PDA

View Full Version : Gun for Home Defense

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-18-2006, 11:29 PM
It's time to talk Texan. What do y'all have in your homes for home defense if a bad guy breaks in?

Due to 40,000 folks relocating to Big D, our crime rates are up in the last couple of months, and the neighborhood I'm in has had some breakins recently, including 3 folks held up at knife point in their homes.

So it's time for AHF to purchase a little friendly persuasion of his own, and I'm looking for comments/thoughts.

I've pretty much got it narrowed to a shotgun and a .45 handgun.

Thanks for any advice.

Jekka
02-18-2006, 11:36 PM
I would imagine that a shotgun would be better for inhome defense. Unless you're related to Jack Bauer.

Shelly
02-18-2006, 11:42 PM
I have a http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v138/slwunder/100_0355.jpg who sounds like a fucking pitbull whenever someone comes to my front door. And I have the shredded curtains to prove it. However, all she'll do is sniff your crotch instead of ripping you to shreds.

Zombie
02-18-2006, 11:44 PM
If you shoot someone outside of your house, drag them inside, then call the police! :lol

AlamoSpursFan
02-18-2006, 11:56 PM
Not much of a handgun guy myself.

My arsenal includes the following:

Iver Johnson side by side .410 (it's freaking old and I haven't shot it in years, but it was my first dove gun so I'm a keepin' it!)

Remington 870 pump 12 gauge

Winchester Model 100 .308

Winchester Model 94 .30-30

All of which I have PLENTY of ammo for (except the .410 that is...I have half a box of dove & quail load from about 1983. I wonder if it's still good!), so bring it on hooligans and ATF agents! (J/k about the ATF part...heh heh)

Kori Ellis
02-19-2006, 12:01 AM
Glock 9mm.

(I don't have it now but I had it in L.A.)

zero signal
02-19-2006, 12:03 AM
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/866/lcsmith12ou7bm.jpg

Take no prisoners.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-19-2006, 12:05 AM
Remington 870 :tu

I'm actually thinking about getting both a 12 GA and a handgun. I like the idea of having some diversity, and it gives you some options as well. I'd probably put the 45 under the bed, and the shotgun in the bedroom closet.

Basically hand gun gets you to the big gun in the closet type setup. Plus the .45 would be a lot easier to take to the range for practice.

What kind of shot do you have in yours? I was thinking about bird shot for the first two shells, then a slug, then 00 shot, then two more slugs to fill out the chamber if I get a shot gun.

I live in an apartment complex so the bird shot is a lot less likely to introduce other neighbors into my problems should one arise, and having the slug as the third shot - well if I need a third shot it's time to end the situation :lol

braeden0613
02-19-2006, 12:10 AM
If you shoot someone outside of your house, drag them inside, then call the police! :lol

Amen! :lol

Vashner
02-19-2006, 12:19 AM
For the house my home defender is a former DPS issue Sig Sauer P220 .45 two tone with Crimson Trace lasergrips. It's loaded with winchester JHP's.

On the road I either carry a smaller .380 or 9mm. The 9mm also being a Sig P228 with the laser grips as well. When you sqeeze the grip a laser pointer fires up.

I recommend Sammy Miller for the CHL class. Take the class even if not getting license. Covers use of force etc.

http://home.satx.rr.com/krograth/images/ct03.jpg

IX_Equilibrium
02-19-2006, 12:19 AM
Glock 9mm

I keep it by my bed

Vashner
02-19-2006, 12:29 AM
I don't like Glock because they are hair trigger. I would not want to gunfight against one. A decocked sig will give you 7 -10 lbs of pull and still go bang for shot 1.

This is a lot better for stress situations where you have to ID the perp fast or are fighting over the gun. You can also put your finger behind the trigger. Anyway the Sig's are what homeland security is buying now DAK in 229 .40 or .357 auto.

DAK means no decock just about 5lbs each pull. It's the "hot" thing.
Kind hybrid's glock BOOM OPPS trigger with couple more lbs.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-19-2006, 12:30 AM
How much do the laser grips run Vashner?

