PDA

View Full Version : Spurs and Sprewell??

ploto
02-22-2006, 02:12 AM
...While the Spurs can only sign Thomas if the Bulls release him, there is one notable swingman still available on the free-agent market: Latrell Sprewell.

Popovich had a good relationship with Sprewell when both were in Golden State. When the Spurs discussed trying to trade for Sprewell three summers ago, assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo said he would have no problem reuniting with the player who choked him.

"He's a fantastic competitor," Popovich said. "We've talked about him, and he's somebody I've thought about for a long time. But at this point we're not sure if taking on another person even makes sense or if he'd even be willing to do something like that."

Horry out: One reason the Spurs might try to add another player is their concern over Robert Horry's health.

Horry's hip was bothering him after Tuesday morning's shootaround, scrapping Popovich's plan to play him against Seattle.

The Spurs think Horry's hip injury is related to the lower abdominal strain that has limited him to four games since Jan. 16.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022206.8C.BKNspurs.notebook.12d9861e.html

SenorSpur
02-22-2006, 02:17 AM
Adding Spree would create a logjam at the swing spot, with Barry, Finley and Gino.

PM5K
02-22-2006, 02:25 AM
Spree can play forward..

T-Pain
02-22-2006, 02:29 AM
i forgot all about sprewell. i think he could be a great contributor, but im afraid he'll cause some problems.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-22-2006, 02:36 AM
Screw Spree, didn't he screw over PJ in Minnesota?

Despot
02-22-2006, 02:49 AM
He had said that if he can not find a team willing to pay him what he wanted, he would think about signing with a contender for the vet min later in the season.

Despot
02-22-2006, 02:50 AM

They kissed and made up.

milkyway21
02-22-2006, 03:04 AM
He had said that if he can not find a team willing to pay him what he wanted, he would think about signing with a contender for the vet min later in the season.then, let's not add another player before trading deadline. If Horry's abdominal strain and hip's not better at the start of the playoffs, sign Spree for a 10-day contract, then if he shows some positive help for the team extend for another 10-days. Just like Big Dogg.

or is this a bad idea? :rolleyes

SenorSpur
02-22-2006, 03:05 AM

Yes he did. Let him try and feed his family by other means.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 03:06 AM
Spree wouldn't roll out of bed for a 10-day.

Despot
02-22-2006, 03:13 AM
then, let's not add another player before trading deadline. If Horry's abdominal strain and hip's not better at the start of the playoffs, sign Spree for a 10-day contract, then if he shows some positive help for the team extend for another 10-days. Just like Big Dogg.

or is this a bad idea? :rolleyes

I really can't see spree signing a 10 day contract, that would be beneath him.
I'm sure a few teams would offer him the vet min. anyway, not sure if the contenders would though. I'm not saying I want him, but if we do sign someone else, Thomas and Spree are not bad choices.

The attractive thing about Spree, is that he would give us someone with an edge, something I think we need.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-22-2006, 03:24 AM
I really can't see spree signing a 10 day contract, that would be beneath him.
I'm sure a few teams would offer him the vet min. anyway, not sure if the contenders would though. I'm not saying I want him, but if we do sign someone else, Thomas and Spree are not bad choices.

The attractive thing about Spree, is that he would give us someone with an edge, something I think we need.

By edge, I think you mean Idiot

mikejones99
02-22-2006, 03:47 AM
Detroit or Dallas should sign him, they need bench help.

T-Pain
02-22-2006, 04:06 AM
i completley forgot about spree. i wonder what hes doing right now

KEDA
02-22-2006, 05:55 AM
BTW it was in Golden State where Spree CHOKED P J.

absolutley not!

NO WAY!!!

I would be areiously pissed if Spree came here, he is a piece of shit that ruined the locker room of Minnesota, and I dont want that here, 10 day contract or not.

smeagol
02-22-2006, 06:10 AM
3 . . . 2 . . .1 seconds to sequ´s "Lets get Spree, he is a stud!"

ducks
02-22-2006, 07:53 AM
spree>>>>>>>>>>>>>barry

ObiwanGinobili
02-22-2006, 08:26 AM
Spree wouldn't roll out of bed for a 10-day.

