PDA

View Full Version : Let's make a deal TIME FOR AI to be traded

ducks
02-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Let's make a deal
Let's make a deal

Jack McCallum, SI.com

So, whaddya got? A player or two? Used pickup truck? How about some of those old Star Wars action figures, the ones that came in that gorgeous retro gold case?

Isiah Thomas will listen. The way everyone tells it, just about everybody on his New York Knicks roster with the exception of Channing Frye and Walt Frazier (oh, he doesn't play anymore?) is available. Here's one possibility: Stephon Marbury and Penny Hardaway for two Luke Skywalkers, a C-3PO and a Ford 150 to be named later.

Yes, with the NBA trading deadline set for next Thursday, word around the league is that the Knicks' general manager is willing to make some moves in a continued effort to -- how shall we put this? -- upgrade the roster. Only a wise guy would note that, in Larry Brown's first season, the roster seemingly can't be downgraded.

But let's leave the Knicks out of this for a change and pick on somebody else. Which other teams need to make a deal? One could argue that there are, oh, 25 of them, so far ahead of the pack are the Detroit Pistons, San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Mavericks and, to a lesser extent, the Phoenix Suns and Miami Heat. But this is a five-pack format, so here are five. Keep in mind that the Free Darko movement has already succeeded in getting Mr. Milicic out of Detroit (he's in Orlando) and that several other deals might come down after I write this on Thursday morning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Yes No
Yes No

Yes No

1. Denver Nuggets

G.M. Kiki Vandeweghe hates the fact that trade scenarios are made public. I feel for him, but, his public denials to the contrary, the Nuggets are trying to make a deal. Concentration has settled on Kenyon Martin, whose monster rebounding skills are a lure. On the other hand, his volatile temperament and monster contract are turnoffs: After he gets his $10.6 million this season, he is still owed about $70.8 million through 2011. The Nugs need to move him since they'll be giving Carmelo Anthony a max deal in two years, but there are few teams in position to take him. (Well, maybe the Knicks.)

I'm not sure that their most tradeable piece isn't either of their two backup Earl guards, Boykins, an undersized but underrated player with a modest contract, and Watson, who was dangled early in the season. Either is a potential starter on several other teams.

2. Minnesota Timberwolves

They did well by unloading Michael Olowokandi, a drain on anyone's roster, to the Boston Celtics a few weeks ago. But they shouldn't stop there. They are one of the most disappointing teams in the league, and G.M. Kevin McHale will not hesitate to pull the trigger. But as for the obvious question ... no, he won't trade Kevin Garnett. Besides the Big Ticket, McHale's next most valuable piece might be the underrated Trenton Hassell, a defensive stopper and a good one-on-one player, but he won't part with him, either. Look for a deal involving point guard Marko Jaric, who looks uncomfortable playing with K.G.

3. Cleveland Cavaliers

Yes, they have LeBron James. But Danny Ferry, the Cavs' first-year G.M., is a smart guy and knows his team is nowhere near the Pistons or the Heat, and, for that matter, not much better than the Milwaukee Bucks, New Jersey Nets or Indiana Pacers (even with the injured Jermaine O'Neal). That became even more apparent when Larry Hughes got the depressing news that his broken finger required a second surgery. Ferry isn't going to mortgage the future, but he comes from a winning tradition with the San Antonio Spurs.

I could see him parting with Drew Gooden, whose relentless rebounding would be attractive to any number of teams, in exchange for a shooter to take the pressure off James.

4. Golden State Warriors

Ever so quietly, the Northern Californians have turned what seemed to be a playoff-bound season into a supreme disappointment. Point guard Baron Davis, who should be channeling, say, Chauncey Billups, is channeling Steve Francis instead. But no team is going to take on Davis' contract, which has $49 million left after this season. The Warriors also have two other big-contract guys in Jason Richardson and Troy Murphy, and, for good measure, they owe Adonal Foyle $34 million through '09 -- Adonal Foyle! Untradeables all, though they probably wouldn't want to get rid of Murphy in any case.

That leaves Mike Dunleavy, and I could see his outside touch being valuable to any number of teams.

5. Philadelphia 76ers

My guess is, the 76ers will slide into the Eastern Conference playoffs as the eighth seed. That isn't good enough for a team with one of the most exciting players in the game. So, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls ... I think it's time. Time for the 76ers to part with Allen Iverson.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that Andre Iguodala and Kyle Korver can replace Iverson's scoring. But in any trade scenario, A.I. would bring valuable pieces, probably a legit player, maybe a prospect and a draft pick and also clear cap space to go after a free agent. No deals involving Iverson seem to be in the wind, but this is about which teams need to make a trade, right? It's time to shop A.I. to the West.