PDA

View Full Version : Nazr Could Sign With Chicago This Summer

SlovenianGuy
02-20-2006, 06:23 AM
Mercury News - One free agent the Bulls figure to look at this summer is Chicagoan Nazr Mohammed, who had a career-best 20 rebounds in 36 minutes off the Spurs' bench last week against the 76ers. After starting for the champion Spurs last season, Mohammed fell behind Rasho Nesterovic because of defensive deficiencies.

During the summer, he turned down a four-year extension from the Spurs worth in the $25 million range. He said he wanted to wait until the summer when he would become a free agent and be eligible for a five-year deal. "I would be lying to say I haven't thought about it at all," Mohammed said.

link (http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39231/20060219/nazr_could_sign_with_chicago_this_summer/)

ALVAREZ6
02-20-2006, 09:00 AM
No, we should trade Nazr for this guy:

http://onlineathens.com/images/050505/17646_512.jpg

In all seriousness though, he would make a great back up for Bruce, he gets offensive rebounds, hustles, plays D. If I were the Spurs I would try to get him.

Phenomanul
02-20-2006, 09:00 AM
That's the second time the 25 million dollar figure was mentioned....

Didn't Nazr say if it had really been 25 million he would have signed??

Phenomanul
02-20-2006, 09:02 AM

In all seriousness though, he would make a great back up for Bruce, he gets offensive rebounds, hustles, plays D. If I were the Spurs I would try to get him.

I love Nocioni's game.... He would make an awesome Spur.... but I doubt manangement will go with taking all of Team Argentina....

ALVAREZ6
02-20-2006, 09:06 AM
I love Nocioni's game.... He would make an awesome Spur.... but I doubt manangement will go with taking all of Team Argentina....
I would trade Nazr AND Oberto for him. We don't need Oberto, he never plays, and obviously won't help us too much. After the trade, you pick up some other big man that's a FA.

zeleni
02-20-2006, 09:15 AM
no one in chicago would trade Nocioni...

SouthernFried
02-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Now I know why Nazr hasn't been starting.

Ariel
02-20-2006, 09:22 AM
I love Nocioni's game.... He would make an awesome Spur.... but I doubt manangement will go with taking all of Team Argentina....Funny you should say that. Check this (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110705.1D.BKNspurs.bulls.advance.120ca629.html ) out:
If Popovich had his way, half the Spurs' roster would be filled with Argentines. The Spurs wanted to draft Nocioni but thought he was ineligible after a former international scout provided an incorrect birth date for him. They also looked hard at signing Montecchia, 33, a few seasons ago.

Montecchia is tough, "and he shoots it from everywhere," Popovich said. "They'd all be here right now if I could get them out of their contracts, but I couldn't do it."Well, I guess that settles it. ;)

spur219
02-20-2006, 09:40 AM
I would trade Nazr now to Chicago and not let him go for nothing. If Chicago really wants Nazr they will give up Nocioni for him. Work a trade.

Despot
02-20-2006, 09:41 AM

Why would you want Jeffries??

SenorSpur
02-20-2006, 09:55 AM
We'd surely miss those offensive rebounds.

If the Spurs are forced to lose this guy, I'd hope they'd get something in return - like Luol Deng

Duncanoypi
02-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Jeffries is our long lost 3....lol

Bruno
02-20-2006, 10:11 AM
I like Nocioni but :
Chicago won't give Luol Deng or even Nocioni for Nazr.
Nazr is a free agent this summer : why would chicago give something for a player they can have this summer ?
They aren't contending and they will be under the cap this summer.

And for the offensive rebounding :
Nazr : 5.3 Offensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes (7th in the league)
Nocioni : 1.9 Offensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes

Bruno
02-20-2006, 10:19 AM
That's the second time the 25 million dollar figure was mentioned....

Didn't Nazr say if it had really been 25 million he would have signed??

Nazr have said he would have signed for $28M.

And for the $25M, this article seems to be based on the one where the $25M figure was mentioned :
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33732&highlight=%2425M
(look at Nazr's quote)

ro_50
02-20-2006, 11:08 AM
The Bulls wont trade AN.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-20-2006, 11:34 AM
I like Nocioni but :
Chicago won't give Luol Deng or even Nocioni for Nazr.
Nazr is a free agent this summer : why would chicago give something for a player they can have this summer ?
They aren't contending and they will be under the cap this summer.

And for the offensive rebounding :
Nazr : 5.3 Offensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes (7th in the league)
Nocioni : 1.9 Offensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes

Couldn't the Spurs do a S&T with another team, though?

ducks
02-20-2006, 11:47 AM
YES even the pistons

Bruno
02-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Couldn't the Spurs do a S&T with another team, though?

Yes and No.
Spurs can do a S&T with another team only if it's Nazr choice.

Nazr can do what he want this summer.
If Nazr want to play with a team over the cap and want more than the MLE ($30M over 5 years), he can ask to Spurs to work on a S&T between the Spurs and the other team.

Chicago will be under the cap (ie they can offer Nazr more than the MLE), the only interest for Nazr to make a S&T with Chicago is to get a 6 years deal instead of a 5 years deal (Spurs can offer a 6 years contract to Nazr this summer, other teams a 5 years contract).

