PDA

View Full Version : what are your thoughts on tipping at drive-thrus or at pick-up places?

Tim Reynolds
02-17-2006, 01:24 PM
ive noticed that at a few drive thru fast food places they leave a blank of a tip... i think just ridiculous and never tip

what about at a place where you order your food and then go pick it up? do you tip then?

midgetonadonkey
02-17-2006, 01:27 PM
I barely tip waitresses, much less car hops.

T Park
02-17-2006, 01:31 PM
I always tip service people.

They get paid SHIT, so I like to help em out.

Always tip your service people.

Garbage, waiters, waitresses, any kind.

Melmart1
02-17-2006, 02:24 PM
I always tip at Sonic, that is the only place I can think of that I would ever pick up food and need to tip. At a drive-thru, I don't, I have never seen a tip jar at a drive-thru.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-17-2006, 02:27 PM
The dumbest thing is the tip jar at Starbuck's. It's bad enough my dumbass is spending $4 on a cup of coffee, but now you expect a tip?

It's also stupid to tip the mailman, garbageman, etc. They choose to do that job and get paid accordingly....

pache100
02-17-2006, 02:34 PM
I don't tip at drive-throughs, especially if they make me drive up. I was at Dairy Queen a couple of weeks ago and ordered one milkshake. The gal at the window asked me if I'd drive around to the front and someone would bring my shake out to me...WTF? For a SHAKE?!?!? There was no one behind me at the time. About 5 minutes later, there were four cars in the drive-through, and you could tell they were all ordering stuff that had to be cooked. I saw the counter person set the milkshake up on the counter and yell at someone I couldn't see. Well, it sat there for about another five minutes and I got out of the truck, walked inside and got my shake. If I'd wanted to go inside, I'd just have parked and done so in the first place, I wouldn't have gone through the drive-through! Next time (if there is a next time), I'm going to tell them, "Sure, I'll be happy to drive up...just as soon as I get my shake." If they don't like it, I'll just help them out a whole bunch and get my money back and drive on down to the Sonic. I do tip at Sonic.

I went to the Chik-fil-A in New Braunfels when it first opened up and the drive through line was wrapped all the way around the building and out into Walnut Street. The manager came out and started trying to get people to park and go inside. I told him if I wanted to park and go inside I would have done that to start with. He told me, well, I was going to have to get out of the line because the people out on Walnut could not get into the parking lot, and if I didn't he would have to call the police. Hell! I did him a big favor, too, cleared completely out of his parking lot and went to Wendy's (where they never have the problem of an overcrowded parking lot, :lol ). I eat at Chik-fil-A, but I have never been back to that one.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
02-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Its important to tip as often as you can to say movers, builders, delivery guys, or anyone that performs a above average service for you.

I tip the sonic girl if she is friendly although I don't think thats a tip deserving service but its polite to hit her with a buck or at least keep the change.

Waiters will get anywhere from 20% to 35% from me because thats one of the most trying jobs on the planet. I rarely bitch unless its something so obviously wrong. I can live with my order being slightly off just not catastrophically wrong. These people get treated worse than slave children up for trade.

Being in the business for over 12 years, I have never, ever heard of any trade or builder receiving a tip. 99.9% of the people ask for a discount though...

T Park
02-17-2006, 02:41 PM
The dumbest thing is the tip jar at Starbuck's. It's bad enough my dumbass is spending $4 on a cup of coffee, but now you expect a tip?

The people selling the coffee, like the teenagers, have a say??

That seems silly to me.

Chris
02-17-2006, 02:55 PM
I tip at Sonic and sometimes take-out at Denny's but that's not really fast food. Waitresses/waiters always get a 5 spot if its just me. If the service is above average i'll give em 7-8. All depends on how often they keep my drink filled and when they decide to deliver the check. Early face down checks while I'm still finishing my meal shaves off 10-20 percent. Its one of those things that some people wouldn't mind but to me it's basically the waiter/waitress saying I don't like my chances and I'm moving on to the next Utopia.

pache100
02-17-2006, 03:06 PM
I tip at Sonic and sometimes take-out at Denny's but that's not really fast food. Waitresses/waiters always get a 5 spot if its just me. If the service is above average i'll give em 7-8. All depends on how often they keep my drink filled and when they decide to deliver the check. Early face down checks while I'm still finishing my meal shaves off 10-20 percent. Its one of those things that some people wouldn't mind but to me it's basically the waiter/waitress saying I don't like my chances and I'm moving on to the next Utopia.

