PDA

View Full Version : Bowen invited to USA camp

Kori Ellis
02-21-2006, 02:13 AM
Bowen invited to USA camp

Web Posted: 02/21/2006 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022106.4D.bowen.usa.d248e0a.html

Bruce Bowen walked outside Monday morning to pick up his newspaper and was surprised by what else he found on his doorstep.

A contract from USA Basketball.

The paperwork was a formal invitation for Bowen to participate in USA Basketball's training camp in July in Las Vegas. Only 22 NBA players will be invited to the camp, which will be used to determine the U.S. national team for this summer's World Championships in Japan and the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant and Cleveland's LeBron James are among the other players who have committed for the camp. Bowen wasted no time in signing the contract Monday and mailing it back to USA Basketball.

"I've accomplished a lot in my career," Bowen said. "But this is an opportunity to represent my country."

USA Basketball isn't expected to announce the complete group of players until March 1.

Bowen, who has said all season he would love to be picked, further impressed officials with his enthusiasm last weekend. After traveling from San Antonio to Miami Thursday to be with his family for the All-Star break, Bowen flew back to Houston on Friday to meet with Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball's managing director.

"I didn't really have any questions for him," Bowen said, "because I was just so excited for the opportunity."

Between his defense and timely 3-point shooting, Bowen can provide two skills Team USA needs. Bowen, who turns 35 in June, will be one of the oldest players in the camp, but he has proven to be durable, having started 324 consecutive games for the Spurs.

"The thing (Colangelo) is trying to do is build a team, and on that team you have superstars and role players," Bowen said. "They're looking for players that don't have to have the ball the whole time, who can continue to cheer on a teammate even though they might not be getting shots.

"It's an opportunity for me to do what I do."

Horry back: Robert Horry, who has appeared in only four games since Jan. 16 because of a lower abdominal strain, is expected to play tonight. "We're just going to go ahead and play him and see where he's at," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-21-2006, 02:15 AM
Hell. Fucking. Yeah!

gospursgojas
02-21-2006, 02:16 AM
What an honor for Bruce and likewise for Team USA to have Bruce on thier team.

Bruce getting reconized for his great D... I love it!

xcoriate
02-21-2006, 02:20 AM
That the fucking bomb!

Mega props to Bruce, an to Team USA for recognising.

milkyway21
02-21-2006, 02:22 AM
watch out Manu or Tony

this time Bruce will be in your face if selected :lol

good luck Bruce!

Horry For 3!
02-21-2006, 02:22 AM
They were talking about that on ESPN. Well Dee Brown and John Thompson's USA team. Both picked Bowen to be on the team because of his defense.

Trainwreck2100
02-21-2006, 02:27 AM
With those shitty ass refs, he'll have a field day.

Kori Ellis
02-21-2006, 02:28 AM
I didn't know they were inviting players that would be over 35 at the time of the Olympics.

Interesting.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2006, 02:29 AM
I'm sure they were looking for a perimeter defender that wasn't insane.

milkyway21
02-21-2006, 02:36 AM
how come Bruce didn't mention this on his website?

http://www.brucebowen.com/newsarchive/headlines.html

Kori Ellis
02-21-2006, 02:37 AM
I'm sure they were looking for a perimeter defender that wasn't insane.

True. That kind of limits the field.

Mr. Body
02-21-2006, 02:38 AM
Remember he'll be around 37 by the time the Olympics roll around...

Still, a tremendous honor.

MI21
02-21-2006, 02:45 AM
Incredible.

10-tka
02-21-2006, 02:53 AM
Bring him on. He 'll have the best seat in the house watching Rasho and Beno win WC in Tokyo.

velik_m
02-21-2006, 03:01 AM
I didn't know they were inviting players that would be over 35 at the time of the Olympics.

Interesting.

it is interesting, but only 12 out of 22 players will get to play at the tournament, so there is no guarantie he will play. Although him playing would lower our chances of getting a surprise win over USA.

Dre_7
02-21-2006, 03:04 AM
It would be sweet if he made it though.

carina_gino20
02-21-2006, 03:05 AM
watch out Manu or Tony

this time Bruce will be in your face if selected :lol

good luck Bruce!