Mr. Unemployed can kiss my ass.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
02-22-2006, 08:29 AM
Is Spree even trainning? How is his physical condition?

Joepa
02-22-2006, 09:29 AM
I don't think Spree is a bad guy. Sure, he has a big mouth, overvalues his skills, and choked a coach once. But, he's regarded as an otherwise good teammate who plays hard and contributes.

He was pretty dern good on those TWolves teams.

alamo50
02-22-2006, 09:37 AM
:rolleyes

WalterBenitez
02-22-2006, 09:37 AM
How much could SPurs offer him, you know ... he have a family

Sportman
02-22-2006, 09:39 AM
I think he could create troubles inside this team. All people know about his bad behavior and that´s something for any team if they want to get a championship. Besides spurs in that position has a lot of players, barry, manu, finley. I think spurs doesnt need another players.

Peter
02-22-2006, 09:45 AM
Considering that the Spurs are carrying only 4 swings, adding Spree wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd prefer Thomas, but Spurs fans need to get off their high horse, for lack of a better term.

Spree and Pop have a mutual admiration society that goes back to Spree's rookie year. Pop's tried to get him in a Spurs uniform for damn near a decade now. Spree's not going to ruin team chemistry, much like adding Glenn Robinson and Nick Van Exel did not.

If Spree's down with taking the vet min and sporadic minutes for the rest of the season, welcome.

MoSpur
02-22-2006, 10:05 AM
I really don't know how I would feel if Spree came to town. It doesn't matter though. The Spurs front office are going to do what they feel will benefit the team. If adding Spree benefits the team, I am all for it. I think we have plenty of bigs that do a good job. I don't think Tim Thomas would do too much for our team. I honestly think that Spree would help now that I think about it.

pache100
02-22-2006, 10:15 AM
We don't need that kind of trouble...Sprewell is just another

http://i1.tinypic.com/oa81ur.gif

Joepa
02-22-2006, 10:16 AM
I don't know how we would afford Tim Thomas. He's got a 13m+ contract, if I recall correctly.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-22-2006, 10:19 AM
Mr. Unemployed can kiss my ass.

I think he'd have to take a number, judging from the pic :lol

It couldn't hurt the Spurs to pick up someone capable of playing some minutes at the 3.

Peter
02-22-2006, 10:21 AM
I don't know how we would afford Tim Thomas. He's got a 13m+ contract, if I recall correctly.

If he's waived, his price becomes much less.

nkdlunch
02-22-2006, 10:22 AM
fuck him. there is a reason why he's still jobless

Peter
02-22-2006, 10:23 AM
There was a reason why Glenn Robinson was out of a job too.

midgetonadonkey
02-22-2006, 10:24 AM
Fuck Spree and bring back Big Dog.

ObiwanGinobili
02-22-2006, 10:25 AM
I think he'd have to take a number, judging from the pic :lol

It couldn't hurt the Spurs to pick up someone capable of playing some minutes at the 3.

what ever + he may give us on court would be cancelled out an run over by the - he would give us in the lockeroom (re: morale, attitude, etc etc)

he's far from DRobesque> I'm not expecting every Spur to be exactly like DRob.. but at least our current players are within sight of those standards. Sprechokewell would need 5 days and a map.

Peter
02-22-2006, 10:28 AM
what ever + he may give us on court would be cancelled out an run over by the - he would give us in the lockeroom (re: morale, attitude, etc etc)

How do you know? Glenn Robinson was supposedly a malcontent. Ditto for Van Exel. PS...DRob was down with Spree coming to SA back in the day after he massaged PJ's neck.

he's far from DRobesque> I'm not expecting every Spur to be exactly like DRob.. but at least our current players are within sight of those standards. Sprechokewell would need 5 days and a map.

NVE is a choir boy?

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-22-2006, 10:31 AM
BTW it was in Golden State where Spree CHOKED P J.

