PDA

View Full Version : Should we move to San Antonio?

disruptivehair
02-19-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm a Texas native (grew up in Dallas), hubby is a limey...we were going to move to Austin but the real estate market there is just insane and it seems like *everyone* wants to go there, so I started thinking about SA instead. I've been there many times since I have family there but I haven't been there since 2001 so I'm sure it has changed a lot.

Any advice is appreciated. We work in the I.T. industry and the thing that'd make us the most nervous is not being able to find work. My husband also isn't a US citizen so he wouldn't be able to do any work requiring security clearances, I'm pretty sure. I've heard there's a lot of government contract work down there.

ZStomp
02-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Yes.

ZStomp
02-19-2006, 02:48 PM
I didn't even read ur post.

Sense
02-19-2006, 02:50 PM
I like San Antonio, but the urban parts of it are really messed up to live in...

I'll prolly live there anyway in a few years.

disruptivehair
02-19-2006, 02:52 PM
I like San Antonio, but the urban parts of it are really messed up to live in...

I'll prolly live there anyway in a few years.

I'm not sure where is a good area to live. My grandparents live near Vance Jackson and Callaghan...there's a road called Wurzbach nearby, there's a highway nearby; I think it's the 10. My aunt and uncle live in Braun Station; I'm not even sure what side of town that's on. I've driven there many times but it has been so long that I can't even remember street names.

Vashner
02-19-2006, 03:07 PM
No Vacancy

Edit: JK..

IMO the city is too big. I want to get away from it.

San Antonio used to be a place where everyone knew your name.. uh like cheers. Now it's full of beeping people.. from all over the place like roaches.

The roads are getting worse and they are planning on putting toll roads in to double tax us. Toll roads with NO LIMITs on how many years they can charge (IE forever)..

I am planning on moving to Leakey or Startsville (canyon lake area).

hussker
02-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Yes...move on in, but hurry up to get your seat!

IX_Equilibrium
02-19-2006, 03:43 PM
I am not from here originally, but I can tell you that San Antonio is a great city in which to reside. It's big enough that I have all of the amenities that I want, yet its very laid back. People are friendly, cost of living is low, and my friends and family love to visit.

And you can live inside of 1604 cheaper than you can outside of it (on the north side). There are tons of nice areas to live in throughout the city.

SequSpur
02-19-2006, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't move here.

If you do your research, besides working, Taco Cabana and drinking beer, there isn't shit to do here.

Old School Chic
02-19-2006, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't move here.

If you do your research, besides working, Taco Cabana and drinking beer, there isn't shit to do here.

Don't listen to Sequ :nope

San Antonio is a lovely city and I wish you and your hubby the best of luck!

ZStomp
02-19-2006, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't move here.

Taco Cabana?? :lmao THat place sux.

If you dont' like it...split. Don't let the door hit you on the head on the way out. :lol

Old School Chic
02-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Taco Cabana?? :lmao THat place sux.

If you dont' like it...split. Don't let the door hit you on the head on the way out. :lol

:rolleyes

midgetonadonkey
02-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Yes Taco Cabana blows, but the city is great. I moved here from Corpus 6 months ago and I am really digging it. I think I will be a San Antonian for the rest of my days.

Old School Chic
02-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Yes Taco Cabana blows, but the city is great. I moved here from Corpus 6 months ago and I am really digging it. I think I will be a San Antonian for the rest of my days.

That's good to hear :spin

SequSpur
02-19-2006, 04:13 PM
OK... besides tourist shit, Fiesta and the Rodeo........ what is there to do here the doesn't involve tortillas, sopapillas and flea markets.

Shelly
02-19-2006, 04:16 PM
I'm not sure where is a good area to live. My grandparents live near Vance Jackson and Callaghan...there's a road called Wurzbach nearby, there's a highway nearby; I think it's the 10. My aunt and uncle live in Braun Station; I'm not even sure what side of town that's on. I've driven there many times but it has been so long that I can't even remember street names.

