PDA

View Full Version : Possible Trade Scenario

Spurs16212
02-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Who would we be able to get for Brent Barry? Right now we are needing improvement on rebounding. Drew Gooden is averaging almost 9 rebounds per game. His salary is very close to Brent's and his contract expires after this year. What are everyone's thoughts on this possibility?

exstatic
02-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Gooden is a knucklehead. There is a reason he's on his 3rd team in a 4+ year career, and that Cleveland is trying to make it 4 teams by trading him yet again.

HE PLAYS NO DEFENSE.

Vinnie_Johnson
02-19-2006, 10:49 AM
What is Barry's cap number and how many years are left on it?

Spurs16212
02-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Brent is currently at almost 4.7 Million with 2 years remaining.

Duncanoypi
02-19-2006, 11:01 AM
not a bad trade...

Spurs16212
02-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Jeff Foster from Indiana is currently at 5 Million with 3 years left on his contract. He is averaging almost 8 rebounds a game.

FromWayDowntown
02-19-2006, 11:16 AM
Brent Barry strikes me as an unattractive trade bait because he still has another year on his deal. If Brent was in the last year, I could see more realistic possibilities for dealing him.

But if I'm Indiana, why do I want to give up Jeff Foster, a serviceable defensive center, for a year and a half of Brent Barry at an inflated price? That wouldn't make much sense. If I'm Cleveland, unless I'm hellbent on getting rid of Gooden for whatever I can get, why would I want an aging wing in exchange for Gooden? And if Cleveland is just trying to jettison Gooden, why would the Spurs want to pursue him, particularly since the entire Cleveland braintrust is made up of guys (Danny Ferry mostly) who have Spurs roots and are trying to build a team like San Antonio? Guys who can't play in Ferry's scheme are going to be great fits in San Antonio? I doubt that.

It's not as if teams are going to be falling all over themselves to help the Spurs.

Spurs16212
02-19-2006, 11:19 AM
I agree with that.

Vinnie_Johnson
02-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Next year would be the time to move him to a cap strapped team.

Spurs16212
02-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Are there any other players we could look at moving.... Maybe Nazr, his contract expires after this year but he has started to play well as of late. Just maybe we might be stuck for the time being.

texasqb2
02-19-2006, 12:32 PM
Are there any other players we could look at moving.... Maybe Nazr, his contract expires after this year but he has started to play well as of late. Just maybe we might be stuck for the time being.

Nazr is just coming off a near 20/20 game, has been by far our most efficient C and you wanna deal him?

Spurs16212
02-19-2006, 12:46 PM
That is why I stated as of late he is playing well... The only pieces we have that we may trade is Brent

Leetonidas
02-19-2006, 12:58 PM
I still say Barry for Milicic would be sweet.

exstatic
02-19-2006, 01:05 PM
I still say Barry for Milicic would be sweet.
Dude, have you been asleep? Darko has already been traded, and I doubt that Orlando would be looking to move him immediately.

T Park
02-19-2006, 03:13 PM
enough with the trade threads.

No one is going anywhere....

SequSpur
02-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Exstatic is only interested in DPOY candidates..... :lmao

Dude, Stfu already..........

I'm tired of scoring 60 fucking points against Detroit.

Peter
02-19-2006, 03:51 PM
The Spurs don't need to be trading any swings right now. Barry's not that much of a problem.

Winnipeg_Spur
02-19-2006, 04:02 PM
What about Brent Barry for Devean George? I'm not sure the Lakers would want to take on Brent Barry's salary and George is pretty terrible, but his contract is expiring so I could see the Spurs willing to do something like that. BTW, this isn't an endorsement of that deal, I personally hate George, I'm just trying to guess what the Spurs might do.

exstatic
02-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Exstatic is only interested in DPOY candidates..... :lmao

Dude, Stfu already..........

I'm tired of scoring 60 fucking points against Detroit.

I'm not running things, Pop and RC are, but the funny thing is, I seem to be in tune with their organizational model than you are, shrimp. WGAF what you score against Detroit in December? The Spurs had go go, score a lot teams in the 80s and 90s and never went far. That's the Nellie, drop your pants in the playoffs model, shortstuff.

