PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs' Parker merges into fast lane

Kori Ellis
02-19-2006, 03:51 AM
Spurs' Parker merges into fast lane

Web Posted: 02/19/2006 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021906.01A.parker_feature.3710710.html

With one step onto the court at Houston's Toyota Center tonight, Tony Parker will complete his transformation from French teenager to NBA All-Star.

A little more than four years after taking over as the Spurs' starting point guard, Parker will take his place among the league's elite players. His endorsement potential will grow. Talk shows will court him. There will be magazine photo shoots. Hollywood parties.

His life, at the tender age of 23, will become one endless stroll down the red carpet, filled with hip-hop artists, A-list actresses. ...

Oh ... never mind. That was last month.

Parker arrived in Houston this weekend enjoying the finest season of his five-year NBA career. With Tim Duncan hobbled by a sore right foot, Manu Ginobili in and out of the lineup and many of the Spurs' reserves enduring their own struggles, he has provided some much-needed consistency for a team contending for its fourth championship in eight seasons and Parker's third in four seasons.

Parker's scoring average of 19.4 points is nearly three points better than he averaged last season. His .544 field-goal percentage, which ranks second in the league, is further evidence of how much he has dominated opposing teams with his quickness.

"Tony Parker," Minnesota coach Dwane Casey said after watching Parker dribble around his team last month, "is probably one of the fastest human beings in the world."

More than a few other people share that opinion, especially those who have watched Parker dart between his professional and personal endeavors.

In the past month alone, Parker has flown to Chicago to appear on "Oprah" with his girlfriend, actress Eva Longoria; chartered a jet to Los Angeles to surprise Longoria at the Screen Actors Guild Awards; received his first Western Conference's Player of the Week honor; written three rap songs in celebration of his All-Star selection, which he performed with hip-hop artist Fabolous as part of the "Tony Parker International All-Star Weekend" and, finally, teamed with former Spurs guard Steve Kerr and Silver Stars forward Kendra Wecker to win a shooting contest against other All-Stars.

In short, Parker has become the Anti-Tim. While Duncan likes to spend the evening at home with his wife, newborn daughter and a video-game console — and Ginobili neither shuns nor seeks the spotlight — Parker has embraced his celebrity status.

"It's been an unbelievable ride," Parker said. "I don't know how it happened so fast."

Celebrity life

The spike in Parker's fame has much to do with his relationship with Longoria, whose celebrity dwarfs his own, at least on this side of the Atlantic Ocean.

"Here, I'm Eva's boyfriend," Parker said. "In France, she's Tony Parker's girlfriend."

Parker met Longoria early last season when she visited the Spurs' locker room after the game. At the time, he'd heard of neither her nor her hit TV show, "Desperate Housewives."

"Now," Parker said, "she makes me watch it."

Although most people around the team knew the two were dating, their relationship didn't go public for nearly a month and only after TNT cameras caught Parker's mother schmoozing with Longoria during a game.

The pairing of one of People magazine's "50 Most Beautiful People" with a Desperate Housewife made for good business for the tabloid industry.

Spurs public relations officials soon began fielding calls from Inside Edition, Access Hollywood, Entertainment Tonight and Us Weekly.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich became concerned the relationship would prove to be too much of a distraction. Parker's sizable entourage, which he has dubbed the "French Mafia," already included his two younger brothers, a half-dozen friends, a visiting reporter, the occasional European rapper and Phoenix Suns forward Boris Diaw. Adding a TV star to the mix, Popovich figured, wasn't going to help.

"He didn't like it all," Parker said.

"He told me San Antonio is not Hollywood. He said it was going to mess with my head."

Parker told Popovich basketball remained his priority. Then he proved it. He arrived early for practice and stayed late. His play, if anything, began to improve.

Before long, Longoria was flying on the team's charter jet, a practice Popovich long has allowed for the wives and girlfriends of players.

This season, Longoria rarely has missed any of the Spurs' weekend games. Her presence, while creating a stir in some cities, hasn't been a problem for the team.

"Tony hasn't changed a bit in the sense that he's just part of a whole, part of a team," Popovich said. "He's been a wonderful example of a young person being able to handle some fame."

Along the way, Parker has made the occasional faux pas. He strolled into the SBC Center for the first game of the playoffs last season clad in sunglasses and a 2003 Spurs championship T-shirt, with Longoria on his arm.

