PDA

View Full Version : Warner agrees to three-year contract with Cardinals

ducks
02-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Warner agrees to three-year contract with Cardinals
Warner agrees to three-year contract with Cardinals

By ANDREW BAGNATO, AP Sports Writer
February 15, 2006

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- Quarterback Kurt Warner was prepared to sign with another team if the Arizona Cardinals decided he wasn't in their plans after one injury-shortened season. His daughter, Jesse, had a different idea.

"She said, 'Dad, just retire. Just retire so we can stay here,"' Warner said Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

It never came to that once Warner agreed to an incentive-laden three-year contract that could be worth between $15 million-$22 million. The deal means the Cardinals have their starting quarterback as they head into their new stadium in Glendale next fall. It also means Jesse, a high school freshman, will be able to graduate with her friends.

"She was happy that we got it done so she didn't have to move," Warner said. "Had this not worked out here, I don't know what I would have done."

With Warner on board, the Cardinals will turn their attention to other needs, including upgrading the offensive line and running game. With Warner starting 10 games last year, Arizona had the NFL's most potent passing attack. But the Cardinals' rushing attack finished last.

Warner said he was "intrigued" by the possibility of reuniting with his former St. Louis coach, Mike Martz, who is the Lions' offensive coordinator. Commanding Martz's high-powered offense in St. Louis, Warner was twice named NFL Most Valuable Player and led the Rams to their only Super Bowl title after the 1999 season.

Warner, who will be 35 when next season kicks off, went 2-8 as a starter last year. He missed the last two games of the 2005 season with a knee injury. He said he's healthy and has been running for the last six weeks.

Warner hasn't played a full season since 2001, but Arizona coach Dennis Green said he isn't concerned about his quarterback's durability.

"I deal in faith and not fear," Green said. "I have faith that Kurt Warner will be an outstanding player."

ducks
02-17-2006, 09:22 AM
this was a very stupid move
3 years come on