Braun Station is on the NW side of town. I live right by it and if you have elementary age kids, Braun Station ES is excellent.

hussker
02-19-2006, 04:17 PM
OK... besides tourist shit, Fiesta and the Rodeo........ what is there to do here the doesn't involve tortillas, sopapillas and flea markets.

CORNYVAL IN HELOTES!

http://www.cornyval.com/prpi475.jpg

IX_Equilibrium
02-19-2006, 04:17 PM

plenty

But if you don't know, why are you still here? Quit bitching and move.

ZStomp
02-19-2006, 04:23 PM
plenty

But if you don't know, why are you still here? Quit bitching and move.

Thats what I said.

ZStomp
02-19-2006, 04:23 PM

Spurs?

ZStomp
02-19-2006, 04:24 PM
:rolleyes

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :shootme

disruptivehair
02-19-2006, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't move here.

Meh; mostly I like to hang out with friends, shop, eat out, and do outdoorsy things like gardening, hiking, etc. I'd imagine those activities are possible in SA? :hat

disruptivehair
02-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Braun Station is on the NW side of town. I live right by it and if you have elementary age kids, Braun Station ES is excellent.

We don't have kids but that may be where my cousins went to school; they both went to Marshall for HS but I'm not sure where they went to ES.

Shelly
02-19-2006, 05:02 PM
We don't have kids but that may be where my cousins went to school; they both went to Marshall for HS but I'm not sure where they went to ES.

If they live in Braun Station, then they went to that ES, Stevenson for MS, and Marshall for HS.

disruptivehair
02-19-2006, 05:55 PM
If they live in Braun Station, then they went to that ES, Stevenson for MS, and Marshall for HS.

Good to know. They turned out OK, though one of them took 6 years to graduate from A&M. :lol

PakiDan
02-19-2006, 06:12 PM
I too think that the social ramifications of removing the price stability supports in the sub-prime lending market would be reprehensibly detrimantal. Make me some pie!

RashoFan
02-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Hey, Welcome to ST! There is a lot to do around town....little festivals at local churches with good food if you are into that. Fishing near by, the coast is near by, You could go hiking at Enchanted Rock which I believe is not to far away. The small towns in the Hill Country are charming and if you have a thing for antiques, go there. There is tubing at the Guadalupe River, Schlitterbahn water park is in New Braunfels(close by), SplashTown waterpark, Fiesta Texas theme park and SeaWorld are also here. San Antonio Spurs basketball, and we get other sporting events here...NCAA basketball, AlamoBowl football, we have hockey...I could go on and on and on....Oh yeah...WE HAVE FIESTA!!!! 2 weeks of FOOD, MARGARITAS,parades,FOOD, MARGARITAS....plus the historical sites in town. and the San Antonio zoo is in the top 5 zoos in the country last I heard....
Anyway enjoy your time here...we can get alittle crazy around here, but it is all good.

2centsworth
02-19-2006, 06:24 PM
I love San Antonio. The people make it a special city. No matter what your background, as long as you're into sports, food, and family I bet you'll like San Antonio too.

If you ever feel like you need more entertainment, you'll be able to travel well because of the money you will save living in San Antonio.

T-Pain
02-19-2006, 06:26 PM
I think San Antonio is a great place to live. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND living in the Northside of SA, mainly like Northwest. its a little more quiet there besides the emergency sirens. its also the most diverse part of SA

T-Pain
02-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Hey, Welcome to ST! There is a lot to do around town....little festivals at local churches with good food if you are into that. Fishing near by, the coast is near by, You could go hiking at Enchanted Rock which I believe is not to far away. The small towns in the Hill Country are charming and if you have a thing for antiques, go there. There is tubing at the Guadalupe River, Schlitterbahn water park is in New Braunfels(close by), SplashTown waterpark, Fiesta Texas theme park and SeaWorld are also here. San Antonio Spurs basketball, and we get other sporting events here...NCAA basketball, AlamoBowl football, we have hockey...I could go on and on and on....Oh yeah...WE HAVE FIESTA!!!! 2 weeks of FOOD, MARGARITAS,parades,FOOD, MARGARITAS....plus the historical sites in town. and the San Antonio zoo is in the top 5 zoos in the country last I heard....
Anyway enjoy your time here...we can get alittle crazy around here, but it is all good.

