PDA

View Full Version : Pacers season preview

pacers4ever
10-13-2003, 07:49 AM
SportingNews.com

Pacers season preview

Oct. 13, 2003

RENOVATIONS

They have the same players, but this is a different team with Larry Bird running it. Gone is coach Isiah Thomas, replaced by Bird crony Rick Carlisle. C Scot Pollard, the only new starter, can't score as well as Brad Miller but is a better fit because he enjoys the dirty work few of his new teammates care for. PG Kenny Anderson could push Jamaal Tinsley for playing time.

CORNERSTONE

At 25, Jermaine O'Neal is a seven-year veteran who has grown up in the NBA lifestyle of the rich and coddled. But Bird won't hesitate to put pressure on him if needed to help O'Neal live up to his new contract extension. In other words, consistent production of 20 points and 10 rebounds will be expected, not appreciated. O'Neal has the ability to be a franchise player on a title contender; stay tuned to see whether he has the desire.

FRAMEWORK

This is the most talented team in the East, but all that depth seemed to work against Thomas. He was forever tinkering with the rotation. That won't happen this season. Under Carlisle, players will know their roles, and those roles will include an emphasis on defense. SF Ron Artest is one of the league's best on-the-ball defenders, but the Pacers are weak defensively elsewhere, especially in the backcourt because Tinsley and SG Reggie Miller lack quickness. When one of them struggles, the Pacers can move Artest to shooting guard and play SF Al Harrington, who is overdue for his breakout season. Bird expects PF Austin Croshere, a fixture in Thomas' doghouse, to play a lot more.

BANK ON IT

Reggie Miller, who averaged just 12.6 points last season, will rebound after his ankles healed during the summer. Look for Miller to be the team's second-leading scorer behind O'Neal.

pacers4ever
10-13-2003, 07:56 AM
I thought the preview was pretty good. Saying that Pollard is a better fit for the team than B. Miller was pretty interesting, and i agree with it. Dont get me wrong, I like Brad's game, but Pollard is a better defender and his offensive game can be improved and expanded with the Pacers!

Reggie Miller being the second-leading scorer on the team; That sounds exciting .. we all want Reggie to get back to his normal self .. and we're expecting that to happen this season (after the surgery)!

Go Pacers!

Pooh
10-13-2003, 03:00 PM
Well from what I have seen of Pollard so far in the pre-season, he seems to be fitting in quite nicely in the lineup.

pacersrule03
10-13-2003, 06:05 PM
I'm pretty happy with this review. I too think that Pollard is a good fit for the team, we need some good low post defense. I believe reggie will be back up to 15 ppg but he'll be the 3rd leading scorer behind Ron Artest.