snowboarder
02-18-2006, 10:50 PM
what hater judges

Marklar MM
02-18-2006, 10:50 PM
Robinson For Mp3.

Horry For 3!
02-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Igoudala fucked up with his last few dunks though. They got shittier and shittier.

Aggie Hoopsfan
Iggy didn't get robbed. If 76ers great Moses Malone wouldn't have gone homer and given Nate an 8 on his over Spud Webb dunk, it would have never gotten to that point.

Kori Ellis
Igoudala should have saved his behind the backboard dunk for the Finals.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Nate deserved the Win, he was robbed on the between the leg dunk

Horry For 3!
02-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Yup. His dunks got shittier and shitter after that. Main reason why that one judge went from 10 to 9 so it won't go into another dunk off.

Marklar MM
02-18-2006, 10:57 PM
I wish Nate got that half court disco dunk to go down.

Aggie Hoopsfan
BTW, Kori really hit it on the hammer about the Iggy dunk. He peaked in the first round.

Dunc
Hell of a competition.... disappointing ending. Iggy obviously had no new ideas after the behind the backboard dunk, so for creative points you had to give it to Nate... execution goes to Iggy, but he tried much easier stuff besides his big one. Iggy should have won though, no doubt.

Solid D
Change the rules to 2 tries in the finals. That's it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-18-2006, 10:59 PM
And take judges off the panel if they played the majority of their career on the team of one of the participants.

spurschick
02-18-2006, 11:00 PM
It looked to me like Iggy was getting frustrated having to wait for Nate. All the analysts were saying how much better the slam dunk contest has gotten recently, but it gets a little ridiculous when it takes 14 attempts.

Brutalis
02-18-2006, 11:00 PM
$$$ for meee

IceColdBrewski
02-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Nate deserved the Win, he was robbed on the between the leg dunk

You mean that dunk that took him NINE tries to finally complete?

Kori Ellis
02-18-2006, 11:01 PM
It looked to me like Iggy was getting frustrated having to wait for Nate. All the analysts were saying how much better the slam dunk contest has gotten recently, but it gets a little ridiculous when it takes 14 attempts.

Since he had all that time to wait, he should have spent some of it thinking of a creative dunk for the dunkoff. :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-18-2006, 11:02 PM
I don't think he got robbed on the between the legs thing. He definitely got robbed on the Spud Webb dunk when Moses "76er" Malone gave him an 8. If he wouldn't have jobbed Nate on that attempt we would have never been subjected to the 13 attempt dunk off.

Pistons < Spurs
02-18-2006, 11:02 PM
14 atempts means you NEVER deserve to win a dunk contest. EVER.

I wanted Nate to win, and also put my Vbookie on him, but C'mon...tonight he made the Birdman look good.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Since he had all that time to wait, he should have spent some of it thinking of a creative dunk for the dunkoff.

^^^^^^^^^^^ rack

ShoogarBear
02-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Taking 15 attempts to get off a dunk is ridiculous.

On the other hand, if they only get two dunks, you're going to see only safe attempts.

There should be some way to balance the trade-off.

CharlieMac
02-18-2006, 11:04 PM
What was the deal with that cameraman not wanting to move when AI did that behind the board dunk?

dimsah
Since he had all that time to wait, he should have spent some of it thinking of a creative dunk for the dunkoff. :lol
That's right. I'll take this as a small payback from all the sixer fans I've had to listen to over the last few days talk about Iggy dunking on Tim the other night.

Kori Ellis
I've always thought they should have 4 attempts but there should be a -1 for each of the extra attempts they use.

ALVAREZ6
02-18-2006, 11:07 PM
There's no doubt about it that Iggy got robbed, I already explained it in the other thread.

But I'll say it again, at the end of the night, this was the best dunk contest ever...at least the best one I've ever seen.

CharlieMac
I've always thought they should have 4 attempts but there should be a -1 for each of the extra attempts they use.

That's a good idea. Birdman killed the crowd last year, and if Nate wasn't being so creative, he could have killed the crowd tonight by the 12th attempt.

E20
OH MY FUCKING GOD.

NATE ROBINSON IS 5'9 AND THE SHIT HE DOES.........................OH MY FUCKING GOD............................................... ......................HOLY FUCK, THAT WAS SOME CRAZEE SHIT

Sorry for the cursing.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-18-2006, 11:08 PM
It's hard to say penalize them for extra attempts, then they'd be afraid to get creative and go big.

