PDA

View Full Version : Do our guards hurt Tim's game?

tim_duncan_fan
02-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Maybe it's just me, but it seems that at times the guards hurt Tim's effectiveness on the court. For instance when games get tight down the stretch Duncan doesn't have any room to work because the lane is crowded not only with opposing players trying to double-team him but also with three of his own teamates trying to score(manu, tony and whichever center). Also with none of our perimeter guys being able to shoot anywhere outside of two feet from the basket, our inside-out game becomes nonexistant because if Duncan posts up he will get double or triple teamed and he has to pass it out to some loser who cant hit a wide open shot, or else shoot the ball with 2 or 3 guys guarding him. So I was just wondering if anyone else besides me thought that maybe it's not just Duncan's foot that's hindering him but also the guard play?

ALVAREZ6
02-17-2006, 06:12 PM
no.

mavsfan1000
02-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Well I guess Tim doesn't get as many touches as he used to but I don't think they actually hurt his game. Just not as many shots.

Solid D
02-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Only when they don't hit their shots from the outside.

Guru of Nothing
02-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Well, Bowen is a dirty player. ... Wait, he's a forward.

nm

WalterBenitez
02-17-2006, 08:36 PM
No, the team has more options, probably TD changed sth his game, but his leadership and also his number are still there

DDS4
02-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Pop makes sure it doesn't.

MaNuMaNiAc
02-17-2006, 08:57 PM
LOL! Thats a new one... now not only is Tim responsible for having made TP and Manu, now they are actually responsible for his mediocre play of late?? Give me a break! Most ridiculous theory I ever heard. Perhaps we should let Tim play alone, so as to not hinder his obvious omnipresence! :lmao

doldrums
02-17-2006, 09:06 PM
LOL! Thats a new one... now not only is Tim responsible for having made TP and Manu, now they are actually responsible for his mediocre play of late?? Give me a break! Most ridiculous theory I ever heard. Perhaps we should let Tim play alone, so as to not hinder his obvious omnipresence! :lmao

well said, but we all know TD can run the 1 on 5 break better than anybody else. :blah

mavsfan1000
02-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Well the spurs team isn't quite built around Tim. The guards are doing a lot of the play making rather than the traditional inside-out game that Tim was doing more early in his career.

boutons_
02-17-2006, 09:11 PM
Tim's PF hurts Tim's game.

SpursIndonesia
02-18-2006, 12:16 AM
Hmm, so the TS would rather have Steve Smith & Antonio Daniels as our guards, circa Spurs 2001 version, and also 4 Down aka DumpChump all the time, smart :rolleyes...............Oh wait, we win 2 champ rings with Tony & Manu as our guards

IceColdBrewski
02-18-2006, 12:29 AM

Yup. Some of the Duncan ballwashers have definitely lost their capacity for rational thought lately. Not sure what the deal is. Maybe they're just desperate to make sure he gets his props before he hits the downside of his career.

Sense
02-18-2006, 12:36 AM
they hurt his stats.... not his play.

stretchman21
02-18-2006, 01:02 AM
Maybe it's just me, but it seems that at times the guards hurt Tim's effectiveness on the court. For instance when games get tight down the stretch Duncan doesn't have any room to work because the lane is crowded not only with opposing players trying to double-team him but also with three of his own teamates trying to score(manu, tony and whichever center). Also with none of our perimeter guys being able to shoot anywhere outside of two feet from the basket, our inside-out game becomes nonexistant because if Duncan posts up he will get double or triple teamed and he has to pass it out to some loser who cant hit a wide open shot, or else shoot the ball with 2 or 3 guys guarding him. So I was just wondering if anyone else besides me thought that maybe it's not just Duncan's foot that's hindering him but also the guard play?
no. the guards are able to do what they do BECAUSE of Duncan. neither guard would have made an all-star team if it werent for Duncan.

SenorSpur
02-18-2006, 11:56 AM
I don't know about that, but it does seem that the Spurs, at times, struggle with half-court execution.

As good as this team is at getting stops, it seems they don't generate enough consistent offense to create scoring opportunities when they most need it. They continue hurting themselves with costly turnovers. They simply don't take care of the ball enough and the missed FTs don't help either.

Maybe I just haven't gotten over the Philadelphia game.

nkdlunch
02-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Also with none of our perimeter guys being able to shoot anywhere outside of two feet from the basket,
BS. TP is improving his shooting, Manu can shoot and Barry,Finley, NVE are supposed to be shooters.

our inside-out game becomes nonexistant because if Duncan posts up he will get double or triple teamed and he has to pass it out to some loser who cant hit a wide open shot, or else shoot the ball with 2 or 3 guys guarding him. So I was just wondering if anyone else besides me thought that maybe it's not just Duncan's foot that's hindering him but also the guard play?

I doubt anyone else besides you thinks this way. without our guards, we'd be 30-20 right now and with no championship hopes.

cheguevara
02-18-2006, 12:37 PM
stupidest thread ever. Manu and TP ALWAYS try to involve Tim and feed him the ball and try to play revolving around him. the whole team revolves around Duncan. if you can't see that, you're not watching correctly, get some glasses or something.

Solid D
02-18-2006, 03:25 PM
http://www.solarviews.com/thumb/misc/inner.gif

See when Jupiter, Mars and Earth cool down, then Timmy (shown in the middle) gets doubled and triple teamed and loses his effectiveness trying to heat up for everyone else.

Guru of Nothing
02-18-2006, 08:36 PM

North???

MaNuMaNiAc
02-18-2006, 09:02 PM

See when Jupiter, Mars and Earth cool down, then Timmy (shown in the middle) gets doubled and triple teamed and loses his effectiveness trying to heat up for everyone else.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Spurologist
02-18-2006, 09:37 PM

North???

:lol

2centsworth
02-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Yup. Some of the Duncan ballwashers have definitely lost their capacity for rational thought lately. Not sure what the deal is. Maybe they're just desperate to make sure he gets his props before he hits the downside of his career.
You might be on to something.