FromWayDowntown
02-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Expiring contracts aren't terribly valuable to the Spurs, since the Spurs are going to be over the cap unless they start dealing several big contracts. Generally, the value of an expiring contract is to create cap space in the following summer, but the Spurs are far enough above the cap that they can't realistically expect to gain anything by taking on expiring contracts. The only difference dealing for expiring contracts might make is to reduce payroll below the luxury tax threshold, but that sort of dealing has brought criticism from many corners of this forum. Instead, the Spurs are on the other side of the equation in that they may be able to deal an expiring contract to get greater quality talent in what comes back. But for now, the only really useful expiring contract is Mohammed's and the possibility that he'll play a role in the second half might make the Spurs leery of dealing him.

SequSpur
02-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Every time someone discusses a trade scenario, you holla back some Defense bullshit.

Last time I checked only a few players play balls to the wall defense. According to your theory, there isn't a player out there worthy of being a Spur.

The Spurs have plenty of defense now.... Don't they lead the league again?

They need rebounding and some offense. Technically, they just need to outscore Detroit and Dallas because that is what its all about anyway.

Detroit is going to play defense, Dallas is going to score....

Somebody needs to make a fuckin shot.

hussker
02-19-2006, 04:25 PM
Every time someone discusses a trade scenario, you holla back some Defense bullshit.

Last time I checked only a few players play balls to the wall defense. According to your theory, there isn't a player out there worthy of being a Spur.

The Spurs have plenty of defense now.... Don't they lead the league again?

They need rebounding and some offense. Technically, they just need to outscore Detroit and Dallas because that is what its all about anyway.

Detroit is going to play defense, Dallas is going to score....

Somebody needs to make a fuckin shot.

DSM IV -R Axis II 312.34

spurs=bling
02-19-2006, 04:25 PM
we don't need no fricking trade.

hussker
02-19-2006, 04:26 PM
we don't need no fricking trade.

Agreed!

ChumpDumper
02-19-2006, 05:31 PM
I'd consider taking a flyer on Matt Harpring for Barry, I suppose. It kind of works for both teams if Utah plays Brent at the point.

If Harp's knee doesn't give out, he could provide at least the same shooting as Barry and better boarding. If he doesn't work out, he's gone after June.

T-Pain
02-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Who would we be able to get for Brent Barry? Right now we are needing improvement on rebounding. Drew Gooden is averaging almost 9 rebounds per game. His salary is very close to Brent's and his contract expires after this year. What are everyone's thoughts on this possibility?

i dont want drew gooden

exstatic
02-19-2006, 06:38 PM

There is a huge gray area between a lockdown defender, and someone who just doesn't GAF, which would be Gooden. He's a Drive By defender, which is to say that he frequently watches players Drive right By him.

In basketball, no matter what the level of effort, you cannot control if the ball goes in or not. Level of effort, however DOES matter on defense. That's what Pop stresses: control the things you can.

SequSpur
02-19-2006, 06:47 PM
There is a huge gray area between a lockdown defender, and someone who just doesn't GAF, which would be Gooden. He's a Drive By defender, which is to say that he frequently watches players Drive right By him.

In basketball, no matter what the level of effort, you cannot control if the ball goes in or not. Level of effort, however DOES matter on defense. That's what Pop stresses: control the things you can.

Most coaches in the NBA don't stress the things that Pop does. Only a handful of coaches in the NBA can manipulate players to buy into a system like Pop sells.

Drew Gooden was very good in College, he has had a decent NBA career, you never know....

The Spurs have nothing to lose.... Isn't Rasho still a spur?

Fuck Gooden might be better than any big man not named Tim in San Antonio.

Spurs16212
02-19-2006, 06:58 PM
I agree with you Sequ Spur... Popovich can work with him in that area... I like what he would bring in regards to rebounding. I believe he is more agressive than Rasho and Nazr. I know Nazr had a good game recently but it was one game. How do we know that he is not going to be in Pop's dog house for the next four or five games. Both Nzar and Rasho have been disappointing considering the money they are getting paid. For five to seven million a year they should be having close to a double-double each night. Both of them are not even close. Drew at least is at 11 PPG and near 9 RPG.

