PDA

View Full Version : O'Neal, Pacers looking to move on in several areas

pacers4ever
10-20-2003, 08:02 PM
O'Neal, Pacers looking to move on in several areas

October 20, 2003

By Chris Bernucca
SportsTicker Pro Basketball Editor

JERSEY CITY, New Jersey (Ticker) - Jermaine O'Neal is a warrior.

There is virtually nothing that can sap the energy and enthusiasm for the game displayed by the All-Star power forward of the Indiana Pacers.

Not the discovery of the attempted suicide of his stepfather, which occurred during last season and would have reduced most men to a quivering bowl of Jell-O.

Not the inattentive, unfocused play of his teammates, which resulted in another first-round flameout in the playoffs and triggered an overhaul of the team's management.

Not the commitment of international basketball, which O'Neal has met each of the last three summers and plans on meeting again next year in Athens, Greece.

But there is one thing that causes O'Neal's shoulders to slump with the pangs of exhaustion and has him looking for the nearest couch and a quick power nap to clear his head. Just ask him about the coaching situation with the Pacers.

"I've been over this a million times and it's almost burned me out," the normally indefatigable O'Neal said. "Like I've said, things happen. We've talked, I know where they stand and they know where I stand. I get paid to play basketball ... that's what matters to me. The only thing that a player can control is what happens on the court."

O'Neal found that out the hard way this summer. The best big man on the free agent market, he re-signed with the Pacers for $123 million over seven years - but only after receiving assurances from president Donnie Walsh that Isiah Thomas would remain as coach.

Walsh also had rehired Larry Bird, the former coach who was brought in to run the basketball operations. When Bird abruptly fired Thomas in August and replaced him with Rick Carlisle, O'Neal justly felt he had been deceived.

There certainly was a scent of orchestration emanating from the offices at Conseco Fieldhouse. The change was made five weeks after O'Neal had put pen to paper, after most teams had spent whatever money they had for free agents. It also was done with O'Neal in Puerto Rico, playing for Team USA.

The change totally blindsided O'Neal and was in evidence on the court. Just one night earlier, he had come up with the play of the tournament, a clutch blocked shot that preserved a win over Argentina. With his mind clearly elsewhere, he fouled out in 12 minutes.

Afterward, O'Neal could have stolen out a side exit of Roberto Clemente Coliseum. Instead, his warrior mentality returned, facing members of the media he did not even know and answering all of their questions in stern, measured words.

In three years together, O'Neal had formed a strong bond with Thomas, referring to him as a father figure who had provided guidance and helped him become an All-Star. The coach had been a presence at Team USA's practices and games; in fact, he was in Puerto Rico when he was called back to Indianapolis to receive the bad news.

When O'Neal got back to Indianapolis, he did want to not talk to Walsh. He already had spoken his mind and knew that no amount of words would reverse what had been done.

"I don't have any interest in sitting down and talking," O'Neal said. "It's over. It's spilt milk. It's old news. It's over. There's nothing I can say or do to bring Isiah back. Rick Carlisle is a very good coach. The only thing I can do is try to make his job easier and my job easier."

To that end, O'Neal did do some talking - with Thomas. On the eve of training camp, he and his mentor spoke for four hours about leaving the sting of the summer in the past and making a fresh start with Carlisle, who had been an assistant under Bird for three years but - like Bird - left before O'Neal arrived.

"I've never had a problem with him," O'Neal said. "I'm here to play basketball. My goal is to get past the first round of the playoffs and then see what happens. I'm willing to do whatever it takes. Personally, whatever happened this summer, happened. I'm ready to play."

O'Neal's warrior mentality doesn't cloud his ability to see that there are some battles he cannot win. There is nothing positive that could come out of his admiration for Thomas developing into a grudge against Carlisle, who admittedly has better credentials as a coach.

And after accusing management of being less than truthful about its future plans, O'Neal would appear childish if he allowed his own negativity to permeate the club's environment - the same characteristic he blasted some teammates for following last season's tailspin.

Although just 25, O'Neal is no longer a child. He is on his third NBA contract and has gone from coddled teenage rookie to troublesome enigma to meeting expectations to franchise player. Despite the presence of Reggie Miller, this is O'Neal's team and has been for a while. He knows it, and so does his boss.

"This is his seventh year in the league," Bird said. "When I had been in the league seven years, they expected me to do everything. He's not young. He came into the league young, but he's matured. He's grown. Jermaine's an excellent basketball player and he gets paid to play basketball like everyone else. Everyone is expected to work hard and do their job - everyone."

Bird and O'Neal may not ever agree on who would be the best coach for the Pacers. But they are in accord on one thing.

Led by O'Neal, the Pacers possess the deepest team in the Eastern Conference. One through 15, they have better talent than both the New Jersey Nets and Detroit Pistons, whom everyone is touting as eventual conference finals foes.

The Pacers can crash that party, but not without putting aside all of the individual issues that have sidetracked this team over the last eight months and adopting the warrior mentality of their leader.

"I shouldn't have to talk about it anymore," O'Neal said. "We should all know why we're here. There are a lot of guys that just show up and collect checks and I don't want this team to be like that."

"Excuses are over," Bird said. "It's time to play."

Pooh
10-21-2003, 01:10 AM
Best line was at the end by Bird. "Excuses are over, it's time to play ball."