IX, who is that girl? :wow

Kori Ellis
02-19-2006, 12:36 AM
Glock is an awesome gun. Light, no chance of jamming.

Vashner
02-19-2006, 12:37 AM
How much do the laser grips run Vashner?

Example auction (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=43810888)

Don't get me wrong so many good guns and solutions. Each person will have there own tastes. Just saying I like the sig. Bummer Jack Bauer changed to HK :(

Example gun auction (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=43845885)

baseline bum
02-19-2006, 12:40 AM
I'd go with the shotgun, just so there's nothing left of the piece of shit who tries to break into my place.

Vashner
02-19-2006, 12:42 AM
Glock is an awesome gun. Light, no chance of jamming.

Yes but, it's got a high history of AD's. I would call it an advanced gun. Also good for duty as SAPD use Glock 22 in .40 cal.

It's a great gun just saying. There was a female deputy 2 years ago that was taking off her belt and just touched the trigger boom. Her daughter watched her die. Ok her fault but still I don't trust that trigger.

Also that guy here in town that shot himself in the foot with a glock in frong of class of kids.

I got turned on to Sig's in the Air Force with the 228 M9. I spend a lot of time with a the security police squadron there.

EDIT: Oh btw there is a ultra rare thing called KABOOM (backfire) that happens with glock. Sig at most may crack the slide but glocks have blown up on people.
Ok fuck it.. I can't lie anymore.. I am anti glock. But I respect it meaning I would not want to be on the other end of one in a gunfight.
http://www.acbsystems.com/boards/thr/shoot5/glock22-kb-40-s.jpg

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-19-2006, 12:45 AM
Is it true with the laser that you can't see the actual beam, just the dot at the end?

I like the shot gun because you know it's going to put them down, and if it comes to it you can club the guy with the shotgun.

But close quarters the .45 seems like it would be better

timvp
02-19-2006, 12:46 AM
I prefer hand to hand combat.

:smokin

Vashner
02-19-2006, 12:51 AM
I prefer hand to hand combat.

:smokin

Of course everyone should know self defense. At a young age. I used to be a wannaby billy bad ass b4 the back went to shit. (some Tae Kwon Do)

Anyway gun's are NOT for everyone. But if you want to protect yourself, family and home then do it right.

That's why i'll keep saying take the class and obey the law's. Keep em away from kids.

Kori Ellis
02-19-2006, 12:56 AM
Yes but, it's got a high history of AD's. I would call it an advanced gun. Also good for duty as SAPD use Glock 22 in .40 cal.

It's a great gun just saying. There was a female deputy 2 years ago that was taking off her belt and just touched the trigger boom. Her daughter watched her die. Ok her fault but still I don't trust that trigger.

Also that guy here in town that shot himself in the foot with a glock in frong of class of kids.

I got turned on to Sig's in the Air Force with the 228 M9. I spend a lot of time with a the security police squadron there.

EDIT: Oh btw there is a ultra rare thing called KABOOM (backfire) that happens with glock. Sig at most may crack the slide but glocks have blown up on people.
Ok fuck it.. I can't lie anymore.. I am anti glock. But I respect it meaning I would not want to be on the other end of one in a gunfight.

I've known how to shoot a gun since I was 7. And my family is mostly cops. And it's definitely the gun that they recommended when I was living alone in L.A.

My sister has one of her own too (she's the mother of two small kids). With all guns, you have to be careful.

I don't have a gun here in Texas. I don't feel any need for it. It's a huge difference living in the suburbs of San Antonio with my husband compared to living in the heart of Los Angeles alone.

Vashner
02-19-2006, 12:56 AM
Is it true with the laser that you can't see the actual beam, just the dot at the end?

I like the shot gun because you know it's going to put them down, and if it comes to it you can club the guy with the shotgun.

