PDA

View Full Version : Sosa's legacy up for debate (retiring?)

ducks
02-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Sosa's legacy up for debate
Sosa's legacy up for debate

By RICK GANO, AP Sports Writer
February 16, 2006

AP - Feb 16, 2:54 pm EST
More Photos

MESA, Ariz. (AP) -- Sammy Sosa was once one of baseball's most popular figures, a prodigious home run hitter who raced enthusiastically to his position and tapped his heart to salute adoring fans in the Wrigley Field bleachers.

Now one season after his bitter departure from the Chicago Cubs, the 37-year-old Sosa is probably headed to retirement, his days of circling the bases over.

If that is the case, he leaves behind a conflicting legacy.

"I imagine it's frustrating when you get to this point in your career and you can't get a guaranteed contract. I can't imagine what that would be like for him and I feel for him, I really do," Cubs catcher Michael Barrett said.

"He's had a great career and unfortunately with the way the game has gone -- let's be truthful -- the way the game has gone, it hasn't helped him in any regard and I feel for him in that way, too."

Sosa and Mark McGwire helped energize baseball and fill the stadiums with an epic home run duel in 1998, four years after a strike left many fans disillusioned.

ADVERTISEMENT

But with baseball mired in accusations that star players used steroids, Sosa was among the players called to testify before a congressional committee last March. McGwire refused to answer questions about past steroid use. Sosa said he never used illegal steroids.

"I listen to talk shows all the time and I hear a lot of things about how fans are disappointed about how Sammy's career has ended and how they've been disappointed," Barrett said.

"And a lot of people are judgmental, judging that he was a steroid guy and they said a lot of things that I feel are not appropriate at this point in his career. I don't think it's fair. Say what you want to say about the corked bat, that's one instance. That was one mistake he made.

"But overall you look at the career he had, and he had a tremendous career. He gave a lot to this organization and the organization gave a lot to him."

Sosa is 12 homers shy of 600 -- 545 of them with the Cubs. From 1998-2002, Sosa hit 292 homers. And he is the only player in major league history to have three seasons of at least 60 homers.

Then there is the other side. There was his use of a corked bat during a game in 2003 and subsequent suspension. If some Cubs fans forgave that, they turned on him the following season when his numbers began to decline.

Slowed by a sore back brought on by a violent sneezing attack, he batted just .253 and in 126 games finished with 35 homers and 80 RBIs in 2004. Boos began to pour down.

His quirks -- a home run hop, blowing kisses in rapid succession after retuning to the dugout, tapping his heart and racing to right field like a sprinter before each game -- grew old to some.

And it was no secret that his boom box that often sent out loud music throughout the clubhouse was not always popular with his teammates.

When he skipped out early from the regular-season finale in 2004 and then lashed out at manager Dusty Baker for blaming him for the Cubs failures, his days in Chicago were soon to be over.

Traded to the Orioles, he struggled again last season with his bat and his health, hitting .221 with 14 homers and 45 RBIs.

"I thought he'd be playing," said former Orioles manager Lee Mazzilli, adding that there was "no question" Sosa could still contribute.

"I hope he plays. He's a good guy. When you get old, injuries can creep up on you."

Sam Perlozzo, who replaced Mazzilli as the Orioles skipper, said Sosa could be leaving because he knows it's time.

"Obviously Sammy is a very proud guy. It seemed to me if he's going to retire, then he probably doesn't feel like he's going to be as productive as he wants," he said.

"For that, you give him credit, a pat on the back. I would have liked to have seen the guy do a little bit better in his last year. He did a lot for the game, and we're going to miss a good player."

After turning down an non-guaranteed offer from the Washington Nationals, Sosa is probably headed to retirement, according to his agent Adam Katz.

"I've seen some greats leave the game. You never want to see them leave and you'd rather see them leave on their terms and leave on top," Baker said Thursday, still not convinced Sosa was through playing.

"It's not over with yet. You don't know if somebody is going to offer Sammy a job here soon or what is going to happen. But Sammy has been one of the great players of the game for a long time and a guy who meant a lot to Chicago and a lot to the game. ... I just hope he gets a job somewhere."

So does Mets general manager Omar Minaya, who was responsible for Sosa signing with the Texas Rangers, his first team.