MI21
02-18-2006, 11:10 PM
This was easily the best dunk contest since 2000.

Iggy pulled 2 dunks no one has seen in an NBA Dunk Comp before (behind the backboard, self alley behind the back ARE YOU KIDDING). Nate was insane with the self alley 2 handed 360, the dunk over spud and the through the legs. Hakim Warrick's dunks were both very nice.

Very good dunk contest, and I have no problem with either Iggy or Nate winning. I just wanted to see a good array of dunks.

Horry For 3!
02-18-2006, 11:12 PM
There's no doubt about it that Iggy got robbed, I already explained it in the other thread.

But I'll say it again, at the end of the night, this was the best dunk contest ever...at least the best one I've ever seen.
It was not the best dunk contest ever but it was good.

E20
Nate the Great (@dunking),
Went more creative than AI did, besides the behind the backboard duck dunk and maybe his behind the back dunk he didn't do anything else speacial.

Nate cleared at least 60 inches over Spud Webb, did the criss cross thing dunk which requires super duper amounts of hangtime, a 360 and through the legs.

At 5'9

CharlieMac
This was easily the best dunk contest since 2000.

Iggy pulled 2 dunks no one has seen in an NBA Dunk Comp before (behind the backboard, self alley behind the back ARE YOU KIDDING). Nate was insane with the self alley 2 handed 360, the dunk over spud and the through the legs. Hakim Warrick's dunks were both very nice.

Very good dunk contest, and I have no problem with either Iggy or Nate winning. I just wanted to see a good array of dunks.Hakim's were nice.

ALVAREZ6
02-18-2006, 11:13 PM
It was not the best dunk contest ever but it was good.
Which was the best?

IceColdBrewski
02-18-2006, 11:14 PM

You poor youngsters. You weren't able to witness the epic Dominique Wilkins (sp?) and Michael Jordan battles, or the Nique/Spud Webb final. Back then, everybody wanted to be in the dunk contest. Nowadays, you're lucky to see just a couple of the best dunkers.

Horry For 3!
02-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Which was the best?
Jordan-Wilkins

E20
02-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Fuck this contest completely blows off the last 6 years.

ALVAREZ6
At 5'9
And I don't even think he's 5'9", Spud was just as tall as him, he looks more like 5'7", which makes it more impressive.

E20
Jordan-Wilkins
Anything with:
Jordan
Wilkins
Drexler
Webb

Dunc
02-18-2006, 11:16 PM
And what the fuck was up with Josh Smith's little masking tape trick? Nothing like setting the bar at an impossible height and then accomplishing nothing. And I gotta say that if Nate had hit that between-both-legs dunk the first time, from half-court, it would have been the best dunk in the history of the NBA. Period. End of discussion. Too bad it took him twelve tries.

E20
02-18-2006, 11:16 PM
And I don't even think he's 5'9", Spud was just as tall as him, he looks more like 5'7", which makes it more impressive.
:wow

Exactly, that's what I WAS thinking during the interview, I'm like GTFO he isn't 5'09

ALVAREZ6
02-18-2006, 11:17 PM
The crap they did tonight was creative as hell thought.

The Jordan-Dominique ones were just sheer jumping ability, which is good, but stuff gets old.

I really liked this dunk contest.

E20
02-18-2006, 11:18 PM
And what the fuck was up with Josh Smith's little masking tape trick? Nothing like setting the bar at an impossible height and then accomplishing nothing. And I gotta say that if Nate had hit that between-both-legs dunk the first time, from half-court, it would have been the best dunk in the history of the NBA. Period. End of discussion. Too bad it took him twelve tries.
WTF was Nate doing?

I don't even know what he was doing. It was like:

Behind the back, through the legs twice hit the backboard from half court. :damnnnnnnnnnnn

On his like 6th try he nearly got it.

spursparker9
02-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Josh Smith was damn disappointing!!!!!!

ALVAREZ6
02-18-2006, 11:19 PM
You poor youngsters. You weren't able to witness the epic Dominique Wilkins (sp?) and Michael Jordan battles, or the Nique/Spud Webb final. Back then, everybody wanted to be in the dunk contest. Nowadays, you're lucky to see just a couple of the best dunkers.
That's something I don't like. Guys are being bitches, they are too spoiled. Lebron turned it down every year, other guys don't do it because they are scared to get hurt...Man fuck that, get off your ass and put on a show.

E20
I love Kenny and Charles descriptions.

