PDA

View Full Version : Any Athletes Come From Your High School?

snowboarder
02-18-2006, 11:59 PM
My HS - James Logan - Union City, CA

Nate Robinson - NY Knicks
Roy Williams - Dallas Cowboys
Kelli White - Olympic Track Runner (steroid user)
Ryan Ting - USC Trojan
Brandon Ting - USC Trojan

JMarkJohns
02-19-2006, 12:20 AM
Benjie Molina and Nate "Tiny" Archibald went to the same junior college as I went to.

So did Rafael Araujo, but you did say athlete :rollin

Sorry Hoffa... Love ya, but it's true. :(

E20
02-19-2006, 12:44 AM
Chris Walsh - QB for Vikings

Zombie
02-19-2006, 12:58 AM
Not an Athlete but the boy from E.T. Came from my High School! :drunk

Summers
02-19-2006, 01:00 AM
Nobody interesting has ever come from my town! :lol

Pistons < Spurs
02-19-2006, 01:03 AM
from my highschool:

Brian Schottenheimer---played some college QB, and is now the offensive coordiantor for the NY Jets

Justin Swift-Tight End played for a hot minute w/ the 49'rs

spurs=bling
02-19-2006, 01:04 AM
does matthew mcconaughey count?

Vashner
02-19-2006, 01:06 AM
Cash Brothers.. (Holmes HS)

midgetonadonkey
02-19-2006, 01:17 AM
http://www.tasteofthenfl.com/images/alumni/7.jpg

Ronnie Bull, as football sportscaster Pat Summerall has said, is a perfect name for a running back. That was Ronnie’s profession, first as a halfback and then as a fullback for the ten years he played professional football. A stunning collegiate career at Baylor University in Texas included such honors as MVP Southwest Conference, 1960; MVP of the Senior Bowl, 1961; All-American, 1961; and Academic All-American, 1961. He was drafted No. 1 by the Chicago Bears upon graduation and was named NFL Rookie of the Year in 1962. He played fullback and blocked for Gayle Sayers. The following year, Ronnie played a crucial role as the Bears won the World Championship in 1963.

The greatest athlete to come out of Bishop High School in Bishop, Texas.

FromWayDowntown
02-19-2006, 01:24 AM
I played football in high school with Priest Holmes and N.D. Kalu.

John Hagy, who played safety with the Buffalo Bills in the late 80's and early 90's also graduated from my high school, as did Askia Jones, who had a cup of coffe in the NBA and holds the NIT single game scoring record (I think) from his time at K-State.

Zombie
02-19-2006, 01:53 AM
Do u go to De La Salle?
Side out! :lol :drunk

snowboarder
02-19-2006, 01:54 AM
Do u go to De La Salle?

De La Salle owns every high school

De La Salle > Any other HS

midgetonadonkey
02-19-2006, 01:56 AM
This little bitch was from my high school as well. He never made it pro but he had a chance...

Cody McCarty
Position: Tight End
College: Texas Christian
Height: 6-4
Weight: 267
Hometown: Bishop, Texas

Analysis | Injury Report | Agility | High School | Personal

OVERVIEW

McCarty is an impressive athlete who was a standout prep quarterback. He moved from behind center to the defensive line for the Horned Frogs in 2001 before finding a home at tight end. His name was familiar to TCU fans — his father Mickey McCarty was a standout player at Texas Christian and influenced his son to enroll at his alma mater. Mickey was drafted in 1968 by the Kansas City Chiefs and played one season with them. He later played one season with the Chicago Fire/Detroit Wheels of the World Football League in 1974.

McCarty redshirted at Texas Christian in 2000 and bounced around from quarterback, to the defensive line and then to tight end in 2001. He saw action strictly on special teams that year. As a sophomore, he started three games at tight end, finishing with six catches for 63 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

The following season, McCarty started 11 games, hauling in 16 passes for 252 yards (15.8 yards per catch), but unfortunately, he did not find the end zone in 2003. The unheralded athlete finally received recognition for his play, earning All-Conference USA honors and an invitation to the Senior Bowl while starting seven times in 2004. He caught a career-high 17 passes for 321 yards (18.9 avg) while scoring twice. He finished his career by appearing in 47 games, including 36 on offense, with 21 starts. He snared 39 passes for 636 yards (16.3 avg) with four touchdowns and recorded three solo tackles.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Well-built athlete with long arms, big hands and decent upper-body strength … Quick off the snap and shows sudden movements getting into his routes, doing a very good job when flexing out … Makes sharp cuts while maintaining balance and control working in the short area … Effective in the flats; he has a knack for getting open, showing uncovering ability on short routes … Smooth, natural pass catcher who plucks the ball out of the air with hands properly extended … Aggressive going up for the ball, making body adjustments to track the ball while competing with a natural feel … Can accelerate after the catch … Adequate delivering down-and-reach blocks, and excels making blocks while in motion … Shows good arm swipes as he handles the edge rushers, gaining separation with his hand punch … His impressive size poses a problem for most linebackers to contain when he is blocking in space … Best when in motion; he is able to quickly turn and head upfield.