ChumpDumper
02-19-2006, 07:07 PM
1) What makes anyone think Gooden would be available for Brent Barry?

2) Mike Brown was the guy who could get ballas to buy into the Spurs' system. If he couldn't do that with Gooden in Cleveland....

3) Even if someone drops a tab of acid in Danny Ferry's coffee and he bites on a Barry trade, AND if Gooden actually plays Spurs basketball and shines in the system, how much is he going to cost this summer?

Kori Ellis
02-19-2006, 07:08 PM
1) What makes anyone think Gooden would be available for Brent Barry?

That's what I was thinking. Didn't they already get some decent offers for Gooden and turn them down?

Kori Ellis
02-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Brent Barry strikes me as an unattractive trade bait because he still has another year on his deal. If Brent was in the last year, I could see more realistic possibilities for dealing him.

Barry still has TWO years after this season, doesn't he?

SequSpur
02-19-2006, 07:11 PM
Since when did Mike Brown mold playas from the hood to listen to Pop?

I thought Mike Brown was white? :)

ChumpDumper
02-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Maybe if we threw in every Euro prospect we have....

ChumpDumper
02-19-2006, 07:12 PM
I thought Mike Brown was white?Would we expect anything else from you?

FromWayDowntown
02-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Barry still has TWO years after this season, doesn't he?

I didn't check, to be honest. One year or two, Barry with time left on his deal doesn't strike me as very good trade bait on his own. He's an aging player with a bloated contract. He brings some things to the table that are helpful, but teams can generally get similar abilities from younger players at lower prices. If he's combined with something that will help a team down the road, you might be able to do a deal similar to the deal the Spurs made for Nazr; but then again, you likely won't be dealing with Isiah Thomas.

I just wonder about the thinking (or lack thereof) behind some of the trade proposals that get floated around here.

Kori Ellis
02-19-2006, 07:20 PM
I didn't check, to be honest. One year or two, Barry with time left on his deal doesn't strike me as very good trade bait on his own.

I just looked. He's here through 2007-08. And I agree, his contract isn't attractive at all unless they package him with someone.

exstatic
02-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Most coaches in the NBA don't stress the things that Pop does.
Active NBA coaches with titles:
Jackson 9
Pop 3
LB 1

I don't give a flying fuck about what those "other" coaches stress. These three coaches have two things in common: their teams run motion offenses and play good defense. That's good enough for me, shortstuff.

Boulevard1
02-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Don't forget about Riley (4), who also stresses defense.

exstatic
02-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Don't forget about Riley (4), who also stresses defense.
Thanks, boully. I forgot him since he took over recently.

Dunc
02-20-2006, 01:15 AM
Fuck Gooden might be better than any big man not named Tim in San Antonio.

I've gotta assume sarcasm, cuz it just doesn't seem to me like drunkeness or retardedness is why you said that.

ChumpDumper
02-20-2006, 01:16 AM
I've gotta assume sarcasm, cuz it just doesn't seem to me like drunkeness or retardedness is why you said that.Why would you discount retardedness?

Dunc
02-20-2006, 01:17 AM
Why would you discount retardedness?

I don't know this person, so I hesitate to assume retardedness. I may lean that way though with a comment like that. Maybe the dude is new to basketball. I understand. There's alot to learn. jesus titty-fucking christ....

infinite styles
02-20-2006, 01:21 AM
I just traded Barry and Beno in NBA Live for Josh Howard!!! Does anybody know how to convert that into real life?!

spurs=bling
02-20-2006, 01:23 AM
I just traded Barry and Beno in NBA Live for Josh Howard!!! Does anybody know how to convert that into real life?!

maybe Holt is reading and he will listen :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed :depressed

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-20-2006, 01:23 AM

Did you have the "Mark Cuban Smokes Crack" patch activated?

T Park
02-20-2006, 01:24 AM
Does anybody know how to convert that into real life?!