SenorSpur
02-20-2006, 01:05 PM
I, for one, wish there were some way the Spurs could keep him around.

exstatic
02-20-2006, 03:28 PM
The thing is, Chicago has a LOT of twos, and threes. At some point, maybe two or three years down the line, they will NOT be able to keep both Nocioni and Deng at the three spot, from a cap/money standpoint. If they were amenable to talk about a S&T for a player they obviously want in Nazr, I'd ask for Nocioni or Deng, and offer them any one prospect from overseas to go with Nazr.

leemajors
02-20-2006, 03:35 PM
The thing is, Chicago has a LOT of twos, and threes. At some point, maybe two or three years down the line, they will NOT be able to keep both Nocioni and Deng at the three spot, from a cap/money standpoint. If they were amenable to talk about a S&T for a player they obviously want in Nazr, I'd ask for Nocioni or Deng, and offer them any one prospect from overseas to go with Nazr.

amen.

ploto
02-20-2006, 07:26 PM
I told people Nazr was going to the Bulls last summer, and I'm sticking to it.

SenorSpur
02-20-2006, 10:41 PM

Amen again. Deng would be a superb addition to this roster. I'm hopeful the Spurs will infuse some youth and athleticsim into their roster after this season and "weed out" some of the age. Deng would be an ideal fit.

MI21
02-21-2006, 02:47 AM
Deng would be impossible. He has an incredible future.

Nocioni you would think would be a little more likely, though not probable. I personally can not stand the way he plays and think he has some very questionable tactics, but he is a decent player who would prove valuable behind Bruce, plus he has the whole Argentina thing going for him.

SenorSpur
02-21-2006, 03:28 AM
I'm all for acquiring good players, but what the hell are we building here? A championship team or TEAM ARGENTINA?

If Deng is the better long term fit, the Spurs should go after him. He's a better defender and fits more the mold of what we're looking for from that 3 position.

I'd love to see the Spurs get considerably younger and more athletic at that spot for the future. Deng should be the guy.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2006, 03:49 AM
Why are we acting like these guys are available?

velik_m
02-21-2006, 04:21 AM
Why are we acting like these guys are available?

all star break...

don't worry, soon we'll be back to "Rasho < Nazr - no way Rasho > Nazr - Rasho < bag of peanuts - idiot! - STFU!" threads

ChumpDumper
02-21-2006, 05:15 AM
Nah, there'll be all kinds of crazy shit flying around before Thursday night.

prerok
02-21-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm all for acquiring good players, but what the hell are we building here? A championship team or TEAM ARGENTINA?

of course not. you should build team Slovenia.

get Brezec.

Peter
02-21-2006, 11:58 AM
If Chicago will be capped out next season, a deadline deal would make some sense for them.

I'm not sure I would like to see the Spurs lose Mohammed before the end of this season though.

Ariel
02-21-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm all for acquiring good players, but what the hell are we building here? A championship team or TEAM ARGENTINA?Well, apparently Pop feels Argentine players would help him do that, if you check this post of mine (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=760836&postcount=8) in this very same thread:

I love Nocioni's game.... He would make an awesome Spur.... but I doubt manangement will go with taking all of Team Argentina....Funny you should say that. Check this (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/
MYSA110705.1D.BKNspurs.bulls.advance.120ca629.html ) out:
If Popovich had his way, half the Spurs' roster would be filled with Argentines. The Spurs wanted to draft Nocioni but thought he was ineligible after a former international scout provided an incorrect birth date for him. They also looked hard at signing Montecchia, 33, a few seasons ago.

Montecchia is tough, "and he shoots it from everywhere," Popovich said. "They'd all be here right now if I could get them out of their contracts, but I couldn't do it."Well, I guess that settles it. ;)Nocioni has proven his worth in his own right. Nationality aside, he can play period.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about Nocioni or Deng, because chances of either being within Spurs' reach are marginal.

WalterBenitez
02-21-2006, 01:48 PM
no one in chicago would trade Nocioni...

:lmao, perhaps the management dont want to trade him, but fans ... are really ready for that, take a look in Bulls' forum án you'll see that

zeleni
02-21-2006, 01:57 PM
:lmao, perhaps the management dont want to trade him, but fans ... are really ready for that, take a look in Bulls' forum án you'll see that

:oops

you live and learn...

SoCalSpursFan
02-21-2006, 08:05 PM
I could see Nazr leaving, but I think keeping him around would be the best move of course.

WalterBenitez
02-22-2006, 02:21 PM
:oops

you live and learn...

I bet you all mine vbookies :drunk

Joepa
02-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Nazi is our best Center. I dun know if we want to unload him.

Tek_XX
02-22-2006, 09:29 PM
bye nazi

Despot
02-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Nazr does not strike me as the type of player with a Tony, Manu, NVE, or Finley attitude in the sense that he will sign here for less money because he likes the Spurs, or because he wants to be on a contender. I'm sure the Spurs already have a good idea what his value is on the market, and I doubt that the Spurs will offer him more than other teams will this summer.