But close quarters the .45 seems like it would be better

You can see the beam at night if it's humid or smokey. There are a lot of tactical uses for it. But it won't always come into play it's just an extra.

As far as the shotgun. It will always win IF you hit tgt and can draw.

Also if you hear shit going on outside and it's the cops.. again walking out with a SG might get you shot vs a pistol in a bag like I do.

Also can have it in a holster with belt clip. Don't do Mexican (shove it in pants).. Mexican carry sucks.

Shotguns still rock.

I read a story about a shooting at Baghdad airport. They spotted a 2 guys crawling on belly up the drainage ditch. The guy calls a nearby officer over, a Army capt and tells him about the infiltrators. Want me to get the .50 on em?

No.. the capt get's his trust Winchester pump 12 guage... walks over to the ditch and wastes the 2 guys with 1 shot each. One guy had and AK the other guy had an RPG lol. Ok getting off topic from home defense just saying neat SG story.

E20
02-19-2006, 12:58 AM
My good ol' AK never fails me or my M60. :tu

Vashner
02-19-2006, 01:05 AM
Yea that's cool Kori I understand. But since your comfortable shooting one you should have one locked in a safe at least. You never know...

My father being shot in that robbery (I posted about that b4 it's long story) and my grandmother was shot by a sniper in the 60's here in town while driving.

So it's like shit happens lol.. at least in my familiy. I also have been shot at and crapped my pants but the dude missed (he emptied a whole magazine of 9mm at me and missed).

There have been cases in San Antonio where people have kicked door and attacked people at home. It's somewhat random too. Maybe you can call 911. Maybe not... I don't want to risk it. I'll get the gun THEN call 911.

Friggin murphy and his law sucks lol.

Ok enough guns Im gonna go play battlefield 2... hey wait a min that a gun game :)

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-19-2006, 01:14 AM
I hadn't really thought about it until recently but we had a person at our complex get a knife pulled on them a couple of weeks ago, and one of my buds lives in the complex next to me (both gated) and they had someone held up at knife point after some asshole threw a cynder block through their sliding glass door window.

Some of the threat is mitigated by me living on the second floor (they'd need a ladder to get to my patio or my bedroom window), but ya never know.

And when the shit hits the fan, that's not the time to be thinking 'shoulda bought a gun'.

Plus, I'm not sure how anyone living in a major metropolitan area could watch what happened in NO and not realize having a weapon is a good idea. Of course here in Dallas it's more likely to be a bad tornado or a terrorist attack, but still - better to be prepared.

disruptivehair
02-19-2006, 03:49 AM
It's time to talk Texan. What do y'all have in your homes for home defense if a bad guy breaks in?

Due to 40,000 folks relocating to Big D, our crime rates are up in the last couple of months, and the neighborhood I'm in has had some breakins recently, including 3 folks held up at knife point in their homes.

So it's time for AHF to purchase a little friendly persuasion of his own, and I'm looking for comments/thoughts.

I've pretty much got it narrowed to a shotgun and a .45 handgun.

Thanks for any advice.

The whole time I lived in Dallas, I had nothing. In Austin, nothing. Nothing ever happened either. The only time someone has broken into my house is when I've lived in the UK with its allegedly lower property crime rates. :drunk

Vashner
02-19-2006, 03:56 AM
Kahr makes a fine handgun too. MK9 .. friggin sweet that's on my shopping list for maybe 5 years down the road (it's expensive for it's size).

Like this http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=44064282

Jekka
02-19-2006, 03:58 AM
I always contemplate getting one, but I'm always leary of it too. After that shit went down with the guys breaking into the apartment above Jess', I seriously contemplated buying one, but now that we have our own four walls and live in a better neighborhood, I feel more secure.

-Manny

Samr
02-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Get both. I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.

For the shotgun, MAKE SURE you get a pump. Everyone knows the sound of a shotgun pumping. Your intruder will as well. Then as far as the rounds go, I would alternate )) buck and slugs. If the guy is intent on killing you, you don't want to be throwing birdshot at him, you want him down INSTANTLY. Hell, our world would be less one lawyer if it wasn't for the inadequacy of birdshot. :lol

Marklar MM
02-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Screw that shit...get a Desert Eagle. Them bad guys will know who wears the pants in that situation.