THIS GUY IS SICK, SOMEONE TAKE HIM TO THE HOSPITAL.
THIS GUY IS SO SICK HE HAS THE FLU

MI21
And what the fuck was up with Josh Smith's little masking tape trick? Nothing like setting the bar at an impossible height and then accomplishing nothing.

Wow, unless there have been NBA dunk contests happening other than the one at the AS Weekend, I've never seen 2 hands from the FT Line in an NBA Dunk contest.

Yeah, that's nothing.

Kori Ellis

I think he was putting that tape there so he could know that's when he had one more step. I don't think he ever intended to jump from there.

E20
That's something I don't like. Guys are being bitches, they are too spoiled. Lebron turned it down every year, other guys don't do it because they are scared to get hurt...Man fuck that, get off your ass and put on a show.
WORD, I was a little worried for AI, hitting his head on that backboard. GUTS.

ALVAREZ6
02-18-2006, 11:20 PM
WTF was Nate doing?

I don't even know what he was doing. It was like:

Behind the back, through the legs twice hit the backboard from half court. :damnnnnnnnnnnn

On his like 6th try he nearly got it.
No, the one from half court was through his legs once.

He started doing it twice once he moved in a lot closer, and when he did, he barely got it off, I watched the replay a few times and he was on his back foot already with the ball in his hands after the 2nd through the legs.

cecil collins
02-18-2006, 11:20 PM
It's hard to say penalize them for extra attempts, then they'd be afraid to get creative and go big.
But then how can you crown a guy that needs 20 attempts to dunk it the dunk champion.

E20
02-18-2006, 11:21 PM
One day, a guy is gonna do bewteen the legs twice. BOOK IT.

ALVAREZ6
02-18-2006, 11:22 PM
I think he was putting that tape there so he could know that's when he had one more step. I don't think he ever intended to jump from there.
I was thinking the same, Iggy did it too on another dunk, but he didn't use tape.

It was confusing though, people actually thought that he would try to jump from there, but that's just unreal.

If Josh Smith had dunked from that far, I would have killed myself instantly.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-18-2006, 11:23 PM
Which was the best?

1. Jordan-'Nique
2. Wilkins-Webb

Iggy-Nate has got to slide in at #3.

Regardless, Stern needs to up the ante to 1 million dollars and open it up to everyone in the league next year - Kobe, Lebron, TMac, Vince, Jrich, they all need to be there.

Dunc
02-18-2006, 11:23 PM

Yeah, you're probably right... quite disappointing. No way in hell he would have made that anyway. On that dunk from just inside the FT line he barely made it to the rim anyway.

Despot
02-18-2006, 11:24 PM
Iggy didn't get robbed. If 76ers great Moses Malone wouldn't have gone homer and given Nate an 8 on his over Spud Webb dunk, it would have never gotten to that point.

Moses also gave Iggy the 10 int the 8,8,10,9,9, dunk that sent it to a dunkoff.

And noone changed the score on Iggy, watched it on tivo, same judge brought down the 10, and brought it right back up.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-18-2006, 11:24 PM
But then how can you crown a guy that needs 20 attempts to dunk it the dunk champion.

Well if Moses Malone doesn't job him on an earlier dunk, it never gets to that point.

Dunc
02-18-2006, 11:25 PM
I love Kenny and Charles descriptions.

THIS GUY IS SICK, SOMEONE TAKE HIM TO THE HOSPITAL.
THIS GUY IS SO SICK HE HAS THE FLU

Here's one I heard from a guy who does b-ball broadcasts up here in Canada (that's where I'm from):

That was so ill it makes medicine sick. Laughed my ass off the first time I heard that shit. I think it was in reference to some LeBron dunk or something (in a game they probably lost, naturally)

ALVAREZ6

Both of you guys bring a good point.

I agree with Aggie that they are showing that they will try something outrageous, but once they try more than 4 times it's just bad. You have to start taking off points for that.

Nate got away with 14 attempts (wow, 14 attempts, that's rediculous) because everyone wanted him to win, the whole building favored him, and the judges liked him too.

I think it's complete crap that he got a 48 on a 14 attempt dunk.

Despot

Seemed to me like he was going to bounce or throw the ball from there, he really killed the drama right there.

IceColdBrewski
02-18-2006, 11:27 PM
And what the fuck was up with Josh Smith's little masking tape trick? Nothing like setting the bar at an impossible height and then accomplishing nothing.