I seriously doubt he will be a Spur next year. The only question is are we looking at trading him before tomorrow, or will we be content use him for the playoffs and let him walk in order to clear cap space.

Slinkyman
02-22-2006, 10:06 PM
i don't see the spurs trading Nazr because he's our 2nd best rebounder and right now rebounds are our weakness. Also when did Tony or Manu take less money to be a spur? Tony got just about the max he could get while manu only got an offer from the spurs.

Despot
02-22-2006, 10:19 PM
i don't see the spurs trading Nazr because he's our 2nd best rebounder and right now rebounds are our weakness. Also when did Tony or Manu take less money to be a spur? Tony got just about the max he could get while manu only got an offer from the spurs.

Well, Tony renewed his contract last year before it was up, mostly because of the impending CBA change, and Manu visited Utah and Denver but decided to re-sign with the spurs before even they offered him a contract. Even at the time, it was evident that both players were underpaid, and would have surely been paid more by other teams. But my point is still that Nazr is more concerned about the money than staying with the Spurs, he has already turned down the Spurs renewal offer even though it was reportedly very close to what he wanted.

Slinkyman
02-22-2006, 10:34 PM
Well, Tony renewed his contract last year before it was up, mostly because of the impending CBA change, and Manu visited Utah and Denver but decided to re-sign with the spurs before even they offered him a contract. Even at the time, it was evident that both players were underpaid, and would have surely been paid more by other teams. But my point is still that Nazr is more concerned about the money than staying with the Spurs, he has already turned down the Spurs renewal offer even though it was reportedly very close to what he wanted.

but didn't tony turn down 64 million when he wanted 66 million? Every player is about the money first, if denver would have offered manu 10-12 million a year you think he would have turned that down?

Despot
02-22-2006, 11:03 PM
but didn't tony turn down 64 million when he wanted 66 million? Every player is about the money first, if denver would have offered manu 10-12 million a year you think he would have turned that down?

Obviously negotiations are a fact of life, and I'm not knocking Nazr for wanting to get paid. You are actually supporting my argument as to why I do not think Nazr will be here next year.

Slinkyman
02-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Obviously negotiations are a fact of life, and I'm not knocking Nazr for wanting to get paid. You are actually supporting my argument as to why I do not think Nazr will be here next year.

Odds are Nazr won't be resigned by the spurs, this is a business and players move from team to team, but you are kinda knocking him saying he's not like tony, manu, etc. when really he is just like them, Or should i say they are like everybody else in the NBA! We were very fortunite to get parker to sign that extention and that was mainly due to contract length in the new CBA, had that situation been different Parker could very well be on another team now.

Despot
02-23-2006, 12:17 AM
Odds are Nazr won't be resigned by the spurs, this is a business and players move from team to team, but you are kinda knocking him saying he's not like tony, manu, etc. when really he is just like them, Or should i say they are like everybody else in the NBA! We were very fortunite to get parker to sign that extention and that was mainly due to contract length in the new CBA, had that situation been different Parker could very well be on another team now.

I love Nazr, and I would love to have him rather than (stop reading Angeluv) Rasho. I should have also made clear in my first post that one of the reasons he is not like Tony or Manu is because he is not starting, (until yesterday) and I really think he wants to play more. I don't believe that he would take less money to play less, But I don't think he will take less money to play more either. There is nothing wrong with someone getting as much money as they can out of their job, and they should not feel bad about doing it. But there are also people that will be satisfied with less as long as they are happy, and good at what they do where they do it. But when you say everybody else in the NBA, that is just not true, NVE and Finley, and I believe Horry all took less money to play here.

ChumpDumper
02-23-2006, 03:04 AM
NVE and Finley, and I believe Horry all took less money to play here.Those guys are old, and we initially overpaid Horry.

ploto
02-23-2006, 09:35 AM
I love Nazr, and I would love to have him rather than (stop reading Angeluv) Rasho. I should have also made clear in my first post that one of the reasons he is not like Tony or Manu is because he is not starting, (until yesterday) and I really think he wants to play more. I don't believe that he would take less money to play less, But I don't think he will take less money to play more either. There is nothing wrong with someone getting as much money as they can out of their job, and they should not feel bad about doing it. But there are also people that will be satisfied with less as long as they are happy, and good at what they do where they do it. But when you say everybody else in the NBA, that is just not true, NVE and Finley, and I believe Horry all took less money to play here.
Also, Rasho left $10M in Minneosta to come here.

It is also seems to me that Nazr is interested in the pay day-and that is obviously his choice. He got his championshop- hopefully two- and then he will go somewhere where he can get paid more and be sure he is going to start and play more. I hate to say it but I don't find it a coincidence that after all the stories came out about what the Spurs offered him last summer and then articles about his value dropping that Nazr suddenly started playing harder. I watch him and he seems to me to be about putting up his own numbers and not necessarily about helping his teammates succeed. I guess the next month playing against many of the top teams in the West will give a clear indication of how he matches up against them this season and how successful the Spurs AS A TEAM can be with him starting. I still need to be convinced he can handle starting night after night- adjusting sometimes with no practice in between- having to help set the tone of the game and defend and play against the BEST players and not the second string.