Supposedly, Spree talked negatively to Garnett about PJ, and thats one of the reasons PJ wasn't hired in Minnesota.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-22-2006, 10:43 AM

he's far from DRobesque> I'm not expecting every Spur to be exactly like DRob.. but at least our current players are within sight of those standards. Sprechokewell would need 5 days and a map

Everyone said the same things about:

Stephen Jackson
Glenn Robinson
Nick Van Exel

Two got rings and the third's working on it :/

Peter
02-22-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm also not that clear on why Spurs fans continue to hold every player to the DRob standard. DRob was pals with Rocket Rod during and after his stint in SA, for example. It's also not like any of the Spurs' big 3 have a squeaky clean personal life, if you want to hold them to that standard. All 3 have had live in girlfriends, for example.

nkdlunch
02-22-2006, 11:11 AM
There was a reason why Glenn Robinson was out of a job too.

bigdogg was a bench warmer. Why the hell would we get Spree for this kind of job when we could get a guy who would be actually useful.

we would just be giving him a free championship ring w/front row seats to the finals. fuck that he don't deserve that

Peter
02-22-2006, 11:14 AM
bigdogg was a bench warmer. Why the hell would we get Spree for this kind of job when we could get a guy who would be actually useful.

If Thomas isn't available, what's left?

we would just be giving him a free championship ring w/front row seats to the finals. fuck that he don't deserve that

Glenn Robinson was worthwhile in SA. He certainly came in handy in the Denver series as well as Game 1 of the Finals last postseason.

nkdlunch
02-22-2006, 11:20 AM
if by worthwile you mean a body w/6 fouls to give yes he was. there are many players that could do that job. we don't necesarily need sprewell for that. fuck him.

pache100
02-22-2006, 11:34 AM
It's also not like any of the Spurs' big 3 have a squeaky clean personal life, if you want to hold them to that standard. All 3 have had live in girlfriends, for example.

LIVE IN GIRLFRIENDS?????? How does that make you a bad person or a troublemaker?

YIKES! We all in trouble!

Joepa
02-22-2006, 11:43 AM
That's why it's hard to compare to DRob because he was the ultimate definition of squeaky clean.

Streakyshooter08
02-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Sorry if it has already been asked but when is the deadline teams can sign players for the playoffs? Thanks...

Peter
02-22-2006, 11:55 AM
LIVE IN GIRLFRIENDS?????? How does that make you a bad person or a troublemaker?

YIKES! We all in trouble!

Well, that's the point. If we want to start expecting every Spur to be a saint then plenty have fallen short. Maybe we should get rid of them.

Peter
02-22-2006, 11:55 AM
Sorry if it has already been asked but when is the deadline teams can sign players for the playoffs? Thanks...

March 1st, I believe.

Peter
02-22-2006, 11:56 AM
That's why it's hard to compare to DRob because he was the ultimate definition of squeaky clean.

Well, then perhaps Spurs fans should stop expecting every player to meet that.

Peter
02-22-2006, 11:57 AM
if by worthwile you mean a body w/6 fouls to give yes he was. there are many players that could do that job. we don't necesarily need sprewell for that. fuck him.

He brought more than 6 fouls in those games, as well as provided scoring in some late regular season games.

You never know when injuries might hit in the postseason. I'd rather that Pop had a Spree on his bench than an empty seat.

Streakyshooter08
02-22-2006, 12:23 PM
March 1st, I believe.

Thanks!

pache100
02-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Well, that's the point. If we want to start expecting every Spur to be a saint then plenty have fallen short. Maybe we should get rid of them.

You're way off base. Living with your girlfriend is a far cry from trying to kill your coach by choking him.

LIVE IN GIRLFREINDS?

cheguevara
02-22-2006, 01:12 PM
It's also not like any of the Spurs' big 3 have a squeaky clean personal life, if you want to hold them to that standard. All 3 have had live in girlfriends, for example.

:lmao :lmao what are you, 95 years old or something?

pache100
02-22-2006, 01:13 PM
:lmao :lmao what are you, 95 years old or something?

Exactly!

:blah :lol :drunk

rayray2k8
02-22-2006, 01:15 PM
I think we have plenty of swing men to go around.. so i say no to spree..

ObiwanGinobili
02-22-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm also not that clear on why Spurs fans continue to hold every player to the DRob standard. DRob was pals with Rocket Rod during and after his stint in SA, for example. It's also not like any of the Spurs' big 3 have a squeaky clean personal life, if you want to hold them to that standard. All 3 have had live in girlfriends, for example.

ok.
now your jumping of fthe deepend.
a live in girlfriend is nothing comapred to choking your coach.. not once but 2 times within 30 minutes... and punching him.