Summers
02-19-2006, 11:28 AM
We got rid of our rifle when we moved into married student housing eons ago, because it's a felony to have firearms on campus property and we didn't want to risk getting caught. It's just as well--I'm a terrible shot. We haven't bought another one, but we do have a bad-ass looking "entrenching tool", which is basically an Army-issue short-handle shovel with a serrated edge and handle that can't be pulled out of your grip. Jim has shown me the basic disembowel maneuver. He said if all else fails, just shove the pointy part into their head. :lol Ew!

IX_Equilibrium
02-19-2006, 12:28 PM

Veronica Zemanova

MaNuMaNiAc
02-19-2006, 04:26 PM
How about an M16?

http://www.airsoftplayers.com/m16mag/m16-xm.jpg

you know you can never be too careful these days... http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

hussker
02-19-2006, 04:51 PM
http://www.filbrun.com/pictures/peg2.jpg

CORN HUSKING PEG...

oh, and a 9mm

spurs=bling
02-19-2006, 04:52 PM
How about an M16?

http://www.airsoftplayers.com/m16mag/m16-xm.jpg

you know you can never be too careful these days... http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

you planning on going to war??

GoldToe
02-19-2006, 05:01 PM
http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v153/sashi_net/knife_fist.jpg

No guns in my house.

Marklar MM
02-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Personally, I would take an MP5SD.

http://www.hkdefense.us/pages/military-le/mil-leimages/mp5sdmain.jpg

You would be the pimp on the block.

Shelly
02-19-2006, 05:30 PM
http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v153/sashi_net/knife_fist.jpg

No guns in my house.

Where are your socks?

MannyIsGod
02-19-2006, 06:28 PM
We got rid of our rifle when we moved into married student housing eons ago, because it's a felony to have firearms on campus property and we didn't want to risk getting caught. It's just as well--I'm a terrible shot. We haven't bought another one, but we do have a bad-ass looking "entrenching tool", which is basically an Army-issue short-handle shovel with a serrated edge and handle that can't be pulled out of your grip. Jim has shown me the basic disembowel maneuver. He said if all else fails, just shove the pointy part into their head. :lol Ew!I would never use a rifle for home defense. You're liable to shoot you're neighbors right through walls.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-19-2006, 06:37 PM
I would only want to have a Tech Nine or an Uzi. Master P would approve :tu

Samr
02-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Actually, the best way to defend your house is to stick an NRA sticker on your mailbox. While burglars are stupid, they are not suicidal.

The sone
02-19-2006, 06:48 PM
stick with old reliable...never fails!

http://hisgloryringministries.com/images/0204slingshot.jpg

SequSpur
02-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Has San Antonio seen any increase in crime since Katrina?

Zstomp?

Mixability
02-20-2006, 12:34 PM
My good ol' AK never fails me or my M60. :tu

:rolleyes

JoeChalupa
02-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Those home invasions make me think about buying a gun but then I go against it because of my kids. But I do have one of these beside my bed in case I need to go mano a mano with some fool.

http://www.uscav.com/prodInfo/images/8097.jpg

FRITO BANDITO
02-20-2006, 01:45 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e205/largelatino/Toygun.jpg

you can never go wrong...

Nbadan
02-20-2006, 05:23 PM
A handgun is best for single females and families, because they can and should be kept in a secure safe. A shotgun is good for others because you can cock it, and it has such a distinctive sound, there's no mistaking a shotgun cock - intimidating (alot of times that enough to get you out of a jam). Plus, the shot splatters, unlike uzi, AK47, and M16 shots, ect...that travel for long distances. (Wouldn't want to shoot the sleeping neighbors).

Vashner
02-20-2006, 05:55 PM
I would never use a rifle for home defense. You're liable to shoot you're neighbors right through walls.