:lol nice matchup there.

it's really good to see that some people watch and appreciate Bruce's game.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
02-21-2006, 03:36 AM
Finally the people in charge of Team USA are building a team.

This is excellent news for American basketball fans, just hope that he is selected over players with more Offense but no defense.

Slo spurs fan
02-21-2006, 04:27 AM
Way to go Brucy!!!

Slo spurs fan
02-21-2006, 04:31 AM
With those shitty ass refs, he'll have a field day.
Why you Americans always bitch about refs? You bitch about international refs and NBA refs (do you bitch about refs in NBDL too?). Stop complaining and start to play basketball like dreamteam was and you will not have anything to bitch about.

Trainwreck2100
02-21-2006, 04:37 AM
Why you Americans always bitch about refs? You bitch about international refs and NBA refs (do you bitch about refs in NBDL too?). Stop complaining and start to play basketball like dreamteam was and you will not have anything to bitch about.

QUOTE:"Fiba sucks" End Quote.

Slo spurs fan
02-21-2006, 04:41 AM
QUOTE:"Fiba sucks" End Quote.
Yeah, this is very "deep" answer! :rolleyes

Trainwreck2100
02-21-2006, 04:51 AM
Yeah, this is very "deep" answer! :rolleyes

Do you know who said that?

SoCalSpursFan
02-21-2006, 04:53 AM
Congrats Bruuuuuce.

ChumpDumper
02-21-2006, 05:13 AM
do you bitch about refs in NBDL too?Yes I do. Some of those guys are awful.

I do recall one team of officials doing particularly well -- it had former NBA player Haywoode Workman, Tommy Nunez's son and a woman on it. The last few games though -- ugh....

Pero
02-21-2006, 05:35 AM
Bitching about refs is part of being a fan. Also, FIBA refs do pretty much suck usually. However if you have a good team that shouldn`t bother you.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
02-21-2006, 05:43 AM
Mistakes are a human condition, and every sport where refs must take decisions in seconds there is always a great chance of mistakes happening. Specially in sports where there are rules that must be interpreted, like basketball or soccer, there is always going to be two or even more interpretations.

The only differences I really see between NBA and FIBA refs are two:

- No star treatment in FIBA: Stars don't get "whistle happy" refs that send them to the line.

- Travelling: FIBA refs are much more strict calling travelling, in the NBA there's an extra step allowed.

Trainwreck2100
02-21-2006, 05:46 AM
- No star treatment in FIBA: Stars don't get "whistle happy" refs that send them to the line.

That's true cause Tim Duncan got whistle happy refs that sent him to the bench. Just so you know he's the one that said "Fiba sucks"

velik_m
02-21-2006, 05:54 AM
Bitching about refs is part of being a fan. Also, FIBA refs do pretty much suck usually. However if you have a good team that shouldn`t bother you.

:tu

Trainwreck2100
02-21-2006, 06:00 AM

Agreed, if America cared they would have won. Instead they acted like it was the World Basketball Championships and not the Olympics.

Slo spurs fan
02-21-2006, 06:28 AM
Mistakes are a human condition, and every sport where refs must take decisions in seconds there is always a great chance of mistakes happening. Specially in sports where there are rules that must be interpreted, like basketball or soccer, there is always going to be two or even more interpretations.

- Travelling: FIBA refs are much more strict calling travelling, in the NBA there's an extra step allowed.
Agreed 100%

Slo spurs fan
02-21-2006, 06:29 AM
That's true cause Tim Duncan got whistle happy refs that sent him to the bench. Just so you know he's the one that said "Fiba sucks"
I know he said that! But he is not God, so he could be wrong too.

xcoriate
02-21-2006, 07:01 AM
yada yada yada

no matter where from or from which body, refs will always make mistakes

its pretty much part of the game, I think the nba probably has the best refs, as there schedule is more grueling and intense but refs at that level are all good regardless of whether they are fiba or nba.

exstatic
02-21-2006, 08:09 AM
What an honor for Bruce and likewise for Team USA to have Bruce on thier team.

Bruce getting reconized for his great D... I love it!