ObiwanGinobili
02-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Stephen Jackson
Glenn Robinson
Nick Van Exel

These guys reps are nothing compared to Ron Artest.
even added together.

I firmly believe that Ron's bad mojo is enough to smother all the good mojo we have going on. ie; Rodman

Where as our good mojo more than compensated & infact converted the 3 bad mojo's mentioned.

Despot
02-22-2006, 01:25 PM
These guys reps are nothing compared to Ron Artest.
even added together.

I firmly believe that Ron's bad mojo is enough to smother all the good mojo we have going on. ie; Rodman

Where as our good mojo more than compensated & infact converted the 3 bad mojo's mentioned.

Wow, it took 3 pages for someone to mention Artest. Did you mean to mention him??

ObiwanGinobili
02-22-2006, 01:26 PM
Wow, it took 3 pages for someone to mention Artest. Did you mean to mention him??

LOL!
I meant to say Spreewell & Artest but I'm thinking faster then I'm typing and I'm also nursing the baby at the same time.....

so things get muddled. :lol

Despot
02-22-2006, 01:27 PM
LOL!
I meant to say Spreewell & Artest but I'm thinking faster then I'm typing and I'm also nursing the baby at the same time.....

so things get muddled. :lol

:drool

Despot
02-22-2006, 01:37 PM
:drool at the thought of getting Sprewell and Artest, not the nursing thing. :oops

Just had a flash of what having them would have been like. For some reason alot of people think Spre has no talent left.

KEDA
02-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Im sorry, I just cant see Spree in the silver and black.

I was all for Big Dog, and was a huge Sjax fan when he was here, but Spree is a piece of trash compared to those two.

I would be seriously unhappy if we signed Latrene to a contract, even a contract like Big Dog had.

texasqb2
02-22-2006, 04:07 PM
I love how everyone is saying NOT to sign Spree to the VET MIN b/c he would cause problems. Hell anyone with Spree's resume, you'd be stupid not to offer the vet min to. What do we have to lose? If he complains or causes trouble, put him on IR or tell him to go home. I can't believe some of you are not all over signing Spree or Thomas. Get some basketball sense.

MoSpur
02-22-2006, 04:11 PM
I love how everyone is saying NOT to sign Spree to the VET MIN b/c he would cause problems. Hell anyone with Spree's resume, you'd be stupid not to offer the vet min to. What do we have to lose? If he complains or causes trouble, put him on IR or tell him to go home. I can't believe some of you are not all over signing Spree or Thomas. Get some basketball sense.

My thoughts exactly. Its not like the Spurs are going to offer him a multi-year deal. If (key word) the Spurs sign him, it will be for the remainder of the year. Thats it.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-22-2006, 04:19 PM

Are you the GM for the Portland Trailblazers with all that basketball sense?

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Spree wouldn't be a problem. He loves Pop and knows what to expect from him.

Howevah.

He's completely superfluous at this point. Had we not gotten Finley we might have picked him up long ago, but not now.

Mixability
02-22-2006, 04:24 PM
All 3 have had live in girlfriends, for example.

:lmao

OH NO, NOT LIVE IN GIRLFRIENDS!!!!!

:pctoss

:lol

texasqb2
02-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Are you the GM for the Portland Trailblazers with all that basketball sense?

well explain to me how signing Spree to the vet min is bad.

Rescueone
02-22-2006, 04:28 PM

Exactly my thought!! Would everyone want him to go to...let's say Dallas and do some damage to the Spurs in the second round? Just by getting him off the market helps the Spurs people! Wise Up! Besides, Barry isn't actually having a good year. He has done about the same as Spree this year for the Spurs (not a damn thing)! Manu is still hurting, Horry isn't playing and Finley and Nick aren't living up to their potential. It's a no-brainer to me! If Spree comes in and contributes right away, everyone will forget his past. If he comes in and acts up, he goes on IR. It makes perfect sense to me!
The Spurs bench could use a shot in the arm. Not scoring for 10-15 mins is getting old, and so is going 2 for 17. Spree can light it up! Just what the Spurs are missing off the bench. Get it done!