If you find out how, for the love of pete, tell Pop and Rc....

infinite styles
02-20-2006, 01:27 AM
The only problem that I have now is whether or not to start him or Bruce. First game off the bench he had 15 pts, 7rebs and 3 asts. Anybody got RC and Pops email I'm a hit them with the goings ons!

infinite styles
02-20-2006, 01:28 AM
Did you have the "Mark Cuban Smokes Crack" patch activated?

Cuban was too busy blogging so he had his assistant sign the trade papers! :elephant :lol

infinite styles
02-20-2006, 01:29 AM
What was funny was right before I made that trade they offered me Armstrong for Finley.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-20-2006, 01:29 AM
Cuban was too busy blogging so he had his assistant sign the trade papers! :elephant :lol

I (obviously after I mention WHO I got for him) traded Rasho for Jason Collier and his expiring contract.

infinite styles
02-20-2006, 01:31 AM
I (obviously after I mention WHO I got for him) traded Rasho for Jason Collier and his expiring contract.

Damn! no comment :angel

How the hell do you ban Chris Anderson on the game?

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-20-2006, 01:32 AM
Damn! no comment :angel

How the hell do you ban Chris Anderson on the game?

Well, forgot to mention that I hadn't updated the rosters.

I also bested the Wizards by trading them Glenn Robinson and LJIII for Caron Butler.

Also traded Devin and Nazr for Jeff Foster and Fred Jones.

Sec24Row7
02-20-2006, 12:12 PM
I would LOVE to get jeff foster.

Rick Von Braun
02-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Active NBA coaches with titles:
Jackson 9
Pop 3
LB 1

I don't give a flying fuck about what those "other" coaches stress. These three coaches have two things in common: their teams run motion offenses and play good defense. That's good enough for me, shortstuff. Just a side comment... I haven't seen the Spurs running a motion offense lately (and with lately I mean this season). In addition, I would say that PJ Carlesimo influence was critical in getting into a motion offense in years past.

E20
02-20-2006, 02:37 PM
When is the trade deadline?

Man In Black
02-20-2006, 02:55 PM
I agree with you Sequ Spur... Popovich can work with him in that area... I like what he would bring in regards to rebounding. I believe he is more agressive than Rasho and Nazr. I know Nazr had a good game recently but it was one game. How do we know that he is not going to be in Pop's dog house for the next four or five games. Both Nzar and Rasho have been disappointing considering the money they are getting paid. For five to seven million a year they should be having close to a double-double each night. Both of them are not even close. Drew at least is at 11 PPG and near 9 RPG.

I love how this statement is a an oxymoron.

On 1 hand, it starts off by saying tiny has a point and that Pop can work with Drew to make him better. Then on the other hand, it says that Nazr still doesn't get it despite the 1 great game which resulted in a loss.

So, what are you really trying to say, that Pop sux as a teacher or that Nazr failed as a student? I'm more inclined for the latter.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-20-2006, 04:38 PM
When is the trade deadline?

Thursday afternoon, I believe.

Kori Ellis
02-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Correct.

Feb. 23: Trading Deadline, 3 p.m. ET

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Correct.

Feb. 23: Trading Deadline, 3 p.m. ET

I remember coming out of class last semester with my old editor telling me as soon as I walked into the newsroom that Malik had been traded.

ChumpDumper
02-20-2006, 04:44 PM
And just to inform everyone, the league allows for negotiations to extend beyond the deadline, so don't be surprised if things aren't all finalized that afternoon.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-20-2006, 04:58 PM
And just to inform everyone, the league allows for negotiations to extend beyond the deadline, so don't be surprised if things aren't all finalized that afternoon.

How does that work? Do you have to notify the league that you're already in negotiations and you're working out final bits or do you submit the basics and clarify as you go along?

Kori Ellis
02-20-2006, 05:07 PM
How does that work? Do you have to notify the league that you're already in negotiations and you're working out final bits or do you submit the basics and clarify as you go along?

I think the basics of the trade have to be submitted to the league by the deadline. And then you have time to pound out the details and finalize everything.

Que Gee
02-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Barry and Nazr to the Lakers for Chris Mihm, Devean George and Laron Profit.

Lakers need someone who distributes and passes well. Nazr would be tough on the boards with Kobe shooting 40 times a game. Laron is a throw in to make it happen $$$ wise.