Um, he's not on the team yet, he's invited to camp. Looks like 22 in camp for 12 roster spots. Nonetheless, somewhere Manu groans.

gus
02-21-2006, 08:14 AM
In FIBA world refs suck pretty hard and there is quite a lot of corruption in their designation. Any team playing Serbia in a close match would say so. IOn fact everybody says that you have to have a good team of players and negotiators to get decent refs.

With respect to Bruce in the best choice the Team USA made. I am Argentine but I guarantee you, today, and record it, that USA will win the World Championship.

Bruce knows International game, he is a good defender, a good team mate. He is a Stud.

Gus

2centsworth
02-21-2006, 08:15 AM
Bruce is going to kick Manu's butt.

1Parker1
02-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Damn, it took Bruce till the age of 35 to FINALLY get recognized? Why couldn't the team USA officials have figured this out a little earlier?

I sincerely hope Bruce makes it, because I've read how much he's wanted to be on the team and represent his country. Very deserving :)

Oh and a Manu/Tony vs. Bruce in Olympics is Must Watch TV :tu

Sportman
02-21-2006, 09:33 AM
I can imagine MANU VS BOWEN :oops :oops

Solid D
02-21-2006, 10:12 AM

NBA allows 4 steps, sometimes. FIBA allows 3, sometimes. Both are very sloppy on changing or sliding pivot feet.

It seems to me that FIBA also calls carrying a little more.

In Athens, the FIBA refs called several lame and mysterious fouls on Tim Duncan. It got sort of ridiculous and thus Tim's comments "I hate FIBA".
Once Duncan was sitting, Lamar Odom and Carlos Boozer became next best options in the post. Timmy, a normally compliant, low-foul player, seldom got 20 minutes on the floor in the quarterfinals or semis since Larry(and Pop and Roy) would pull players after 2 fouls in the first half.

coachtf
02-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Bruce is perfect for a team representing USA basketball. He is a team player who does all the little things needed to WIN!

He is also well spoken and he will represent our country very well. Much deserved and Colangelo is on the right track.

abelle23
02-21-2006, 10:42 AM
way to go brucie!!!! i would love to see him play against manu and tony!! awesome!!

Trainwreck2100
02-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Bruce will do what team USA should have done and Sprain Manu's ankle. He's already done it once in practice so he knows how.

smeagol
02-21-2006, 11:47 AM
:tu BRUCE!

Trainwreck2100
02-21-2006, 11:49 AM
I know he said that! But he is not God, so he could be wrong too.

He could be wrong, but FIBA has a history of screwing Team USA out of the gold.

angel_luv
02-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Congrats Bo! Fantasy team represent! :elephant

Manu20
02-21-2006, 12:23 PM
BOWEN! :tu

Peter
02-21-2006, 12:25 PM
'bout time that USA Basketball started building a team instead of just finding the 12 biggest names they could sign up.

WalterBenitez
02-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Congratulations to Bruce :elephant :elephant :elephant
I think he deserves this recognition; he’s a team player and for sure will be good for USA National Team; additionally Bruce knows FIBA’s rules and how sensitive are some refs.

In the other hand … :eyebrows you americans are sending a dirty player to WC!!!

I wanna see Bruce guarding Manu and tony :lmao

ca®lo
02-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Finally finally finally!!!

congrats bruce!!!!!!!!! wtg!!!!!!!! :)

ObiwanGinobili
02-21-2006, 01:11 PM
This is excellent for Bruce!
It will be like th crownign glory to his career : an oppurtunity to shut down the world. :tu

With an invite like this (to an aging, low scoring, superb perimiter defender) I have actual hope for team USA. Makes me kinda wish Timmy was aprticipating - although I completely understand his reasons for not doing so.

Das Texan
02-21-2006, 01:15 PM
i dont think age is an issue with bruce.

he plays like someone in his mid 20s anyway.

congrats to Bruce, tremendous, tremendous honor.

50 cent
02-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Well deserved. I was thinking the other day that Bowen would be a great fit for Team USA.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Bruce will do what team USA should have done and Sprain Manu's ankle. He's already done it once in practice so he knows how.

:lmao

Spurologist
02-21-2006, 02:18 PM
Talk about shutting down the opposite team's best player. No way Surunus or Arroyo would have gone off against Team USA if Bowen was guarding them. It will be fun watching Bowen against Manu. I only thing I am worried about is the refs getting whistle happy. Timmy was fouled constantly in the olympics and the refs called nothing so I guess it works in Bowen's favor.