^^^^^^^yeah, and that too^^^^^^^^^^^^

The sone
02-19-2006, 06:40 PM

:nope

you must be at least this tall to make mexican jokes!!

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3793/atall9vc.jpg

:elephant :elephant :elephant

BigZak
02-19-2006, 07:47 PM
many people not around good mexican food would kill for a TC's. be thankful you ungrateful bastards!!! :lol

SaTown is the place to be. I don't know how the job market will be for you guys, so be sure to look into that and know what your dealing with, but c'mon down. Great city.

Melmart1
02-19-2006, 09:31 PM
[QUOTE=BigZak]many people not around good mexican food would kill for a TC's. be thankful you ungrateful bastards!!! :lol

QUOTE]

No shit! I would kill for a TC's around here!

exstatic
02-19-2006, 10:04 PM
What kind of IT work do you and your hubby do? San Antonio is very unique in that there are very great places to live well inside of the city limits. There was never a "white flight" like a lot of major cites. Austin is fantastic, and I might move there...if I ever hit the lottery. It's like moving to the West coast without leaving Texas. Ridiculous prices.

zero signal
02-19-2006, 10:38 PM
SA is cool. Living is cheap, crime is low, and traffic is smooth for a large city. Most people are well mannered. And of course, there's the Spurs.

There isn't much in the way of nightlife, though. Move somewhere near I-35 for quick access to Austin.

jcrod
02-19-2006, 11:32 PM
If both of you are in the IT industry, i would advise not to move here. There are not that many IT companys here that would pay well (like Dallas would). You're better off getting a job in Austin and living in a small town outside, like New Branfuels, San Marcus etc...

Now if you can market yourself outside IT, then SA is an great place to live. Good luck!

ZStomp
02-19-2006, 11:36 PM
If both of you are in the IT industry, i would advise not to move here. There are not that many IT companys here that would pay well (like Dallas would). You're better off getting a job in Austin and living in a small town outside, like New Branfuels, San Marcus etc...

Now if you can market yourself outside IT, then SA is an great place to live. Good luck!

What is this IT you talk about?

ChumpDumper
02-19-2006, 11:40 PM
Just don't drive when it's cold and everything will be cool.

CharlieMac
02-19-2006, 11:43 PM
What do people call San Antonio? Is it "The smallest, big city"? I think that's a perfect description.

I don't know much about the job market for your hubby, but I think you'd love it here.

jcrod
02-20-2006, 12:19 AM
What is this IT you talk about?

:lol Information Technology

ZStomp
02-20-2006, 12:36 AM
:lol Information Technology

You had me running scared!

http://www.tvacres.com/images/pennywise.jpg

Buddy Holly
02-20-2006, 12:40 AM
There isn't much in the way of nightlife, though.

2000 called, they want their stereotype back.

In the last year alone over 10 new bars/lounges/clubs opened up downtown.

Buddy Holly
02-20-2006, 12:45 AM
If both of you are in the IT industry, i would advise not to move here. There are not that many IT companys here that would pay well (like Dallas would).

Wrong.

Companies like Rackspace, Denim Group, and NSA are in a major hiring frenzy. Right now, what Rackspace needs more than ever is programmers and engineers.

With the three companies I just named, you can make some seriously good bank and also live in a ceap ass city housing wise.

Buddy Holly
02-20-2006, 12:52 AM
It's like moving to the West coast without leaving Texas.

??

It's the most overrated city in the entire US.

Old School Chic
02-20-2006, 12:56 AM
Wrong.

Companies like Rackspace, Denim Group, and NSA are in a major hiring frenzy. Right now, what Rackspace needs more than ever is programmers and engineers.

With the three companies I just named, you can make some seriously good bank and also live in a ceap ass city housing wise.

