PDA

View Full Version : Reserves give Pacers win

Pooh
10-13-2003, 05:25 PM
Carlisle lets his subs finish off Indiana's victory over Celtics and their star players.

By Mark Montieth
[email protected]
October 12, 2003

What's that saying? It's not the dog in the fight, it's the fight in the dog? The Indiana Pacers closed out Saturday's preseason game against Boston with reserves. Considering the Celtics were going with three starters, including their two leading scorers, it hardly seemed fair.

But Al Harrington, Omar Cook, Primoz Brezec, James Jones, Jeff Foster and Fred Jones overcame chaotic offense with rabid defense in a 91-90 victory at Conseco Fieldhouse that was as uplifting as an early preseason game can be.

"We decided early in the fourth we were going to go with this group, sink or swim," coach Rick Carlisle said. "They were going to get some experience and we were going to find out what they were made of. We were able to get it done -- on true grit in a lot of ways."

Certainly not on shooting. Aside from two outstanding stretches by the starters, one in the first quarter and one in the third, the Pacers struggled at the offensive end. They were outscored in every quarter but the first, shot just 31.4 percent in the second half and produced only three missed shots and two turnovers in the final 21/2 minutes.

The reserves hit just 11-of-31 shots, but that was better than Celtics' All-Stars Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker mustered. They combined to hit 10-of-35 shots, 1-of-13 in the final period.

"Every time they drove to the hole there were two or three guys there," Reggie Miller said. "That's what we've been working on, help defense."

The Pacers' win was assured when Pierce missed a 3-pointer over rookie James Jones with three seconds left. By then, Pacers fans and starters alike were standing and cheering the frenzy.

"I was psyched," Jones said. "I wanted to be in that position. I wanted to redeem myself because I hadn't been performing up to par. I got it done."

The Pacers shot 39.4 percent from the field overall. Carlisle hopes they don't make a habit of that, but it underscored the point he's been making since his introductory news conference. Teams can still win when they shoot poorly if they defend well.

Each of the starters contributed. Ron Artest led the scoring with 17 points. Jermaine O'Neal and Miller had 14 each. Scot Pollard had nine points and eight rebounds. Jamaal Tinsley had six points, five assists and three steals.

That group, showing improved chemistry from Wednesday's opener, jumped to a 16-4 lead by hitting five of its first six shots. That four-minute sequence included a balanced diet of three shots near the basket, two 3-pointers and four foul shots.

"We were abiding by the system," O'Neal said. "We did a lot better job of moving the ball and getting everybody involved. We picked up where we left off in the second half of the first game."

The starters pushed the lead to 21 points in the third period as they opened with a 14-2 run, but it gradually disappeared amid the reserves' lack of cohesion.

Boston took its first lead on Erik Williams' 3-pointer with five minutes left. The Pacers didn't get it back until Foster hit two free throws with 2:32 remaining. Those points completed the scoring.

The irony was that Harrington, the most proven player on the floor, struggled the most, hitting 2-of-10 shots. But everyone else found ways to win. Brezec had eight points and eight rebounds. Fred Jones had four assists and no turnovers. James Jones had four points and the defensive stop of Pierce. Foster hit the late foul shots, had five rebounds, forced a missed 3-pointer from Walker and took a charge.

"Make no mistake about it, Boston was trying to get a win," Harrington said. "But coach had a little bit of faith in us and our defense and that's how we got it done.