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-22-2006, 04:30 PM

Spurs need a Long 3, not another 2 guard. Plus I'm sure that if he'd sign for the Vet min, he'd already be on a roster, this guy cares more about $$ than winning a championship.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Exactly my thought!! Would everyone want him to go to...let's say Dallas and do some damage to the Spurs in the second round? Just by getting him off the market helps the Spurs people! Wise Up! Besides, Barry isn't actually having a good year. He has done about the same as Spree this year for the Spurs (not a damn thing)! Manu is still hurting, Horry isn't playing and Finley and Nick aren't living up to their potential. It's a no-brainer to me! If Spree comes in and contributes right away, everyone will forget his past. If he comes in and acts up, he goes on IR. It makes perfect sense to me!
The Spurs bench could use a shot in the arm. Not scoring for 10-15 mins is getting old, and so is going 2 for 17. Spree can light it up! Just what the Spurs are missing off the bench. Get it done!

I would love for him to go to Dallas, let him be their problem and not ours.

cheguevara
Spurs need a Long 3, not another 2 guard. Plus I'm sure that if he'd sign for the Vet min, he'd already be on a roster, this guy cares more about $$ than winning a championship.

bingo. Horry is hurt, we need a body in case he can play limited minutes. I'm not even sure we even gonna use Finley in the playoffs, so Spree is out of the question. Plus if we were to get a championship, I don't wanna see Spree get one he is a materialistic piece of shit.

pache100

Let's see...how to simplify this...ok, here goes....

WE-----DON'T-----NEED-----HIM!

We don't need his drama. We don't need his violence. We don't need his disruption. We don't need his diahrea mouth. We surely don't need his hungry family. And, most of all, we don't even need his rusty skills right now. Sprewell has not played at all this year. He would not be worth the investment of money or time the Spurs would have to put into him, even if I thought he would not upset the chemistry of this team to the point of distraction.

In a perfect world in a perfect situation, maybe...but poor old Spre is not perfect by a long shot. It's not worth the risk to me.

:tu

Let Avery find somebody to cornrow his hair.

Joepa
02-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Surprised Isaiah hasn't signed this guy to a max contract.

Dunc
02-22-2006, 04:32 PM
No way in hell will the Spurs sign him. Neither will the Pistons. The Mavs might. Wouldn't hurt to be 11-deep, right?

cheguevara
02-22-2006, 04:33 PM
We should take DRob out of retirement just for the playoffs.

boutons_
02-22-2006, 04:35 PM
Spree is finished. The Spree now is not the Spree of the 90s. He would add nothing to the Spurs or anybody else.

MoSpur
02-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Let's see...how to simplify this...ok, here goes....

We don't need his drama. We don't need his violence. We don't need his disruption. We don't need his diahrea mouth. We surely don't need his hungry family. And, most of all, we don't even need his rusty skills right now. Sprewell has not played at all this year. He would not be worth the investment of money or time the Spurs would have to put into him, even if I thought he would not upset the chemistry of this team to the point of distraction.

In a perfect world in a perfect situation, maybe...but poor old Spre is not perfect by a long shot. It's not worth the risk to me.

Let Avery find somebody to cornrow his hair.

Calm down. How is signing Spree for the rest of the season a risk? If he acts up you sit him. He if plays really good...well...good. Don't make it complicated. The Spurs front office is smart and won't sign him if they felt he would hurt the team.

pache100
02-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Calm down. How is signing Spree for the rest of the season a risk? If he acts up you sit him. He if plays really good...well...good. Don't make it complicated. The Spurs front office is smart and won't sign him if they felt he would hurt the team.

I wasn't talking to you and I don't need to calm down. I was answering a direct question and I made my point. I don't have anything else to say about it, I gave my reasons. We disagree. Let it go.

Peter
02-22-2006, 04:40 PM
If Spurs fans think living in sin isn't a big deal, their hypocrisy is even moreso. Think DRob's down with that?

It never fails, Spurs fans freak out about a player because he has a less than sterling rep, yet after he becomes a Spur then he's as pure as the driven snow.

Peter
02-22-2006, 04:40 PM
ok.
now your jumping of fthe deepend.
a live in girlfriend is nothing comapred to choking your coach.. not once but 2 times within 30 minutes... and punching him.

Pop's cool with it. I guess he's lacking class too, eh?