My husband is an IT director @ At&t They are always hiring especially now that they merged with SBC...

disruptivehair
02-20-2006, 01:15 AM
What kind of IT work do you and your hubby do? San Antonio is very unique in that there are very great places to live well inside of the city limits. There was never a "white flight" like a lot of major cites. Austin is fantastic, and I might move there...if I ever hit the lottery. It's like moving to the West coast without leaving Texas. Ridiculous prices.

We looked at real estate in Austin a year ago; those same houses would now sell for at least $30,000 more and we're not going to be ready to buy for at least another year, probably two. I shudder to think what's going to happen to the market. SA's supposed to be going up too, but it's starting from a lower point than Austin is! My husband still thinks Austin is cheap, but real estate in good parts of Austin itself is mostly out of our price range now, and Round Rock and Pflugerville are going through the roof. Even places like Kyle and Buda are getting pricey. :depressed

Buddy Holly
02-20-2006, 01:20 AM
Dis, check your PM.

Old School Chic
02-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Dis, check your PM.

What about me? :depressed

Buddy Holly
02-20-2006, 01:22 AM
SA's supposed to be going up too,

Ranked hottest real estate market by Fortune magazine.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA122005.1A.sarealestate.4e81f1e.html

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/re_growth_forecast/

T Park
02-20-2006, 01:22 AM
I travel alot, and have been and stayed for certain amounts of time in lots of cities.

Orlando, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Tampa, New York, St Louis, Dallas, Houston.

I always keep coming back here.

The one thing I can sum up in this town is, traditions.

April rolls around, its Fiesta and Spurs playoffs.

September rolls around, its Cowboys, Texans, Longhorns and Friday night lights.

Christmas time, tamales, menudo, downtown lights.

February, the RODEO!!!

Summer time, theres lots of festivals, lots of dance halls to head out to, outdoor concerts (in the summer time I find that nuts, but whatta ya gonna do)
l

To wrap it up.

Ive been alot of places in america, and I would rather live in San Antonio in August, than Los Angeles in May or June.

San Antonio is the little feeling city, but its area and stuff inside it, are making it feel big.

Move to San Antonio, and you won't regret it.

Plus, you will have built friends from this board to hang out with.

We can be a fun bunch!! :)

Buddy Holly
02-20-2006, 01:23 AM
What about me? :depressed

I'm a one PM kind of guy. :angel

disruptivehair
02-20-2006, 01:57 AM
Ranked hottest real estate market by Fortune magazine.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA122005.1A.sarealestate.4e81f1e.html

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/re_growth_forecast/

Yeah, but they're starting from a much lower median value than Austin is.

disruptivehair
02-20-2006, 01:58 AM
I travel alot, and have been and stayed for certain amounts of time in lots of cities.

Orlando, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Tampa, New York, St Louis, Dallas, Houston.

I always keep coming back here.

The one thing I can sum up in this town is, traditions.

April rolls around, its Fiesta and Spurs playoffs.

September rolls around, its Cowboys, Texans, Longhorns and Friday night lights.

Christmas time, tamales, menudo, downtown lights.

February, the RODEO!!!

Summer time, theres lots of festivals, lots of dance halls to head out to, outdoor concerts (in the summer time I find that nuts, but whatta ya gonna do)
l

To wrap it up.

Ive been alot of places in america, and I would rather live in San Antonio in August, than Los Angeles in May or June.

San Antonio is the little feeling city, but its area and stuff inside it, are making it feel big.

Move to San Antonio, and you won't regret it.

Plus, you will have built friends from this board to hang out with.

We can be a fun bunch!! :)

Hehehe...we will definitely consider it. We probably won't get to TX until October/November, and we'll have to come to SA for a visit. I've been there lots of times like I said, but I haven't seen it since 2001 and I bet it's changed!

Buddy Holly
02-20-2006, 02:15 AM
Yeah, but they're starting from a much lower median value than Austin is.

Not really.

$130,000 vs. $161,000

ChumpDumper
02-20-2006, 03:12 AM
Almost 20% lower can be called "much."

Buddy Holly
02-20-2006, 03:32 AM
Almost 20% lower can be called "much."

$386,200 in Boca Raton or $766,000 in San Francisco is "much" more not $30,000.

Mark in Austin
02-20-2006, 03:59 AM
??