I knew he couldn't jump from that far. So I thought he was trying to give himself a target for one of those self lob, bounce and catch dunks. I figured he was just marking where the ball needed to bounce from on the lob. But then he just went with the old Jordan free-throw line dunk and I was totally confused. I think he changed his mind and went conservative so he could save that lob-dunk for later. But by that time, everyone had figured he was planning on jumping from there. No freakin way.

ALVAREZ6
02-18-2006, 11:27 PM
1. Jordan-'Nique
2. Wilkins-Webb

Iggy-Nate has got to slide in at #3.

Regardless, Stern needs to up the ante to 1 million dollars and open it up to everyone in the league next year - Kobe, Lebron, TMac, Vince, Jrich, they all need to be there.
But if it's for 1 million, you gotta consider the fact that you need top of the line judges. No BS.

After all, one guys decision could mean 1 million bucks, and the players would probably get pissed because of that.

Still a good idea though.

MI21
02-18-2006, 11:28 PM
Iguodala - Off back of backboard 1 hand reverse. Never seen in NBA Dunk contest.
Smith - 2 hands from FT line. Never seen in NBA Dunk contest.
Iquodala - Self Alley Oop into behind the back dunk. Never seen in NBA Dunk contest.
Robinson - Self Alley 360 2 hand at 5'8. Wow.
Warrick - Jumped over a guy in a chair. Same dunk won Mason a comp 5 years ago.
Robinson - Cleanly jumped Webb from dotted line at 5'8. Wow.
Robinson - Through the legs off 2 steps at 5'8. Wow.
Iquodala - One handed left hand through the legs from Baseline.
Robinson - Off backboard from 30 feet, Mini windmill. At 5'8. Wow.
Warrick - 2 handed underhand reverse. Dr J got much love for same dunk.

When you consider there was only 14 dunks the whole contest, the fact that only 3 or 4 of them were weak, is amazing. Easily a Top 4 dunk contest ever. I could see people making a case for Top 3 easily too.

Das Texan
02-18-2006, 11:29 PM
that had to be the stupidest thing ever.

i hate the unlimited attempts rule. and i hate the way they do the judging.

the dunk contest is in no way 'better'

Despot
02-18-2006, 11:29 PM

Don't blame the player because the commish makes it easy for them.
The 3 point shootout was a mockery, and shouldn't the skills challenge have players that can run with the ball and pass??
The Dunks, not the dunk contest is what saved the night from being a disaster, oh yeah, and the Spurs winning the Shooting star competition.

Despot
02-18-2006, 11:31 PM
What year do you all think was the worst dunk competion ever??

I know my answer, but I want to see some others first.

jcrod
02-18-2006, 11:31 PM
He wasn't robbed, he basically did the same dunk on his last two attempts. Nate was more creative in his last two. Now if Iggy would've saved the behind the backboard dunk for last, no question he wins.

Spurs rock
02-18-2006, 11:32 PM

Yeah but maybe he wouldn't have advance to the Finals without that dunk.

Dunc
02-18-2006, 11:32 PM
The Dunks, not the dunk contest is what saved the night from being a disaster, oh yeah, and the Spurs winning the Shooting star competition.

Yes, I suppose it's only fair you guys have something to take away from this season... :D

ALVAREZ6
02-18-2006, 11:33 PM
Iguodala - Off back of backboard 1 hand reverse. Never seen in NBA Dunk contest.
Smith - 2 hands from FT line. Never seen in NBA Dunk contest.
Iquodala - Self Alley Oop into behind the back dunk. Never seen in NBA Dunk contest.
Robinson - Self Alley 360 2 hand at 5'8. Wow.
Warrick - Jumped over a guy in a chair. Same dunk won Mason a comp 5 years ago.
Robinson - Cleanly jumped Webb from dotted line at 5'8. Wow.
Robinson - Through the legs off 2 steps at 5'8. Wow.
Iquodala - One handed left hand through the legs from Baseline.
Robinson - Off backboard from 30 feet, Mini windmill. At 5'8. Wow.
Warrick - 2 handed underhand reverse. Dr J got much love for same dunk.

When you consider there was only 14 dunks the whole contest, the fact that only 3 or 4 of them were weak, is amazing. Easily a Top 4 dunk contest ever. I could see people making a case for Top 3 easily too.
Exactly.

It just shows how great it was right there.