Rescueone
02-22-2006, 04:41 PM

No, he would be the Spurs problem one way or the other! He would light it up against our second team if he were to go to Dallas! Don't you get it? You want to lose to Dallas in the second round?

cheguevara
02-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Sprewel would be useful for only 1 thing. hooking up our boys's rides :rolleyes
http://www.arluckpromotions.com/images/sprewell.312.jpg

cheguevara
02-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Pop's cool with it. I guess he's lacking class too, eh?

maybe Pop needs a good deal on rims

MoSpur
02-22-2006, 04:43 PM
I wasn't talking to you and I don't need to calm down. I was answering a direct question and I made my point. I don't have anything else to say about it, I gave my reasons. We disagree. Let it go.

I think you are talking to me when you post here because I can read it. Anyway, you're right we disagree and no big deal.

ObiwanGinobili
02-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Really.
quote where Pop said :"I'm cool with Spree choking PJ. It's all good". link please.
Pop may be a spree fan, and he may be friendly with him. But I doubt he approved of that particular incident. You can disagree with a friends behavior. It's possible.

pache100
02-22-2006, 04:46 PM
If Spurs fans think living in sin isn't a big deal, their hypocrisy is even moreso. Think DRob's down with that?

Yeah, I think he is. I have never heard him judge anyone for their living situation. I think he pretty much leaves the judging of morals stuff up to God. True Christians do.

It never fails, Spurs fans freak out about a player because he has a less than sterling rep, yet after he becomes a Spur then he's as pure as the driven snow.

Not liking someone because they think they've watched them for years and think are trouble (or for any other reason) is far from "freaking out because he has a less than sterling reputation". As for thinking any of the Spurs are "pure as the driven snow"...I have never heard anyone here say that. Link?

Vashner
02-22-2006, 04:48 PM
I don't think it will happen. We don't need him.

Peter
02-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Really.
quote where Pop said :"I'm cool with Spree choking PJ. It's all good". link please.
Pop may be a spree fan, and he may be friendly with him. But I doubt he approved of that particular incident. You can disagree with a friends behavior. It's possible.

Pop tried to get him at least 3 times after that incident. Apparently he's not too worked up about it.

Peter
02-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Not liking someone because they think they've watched them for years and think are trouble (or for any other reason) is far from "freaking out because he has a less than sterling reputation". As for thinking any of the Spurs are "pure as the driven snow"...I have never heard anyone here say that. Link?

Yeah, your post.

Rescueone
02-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Who's on the market as a long three can we get? Wasn't Evans on our summer league team?

pache100
02-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Yeah, your post.

Which one specifically? I have NEVER said nor insinuated any Spur was "pure as the driven snow".

(for the record, your remark didn't make sense anyway)

cheguevara
02-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Which one specifically? I have NEVER said nor insinuated any Spur was "pure as the driven snow".

that's typical Peter response, translation is: I'm hallucinating again

ObiwanGinobili
"apparently".

so if your intrested in signing a player then you are automatically A++ 100% in agreement with all of thier past actions??

I know Pop has wanted Spree. That does not infer that he is "cool with" Spree choking PJ. I think the only person who thought that was a good idea was Spree.
Pop has just let it go. As has PJ.

pache100

I want to know what he's talking about. I have never said that, never read that. If he says I have, he's lying.

Peter
02-22-2006, 04:52 PM
"apparently".

so if your intrested in siginging a favor then you are automatically A++ 100% in agreement with all of thier past actions??

I know Pop has wanted Spree. That does not infer that he is "cool with" Spree choking PJ. I think the only person who thought that was a good idea was Spree.
Pop has just let it go. As has PJ.

Wha? I just said that it's not an item that apparently did not lead Pop to not want to bring him in. Fairly clear, I thought.

ObiwanGinobili
02-22-2006, 04:53 PM
I want to know what he's talking about. I have never said that, never read that. If he says I have, he's lying.

I'm starting to think he extrapolates what he thinks you mean from what you actually post to better fit how he would like to respond.

Peter

As opposed to your typical non-response and hanging on my nuts at every turn.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
No, he would be the Spurs problem one way or the other! He would light it up against our second team if he were to go to Dallas! Don't you get it? You want to lose to Dallas in the second round?