It's the most overrated city in the entire US.

Once again, he shows his ass.

I lived in San Antonio for 18 years, and in Austin now for 7.

You don't need to slam Austin to build up San Antonio... there are people that will like SA better, and there are people that will like Austin better. San Antonio has a lot going for it. Focus on those strengths, Mr. Chamber of Commerce.

Personally, I could make as much or more money in SA and have a lower cost of living (but not as dramatically lower as it was five years ago), but as much as I like SA, I chose to stay in Austin because I love it here and there is so much more for me here than in SA socially, intellectually, and spiritually.

I would suggest doing the job search thing in both cities and find out what offers come in better, relative to the respective cost of living. They're both great cities with their own strengths.

ChumpDumper
02-20-2006, 04:02 AM
Figure that with interest over a 30-year mortgage and then dig that amount from under your couch cushions, right?

It's almost 20% less. If I told Slomo he could buy a digital camera for 20% less in a different location, that might influence his decision.

Buddy Holly
02-20-2006, 04:12 AM
Figure that with interest over a 30-year mortgage and then dig that amount from under your couch cushions, right?

It's almost 20% less. If I told Slomo he could buy a digital camera for 20% less in a different location, that might influence his decision.

Again, when you have markets out there that are double, triple, and in some cases quadruple both market prices, $30,000 isn't "much" more.

Buddy Holly
02-20-2006, 04:13 AM

What?

Go to other forums, forums that rotate around city talk and the overwhelming opinion is that of mine.

What does it matter, someone is eventually going to come in here and say that Dallas or Houston kick both cities asses. :lol

ChumpDumper
02-20-2006, 04:16 AM
If we were talking about other markets, you might have a point.

We're not.

And it's a very safe assumption you rent.

Why would you complain so much about something that works in San Antonio's favor?

Insanity.

Buddy Holly
02-20-2006, 04:17 AM
If we were talking about other markets, you might have a point.

We're not.

And it's a very safe assumption you rent.

Why would you complain so much about something that works in San Antonio's favor?

Insanity.

I'm not complaining, it's just a simple word problem I have.

Being the cheapest major city in the country to live in is bad ass.

Buddy Holly
02-20-2006, 04:26 AM
The thing is, San Antonio is now the fastest growing city in Texas and the third fastest growing metro region behind only Dallas and Houston.

A lot of that has to do with cheap land/cheap housing but even more has to do with the incredible job growth in the last 2-3 years as well as future job growth that is driving housing up the roof.

disruptivehair
02-20-2006, 12:41 PM

I lived in San Antonio for 18 years, and in Austin now for 7.

You don't need to slam Austin to build up San Antonio... there are people that will like SA better, and there are people that will like Austin better. San Antonio has a lot going for it. Focus on those strengths, Mr. Chamber of Commerce.

Personally, I could make as much or more money in SA and have a lower cost of living (but not as dramatically lower as it was five years ago), but as much as I like SA, I chose to stay in Austin because I love it here and there is so much more for me here than in SA socially, intellectually, and spiritually.

I would suggest doing the job search thing in both cities and find out what offers come in better, relative to the respective cost of living. They're both great cities with their own strengths.

Oddly enough, I always found Dallas to be MUCH more fun than Austin. Austin has Dallas beat for physical beauty any day of the week and the people are much nicer, but I had more fun in Big D. I've never lived in SA so I can't comment on it!

disruptivehair
02-20-2006, 12:44 PM
The thing is, San Antonio is now the fastest growing city in Texas and the third fastest growing metro region behind only Dallas and Houston.

A lot of that has to do with cheap land/cheap housing but even more has to do with the incredible job growth in the last 2-3 years as well as future job growth that is driving housing up the roof.