ALVAREZ6
02-18-2006, 11:38 PM
Don't blame the player because the commish makes it easy for them.
The 3 point shootout was a mockery, and shouldn't the skills challenge have players that can run with the ball and pass??
:tu

The skills competition is so relaxed, so disappointing. Did you see how hard Lebron and them were just sprinting through those obstacles??

Amuseddaysleeper
02-18-2006, 11:40 PM
ESPN has already rated AI's "rear window" dunk one of greatest ever, while saying that nate robinson got a "gift" from the judges

ALVAREZ6
02-18-2006, 11:41 PM
I was really impressed by Nate Robinson though. I had no idea that he could do dunks of that caliber. 5'6" through the legs dunk???

I remeber when a through the legs dunk was a high point getter for a 6-6" guy...

baseline bum
02-18-2006, 11:43 PM
The '87 contest in Seattle was by far the best IMO. Every dunk Jordan did in that contest ranks among the top 10 I've ever seen. The Air Jordan from '87 that TNT made its #1 is my favorite All-Star dunk of all time. His free-throw line dunk in 87 was also much more impressive than the one he did in '88 in Chicago (it seemed like he got much better hang time in the one he did in '87).

ShoogarBear
02-18-2006, 11:48 PM
I would say penalize them 0.2 points from their total for each dunk attempt after 4. It's enough to make a difference in the final score, but not enough for them to benefit by playing it safe.

MI21
02-18-2006, 11:49 PM
The Air Jordan from '87 that TNT made its #1 is my favorite All-Star dunk of all time.

In all seriousness, in terms of degree of dificulty, that Dunk may not even rank in the Top 25 in AS Dunk Comp history.

Kori Ellis
02-18-2006, 11:50 PM
Yeah but maybe he wouldn't have advance to the Finals without that dunk.

That's his problem. He should be more creative than to just think of one good dunk and use it in the first round.

SPARKY
02-18-2006, 11:51 PM
When Nate finally makes that dunk he can turn out the lights.

MI21
02-18-2006, 11:53 PM
That's his problem. He should be more creative than to just think of one good dunk and use it in the first round.

Why do people keep saying this?

He busted out a Self Alley Behind the Back dunk. That has never even been attempted in an NBA dunk contest. What more do you want?

Kori Ellis
02-18-2006, 11:54 PM

He busted out a Self Alley Behind the Back dunk. That has never even been attempted in an NBA dunk contest. What more do you want?

I thought all of Igoudala's dunks were ho-hum except the behind the backboard one. Before the dunk in the dunkoff he was asking Kobe and other players for ideas. So he wasn't that creative in my book.

You might have liked his other dunks, I didn't. I thought they were lame. My opinion.

Shelly
02-18-2006, 11:56 PM
I thought all of Igoudala's dunks were ho-hum except the behind the backboard one. Before the dunk in the dunkoff he was asking Kobe and other players for ideas. So he wasn't that creative in my book.

You might have liked his other dunks, I didn't. I thought they were lame. My opinion.

I agree. His last two dunks didn't look that different. But that behind the backboard one was awesome. I'd declare him the winner if he hit his head on the backboard and still made it.

ALVAREZ6

I'm with you on that one man.

The reason why people are saying that he was only original once was because all of his dunks had to be after Nate Robinson's dunks. The whole world wanted Nate to win, they might as well have given it to him at the beginning, the fans were cheering Nate! Nate! Nate! , the judges wanted it. It was clear that everyone was riding his cock.

That's why Iggy lost. It's hard to do anything and get points after a little dude does something nice, the big guys get discriminated. It's even harder when no one wants you to win.

Amuseddaysleeper

See: Vince Carter

as much as i hate him he'd DESTROY either of these guys blind folded in a dunk contest

MI21
02-18-2006, 11:57 PM
How is completing a dunk that has never been attempted, not creative? Ho-Hum was his first dunk. Behind the Back alley oop is incredible. I just don't see how you can disagree with that because if you see that dunk, you just have to be impressed. It's that good.

Kori Ellis
02-18-2006, 11:58 PM
I just don't see how you can disagree with that because if you see that dunk, you just have to be impressed.

Well we just disagree.. I saw it 3-4 times on replay. It was not that impressive to me. Just get over that someone doesn't agree with you.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-18-2006, 11:59 PM
How is completing a dunk that has never been attempted, not creative? Ho-Hum was his first dunk. Behind the Back alley oop is incredible. I just don't see how you can disagree with that because if you see that dunk, you just have to be impressed. It's that good.

even if it was never attempted before, it just wasnt that.........great enough to win the competition

AI peaked after the 1st round and should brought more to the table

he was basically a teaser for the crowd

the more i think about it

this contest was very overrated mostly b/c of the "unlimited dunk" rule

Despot
02-18-2006, 11:59 PM
I just wish each team had mini all star weekend competitions like this, and have some kind of tourney throughout the season to determine who plays at the big one.