Streakyshooter08
02-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Cool. Best wishes to Bruce. I hope he makes the team!

circles_eternal
02-21-2006, 02:28 PM
yesss! omg! he`s been dreaming of this opportunity!

i`m so happy for him.

Bruce vs. Manu!

milkyway21
02-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Bruce is going to kick Manu's butt.

poor Manu:cry but :lmao :lmao :lmao

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-21-2006, 07:45 PM
It's about time Colangelo pulled his fucking head out of his ass. Maybe there's hope for Team USA yet.

SequSpur
02-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Ummm... now what would be the purpose of Bruce on the olympic team?

Carry luggage? Bring donuts?

Dude isn't going to get any playing time.

Guru of Nothing
02-21-2006, 11:27 PM
I'd actually watch, if Bruce were playing.

Solid D
02-21-2006, 11:34 PM
I'd actually watch, if Bruce were playing.

milkyway21
02-22-2006, 12:05 AM
it would be nice to see Vince Carter participate too if Bruce gets selected...:D

Solid D
02-22-2006, 12:08 AM

Bruce would play a role similar to Diamantidis. There's only one ball and when you have a guy who can provide stops vs. playmakers, the results are meaningful.

T Park
02-22-2006, 12:14 AM
it had former NBA player Haywoode Workman, Tommy Nunez's son and a woman on it.

Tommy Nunez's son?? I thought he was in the NBA?!?!

SequSpur
02-22-2006, 12:16 AM
Bruce would play a role similar to Diamantidis. There's only one ball and when you have a guy who can provide stops vs. playmakers, the results are meaningful.

Bro, basketball is about scoring points. Team USA needs points. They need offense. They don't need to worry about defending shit if they are blowing people out.

Bruce will be 50 years old. I don't consider Bruce to be a Dream Teamer 3 or 4 or whatever....

Its great that he got selected, but I don't think he is Euro material.

Solid D
02-22-2006, 12:18 AM
That's why you sit in the stands.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 12:20 AM
Tommy Nunez's son?? I thought he was in the NBA?!?!I dunno - I only recognized Workman at the time. Maybe there's more than one?

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20060127/ARKAUS/boxscore.html

Guru of Nothing
02-22-2006, 12:23 AM
Bro, basketball is about scoring points.

Not to quibble, but even teams that go 9-73 can score points.

SenorSpur
02-22-2006, 02:36 AM
Hopefully this will garner him some well earned respect and publicity. Maybe he'll finally be chosen as DPOY.

Despot
02-22-2006, 03:00 AM
I think what is interesting is that Bowen expects to be playing at the same level the next few years. I see him playing in the WC, but not at the Olympics, and if he is still able to play at that level in 3 1/2 years, thats great news for us.

I'm really curious to see the final list of invited players, I'm pretty sure that on March 1st we'll be able to tell which players will actually make the team, even though there will be "tryouts".

MI21
02-22-2006, 03:04 AM
Even Ray Allen endorsed this move, which is amazing in it's own right.

mikejones99
02-22-2006, 03:57 AM
Bruce was on fire today.

FromWayDowntown
02-22-2006, 04:09 AM
I dunno - I only recognized Workman at the time. Maybe there's more than one?

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20060127/ARKAUS/boxscore.html

The less experienced NBA officials tend to do both NBA and D-League games during the season, particularly as the NBA season gets towards its end. Just scanning some boxscores, Nunez, Robbie Robinson, Zach Zarba, Eric Lewis, Anthony Jordan, and Mark Ayotte have called both NBA and D-League games this season.

Vashner
02-22-2006, 04:33 AM
Gratz Bruce.. USA YES.. SADDAM NO!

WalterBenitez
02-22-2006, 05:13 AM

Bruce is the only chance for USA NT to play a decent defense :smokin

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Bro, basketball is about scoring points.

Name the last time the highest scoring team in the NBA won the title, Sequ.

Spurologist
03-13-2006, 07:15 PM
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/1126/bowen0cf.gif

Recognize

kalikot_boy_kr
03-14-2006, 05:33 AM
:rolleyes wow i see myself at the back :lol