PDA

View Full Version : Robinson wins dunkfest amid controversy (ESPN)

Amuseddaysleeper
02-19-2006, 11:05 AM
I told you guys this dunkfest would be remembered MUCH more for its controversy than it will for its actual dunks

Updated: Feb. 19, 2006, 5:36 AM ET
Robinson wins dunkfest amid controversyBy Matt Wong
ESPN.com

HOUSTON -- He was Nate-Robbed.

What should've been Andre Iguodala's second trophy ceremony of the weekend turned out to be a slam dunk of a controversy as Nate Robinson was crowned champ on NBA All-Star Saturday.

Which left Iguodala holding nothing but the short end of the stick, thanks to judges who appeared to favor the little Knick.

Even though it was obvious to the crowd that Philly's swingman delivered the best dunk of the night, catching an Allen Iverson pass off the back of the glass and gliding under the backboard and rim for a reverse-slam on the other side. And then running off the court and down the tunnel as if to say it was over.

"Andre's behind-the-backboard dunk, that was crazy," said Josh Smith, the defending champ who said he'd never try that even after seeing it completed.

Jesse D. Garrabrant/NBAE via Getty Images
We'll be talking about this creative jam for a long time.
Said Iguodala, "I came up with that one day during the summer. I was in the gym and this guy told me I couldn't touch one side of the backboard and come to the other side and dunk the ball, and I did it.

"It came from that and I'm glad I got a chance to show it to the crowd."

It was a creative, athletic display of fearlessness, especially since he had scraped his face on the bottom of the backboard on his first attempt of the dunk. He even followed that up with another perfect 50 on a flush featuring a behind-the-back, hand-to-hand transfer.

He caused so much electricity in the Toyota Center that it apparently caused a short circuit at the judges' table -- a mental short circuit, anyway.

Because soon after, the panel of Houston legends -- Kenny Smith, Elvin Hayes, Rudy Tomjanovich, Moses Malone and Clyde Drexler -- seemed ready to dismiss Iggy's popular slam, already determined to crown a 5-foot-9 champ.

Nate-Rob had gotten himself back in the competition when he walked across the court and handed Spud Webb his old Atlanta jersey No. 4. With Webb in his new duds, Robinson caught a bounce pass from the onetime dunk champ and jumped over all 5 feet, 7 inches of him for a spectacular jackknife slam, finishing in a squat that he held for effect.

Bill Baptist/NBAE via Getty Images
Robinson's high flying gave the Knicks a rare W this season.
Bringing the house down and the crowd up in the air.

"My teammate Jamal [Crawford], we were on the plane and he was like, 'I have the perfect idea, you should jump over Spud Webb.' And I was, like, 'That is a good idea.' "

The judges thought so, too, lowballing Iguodala with a 44 on his next attempt to force the first tiebreaker in the competition's history. The judges even looked like they were in cohoots, glancing at each other before they revealed their scores.

Either way, it was what the crowd wanted.

That is, it's what the crowd thought it wanted, until Robinson took 14 tries to complete his last dunk -- transferring the ball between each leg midair before passing the ball with his left hand to the glass for a dunk -- which kept Iguodala on the sidelines waiting and trying to stay loose.

"I had a few things I wanted to do," a subdued Iguodala said. "But it's tough when you're sitting around and you get stiff.

"But Nate did a good job out there. He deserved to win."

Webb certainly thought so, but he also chimed in on the inconsistent scores.

"They shouldn't get big guys to judge contests," Webb said. "Because they don't know good dunks."

Josh Smith, too, was miffed by the scoring.

For his opening dunk, he got the crowd on its feet by having a piece of masking tape placed foul line extended. Then, running the length of the floor, he completed a never-before-done two-handed jam after taking off with a foot on the free-throw line, even doing a little double pump for flair.

He received a score of 41, which put him out of the running early. His tape stunt had unfortunately misled the crowd and the judges.