ALVAREZ6
02-19-2006, 12:00 AM
I expect Iggy to have a chip on his shoulder and start windmilling in bitches' faces when the games start again.

:smokin

MI21
02-19-2006, 12:00 AM
See: Vince Carter

as much as i hate him he'd DESTROY either of these guys blind folded in a dunk contest

Huh? Are you saying Vince Carter attempted that dunk? If are you, you are wrong.

If you are answering the "What more do you want" statement, then yeah. I'd love to see VC go up against these guys. I'd expect him to come up with something never seen before..

VC remains in my opinion the best dunker of all time (when mixing in game, contest, power, finesse, grace, leaping ability, creativeness, volume of dunks etc)

ALVAREZ6
02-19-2006, 12:02 AM
VC remains in my opinion the best dunker of all time (when mixing in game, contest, power, finesse, grace, leaping ability, creativeness, volume of dunks etc)
I agree.

Until someone else jumps over a 7 footer in a game, it can't be discussed.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-19-2006, 12:03 AM
Huh? Are you saying Vince Carter attempted that dunk? If are you, you are wrong.

If you are answering the "What more do you want" statement, then yeah. I'd love to see VC go up against these guys. I'd expect him to come up with something never seen before..

i was answering that

and truthfully, that behind the back dunk, i think 90% of the better dunkers int he league could do that. it was "new" but not "wow where'd he come up with that one"

amare dunk off the head alley oop from nash blew away any of the dunks from this year

and yes im serious

nate's dunk over spud webb was nice, but to have someone alley oop the ball off the backboard using their head is way harder if you factor in the timing and everything

so maybe more credit has to be given to nash than amare for that dunk

MI21
02-19-2006, 12:04 AM
Well we just disagree.. I saw it 3-4 times on replay. It was not that impressive to me. Just get over that someone doesn't agree with you.

Fair enough. Actually completing that dunk would be as or almost as difficult as completing the behind the backboard one.

Why do people like gimicky type stuff instead of just great dunks? I couldn't believe how people were raving about Nash/Amare's bullshit in last years dunk comp.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-19-2006, 12:05 AM
Fair enough. Actually completing that dunk would be as or almost as difficult as completing the behind the backboard one.

Why do people like gimicky type stuff instead of just great dunks? I couldn't believe how people were raving about Nash/Amare's bullshit in last years dunk comp.

because it was VERY creative

we see enough "great dunks" in the game

the combo of amare/nash worked beautifully

the alley oop from the head by nash almost made me fall out of my coach and amare didnt need 55 attempts to do it in

ALVAREZ6
02-19-2006, 12:08 AM
i was answering that

and truthfully, that behind the back dunk, i think 90% of the better dunkers int he league could do that. it was "new" but not "wow where'd he come up with that one"

amare dunk off the head alley oop from nash blew away any of the dunks from this year

and yes im serious

nate's dunk over spud webb was nice, but to have someone alley oop the ball off the backboard using their head is way harder if you factor in the timing and everything

I disagree with just about everything.

You are crazy.

braeden0613
02-19-2006, 12:09 AM
the only reason he gave him an 8 was so it would go to a dunk-off

Despot
02-19-2006, 12:10 AM

Just because something is new, doesn't mean it is that much more difficult. I did all kids of dunks like that when I was younger, it's not that hard. although I did them on a 9 1/2 foot rim (Handicap since I'm white) , and I certainly did not have an ounce of style, but I did them. 6 more inches makes it all that much harder for professional athletes??

MI21
02-19-2006, 12:10 AM
i was answering that

and yes im serious

so maybe more credit has to be given to nash than amare for that dunk

Alright, agree to disagree. I will have to say something about the 90% of good dunkers being able to do that behind the back thing though. It is harder than a through the legs dunk, that's for sure. It's actually kind of a "never even bother trying" sort of dunk, that's how hard it is.

As for the Nash/Amare thing, I disagree whole heartedly. But thats what you like, so it's cool :spin

MI21
02-19-2006, 12:14 AM

the alley oop from the head by nash almost made me fall out of my coach and amare didnt need 55 attempts to do it in

Ok, I disagree. Pretty much anyone who can dunk and anyone who can header a soccer ball a few feat can do that one. That's what you like though, so fair enough.