Yeah, but it's still pretty darn cheap when you compare it with Austin which is the most expensive city in Texas by far. Parts of north Dallas put Austin on AVERAGE to shame, but overall the cost of living in Austin is skyrocketing, and SA will probably always be more affordable than the capital. Add to the mix the fact that everyone and their grandmother wants to live in Austin and you've got a recipe for enormous rises in housing costs; they just can't put 'em up fast enough, and there's a lot of land west of the city that they can't build on anyway so the growth is mostly north-south making for hellish commutes. I wouldn't want to live in Round Rock just because of the commutes and buying in Austin proper nowadays means a shack and shitty schools but decent commute times, or Round Rock and a mini-McMansion and a traffic nightmare five days a week. It appealed to me a year ago, but it just sounds like a giant PITA now!

Old School Chic
02-20-2006, 12:44 PM
I'm a one PM kind of guy. :angel

:lol I figured that one out last night

101A
02-20-2006, 12:52 PM
CORNYVAL IN HELOTES!

http://www.cornyval.com/prpi475.jpg

Picture taken in front of Hanks, just down the road from the General store.

I miss home.

Vashner
02-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Austin sucks unless you have a lot of money and live in the hills or near the lake w/ boat.

Vashner
02-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Whatever you do . D O N O T move to a northside school district.. the worst on the planet if you are going to have kids go to school.

Buddy Holly
02-20-2006, 06:02 PM
Northside ISD is one of the best ISD's in the state.

Way too crowded, still none the less good.

Buddy Holly
02-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Add to the mix the fact that everyone and their grandmother wants to live in Austin and you've got a recipe for enormous rises in housing costs; they just can't put 'em up fast enough,

I doubt that, seeing as San Antonio had more housing starts in 2005, they can't get them up fast enough here.

Shelly
02-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Whatever you do . D O N O T move to a northside school district.. the worst on the planet if you are going to have kids go to school.

I have no complaints.

2Blonde
02-20-2006, 06:37 PM
If you are including NEISD in that then I'll take exception to that also. My daughter has gotten a great education in the NEISD so far.

disruptivehair
02-21-2006, 01:11 AM
I doubt that, seeing as San Antonio had more housing starts in 2005, they can't get them up fast enough here.

They're running out of room in Austin dude! :depressed

Buddy Holly
02-21-2006, 02:58 AM
They're running out of room in Austin dude! :depressed

Not really. :lol

travis2
02-21-2006, 07:32 AM

Dwarf bowling?

pache100
02-21-2006, 11:40 AM
The roads are getting worse and they are planning on putting toll roads in to double tax us. Toll roads with NO LIMITs on how many years they can charge (IE forever).

The roads in San Antonio are nothing compared to the roads in Houston. I went to Galveston over the weekend and had not driven through Houston in exactly a year. WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY DOING? All their major thoroughfares are one big construction zone. If they keep going at the rate they are, Houston will just be one giant ROAD.

I'd like to agree about the toll roads. But, I have driven on toll roads in Houston, Oklahoma, and on the East Coast, and I have to tell you, they work. And, they really are NOT that expensive.

MoSpur
02-21-2006, 12:44 PM
I haven't lived anywhere outside the SA area in my life. I've visited a good handful of cities in the US, but never lived so I cannot compare those cities to SA. However, every time I am away from SA for more than three days, I want to comeback.

This city is like a huge small town because of the people. I believe that people make the city and this city has awesome people. If you are looking for the best nightlife, this isn't the city, but if you are looking to make good friends and feel welcomed, this is the city to move to. Plus its very cheap as far as cost of living goes. I've stayed in other cities and have had to buy groceries because of the length of time I stayed and let me tell you that there is a huge difference in price.

I recommend you buying some land if you can outside the city and make the short drive to town if you can. That's just my opinion though.

batman2883
02-21-2006, 12:54 PM
If Only For The Chachos Nachos Yes For The Love Of God Yes

tlongII
02-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Although it is hot, flat, and dusty, San Antonio would be a nice place to live.

ObiwanGinobili
02-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Although it is hot, flat, and dusty, San Antonio would be a nice place to live.

Don't pay attention to tlong.
He's down on SA becaue the climate doesn't support sheep ranching.

Mrs.Tlong
02-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Yes.
I'd overheat most months of the year if sweetypie took me to San Antonio.
Good thing we live in the cold and wet northwest where Tlong needs me to keep him warm night after night.