Correct.. in addition you can beep up your ears without plugs or muffs.

Vashner
02-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Actually, the best way to defend your house is to stick an NRA sticker on your mailbox. While burglars are stupid, they are not suicidal.
Wrong err... In this city? That will get your house robbed to steal your guns.

hussker
02-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Wrong err... In this city? That will get your house robbed to steal your guns.

Yeah! I lost 3 shotguns, 2 rifles and a pistol on the NW side in 88! The bastards even took time to eat food from my fridge. Theiving must be some HARD ASS WORK!

zero signal
02-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Yeah! I lost 3 shotguns, 2 rifles and a pistol on the NW side in 88! The bastards even took time to eat food from my fridge. Theiving must be some HARD ASS WORK!
:lmao

Sorry about your guns but it's funny the way you told it http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-20-2006, 07:50 PM
What about the reverb if a shotgun indoors? Hearing damage?

Vashner
02-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Shotgun round is not compressed like a .223 or 30-06 type or rifle round.

Well it's the way the cartridge is made and the goose neck. Makes the bullet go faster than sound. Hence the "crack" you year from rifles.

Just take this guy's class. He's the best in town. Sammy friggin rocks..
CHL class (http://www.concealedhandgun.com/instructor.htm)

Edit: Oh btw you can't carry shotgun in glove box. That new law let's you pack in glove box (if your record is clean) without a CHL license.

This is good for travelers. You can also keep it in your hotel room or guest home from glovebox or even a private business that allowed it. So it's a transportation law too.

Before you had to be going to range or gunstore to have it in car without license.

Jimcs50
02-21-2006, 01:15 PM

That will not work....do you not watch CSI???

blood splatter would be in the place where the perp was shot....just wait til they come in, then shoot them.

ZStomp
02-21-2006, 02:04 PM
I have a Glock 40 and a S&W 9mm. :tu

ZStomp
02-21-2006, 02:04 PM
That will not work....do you not watch CSI???

blood splatter would be in the place where the perp was shot....just wait til they come in, then shoot them.

Jim Knows his stuff!

Notorious H.O.P.
02-21-2006, 02:05 PM
H&K 9mm.

Good stopping power and also lets you pack more rounds into your clip. The sheer power of the .45 is great but I'd rather pack a few more shots. Could be important if you get involved in a gun fight. It would also be a little easier to keep level if you had to fire multiple shots in succession.

The sound of a shotgun cocking is pretty distinct and intimidating but pulling back on the slide of a handgun is pretty distinctive also.

tlongII
02-21-2006, 02:22 PM
I have never shot a gun.

Useruser666
02-21-2006, 04:49 PM
A 12 gauge pump with 00 buck shot is the best defensive weapon. Get a short barrel and a trigger lock. 00 buck has the best stopping power and won't travel as far through walls as other types of rounds. It can make the "shotgun sound" and can be used as a club in a pinch. Take the magazine plug out and it can hold 5 rounds, more on some models. Pump shotguns are pretty cheap and dont require the waiting period of handguns nor the background check.

BigZak
02-21-2006, 05:53 PM
all you need is a book.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0310205719.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Vashner
02-21-2006, 08:07 PM
http://www.movieactors.com/photos-misc/deathwish3.jpeg lol....

scott
02-22-2006, 11:05 PM
kalashnikov

ElMuerto
02-22-2006, 11:07 PM
When your number is up ain't no gun gonna matter.

Vashner
02-23-2006, 12:01 AM
When your number is up ain't no gun gonna matter.

That statement does not match the facts. Unless your a sheep. I am a wolf not a sheep.

spurs=bling
02-23-2006, 12:11 AM
all you need is a book.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0310205719.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
:lol

i've read that book.

ElMuerto
02-23-2006, 12:18 AM
That statement does not match the facts. Unless your a sheep. I am a wolf not a sheep.

I see.

http://www.uma.edu/art/Wolf/Images/wolf1m.jpg