"Obviously I was disappointed, but I can't get mad," he said. "I mean, it's a fun event and we pleased the crowd and added some spunk to the weekend.

"Nate and Andre put on a show."

Unfortunately, the judges stole it.

Matt Wong is an NBA editor at ESPN.com.

ballhog
02-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Aguodala did the same dunk 3 times!!! Robinson did it once and he's a foot shorter!!! He's the winner---hands down.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-19-2006, 11:29 AM
uhhh nate tried to do the same dunk 14 times and still walked away w/ the trophy :rolleyes

lilmads
02-19-2006, 11:34 AM
^ Exactly! I think Iguodala had an edge over Nate.

CHAMPS AGAIN
02-19-2006, 12:05 PM
judges were related to the super bowl refs

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-19-2006, 12:50 PM
This is gay. I really don't give a damn if some hack reporter couldn't look past a first round dunk.

Iggy didn't do anything special in the finals, maybe he should have spent less time running down the tunnel trying to convince the world it was over and more time coming up for something to do in the finals.

Samr
02-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Nate SHOULD NOT have tried that dunk 14 times. While I don't think there should be a limit on attempts, numerically, there should certainly be a time limit. It's like calling a timeout after an opponent's first free-throw-- it ices them.

However, Andre needs some imagination. While I admire his athleticism, his creatively revolves solely around jumping high and putting it between your legs. The one with Iverson is the sickest dunk I have ever seen. THAT is what the dunk contest is about, not pulling off variations of the same damn thing.

Nate should have won, just not in that way.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Nate SHOULD NOT have tried that dunk 14 times. While I don't think there should be a limit on attempts, numerically, there should certainly be a time limit. It's like calling a timeout after an opponent's first free-throw-- it ices them.

He operated within the confines of the rules for the competition.

cecil collins
02-19-2006, 01:03 PM
This is gay. I really don't give a damn if some hack reporter couldn't look past a first round dunk.

Iggy didn't do anything special in the finals, maybe he should have spent less time running down the tunnel trying to convince the world it was over and more time coming up for something to do in the finals.
How special is trying for 10 minutes and finally dunking the ball. I felt sorry for him. Pity doesn't crown a dunk champion.

IceColdBrewski
02-19-2006, 01:30 PM
After watching Dirk win the 3-point shootout after he should've been eliminated in the first round, I didn't think the night could possibly turn itno much more of a joke. Man was I wrong.

koopa
02-19-2006, 01:53 PM
the right person won, that fat judge was hatin on nate, he gave him an 8 on the between the leg dunk and gave iggy a freakin 10 for the same shit. that fat ass was trying to rob nate out of the trophy

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-19-2006, 02:31 PM
If legendary 76er Moses Malone wouldn't have given Nate an 8 for the dunk over Spud, it would have never gotten to that point (Nate had 4 tens and an 8 on that dunk). He also gave Andre a 10 for AI's last dunk in the finals when the other 4 judges gave it a 9. And he gave Nate an 8 for going between the legs at 5'7", but gave Iggy a 10 for it. So there was at least a 2, if not a 3 point swing thanks to a former 76er being one of the judges.

Karma's a bitch sometimes.

cecil collins
02-19-2006, 02:35 PM
New York City owns all contests.

thispego
02-19-2006, 03:29 PM
it was like chris andersen revisited last night

Cant_Be_Faded
02-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Uh, people who say iguodala did the same dunk more than once must not have watched very closely

that is all

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Uh, you obviously didn't watch that close either. Like I said, Iggy at 6'8" got a 10 for going between his legs, Moses gave Nate an 8, despite him being over a foot shooter.

Without 76er homerism, that never goes to a dunk off last night.

I know this is hard to comprehend for you given all your James Thomas > Adam Morrison crack pipe logic, but maybe you'll get it one day.