Negatives: While he is quick off the snap, he has only an average release off the ball and struggles to get untracked from the line inside the red zone … Tough going for the ball in a crowd, but lacks the second gear to escape and elude defenders after the catch … Still raw in his route running; he takes soft-angle cuts … Must do a better job of using his hands to defeat the jam and prevent defenders from rerouting him … Little stiff in his hips; he fails to bend his knees and stay low in his pads when blocking in-line … Drifts in and out of his patterns too much on deep routes.

INJURY REPORT

No injuries reported.

AGILITY

COMBINE: 4.96 seconds in 40-yard dash.

HIGH SCHOOL

Attended Bishop (Texas) High School, playing football for coach Gordon Foerster … First-team all-district 31-3A and an honorable mention all-state quarterback … Four-time all-district pick who threw for 4,964 yards and 42 touchdowns during his prep career … Passed for 1,680 and rushed for 600 yards as a senior … Threw for 1,427 and rushed for 520 yards as a junior … Three-time all-district choice in basketball and once in baseball.

PERSONAL

Criminal Justice major … Son of former Texas Christian great Mickey McCarty and Belinda Tijerina … His father influenced Cody his son to enroll at his alma mater … Mickey was drafted in 1968 by the Kansas City Chiefs and played one season with them … He later played one season with the Chicago Fire/Detroit Wheels of the World Football League in 1974 … Born Cody Ryan McCarty on Jan. 2, 1982 … Resides in Bishop, Texas.

Samr
02-19-2006, 02:06 AM
Our school doesn't produce athletes. I hate them for that.

But we did graduate General Douglas McArthur (I am not proud of this), along with Robert Frost, founder of Frost Bank, and an astronaut who is commonly referred to as "that astronaut who went here...I forgot his name." I know there's some other famous people as well, but quite frankly, I do not care enough to remember who.

My name will be added to this distinguished list in a few years.

JMarkJohns
02-19-2006, 03:27 AM
BTW, I said Junior College because I was homeschooled...

Obviously I'd be at a preporatory disadvantage!

Horry For 3!
02-19-2006, 03:34 AM
Maybe from my old school which was a 4A but not the school I graduated from which was 2A.

Horry For 3!
02-19-2006, 03:35 AM
All I know of is...

Michael Bishop

He was bad ass at KState but then didn't get to play in the pros. He was on the Patriots for a year or 2 then was released.

He would come to the school sometimes and I have seen him around when I was a soph at Willis HS. I also played football with his brother.

SequSpur
02-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Devin Brown.

chode_regulator
02-19-2006, 08:19 AM
cy young award winner doug drabek
and rodeo guy Joe Beaver
damn straight
gotta represent elpimpo. :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

Marklar MM
02-19-2006, 09:14 AM
Lloyd Carr(Lived a few blocks away before UofM job)
Bob Guiney(The Bachelor...yaya he isn't an athlete.)
Don't know who else. :(

Shelly
02-19-2006, 09:17 AM
OJ Simpson's murdered wife.

ShoogarBear
02-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Damn, the best I can think of from Roosevelt is Carlyle Holiday (ex-Notre Dame QB).

tsb2000
02-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Nobody here went to Cole? I thought Shaq went there.

Once I left SA and moved to Utah, Kevin Dyson went to HS and college at Utah as I did. You might remember him as playing for the Titans and being "one yard short" in the Super Bowl against the Rams. His brother Andre followed a few years later, playing in this year's Super Bowl for the Seahawks.

Going to a rival school, and closer to my age, was Jim McMahon, QB for the Bears way back when. :)

King
02-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Damn, the best I can think of from Roosevelt is Carlyle Holiday (ex-Notre Dame QB).

Dwayne Missouri went there, too. DE for Northwestern, and bottom of the roster player for the Cowboys for a little bit.

