PDA

View Full Version : Op Eding the SA Op Ed

Nbadan
02-22-2006, 01:10 AM
Ok, this is something new for the Political Forum. I though it would be 'entertaining' to post some of the stuff people in SA take the time to write to the editors of the local fish-wrap. Kinda keeping it local and fun...here we go...

Editorial: Whittington shows class, grace
Web Posted: 02/21/2006 12:00 AM CST
San Antonio Express-News

Harry Whittington emerged from his hospital bed Friday afternoon, fresh and vibrant despite the birdshot wounds that pocked the right side of his face.

The 78-year-old man stood tall and erect — perhaps the only one to do so in the sordid mess that started when Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally sprayed him with birdshot during a quail hunt in South Texas.

"We all assume certain risks in whatever we do, whatever activities we pursue," he told reporters during a brief address outside Christus Spohn Memorial Hospital in Corpus Christi. "And regardless of how experienced, careful and dedicated we are, accidents do and will happen — and that's what happened."

Whittington had dozens of reasons to be bitter and angry, the number corresponding to the amount of birdshot with which he got peppered.

But the Austin attorney refused to succumb to hostility. He was gracious and charming.

"My family and I are deeply sorry for all that Vice President Cheney has had to go through this past week," he told reporters. "We send our love and respect to them as they deal with situations that are much more serious than what we've had this week."

Braindead conservatives can spin this anyway they want, but Cheney did not 'pepper' Whittington with pellets, he nearly blew him away. Peppering is when you shoot at a bird and the pellets go up in the air and safely come raining down on top of other hunters. Cheney pointed his weapon and shot at another human being (albeit a lawyer) from 30 feet or less.

Whittington coming out and apologizing to Cheney was laughable, but then what do you expect from one of James Baker's relatives and a dedicated GOp loyalist? The truth?

:lol

Nbadan
02-22-2006, 01:56 AM
Here is what other SA writers wrote on Cheney:

Who funds ambulance?

It was interesting to learn Vice President Dick Cheney often has an ambulance standing by when he attends special outings.

Who is paying for this unnecessary service? Silly question, right?

- Mary Lou Wilson

Hey Mary Lou, the VP travels with his own doctor, cook and his own masseuse aboard his own multi-million dollar plane.

Your kidding about the ambulance thing, right?

This accident occurred on private property. Dick Cheney was on his own time, hunting with personal friends.

Hunting mishaps can happen to anyone whether you're the vice president or an everyday citizen. This is a man's personal matter, and he should be shown respect because of the situation with his friend Harry Whittington. It's nobody's business but Cheney's and Whittington's.

- Marshall Myers,
Uvalde

Yes Marshall, because VP's shooting people with shotguns happens everyday right? Nevermind the innuendo of alcohol being involved, nor the fact that authorities weren't contacted for 18 hours (after they were chased off the first time by Cheney's police), nor the fact that the media wasn't contacted for over a day, except for a media shill in Corpus, nor the fact that the only witness was better coached on what to say to the media by Karl Rove than a Joe Peterno football team (and she still fucked up). Nevermind that Cheney contradicted her statements to the media in his interview with Brit Franken-Hume. None of that matters in Marshall Myers world.

No relation to Michael, right?

Nbadan
02-22-2006, 02:08 AM
D.C. press have big egos

If we ever needed a disgusting demonstration of the overweening, self-importance of the Washington press corps, the Dick Cheney hunting accident has surely provided it.

The White House press conference Feb. 13 demonstrated the fixation of these gargantuan egos with reports about important people that offer the possibility of sensationalizing otherwise routine news events.

What happened? Well, Cheney accidentally wounded a fellow hunter who had failed to observe agreed safe hunting practices. The wounds were minor. If the people involved were Joe Booliblats and Harvey Thudpucker, big deal and so what.

But wait, the shooter was Cheney and the Washington egos were not properly informed for 22 hours! Outrageous!

I don't know how much press secretary Scott McClelland gets paid, but it's not enough.

Putting up daily with the likes of that sarcastic, combative David Gregory and the woman who asked if Cheney had offered to resign is surely beyond the tolerance level of most of us ordinary humans

- Robert F. Bogan

Yes Mr Bogan, the Washington Press Corp should just not do their jobs. Why bother? I'm sure if Scotty had been told that Cheney was the shooter (he wasn't) he would have informed the President Saturday night (and the Press Corp), instead of Karl Rove telling him the next morning after coaching the only witness all night.

:rolleyes

Nbadan
02-22-2006, 02:14 AM
Re: "Cheney finally talks, takes gun blame" (Thursday):

Because of Vice President Dick "Friendly Fire" Cheney's obvious impairment of the ability to recognize or identify familiar objects while under stress, I believe it was a perceptive draft board that excused him from military service during the Vietnam War.

- Al A. Walsh,
Del Rio

Now Mr. Walsh, that's just not nice. Cheney was of military age and a supporter of the Vietnam War but he did not serve in the war, applying for and receiving five draft deferments. On May 19, 1965, Cheney was classified as 1-A "available for service" by the Selective Service. On October 26, 1965 the Selective Service lifted the constraints on drafting childless married men. However, after his daughter was born, Cheney applied for and received a reclassification of 3-A, gaining him a final draft deferment. Asked about his deferments, the future Defense Secretary said he had "other priorities" than fighting overseas.

Nbadan
02-22-2006, 02:23 AM
Dick Cheney says, "It was one of the worst days of my life."

Well, it wasn't exactly a banner day for poor Mr. Whittington, either!

- Lois C. Hughes

Don't be too sure. That's old-school, Texas conservative blood flowing through Whittington's viens. Whittington probably bled red, white and blue and has already wiggled his way into the UAE port deal.

Nbadan
02-22-2006, 03:37 AM
http://www.bartcop.com/tom-simple-an.jpg

Mr. Peabody
02-22-2006, 09:36 AM
This is a good idea. Sometimes I read the editorials and I am amazed by the comments to which people will attach their names.

At least in this forum most people aren't using their real names.

Mr. Peabody
02-22-2006, 09:42 AM
This accident occurred on private property. Dick Cheney was on his own time, hunting with personal friends.

Hunting mishaps can happen to anyone whether you're the vice president or an everyday citizen. This is a man's personal matter, and he should be shown respect because of the situation with his friend Harry Whittington. It's nobody's business but Cheney's and Whittington's.

Cheney is a public official, and not just any public official -- he's the Vice-President of the most powerful country on Earth. If he shoots someone in the face, I think it is newsworthy.

With all the other crap that CNN and FoxNews report on (e.g. Brittany with baby in lap), I don't see how this incident is not important enough for the news.