
02-17-2006, 03:37 PM
I know this has been mentioned before, and I agree with it: The All-Star game should be USA vs. International. That would be way more entertaining than the east vs. west.

The international team would have all of these guys:
Dirk
Nash
Manu
TP
AK-47
Gasol
Peja
Yao

not a bad team.

Kori Ellis
02-17-2006, 03:37 PM
People always complain that Yao is in the All-Star game because Chinese people went nuts voting for him over the internet. When in fact that's been proved that the majority of the votes for Yao come from within the US. It's just a popularity contest for the starters. So I don't get why people get so riled up over who is a starters.

This year the A-S game is in Houston, so obviously Rockets fans wanted to see their players in. In years past, Vince Carter has been the leading vote getter while being injured, etc.

It's a popularity contest ruled by popular vote. That's what it is .. a game for the fans where the starters are voted in by the fans.

WalterBenitez
02-17-2006, 03:45 PM
People always complain that Yao is in the All-Star game because Chinese people went nuts voting for him over the internet. When in fact that's been proved that the majority of the votes for Yao come from within the US.

Are Chinesse population is US so big?? or Houston is big enough?? :oops

ALVAREZ6
02-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Well Houston is the 4th largest US city population-wise, so that plays into it too.

WalterBenitez
02-17-2006, 03:50 PM
I know this has been mentioned before, and I agree with it: The All-Star game should be USA vs. International.
In LNB (ARG's National BBall League) is in that way, not sure in another countries.

Dirk, Gasol, TP, Nash, Manu would be fantastic
Yao, Gasol, AK-47, Peja, Nash not too bad

The only question is who USA will select... I hope the STARS USA sent to WC 2002 :blah

Sportman
02-17-2006, 06:04 PM
I know this has been mentioned before, and I agree with it: The All-Star game should be USA vs. International. That would be way more entertaining than the east vs. west.

The international team would have all of these guys:
Dirk
Nash
Manu
TP
AK-47
Gasol
Peja
Yao

not a bad team.

Yes, i would pay for watching a game like this, i think if this game would exist people from all over the world would be waiting to watch it. Nevertheless, THE NBA is risking to be defeated for international players what could be something terrible for STERN :rolleyes , people from other countries wouldnt want to watch the nba and well you know all the rest.

island_dude
02-18-2006, 10:51 AM
As far as ballots are concerned... I had a friend that worked for a certain west coast team, and they would do ballot stuffing (physical ballots) as part of their job. Apparently all teams do this.

Besides, Yao is very much the best center in the West. Sad but true. Who else, Marcus "Broken" Camby or Brad Miller?
Sorry, but Yao isn't the best center in the West, and yes Camby and Miller are both more deserving than him.

island_dude
02-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Actually Houston has very large Asian population. I'd say alot of the votes are by Asian Ameicans as well, not just Chinese.