Of course, Holiday is still better.

Cody Carlson and Alex Van Pelt are the only 'names' from Churchill. Randy Choate (RP for the Yanks and DBacks).

FromWayDowntown
02-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Mike Coolbaugh is a Roosevelt graduate -- he's still hanging around baseball and has had a couple of cups of coffee in the majors. His brother, Scott, was a big-time player at UT and played several years in the majors, too.

Erik Flowers played with Dwayne Missouri at Roosevelt and was a 2nd round pick of the Buffalo Bills and played a couple of years for them.

SpursWoman
02-19-2006, 01:05 PM

This guy was our star quarterback when we made it deep into the playoffs in 1990 ... how the fuck he was drafted for baseball I have no idea. We didn't even know he played. :lol

Mike Coolbaugh
Michael Robert Coolbaugh

Bats Right, Throws Right
Height 6' 1", Weight 190 lb.

Debut July 16, 2001
Final Game July 7, 2002
Born June 5, 1972 in Binghamton, NY

Drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 16th round of the 1990 amateur draft. (All Transactions)

Transactions
June 4, 1990: Drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays in the 16th round of the 1990 amateur draft.

December 4, 1995: Drafted by the Texas Rangers from the Toronto Blue Jays in the 1995 rule V draft.

October 15, 1996: Granted Free Agency.

November 4, 1996: Signed as a Free Agent with the Oakland Athletics.

October 17, 1997: Granted Free Agency.

March 12, 1998: Signed as a Free Agent with the Colorado Rockies.

October 16, 1998: Granted Free Agency.

November 17, 1998: Signed as a Free Agent with the New York Yankees.

October 15, 1999: Granted Free Agency.

October 22, 1999: Signed as a Free Agent with the New York Yankees.

October 18, 2000: Granted Free Agency.

November 13, 2000: Signed as a Free Agent with the Milwaukee Brewers.

October 15, 2001: Granted Free Agency.

November 21, 2001: Signed as a Free Agent with the St. Louis Cardinals.

September 30, 2002: Granted Free Agency.

December 5, 2002: Signed as a Free Agent with the Philadelphia Phillies.

February 5, 2003: Released by the Philadelphia Phillies.

July 9, 2003: Signed as a Free Agent with the Houston Astros.

October 15, 2003: Granted Free Agency.

November 7, 2003: Signed as a Free Agent with the Houston Astros.

October 15, 2004: Granted Free Agency.

November 5, 2004: Signed as a Free Agent with the Houston Astros.

His daddy bought him a black Porsche his senior year ... he certainly liked to show that off. You think his dad and his brother:

Scott Coolbaugh

Bats Right, Throws Right
Height 5' 11", Weight 185 lb.
School University of Texas at Austin
Debut September 2, 1989
Final Game August 11, 1994
Born June 13, 1966 in Binghamton, NY

Drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 3rd round of the 1987 amateur draft. (All Transactions)

Had anything to do with his success? Well, I use the term "success" loosely. :lol

ShoogarBear
02-19-2006, 01:11 PM
I actually remember Flowers from the 1995 state championship game. Missouri probably played in that one, too.

SpursWoman
02-19-2006, 01:13 PM
He was reassigned to the minors in March 04...bummer for him. :fro

SpursWoman
02-19-2006, 01:14 PM
I actually remember Flowers from the 1995 state championship game. Missouri probably played in that one, too.

You mean Roosevelt state championship game? User was on that team. Does he count as famous? :lol

ShoogarBear
02-19-2006, 01:23 PM
You mean Roosevelt state championship game? User was on that team. No shit? That was the only Roosevelt game I've been to since I graduated 29 years ago. I just happened to be home for the holidays and my sisters told me that they were playing for the championship at Alamo Stadium (something that would be unimaginable back in the day). So a bunch of us old heads got together and made the trip. It was a little weird sitting in the stands 'cause none of us knew anybody on the field, but it was fun, and a great game.

Does he count as famous? http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif
Yes, but not for that around here. http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smismile.gif

(He wasn't one of the clowns who went to rip up the "M" banner after the game? http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif)

SpursWoman
02-19-2006, 01:33 PM
No shit?

Yes...he was the tall white guy. :lol

I remember watching highlites of the game on TV...while I was pregnant with my son with my toddler daughter running around the house. Hard to imagine at the time I'd be cradle-robbing one of those guys on TV in the tight pants.

