PDA

View Full Version : Culpepper says he plans to play for Vikes, if they want him

ducks
02-17-2006, 09:18 AM
Culpepper says he plans to play for Vikes, if they want him
Culpepper says he plans to play for Vikes, if they want him

By DAVE CAMPBELL, AP Sports Writer
February 16, 2006

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- Daunte Culpepper wanted to make sure there was no misinterpretation: He's concerned with getting healthy, not speculation about his future with the Minnesota Vikings.

And Culpepper, unless he's told otherwise by owner Zygi Wilf, plans to play quarterback for the Vikings this fall.

ADVERTISEMENT

He didn't respond specifically on Thursday to a report that the team is considering trading him because of his recent requests for more money. But Culpepper offered his take on the rumors that have surrounded him since the season ended.

"I have found over the years that people with knowledge of the situation are usually the most ignorant, and anonymous sources are usually synonymous with cowards who don't want to go on the record," Culpepper said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "My position has been and continues to be that I am focusing on rehabilitating my knee so that I can come back and play the game I love at the highest level.

"Until I hear different from Mr. Wilf or the new 'triangle of authority' at the Vikings, I plan on playing quarterback for Minnesota. Trying to delve into speculation, innuendo, rumor or anything else of this nature would be a waste of energy. I choose at this time to spend my energy on getting healthy. Thank you for relaying this message to the public."

The Star Tribune of Minneapolis, citing an anonymous person with knowledge of the situation, reported Thursday that the team is gauging Culpepper's trade value in response to his contract demands. The newspaper, citing three anonymous sources with knowledge of the situation, also reported that Culpepper tried three times in a six-week period ending Jan. 31 to upgrade his deal.

Culpepper let his longtime agent, Mason Ashe, go last month. He has been representing himself since then, saying he wanted to be more involved in his financial business.

The Vikings, coincidentally, introduced their new vice president of player personnel, Fran Foley, at a news conference at their headquarters. But Foley wouldn't address this subject, or much of anything else, and Wilf didn't take questions.

"My position will be that we're not going to talk about our football business in public," Foley said. "It's just not going to happen. It's not the way that I do business, and it won't be the way that we'll do business from this point forward."

Foley, who spent the last three seasons with San Diego and the nine years before that with Jacksonville as a personnel official, was asked twice more for general comments on Culpepper. He declined.

"Whether it's Daunte or another player," Foley said, "I can't give you an evaluation on him as a performer -- or our plans with the player."

Culpepper, who was picked for his third Pro Bowl following a record-setting year in 2004, struggled badly through the first part of the 2005 season before tearing the anterior cruciate, medial collateral and posterior cruciate ligaments in his knee during a game against Carolina last Oct. 30.

He had surgery Nov. 15 and has since spent most of his time rehabilitating in Florida. He spoke last month by phone with new coach Brad Childress, who said at his introductory news conference that the 29-year-old Culpepper "right now, is the franchise quarterback."

But that doesn't mean he will continue to be, despite Wilf's previous pledge to pay Culpepper a $6 million bonus he's due in March.

Though he has maintained his innocence, Culpepper's image was tainted after a wild boat party produced three misdemeanor charges for him and three teammates. The Vikings also must judge his on-field value, considering veteran quarterback Brad Johnson's success in relief and the uncertainty of Culpepper's health following such a catastrophic injury.

exstatic
02-17-2006, 11:20 PM
In the era of the hard salary cap, he demanded a doubling of his salary. That will be his ticket out of town.

snowboarder
02-18-2006, 01:47 AM
hope he stays in minny

ducks
02-18-2006, 11:21 AM
hope he stays in minny
why?

Spurs rock
02-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Vikings would be stupid to let him go. This new Vikings owner is a fuckin' dumbass, and I thought Red McCombs was bad.

ShoogarBear
02-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Vikings would be stupid to let him go. This new Vikings owner is a fuckin' dumbass, and I thought Red McCombs was bad.
Maybe, but what a cool name.

Zygi Wilf.

LOL

exstatic
02-20-2006, 08:16 PM

Keeping an already overpaid QB who thinks he's underpaid is a bad idea. This team is not headed in an upward direction. Time to cash out while he is still reasonably healthy and can net you a good return. Bring back Brad J, and draft a young QB to groom.

ducks
02-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Culpepper shopped to Baltimore
The Baltimore Ravens apparently were among the teams the Vikings contacted last week in an effort to gauge the trade value of quarterback Daunte Culpepper, but no deal with the Ravens or any other team appears imminent.
Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

The Baltimore Ravens apparently were among the teams the Vikings contacted last week in an effort to gauge the trade value of quarterback Daunte Culpepper, but no deal with the Ravens or any other team appears imminent.
Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome told the [Baltimore] Sun on Monday that "we're interested in any matter that will make our football team better." Newsome said there have been no negotiations "officially" but did not rule out the possibility that the issue could be revisited. Along with the Ravens, other teams expected to shop for quarterbacks this offseason include Oakland, Miami and the N.Y. Jets.

The Miami Herald reported Monday night that the Dolphins have spoken to the Vikings and are interested in him.

No trade can be finalized until the new NFL year begins March 3, but negotiations and a verbal agreement could occur any time. The Vikings presumably would like to resolve the issue before their scheduled $6 million bonus payout to Culpepper next month.

A person with knowledge of the situation said last week the Vikings had begun shopping Culpepper, who is recovering from three torn ligaments in his right knee. The website www.profootballtalk.com has reported that the Vikings were seeking a second-round draft pick, but indications are that they are pushing for additional compensation.

Meanwhile, the Vikings haven't tipped their hand on several key issues to be resolved before free agency starts. They're not believed to have held substantive discussions with either of their key free agents, receiver Koren Robinson and cornerback Brian Williams, and it is unclear whether they will use their franchise or transition tags on either player.

The deadline to designate franchise or transition players is Thursday. They probably can avoid the issue with Robinson, with whom they hold a contractual right of first refusal, but it's not out of the question that they could use it on Williams.

The franchise tag for cornerbacks is $5.893 million, while the transition figure is $4.774 million.

Brees likely free agent

The Chargers are primed to let quarterback Drew Brees test free agency. San Diego General Manager A. J. Smith said the team has declined to designate Brees as its franchise or transition player.

Bears hire Byrd

Chicago hired former Pro Bowl cornerback Gill Byrd as defensive quality control coach and promoted Lloyd Lee to defensive assistant.

Jets name assistants

Bryan Cox was hired as the Jets assistant defensive line coach. Other assistants named include: Brian Schottenheimer, who will serve as offensive coordinator, and Bob Sutton was promoted from linebackers coach to defensive coordinator.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

©2006 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.