Just because something is new, doesn't mean it is that much more difficult.

Didn't say it was. But behind the back is incredibly hard. I know people who are incredible dunkers who can jump over fucking cars that can't do it.

Despot
02-19-2006, 12:14 AM
Overall, I think the difficulty of nates dunks is what helped him, even though he missed so many. But hey, those all the rules, They all had the oppurtunity to try more difficult dunks. Josh would have been better off trying that first dunk he was gonna do 5 times and missing rather than take the safe route.

ALVAREZ6
02-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Ok, I disagree. Pretty much anyone who can dunk and anyone who can header a soccer ball a few feat can do that one. That's what you like though, so fair enough.

Didn't say it was. But behind the back is incredibly hard. I know people who are incredible dunkers who can jump over fucking cars that can't do it.
He's right.

Going around the back in mid-air is one of the hardest dunks you can do, much harder than through the legs.

Pretty soon, guys are gonna have to start doing back flips of something.

MI21
02-19-2006, 12:18 AM
As i just think about this comp more, it was amazing.

Nate Robinson was just incredible. I can't wait to watch it again when I get the tape of it.

Despot
02-19-2006, 12:20 AM
Oh, another thing, the basketballs in the dunk contest looked smaller than regulation, did anyone notice that? Even now that I am looking at the replay, they seem alot smaller, WNBA ball?

ALVAREZ6
02-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Oh, another thing, the basketballs in the dunk contest looked smaller than regulation, did anyone notice that? Even now that I am looking at the replay, they seem alot smaller, WNBA ball?
Nope.

They used the money balls from the 3 point contest.

baseline bum
02-19-2006, 12:28 AM
In all seriousness, in terms of degree of dificulty, that Dunk may not even rank in the Top 25 in AS Dunk Comp history.

His hangtime was sick in that dunk. No one could do that dunk the way he did it.

E20
02-19-2006, 12:30 AM

Were you at the event? Because if not then I don't know how you know. The only point could be made was when Kobe and Igudola were talking and Kobe was stretching, scratching his back or something.

Kori Ellis
02-19-2006, 12:32 AM
Were you at the event? Because if not then I don't know how you know. The only point could be made was when Kobe and Igudola were talking and Kobe was stretching, scratching his back or something.

I thought it was obvious that they were talking about what dunk he was going to next.

E20
02-19-2006, 12:33 AM
It doesn't really matter, they are all freaks. :smokin

MI21
02-19-2006, 12:37 AM
His hangtime was sick in that dunk. No one could do that dunk the way he did it.

Good point. No one, absolutely no one hangs and flys like Jordan.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-19-2006, 12:41 AM

Dude, any good soccer player can put a header on a spot for you, Nash used to play soccer. It was different, but not a 'wow' dunk. There were two of those tonight - one from Iggy, one from Nate

Despot
02-19-2006, 12:48 AM
Kori, are you in Houston?? Do you feel like you have missed out on anything so far?

Cant_Be_Faded
02-19-2006, 12:51 AM
I thought that kobe was telling him what he was doign wrong on the dunk he attempted twice and had finally finished
the gesture he made resembled the dunk

Kori Ellis
02-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Kori, are you in Houston?? Do you feel like you have missed out on anything so far?

I'm not in Houston. We didn't go this year.

E20
02-19-2006, 12:54 AM
I'm not in Houston. We didn't go this year.
Wow, you flew to Denver, but didn't drive down to Houston.

leemajors
02-19-2006, 01:04 AM
I was really impressed by Nate Robinson though. I had no idea that he could do dunks of that caliber. 5'6" through the legs dunk???

I remeber when a through the legs dunk was a high point getter for a 6-6" guy...

he made top 10 plays in sportscenter repeatedly his last 2 years in college. larry bird had been raving about nate for a while too, saying his height didn't matter. he had one putback for washington last year that was crazy - someone shot a j and it bricked off the back of the rim and you see this tiny guy come up out of nowhere and jam it HARD... it had me tuning in to washington games the rest of the season - i get fox pacific and they would show uwash games a bit.

Kori Ellis
02-19-2006, 01:05 AM
Wow, you flew to Denver, but didn't drive down to Houston.

Yeah, we went to L.A. and to Denver, but this year I'm a little sick and timvp has a lot of work to do - so we skipped it.