After the Spurs lost that day, former NBA star and current TNT analyst "Sir" Charles Barkley criticized Parker for not being focused.

Last summer, Parker made headlines in France when he was quoted as saying the International Olympic Committee chose London over Paris because "they prefer the English."

Parker said his comments were taken out of context and apologized for the misunderstanding.

Early this season, Spurs officials picked up a local weekly newspaper to find Parker pictured in an ad for a gentlemen's club promoting the release party for his rap video. Needless to say, it wasn't the type of community-relations event the team likes to sponsor.

After the Spurs beat Toronto on Dec. 23, Parker was cited for impeding traffic on Houston Street and failing to produce a valid Texas driver's license.

A San Antonio police officer accused Longoria of verbally abusing him during the incident and telling Parker, "He's just a Mexican bike cop. He only wants your autograph."

Longoria denied making the comment and Parker said they only were waiting to valet park his car before going into a club. Still, he considered the incident a lesson about the price of fame. The story was featured nationally on tabloid shows and stripped across the top of this newspaper.

"I learned we have to be more intelligent and more aware of what can happen when you're a celebrity," Parker said. "Not everybody is going to like you. Sometimes you're going to run into a knucklehead."

Spurs officials, along with Parker's family and friends, worried his schedule had grown too hectic last summer.

After winning his second title with the Spurs, Parker flew to Singapore to help support Paris' Olympic bid, visited China as part of the NBA's Basketball Without Borders program and joined France's national team to train for the European Championships.

"There was just too much," said Marc Fleisher, Parker's agent. "I think it wore him out both physically and mentally."

Parker struggled in the early rounds of the tournament before finding enough energy to help France win the bronze medal. He spent the rest of the summer resting and working with new Spurs assistant coach Chip Engelland, one of the sport's leading shot doctors.

Engelland, Parker said, told him the team was concerned about his annual playoff struggles. It was up to him to show he could still improve.

Parker, who was also motivated by his omission from last season's All-Star team, did just that. While the Spurs are anxious to see how he handles the pressure of the postseason, his teammates already are impressed.

"You can't be jet-setting like he has this year and continue to have the kind of success he's had without having perspective on everything," Brent Barry said. "Now if Beno (Udrih) starts dating Ashlee Simpson, it might be time to get a little worried." :lmao

Duncan, for one, is proud of how Parker has balanced his not-so-private life.

"I think he's happy," Duncan said. "And when you're happy, you play good basketball."

Popovich believes the same. Which is why he allowed Parker to shoot a video for his upcoming rap album with Duncan and a handful of other teammates only two days before the start of the season. And why his own son, Micky, has worked with Parker on his music.

It's also why Popovich granted permission for Parker to attend the SAG Awards the day before the Spurs played in Utah. In return, Parker promised he would play well against the Jazz, which he did. Had Parker struggled, Popovich admitted he would have nixed any future excursions.

"Players need to know you care about them more than scoring points and getting rebounds," Popovich said.

"If they feel like an organization really does care about their personal lives, I think they feel better about being part of the organization for a long time and giving everything they can."

Like a dream

Parker will make his All-Star debut tonight, provided he's still standing.
After watching Longoria coach in the NBA's celebrity game, Parker didn't take the stage for his rap show until nearly 2 a.m. Saturday. He will get a little rest after tonight's game — "It helps that I sleep well on planes," he said — then join the Spurs at practice Monday afternoon.

The Spurs are in the hunt for another championship. Parker is almost finished producing his rap single "Top of the Game" and nearly a dozen other tracks for an album to be released in September.

He insists he's not close to getting married — "Sorry to disappoint you" — although Longoria is helping plan the new house he already had begun to design.

"I think I'm like in my own little dream," Parker said, "and I'm not going to wake up."

ducks
02-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich became concerned the relationship would prove to be too much of a distraction. Parker's sizable entourage, which he has dubbed the "French Mafia," already included his two younger brothers, a half-dozen friends, a visiting reporter, the occasional European rapper and Phoenix Suns forward Boris Diaw. Adding a TV star to the mix, Popovich figured, wasn't going to help.

"He didn't like it all," Parker said.

"He told me San Antonio is not Hollywood. He said it was going to mess with my head."