:eyebrows :lmao

ShoogarBear
02-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Hard to imagine at the time I'd be cradle-robbing one of those guys on TV in the tight pants.
I presume that User has placed any future viewing of high school sports on the prohibited list.

RashoFan
02-19-2006, 06:39 PM
Tommy Kramer played Football at Robert E. Lee High School back in/around 1971, last time Lee was State Champs I might add. Also I went to HS with the guy that plays Eva Longoria's husband on Desparate Housewives....Ricardo Antonio Chavira

The sone
02-19-2006, 06:43 PM
<<<<<< i got athletes foot from my high school...

spurs=bling
02-19-2006, 06:46 PM
<<<<<< i got athletes foot from my high school...
:rolleyes :lol

hussker
02-19-2006, 07:00 PM
My HS, Seaside HS in Seaside CA:

1) Ron Rivera c/o 1980, - Chicago Bears Grad 2 yrs before me, his Brother John and I were DP Combo in HS.

2) Hazen Choates (You likely never heard of him) Class of 83, could throw a football 70yds flat footed. Went to Boise State on scholarship, got canned for some unknown reason, played in a Pro Football League (American style) in England. Don't know what ever happenned to him.

3) Jimmy Pettit is a stock car racer in Cali
4) Herm Edwards is FROM Seaside, but went to Monterey HS across the bay.

I am sure there are more, but I never really kept up with most of them after HS while in the Military.

SpursWoman
02-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Mike Coolbaugh is a Roosevelt graduate -- he's still hanging around baseball and has had a couple of cups of coffee in the majors. His brother, Scott, was a big-time player at UT and played several years in the majors, too.

Oh, damn...I totally had missed your post FWD... :oops

I went all 4 years with Mike at TR ... biggest. dork. ever. Regardless of being captain of the football team & quarterback. :lol

FromWayDowntown
02-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Oh, damn...I totally had missed your post FWD... :oops

I went all 4 years with Mike at TR ... biggest. dork. ever. Regardless of being captain of the football team & quarterback. :lol

I hated Mike Coolbaugh because we never could beat Roosevelt while I was in high school (sounds like we share a graduation year) and he was such a big part of the reason for that.

That is, I hated him until Ferrara tried to split his skull with a clipboard, at which point, my view softened. (That incident did create some humor -- me and my friends bought some soft board material and made "Nerf" clipboards for our coaches.)

But, since I played against him every year I was in high school, I followed his post-high school exploits. He passed up a scholarship at UT to pursue the big league dream and has hung around forever. In 2000, he was the last cut from the U.S. Olympic baseball team and missed a gold medal by that much.

I have to say, I don't know him at all, but I kind of root for the guy now.

Vashner
02-19-2006, 08:02 PM
WTF I can't find any pic's of Keith and Kerry Cash AKA "Cash brothers"..

Ya'll don't remember them?

Corky Sosa
02-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Many peoples cun frun mi segundaria. They all like play de gane. They hit de hone run and de like de B-doce shot. bye bye

hussker
02-19-2006, 08:18 PM

The Cash Twins were the shit with Wilbur Odom hitting them. As I recall, that was 86-87 timeframe? One of the guys I was stationed with at Lackland knew the family very well as he was a Holmes Grad and has a brother in the school that year. Also, they were spanked by Judson as I remember that year in the "City Championship" game.

I also worked with Mike McKenzie's mom. Mike was on that team with the Cash Twins and Odom. He went on to Baylor after graduation.

FromWayDowntown
02-19-2006, 08:18 PM

I remember them . . . . and Wilbur Odom . . . . and Mike McKenzie . . . . and Jerry Arceneaux . . . . and Johnny Walker . . . . and so on, and so forth.

ALVAREZ6
02-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Not really, but I've played against Kobe's high school and middle school.

Duff McCartney
02-19-2006, 09:11 PM
I played football in high school with Priest Holmes and N.D. Kalu.

Somebody told me that N.D. Kalu's mom was a major bitch when they met her during his football days.

Anway Bo Outlaw went to my high school...that's about as famous a person..for now.

Duff McCartney
02-19-2006, 09:11 PM
1) Ron Rivera c/o 1980, - Chicago Bears Grad 2 yrs before me, his Brother John and I were DP Combo in HS.

Double pentetration?

spurs_2108
02-19-2006, 11:04 PM
Jermane Mayberry came from Floresville. He played a while for Philly and is now with the San.... New Orleans Saints.

