PDA

View Full Version : Rule changes would eliminate 'fake timeout' tactic

Kori Ellis
02-19-2006, 01:17 AM
Notebook: Rule changes would eliminate 'fake timeout' tactic

Web Posted: 02/19/2006 12:00 AM CST
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

HOUSTON — The NBA's competition committee has proposed two rule changes, to be implemented next season, and both will be evident to fans.

One of them would eliminate a tactic the Spurs have used a couple of times.

Coaches, in addition to players on the court, would be allowed to call timeouts.

The Spurs have used a "fake timeout" on occasion to get an easy basket. Once this season, against the Bulls, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich signaled for a timeout on the sidelines, before Tony Parker sprinted to the basket for a layin while his defender eased up after seeing Popovich calling for the timeout.

The other change will award two free throws, plus possession of the ball after the shots, to a player fouled on a breakaway to the basket.

Jangly nerves in Seattle: Commissioner David Stern said he is monitoring the arena situation in Seattle, where SuperSonics owner Howard Schultz has threatened to move his team if local government does not agree to subsidize modernization of Key Arena. Stern said he will be visiting Seattle soon to investigate further.

"I'm quite on record as saying that Seattle has what is the least competitive lease in the league, which is a decided economic disadvantage," Stern said.

It would be up to the Board of Governors to approve a move by the Sonics.

Big Easy All-Star Game: Stern expects to have an agreement in place within a few weeks for New Orleans to host the 2008 All-Star Game at the Louisiana Superdome, part of the league's continued commitment to a return to the city after the damage inflicted by Hurricane Katrina.

The 2007 All-Star Game will be played in Las Vegas. The league some weeks ago agreed to enter into exclusive negotiations with New Orleans to host the 2008 game. Stern said a formal agreement is likely to be hammered out soon.

European camps finalized: Plans have been finalized for the Spurs and three other teams to conduct training camp before the 2006-07 season in Europe. Preliminary plans already had been leaked to the media, but the league held a news conference Saturday to make the formal announcement.

The Spurs' camp is scheduled to be in Lyons, France, and they are set to play one exhibition game in Paris.

The Clippers are scheduled to have camp in Moscow and play an exhibition game there, as well. The Suns are set to have camp in Treviso, Italy, and play an exhibition game in Rome. The 76ers are scheduled to have camp in Barcelona, Spain.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021906.13C.allstar_notebook.2ea489a.html

E20
02-19-2006, 01:18 AM
As long as the ref doesn't see the signal the game is still on...............

spurs=bling
02-19-2006, 01:21 AM
rules,rules,rules............

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-19-2006, 01:21 AM
I bet if the Lakers were the ones doing the fake timeout thing the league wouldn't have a problem with it.

Kori Ellis
02-19-2006, 05:21 AM
NBA committee endorses five rules changes

NBA committee votes to change 'clear path' rule
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2334673

The NBA's competition committee approved five small rules changes that will take effect in the 2006-07 season if approved by the league's Board of Governors, ESPN.com learned Friday.

The most notable change would be to the so-called "clear path rule," covering situations in which a player is intentionally fouled to prevent a breakaway. The team being fouled would get two shots and the ball under the proposed change. Currently, the penalty is one shot and the ball.

The other changes approved by the league's competition committee, made up of one representative from each of the 30 teams, are as follows:

• When a player on the receiving end of a punching, elbowing or flagrant category two foul is unable to attempt his foul shots, one of the four teammates who were on the court when the foul happened would be able to take the free throws in his place. Under current rules, the team that committed the foul can choose any player on the opposing team -- even someone on the bench -- to shoot the free throws.

• Players who are not lined up along the lane would be prohibited from standing anywhere beneath the foul line extended when free throws are being shot. This would end the practice of a player dashing in from the corner to try to tip in a missed free throw.

• In an effort to improve the flow of the game, referees would be permitted to let play continue when a defending team gained possession of the ball a split-second after the shot clock expires. Under current rules, if the buzzer sounds when a shot is in mid-air and the ball misses the rim, the referees are required to stop play and award the ball out of bounds on the sideline.

• Unlimited substitutions would be allowed during all 20-second timeouts. Currently, they are allowed only during the final two minutes of each half.

The Board of Governors will vote on the proposed changes in April.

The "clear path" rule would be tweaked because statistics showed teams are averaging less than 2 points when clear path fouls are called.

"The original idea behind the clear path foul was we didn't want them to occur. But now, when they do occur, the offended team is not getting the yield point-wise that they should be," NBA vice president Stu Jackson told ESPN.com.

The committee turned down a proposal to move the markings along the foul lane, would would have allowed the non-shooting team's players to line up a few inches closer to the shooter when free throws were about to be attempted.

"We're going to continue to evaluate that one. There's a feeling that maybe it's getting more difficult to secure a rebound as the non-shooting team on a missed free throw, with buys getting pushed under [the basket]," Jackson said. "We didn't pass that one, but we're looking at it."

Marklar MM
02-19-2006, 09:34 AM
That rule for lining up on the lane...cheesy. Now Delfino can't run in from the corner and pull out a 1 or 2 hand jam.

ShoogarBear
02-19-2006, 11:19 AM
That rule for lining up on the lane...cheesy. Now Delfino can't run in from the corner and pull out a 1 or 2 hand jam.
Yeah, I don't know why they want that play stopped.

Allowing coaches to call time outs would just complicate things. Ignore the fake timeout part of it. What if the ball is down at one end and the coach is at the other trying to get a time out but the refs don't see it?

exstatic
02-19-2006, 11:46 AM

Must be an Argentina thing because Manu does it a lot, too. I don't understand this rule if they are trying to increase scoring opportunites. If you don't want that player to charge the hoop, FACEGUARD HIM. Duh.

As for the time out thing, Pop will just have to come up with a signal different from the traditional TO signal. The other teams will pick it up and the fake can still work. I don't like the rule, though. It seems to reward teams that don't play alert basketball up to the whistle.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Players who are not lined up along the lane would be prohibited from standing anywhere beneath the foul line extended when free throws are being shot. This would end the practice of a player dashing in from the corner to try to tip in a missed free throw.

That's fucking weak. Stern blows.

Winnipeg_Spur
02-19-2006, 04:27 PM
• In an effort to improve the flow of the game, referees would be permitted to let play continue when a defending team gained possession of the ball a split-second after the shot clock expires. Under current rules, if the buzzer sounds when a shot is in mid-air and the ball misses the rim, the referees are required to stop play and award the ball out of bounds on the sideline.
I don't like this rule, it seems way too vague to me. I could see situations at the end of games where it could end up hurting the defending team.

adidas11
02-19-2006, 08:31 PM
I bet if the Lakers were the ones doing the fake timeout thing the league wouldn't have a problem with it.

:lol

Brutalis
02-19-2006, 11:46 PM
they have to make rules for stupid people.

what about the rule you learn as a kid, 'dont stop til you hear a whistle...."

Dre_7
02-20-2006, 05:56 AM
I don't like this rule, it seems way too vague to me. I could see situations at the end of games where it could end up hurting the defending team.

I actually like that rule. There have been times when a team airballed and the defending team had the rebound and were in position to have a fast break, but had to stop because the 24 second clock had expired.

Tom_Foolery
02-20-2006, 07:23 AM
I think it's retarded.

Personally, I think it's classic.

Like the "FAKE SPIKE" Marino beat the Jets with. Those are just incredible memories.

I think it's a bit overboard.