PDA

View Full Version : oneal stand pat

ducks
02-20-2006, 08:23 AM
For O'Neal, Artest questions keep coming
By Mark Montieth
[email protected]
February 20, 2006

HOUSTON -- Jermaine O'Neal was wearing a suit rather than a uniform in the locker room for Sunday's NBA All-Star Game, a wardrobe non-change forced by his groin injury.
That didn't stop several reporters from stopping by his locker during the media availability session. Their favorite topic of discussion?
Ron Artest, of course.
Artest played his final game for the Indiana Pacers on Dec. 6 and was traded to Sacramento on Jan. 25. But his specter still lingers over the Pacers.
O'Neal, who had famously stated he did not want Artest to return to the team after Artest made his trade request through The Star on Dec. 10, was completely conciliatory toward his former teammate on Sunday.
O'Neal and Artest cleared the air at a meeting at Stephen Jackson's home shortly after his trade request was aired, and O'Neal called Artest about 10 days ago.
"We're going to keep in contact," said O'Neal, who was voted by fans as a starter for the Eastern Conference All-Stars. "I have no hard feelings toward Ron. Ron has no hard feelings towards me. People put things out in the media that aren't true."
O'Neal polled his teammates after Artest said he wanted to return to the Pacers. Their response, he said, was unanimous against the idea because they wanted to move on from the constant controversies.
Now, he's confident Artest can move on as well.
"I think he understands now that this is one of his last chances to prove people wrong," O'Neal said. "I told him, people are waiting for him to make the smallest mistake and they're going to blow it out of proportion.
"But he's never hurt anybody. He's not a bad person. He's a great person. It was just that certain things he said caused the media to go crazy."
O'Neal: Stand pat for now

O'Neal hopes the Pacers don't make a major trade before Thursday's deadline. However, he's resigned to the likelihood something will happen after the season if the Pacers don't finish well.
"I think we're pretty solid right now," said O'Neal.
"(A trade in February) would prolong the situation as far as taking awhile to get comfortable. I think this summer we'll probably make some moves. Who will be in those trades? I don't know. But if I'm traded, let me know."
Haynes grateful

Oscar Robertson introduced Harlem Globetrotters legend Marques Haynes at the NBA Legends luncheon on Sunday.
Haynes paid tribute to Robertson, the Hall of Famer who led Attucks High School to two Indiana high school titles, in a roundabout sort of way.
"There was never a chance for me to play against you," Haynes said. "And I am happy for that."
Former Purdue All-American Herm Gilliam was recognized at the luncheon as one of 15 ex-NBA players who died in 2005.
Former Pacers center Len Elmore, president of the Retired Players Association