Maybe. But, I'd rather they bring the check before I finish eating than for me to have to sit there and wait for the check as long as it took to eat my meal. When I get done eating, I want to get out of there.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-17-2006, 03:08 PM
I never ever would tip a carhop at Sonic.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-17-2006, 03:09 PM
At Sonic, I tip a little more if they're on skates.

AlamoSpursFan
02-17-2006, 04:28 PM
I only tip the carhops at Sonic if they're cute.

An argument I always had with the former Mrs. ASF was at bars. She hated that I tip well at bars. I always do, even if I initially get crappy service, because it always leads to better service. You may not think that they remember it, but if you leave a good tip and make sure they see you doing it, they will come back to you as soon as you walk up to the bar even if it's crowded.

What that has to do with tipping fast food I have no idea...just throwing it out there for discussion.

Samr
02-17-2006, 04:57 PM
I'll always let them keep the change at Sonic. They get a few bucks if they are friendly and/or bring it out fast. With most, averaged-priced restaurants, I tip what the service was WORTH, and not a percentage of the check. I've given over 100% tip for some, and I've been known to leave change as the tip, so they know I didn't forget it, just that they did that awful a job.

tlongII
02-17-2006, 05:00 PM
I tip hot chicks.

Mixability
02-17-2006, 05:09 PM
I'd tip it

:lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-17-2006, 07:30 PM
I always tip service people.

They get paid SHIT, so I like to help em out.

Always tip your service people.

Garbage, waiters, waitresses, any kind.

Every call girl I've ever hired gets a tip.

Just doing my part for society.

Shelly
02-17-2006, 07:40 PM
I only tip the carhops at Sonic if they're cute.

Those poor, hard-working, not so cute Sonic carhops! Did you tip the guy carhop if he was cute too??

exstatic
02-17-2006, 09:10 PM
Fast food: never
Sonic: sometimes. If you pay by card, tho, there is no place during the transaction to do so, and I don't always carry cash.

ZStomp
02-17-2006, 09:48 PM
http://www.muda.org/writings/images/20030201_tipping/buscemi_pink.jpg

Fuck tipping. :lmao

rr2418
02-18-2006, 12:00 AM
I always tip at Sonic, that is the only place I can think of that I would ever pick up food and need to tip. At a drive-thru, I don't, I have never seen a tip jar at a drive-thru.

Actually awhile back in the Express News, there was an article about tipping at drive thru places. According to a tipping expert, you don't have to tip or are not expected to tip at Sonics or any similar restaurant.

CheapBastard
02-18-2006, 07:29 AM
I don't tip.

CharlieMac
02-18-2006, 08:53 AM
If you're not making 2.13 an hour, I'm not tipping you.

People working the To-Go counter at restaurants get a buck or two, maybe. I'm in restaurants and food for the past 10 years and I think it's stupid to tip every single person. What's next, tipping people at Conn's? If you're getting paid to do a job, do it the best you can regardless of whether or not a tip is involved.

hussker
02-18-2006, 10:10 AM
In Japan and Korea, no tipping. It is an insult to tip in those coutries (unless on the American bases). To them in their culture, a TIP is an insult because you are telling them "I EXPECTED LESS".

Here, on the other hand, it is expected, culturally, to tip. I usually double the amount of the Sales Tax on the meal or service as that is right at 15%.

A tip for the tipper and note to the tippee...Only apply the tip Percentage to the price of the meal not the sales tax!

PizzaDeliveryGuy
02-18-2006, 10:54 AM
If you want a tip I suggest you follow your customer's directions.

Mr Dio
02-18-2006, 01:33 PM

It's also stupid to tip the mailman, garbageman, etc. They choose to do that job and get paid accordingly....

What's dumber than that are the people who think that they are entitled to extra mocha or extra this & that & not pay for it. How many Mexi places give 3 extra shots of guac just because a person bought 1 taco? How many burger joints give cheese on a burger & don't charge for it?

Samr
02-18-2006, 01:50 PM
My rule for Starbucks (I have a lot of rules)- The only option you have is whip or no whip. Everything else, while it may proportionally largen your perception of your member, is an "add-on." Even if you are subtracting, it is still a derivation from the original drink. Pay for it.

NOTHING is more manly than paying for shit, and you could not possibly look like more of a bitch by not.

Mr Dio
02-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Mr. Dio do you own Starbucks?

:lol

SequSpur
02-19-2006, 03:49 PM
I tip at Sonic, like whatever's left of the coin change... a quarter, fitty, whatever...

but Starbucks?

Uh.... HELL NO.... An ice tea for 2.65 and a straw stuck up my ass..... I ain't tippin for that.