Parker told Popovich basketball remained his priority. Then he proved it. He arrived early for practice and stayed late. His play, if anything, began to improve.

spurs are control freaks
like pop has any business who tony is dating

angel_luv
02-19-2006, 10:36 AM
"Players need to know you care about them more than scoring points and getting rebounds," Popovich said.

"If they feel like an organization really does care about their personal lives, I think they feel better about being part of the organization for a long time and giving everything they can."

That is one of the many reasons I both respect and like Coach Pop.

P.S. I think Ludden was wrong to detail Tony's "faux pas." What was he hoping to accomplish?

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-19-2006, 12:38 PM
I think he's happy," Duncan said. "And when you're happy, you play good basketball."

Damn straight, if I was tapping Eva Longoria's ass I'd be shooting 85%.... from midcourt. :lol

NCaliSpurs
02-19-2006, 01:24 PM
That is one of the many reasons I both respect and like Coach Pop.

P.S. I think Ludden was wrong to detail Tony's "faux pas." What was he hoping to accomplish?

I agree Angel. I get the feeling sometimes that ludden is a devout member of the Church of Manu and (as is often the case) anti-Tony.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-19-2006, 02:25 PM
I think y'all are reading way too much into a listing of his digressions.

To me it reads (if you take the whole article in context, instead of one or two paragraphs out of it) as though Ludden is showing his mistakes in contrast with the maturity and growth he is showing.

I.E., Pop letting Tony go to an event before a game (Utah), and then noting he promised to play well and followed through on that promise.

Basically contrasting the good with the bad, and showing that Tony is learning and growing.

SequSpur
02-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Exactly, Pop can go fuck himself.

What stays off the court, stays off the court.....

1Parker1
02-19-2006, 03:28 PM
:lmao That Brent Barry joke about Beno and Ashlee Simpson is classic! I think I'm going to have to put that one in my sig!

As for the article, it was pretty good. Parker IS having an unbelievable year...just like Manu has last year with the gold medal, the wedding, and the championship.

However, when it's all laid out like in the article, it makes you wonder how Parker even has time to sleep!! He seems to be doing 10 different things...hopefully he'll continue to juggle everything in his professional and personal life well.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-19-2006, 03:31 PM
This could either be the new beginning or the beginning of the end for parker

SequSpur
02-19-2006, 03:32 PM
This could either be the new beginning or the beginning of the end for parker

Why?

Because somebody else is getting pub. besides Kobe?????????

LMAO....

I think its good, shit, its about time a Spur stepped up to the media plate.

Just because Duncan would rather curl up in his shell and run and hide doesn't mean everyone else has too.

I say good for Parker........... I'm diggin it!

Cant_Be_Faded
02-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Why?

Because somebody else is getting pub. besides Kobe?????????

LMAO....

I think its good, shit, its about time a Spur stepped up to the media plate.

Just because Duncan would rather curl up in his shell and run and hide doesn't mean everyone else has too.

I say good for Parker........... I'm diggin it!

haha
yeah thats one way of looking at it
i guess im just not used to a spur being a celebrity

We should have all seen this coming when the punk made People's 50 most beautiful People....lol..

SequSpur
02-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Parker is the AntiDuncan/AntiRobinson.

You really bring up a good point though... because it's possible that Parker is going to increase his portfolio by using his image and it could cause issues with imageless Pop and Duncan and the Spurs organization.

Parker is reaching for the stars, he's outside the box, he isn't going to stop until he conquers all.

Dude might be dating Angelina Jolie in a month.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-19-2006, 03:42 PM
hopefully she bears a young parker in the process

ducks
02-19-2006, 05:25 PM
oh no a spur actually liking the spotlight
duncan and david do not

the more popular tp gets the refs will give him more calls his way

go tp go

angel_luv
02-19-2006, 05:58 PM
I think y'all are reading way too much into a listing of his digressions.

To me it reads (if you take the whole article in context, instead of one or two paragraphs out of it) as though Ludden is showing his mistakes in contrast with the maturity and growth he is showing.

I.E., Pop letting Tony go to an event before a game (Utah), and then noting he promised to play well and followed through on that promise.

Basically contrasting the good with the bad, and showing that Tony is learning and growing.

I didn't have a problem with the statement " Tony has had his faux pas", but to laundry list them out was a bit much.