Winnipeg_Spur
02-19-2006, 03:55 PM
The problem isn't entirely with the judges, because it seemed like they were just following the rules that you weren't to be penalized for a missed dunk. The real problem are the stupid rules that allow a player to attempt a dunk 13 times before making it. Not only did it make parts of the dunk contest excruciating to watch, it also makes it difficult to compare to previous dunk contests, the rules on missed dunks were much different (Vince Carter did all his dunks on the first try).

The NBA needs to go with the college system where you put a certain amount of time on the clock (say, a minute), and you get that much time to complete a dunk. That way players can still attempt crazy stuff a couple times, but as the clock winds down they'll need to either do something safer to avoid running out of time, or take a huge risk and keep trying for the spectacular.

hussker
02-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Three Cares

jochhejaam
02-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Historically it'll be known as Dunkgate or Nategate. :lol

koopa
02-19-2006, 04:59 PM
If legendary 76er Moses Malone wouldn't have given Nate an 8 for the dunk over Spud, it would have never gotten to that point (Nate had 4 tens and an 8 on that dunk). He also gave Andre a 10 for AI's last dunk in the finals when the other 4 judges gave it a 9. And he gave Nate an 8 for going between the legs at 5'7", but gave Iggy a 10 for it. So there was at least a 2, if not a 3 point swing thanks to a former 76er being one of the judges.

Karma's a bitch sometimes.

oh it was moses malone that was screwing nate, he looked fat to me for some reason, old washed up fool hatin on the short dude with 8's

hussker
02-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Nategate! Hahaha!

spurs=bling
02-19-2006, 05:06 PM
oh it was moses malone that was screwing nate, he looked fat to me for some reason, old washed up fool hatin on the short dude with 8's

what was funny on the last dunk Iggy did that Kenny had the 9 then pulled out the 8.

E20
02-19-2006, 07:48 PM
what was funny on the last dunk Iggy did that Kenny had the 9 then pulled out the 8.
Good job by Kenny to force the the overtime, Nate was getting screwed.

TexasAggie2005
02-19-2006, 08:05 PM
I think Moses gave Nate an 8 because he saw all the other judges giving him 10's for a dunk that took him 14 TRIES to complete and didn't think the dunk deserved a 49 or a 50. It looked to me like all the judges kept looking at each others scores before holding theirs up and in some cases even changing them when they saw the other scores going up. Pretty shady judging all around (e.g. giving Hakim Warrick a 41 for a two-handed dunk from the free throw line). I still think Iguodala wins hands-down, everyone just favored Nate because he's short.

Spurminator
02-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Meh, Dominique was better than Spud Webb and nobody really cares. I don't see this "controversy" lasting more than a week anywhere outside of Philly.

ballhog
02-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Uh, you obviously didn't watch that close either. Like I said, Iggy at 6'8" got a 10 for going between his legs, Moses gave Nate an 8, despite him being over a foot shooter.

I know this is hard to comprehend for you given all your James Thomas > Adam Morrison crack pipe logic, but maybe you'll get it one day.

Yeah, what a homer Moses was. C'mon the guy was shorter than Spud Webb and did way tougher dunks. Iggy needed a little more creativity. Between the legs every time....jeez. How about a windmill or double pump or a 360 or a combination? The off-the-backboard thing was great but other than that, he didn't impress me. A short guy throwing it down, that's impressive no matter how many cracks he got at it.

cecil collins
02-22-2006, 03:15 PM

You said this same shit 300 times, and it's still dumb. Maybe he thought it was worth an 8.

Uh, people who say iguodala did the same dunk more than once must not have watched very closely

that is all
Nate Robinson tunnel vision. Bastard can't even dunk half the time, but he's our champion. Dunking over Spud Webb was not that creative, and I'd lean more towards predictable. I like Nate Robinson, but they handed him the trophy. He's no dunk champion.

cheguevara
02-22-2006, 04:00 PM
igudala's backboard dunk was awesome. But Nate's dunk over Spud was historic. It should have been a tie anyway.

they should have a limit on the # of tries, or else it looks kinda pathetic. look what happened to birdman, developed a drug habit due to the embarrasment. And also the judges sucked ass.