SpursWoman
02-19-2006, 03:50 PM
I think it's stupid to tip every single person

Then I suggest you never visit a little higher-end hair salon. :wow :lol :lol

disruptivehair
02-19-2006, 04:58 PM
ive noticed that at a few drive thru fast food places they leave a blank of a tip... i think just ridiculous and never tip

what about at a place where you order your food and then go pick it up? do you tip then?

I never do.

CharlieMac
02-19-2006, 11:25 PM
Then I suggest you never visit a little higher-end hair salon. :wow :lol :lol

I cringe when I have to pay more than 10 bucks for a haircut. What are you supposed to tip anyway? I leave about 4 on 10.

So how do those higher-end hair salons work? I know you women pay a ridiculous amount of money for haircuts, but how many people do you tip there?

Jekka
02-19-2006, 11:31 PM
I cringe when I have to pay more than 10 bucks for a haircut. What are you supposed to tip anyway? I leave about 4 on 10.

So how do those higher-end hair salons work? I know you women pay a ridiculous amount of money for haircuts, but how many people do you tip there?

Before my friend's friend started cutting my hair at her house for $20 (which is a great deal since she used to charge $60 when she was working at a salon), I used to pay $50-60 at a salon and then would usually tip $10-20 for the person cutting my hair and then usually $5 for the person that washed my hair before the cut.

Unless a woman wants to maintain a really short cut, though, she doesn't usually have to visit as much as a man does. I get my hair cut 3x a year max, so it's not as big a deal to pay that much.

CharlieMac
02-19-2006, 11:40 PM
Before my friend's friend started cutting my hair at her house for $20 (which is a great deal since she used to charge $60 when she was working at a salon), I used to pay $50-60 at a salon and then would usually tip $10-20 for the person cutting my hair and then usually $5 for the person that washed my hair before the cut.

Unless a woman wants to maintain a really short cut, though, she doesn't usually have to visit as much as a man does. I get my hair cut 3x a year max, so it's not as big a deal to pay that much.

You know, when I first met the wife she'd go get her hair cut at some place that charged about that much. She had long hair and what not. Now she's all about short hair and Great Clips.

zero signal
02-19-2006, 11:48 PM
I tip if I actually get waited on. (Handing me a greasy bag and collecting is not waiting.)

Jekka
02-20-2006, 12:22 AM
You know, when I first met the wife she'd go get her hair cut at some place that charged about that much. She had long hair and what not. Now she's all about short hair and Great Clips.

I'm actually much more willing to pay more when I'm getting a short cut as opposed to a longer one. A bad cut on long hair is a lot easier to hide than a short cut. I'm picky about who I trust short hair to.

Mr. Pink
02-20-2006, 01:03 AM
I don't tip. I don't believe in it. Especially if they take too fucking long with my drink refills. Especially if they don't park where i want when I specifically tell them not to park there. Especially if i don't get my fucking refund at bestbuy. And especially if the valet kid looks at me like he deserves it. Fuck tipping.

DieMrBond
02-20-2006, 03:29 AM
Move to Australia. There is no such thing as tipping. What a waste of money. I dont get tipped for doing my job, so why should i have to tip someone else for doing an different job? Pfht. Just because the owner of the store is cheap, and doesnt pay their staff well enough, you have to make up for it?!

Das Texan
02-20-2006, 04:14 AM
when it comes to food, i only tip at places where i sit down and have a meal brought to me with drinks and they bring out refills.

i do think its a bit silly to tip at a place like souper salad, because all they do is bring out a fuckign drink that i could get myself if htey didnt take out hte fountains.

so to answer....tipping at sonic no.

tipping at a resturaunt, in accoradance to the service.

disruptivehair
02-20-2006, 12:46 PM
when it comes to food, i only tip at places where i sit down and have a meal brought to me with drinks and they bring out refills.

i do think its a bit silly to tip at a place like souper salad, because all they do is bring out a fuckign drink that i could get myself if htey didnt take out hte fountains.

so to answer....tipping at sonic no.

tipping at a resturaunt, in accoradance to the service.

Basically I feel this way...if they bring me my food, they get a tip. If they're making minimum wage at McDonald's, they don't. I also don't automatically tip 20%; in Texas I normally doubled the sales tax and the tip'd come out at about 16%; if the service was really great, I tipped more.

Mixability
02-20-2006, 12:48 PM

my cut is usually $15, so I usually just leave the whole $20.

midgetonadonkey
02-20-2006, 12:49 PM
I cut my own hair and tip myself 10%.