2centsworth
02-20-2006, 12:23 AM
The Cash Twins were the shit with Wilbur Odom hitting them. As I recall, that was 86-87 timeframe? One of the guys I was stationed with at Lackland knew the family very well as he was a Holmes Grad and has a brother in the school that year. Also, they were spanked by Judson as I remember that year in the "City Championship" game.

I also worked with Mike McKenzie's mom. Mike was on that team with the Cash Twins and Odom. He went on to Baylor after graduation.Johnny Walker was the best player on that team. From what I remember he was the top rated WR in the country.

as far as my school,

Tommy Kramer, Bruce Collie, Richard Osbourne. I remember this one guy Pete Ortiz who was an absolute badass. Wonder what happened to that guy?

usckk
02-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Guys that came out of our area in TN:

Jason Witten (Pro Bowl tight end for Dallas Cowboys)
Steve Spurrier
Gerald Sensabaugh (starting safety for Jaguars)

midgetonadonkey
02-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Jermane Mayberry came from Floresville. He played a while for Philly and is now with the San.... New Orleans Saints.

He went to A&M Kingsville. I met the dude a few times at a couple of parties. Nice fucking dude.

Carie
02-20-2006, 10:21 AM
The only athlete I can think of is Scott Linebrink. Next door neighbor and graduated a few years after me. Nice kid. He's a pitcher for the San Diego Padres.

Also Rick Trevino graduated a couple of years before me. His middle school band was name True Illusion. We sure thought they were the shit.

KEDA
02-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Smithson Valley was the high school of Cincinnati Reds catcher Jason LaRue

his twin brother Shawn is floating around the minors somewhere.

Also Texas A&M offensive lineman Cory Clark, he should be NFL materiel. I used to party with his brother, and remember picking on him when he was "little".

ShoogarBear
02-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Well, if we're pimping other HS's:

-KC Royals shortstop Freddie Patek went to Seguin.
-Mets catcher Jerry Grote graduated from MacArthur in 1961 (he even has a myspace page! http://www.myspace.com/jerrygrote)
-Ex-Oriole/Met Davy Johnson went to Trinity (I think) and also HS in SA
-Ex-Rockhead Robert Reid went to Samuel Clemens

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Dwayne Missouri went there, too. DE for Northwestern, and bottom of the roster player for the Cowboys for a little bit.

Of course, Holiday is still better.

Cody Carlson and Alex Van Pelt are the only 'names' from Churchill. Randy Choate (RP for the Yanks and DBacks).

Olympic swimmer Josh Davis also went to Churchill

And Gilbert Harris who played College ftball for Arizona is expected to go deep in this years NFL draft

Darrin
02-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Kirk Gibson - Kettering HS, MI.

SpursWoman
02-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Well, if we're pimping other HS's:

And Jeff Foster (of the Pacers) went to Madison :fro

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Tommy McDonald (NFL Hall of Fame receiver) went to my high school.

There have been a few others break through to the pros in various sports, and I can't even count how many D-1 athletes through the years.

NZHayden
02-20-2006, 04:49 PM
um not that you guys will know them :
norman berryman - played 1 game for the new zealand all blacks (rugby) in 1998
norman maxwell - played a couple of seasons for the new zealand all blacks (rugby) 1999 - 2004
pero cameron - captain of the new zealand tall blacks (basketball), only non nba player named in the all star five after the FIBA world champs in indy

Buddy Holly
02-20-2006, 06:04 PM
A baseball player/football player that was drafted by the MLB Brewers.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Brandon Larson was from Holmes.

I think he's still in the Reds organization, last I read, I think he was at AAA.

Sonia_TX
02-20-2006, 06:21 PM

I remember them. My dad graduated from Holmes (he wanted us to go there too) so my sister and I were always going to HHS Football games. Fun times!

Kyle Rote - He played for the NY Giants.

Tommy Nobis - Atlanta Falcons

BigZak
02-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Tommy Kramer played Football at Robert E. Lee High School back in/around 1971, last time Lee was State Champs I might add. Also I went to HS with the guy that plays Eva Longoria's husband on Desparate Housewives....Ricardo Antonio Chavira

as far as my school,

Tommy Kramer, Bruce Collie, Richard Osbourne. I remember this one guy Pete Ortiz who was an absolute badass.

ditto for Lee H.S. :tu

He went to A&M Kingsville. I met the dude a few times at a couple of parties. Nice fucking dude.

go Javs. you went to Kingsville too huh?
:smokin