I got credentialed and everything, but we decided on Thursday not to go.

E20
02-19-2006, 01:06 AM
Yeah, we went to L.A. and to Denver, but this year I'm a little sick and timvp has a lot of work to do - so we skipped it.

I got credentialed and everything, but we decided on Thursday not to go.
You should have mailed me your stuff. I could have been the official FSP repersenative.

leemajors
02-19-2006, 01:08 AM

after dee brown they had to get gimmicky, cedric ceballos was the worst. if nate had brought someone else besides spud webb out there it wouldn't have had the same effect. people don't want to see "great dunks" because we see those in games all the time - they want to see something new. that's the problem with the dunk contest, pretty much everything has been done.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-19-2006, 01:10 AM
they want to see something new. that's the problem with the dunk contest, pretty much everything has been done.

Right, I've lost track the number of times I've seen a guy go between his legs twice, throw it off a backboard and dunk it like Nate did tonight. :rolleyes

leemajors
02-19-2006, 01:12 AM
you've totally misunderstood what i said - seeing someone that short sky like that is something we haven't seen, i was 100% behind kornheiser when he said friday nate robinson would win. i meant the dunk contest on the whole has sucked for a while - this one was a whole lot better.

leemajors
02-19-2006, 01:13 AM
like josh smith's free throw line dunk - we have seen that in the dunk contest plenty of times. it's very impressive but ho-hum because we saw jordan and dr. j do it better.

MI21
02-19-2006, 01:17 AM
f nate had brought someone else besides spud webb out there it wouldn't have had the same effect

No for me. He clear jumped the guy. Actually, it probably would of been more impressive with someone else, because the person may have been taller than Spud.

after dee brown they had to get gimmicky, cedric ceballos was the worst.

Dee Brown covered his eyes with his arm. Is that gimmicky? Cedric's blindfold was a load of crap, pretty much impossible to do that dunk without looking, I would probably agree that that was the worst gimmick.

people don't want to see "great dunks" because we see those in games all the time - they want to see something new.

Incorrect. The only player I ever recall doing a thru the legs dunk in a game was Ricky Davis early in the 2003-2004 season, playing for Cleveland against Philadelphia. You just don't see through the legs, behind the back, jumping over people, self alleys etc in real games very often, and when you do, they are just basic versions.

that's the problem with the dunk contest, pretty much everything has been done.

We saw 2 dunks done today which have never been performed on an NBA stage in the 60 years it has existed, in a game or in a contest. So there is stuff out there.

Leetonidas
02-19-2006, 01:17 AM
I don't think he got robbed on the between the legs thing. He definitely got robbed on the Spud Webb dunk when Moses "76er" Malone gave him an 8. If he wouldn't have jobbed Nate on that attempt we would have never been subjected to the 13 attempt dunk off.

I thought Nate got a 50 on the dunk over Spud?

MI21
02-19-2006, 01:19 AM
like josh smith's free throw line dunk - we have seen that in the dunk contest plenty of times. it's very impressive but ho-hum because we saw jordan and dr. j do it better.

Nope.

Smith did it with 2 hands, much harder. The back of his foot was on the FT line, just like the Doc and MJ's front foot was. 2 hands = more impressive than 1, because it's just flat out harder to do.

leemajors
02-19-2006, 01:22 AM
i would say dr. j's is way more impressive than josh smith's - he probably did it in chuck taylors, and he did it first with a fro drag coefficient.

Gerryatrics
02-19-2006, 01:43 AM
Brent Barry did it better than the lot of them (and without even taking his warmups off). Well, at least he was closest to actually jumping from behind the freethrow line if I remember correctly.

And I thought Nate deserved to win, AI's dunks just weren't as impressive after the off the back of the backboard dunk. He peaked too soon.

SouthernFried
02-19-2006, 02:15 AM
I just watched the 1976 ABA Slam dunk competition. With Artis, Gervin, Kenon, and Dr J.

How things have changed.

Despot
02-19-2006, 02:41 AM
Brent Barry did it better than the lot of them (and without even taking his warmups off). Well, at least he was closest to actually jumping from behind the freethrow line if I remember correctly.

And I thought Nate deserved to win, AI's dunks just weren't as impressive after the off the back of the backboard dunk. He peaked too soon.

While that is a great feat, I can't wait for someone to actually do it from behind the free throw line. Did Dr. J. do it??

ZStomp
02-19-2006, 03:35 AM
Who???