"I hope that's not the case. I hope that he will be given the opportunity to play," Minaya said Thursday from Port St. Lucie, Fla.

"He's done a lot of great things for baseball."

Kerry Wood was a rookie in 1998 when Sosa and McGwire put on their epic home run duel.

"It was fun to be a part of that," Wood said.

"Like I always said about Sammy, he came ready to play. No matter what kind of person he was, no matter what people wrote about him, (what) people said about him, he was ready to play for 162 games every day. And I still have yet to see somebody prepare the way he did."

AP Sports Writers Mike Fitzpatrick, David Ginsburg and Ronald Blum contributed to this report.

Updated on Thursday, Feb 16, 2006 5:49 pm EST

samikeyp
02-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Steriods forum...oh wait..we are already here! :)

Drive Like Jehu
02-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Slowed by a sore back brought on by a violent sneezing attack

Someone needs to collect all of the steriod injury excuses.

Horry For 3!
02-17-2006, 01:20 PM
Sosa is pretty much done. He should just retire.

Horry For 3!
02-17-2006, 01:21 PM
Also, Bonds should retire after this year.

Trainwreck2100
02-17-2006, 01:26 PM
Also, Bonds should retire after this year.

Bonds should be hit by a mack truck before his cheating ass surpasses anyone else in the record books.

Horry For 3!
02-17-2006, 01:35 PM
I am pretty sure he'll retire after this season though.

Trainwreck2100
02-17-2006, 02:04 PM
I am pretty sure he'll retire after this season though.

I'm pretty sure he needs to be hit by a mack truck, though.

Slinkyman
02-17-2006, 02:41 PM
As a cubs i admire Sosa not for hitting home runs but for having the balls to find a way to cheat as much as possible. How many guys on Roids would actually think twice about corking thier bat? Talk about not giving a S***.

Drive Like Jehu
02-17-2006, 03:52 PM
As a cubs i admire Sosa not for hitting home runs but for having the balls to find a way to cheat as much as possible. How many guys on Roids would actually think twice about corking thier bat? Talk about not giving a S***.

I think Sosa started corking because his body was worn out. He was just following a trend started during the 90s. First a sudden burst of power, resulting in a career year. The power numbers continue, but more and more injuries effecting the players back, legs and joints appear. Finally the player spends more time on the DL then on the field.

check out this quote from Ken Caminiti in a SI interview:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online/special_report/steroids/ (http://)

I got really strong, really quick. I pulled a lot of muscles. I broke down a lot," he said. "I'm still paying for it. My tendons and ligaments got all torn up. My muscles got too strong for my tendons and ligaments. And now my body's not producing testosterone. You know what that's like? You get lethargic. You get depressed. It's terrible."

It makes you think about how many current and recent players fit this description and what's going to happen to them during the next several decades.

Corky Sosa
02-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Buenos Tardes mis amigos del beisbol en San Antonio! Andale SPURS! TEEN DUNCAN BRAVO!

My english not so good.

I'n playeen de basebol gane good. I'n like de gane.

I thinkin ju know, de Meester Palmero he saying shot of B-doce..I say to that BINGO in dis country. I neber had the BINGO card. I think ees good gane.

Steroids been beddy good to me. I hit de hone run, i like de Mark McGwire when he hit de hone run, I like de gane. I want to be een hall of fane. I maybe can be in as skeeney ranger. Bye bye.

Silver21_Black20
02-19-2006, 04:00 AM
Buenos Tardes mis amigos del beisbol en San Antonio! Andale SPURS! TEEN DUNCAN BRAVO!

My english not so good.

I'n playeen de basebol gane good. I'n like de gane.

I thinkin ju know, de Meester Palmero he saying shot of B-doce..I say to that BINGO in dis country. I neber had the BINGO card. I think ees good gane.

Steroids been beddy good to me. I hit de hone run, i like de Mark McGwire when he hit de hone run, I like de gane. I want to be een hall of fane. I maybe can be in as skeeney ranger. Bye bye.

:lmao

Corky Sosa...buahahaha :lol

mikejones99
02-19-2006, 07:20 AM
Sosa and McGwire lied so may not make HOF. Bonds is a nice guy with a big head.

Peter
02-22-2006, 01:40 AM
MLB likes to punish those who make the league money, as if the players should be playing strictly for the love of the game. I feel the Rose treatment coming on.