If Latrell Spreewell is the guy who beats you, I have a feeling you weren't meant to win a championship anyways

ObiwanGinobili
02-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Wha? I just said that it's not an item that apparently did not lead Pop to not want to bring him in. Fairly clear, I thought.

you said Pop was cool with it. And then insinuated thaqt I thought that made him low class.
Even tho class had never been mentioned in this discussion earlier or since.

Peter
I'm starting to think he extrapolates what he thinks you mean from what you actually post to better fit how he would like to respond.

You and your cohorts have claimed that because of Spree's "baggage" the Spurs shouldn't bring him in.

ObiwanGinobili
If Latrell Spreewell is the guy who beats you, I have a feeling you weren't meant to win a championship anyways

:lmao
quote worthy. :fro

pache100
02-22-2006, 04:55 PM

I think you just hit the nail on the head.

Note to self: Update "Ignore" list.

ObiwanGinobili
You and your cohorts have claimed that because of Spree's "baggage" the Spurs shouldn't bring him in.

yes.
I am not Pop.
<------------------- see? no pock marks.

Peter
you said Pop was cool with it. And then insinuated thaqt I thought that made him low class.
Even tho class had never been mentioned in this discussion earlier or since.

Again, apparently Pop doesn't have a problem with what he did in the past.

ObiwanGinobili
And Pop is not every player on our team.

Peter
yes.
I am not Pop.
<------------------- see? no pock marks.

Right. Who's the head coach?

pache100
02-22-2006, 04:56 PM

http://i1.tinypic.com/oaros0.gif

Peter
And Pop is not every player on our team.

Right. He just happens to coach them, have a significant say in who he coaches and he used to be GM.

Peter
I think you just hit the nail on the head.

Note to self: Update "Ignore" list.

When you can't respond...

cheguevara
02-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Right. Who's the head coach?

who's the head case? (spree)

Peter
02-22-2006, 04:58 PM
who's the head case? (spree)

Pop doesn't seem to think that's so.

pache100
02-22-2006, 04:58 PM
When you can't respond...

I DID respond. You are the one who cannot give me a link to your quote of what I did not say.

Pop doesn't seem to think that's so.

Ay-yi-yi...it's a freakin' broken record.

And, now...I'm going to the control panel.

cheguevara
02-22-2006, 04:59 PM
of course pop is not gonna admit that on national media!! duh get real

Bruno
I don't want Spree.
I rather have Beno or Barry at the end of the bench than Spree.

Peter
I DID respond. You are the one who cannot give me a link to your quote of what I did not say.

And, now...I'm going to the control panel.

Adios, baby.

Peter
02-22-2006, 05:00 PM
of course pop is not gonna admit that on national media!! duh get real

Pop's tried to trade for him.

cheguevara
02-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Pop's tried to trade for him.

well sorry to disapoint u but Spree won't be in a Spur uniform now or ever.

Peter
02-22-2006, 05:02 PM
well sorry to disapoint u but Spree won't be in a Spur uniform now or ever.

Now he doesn't even have to trade for him.

Rescueone
02-22-2006, 05:06 PM

Let's just hope those words don't come back to bite the Spurs in the Ass in the second round! Spree is a true scorer! Even if he hasn't played this year, he's well rested and waiting for a team to call. He'll light it up once he gets on the floor! It's not like Barry has done anything. Barry can't play D, and he can't score, and makes millions to sit his ass on the bench. He should give back his salary for doing nothing all year! He has robbed the team!

cheguevara
02-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Spree is a true scorer! Even if he hasn't played this year, he's well rested and waiting for a team to call. He'll light it up once he gets on the floor!

:lmao :lmao good stuff

Rescueone
02-22-2006, 05:14 PM
:lmao :lmao good stuff

Do you know BBall?

cheguevara
02-22-2006, 05:19 PM
no, but I know comedy and your stuff is great :lol

Rescueone
02-22-2006, 05:22 PM
no, but I know comedy and your stuff is great :lol
Then you're in the wrong forum and you can't comment on something you don't know shit about!

Kori Ellis
02-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Pop has tried to get Spree every time that he's been available over the years. He'll likely continue to do so. If they can't land Tim Thomas, I can imagine Spree here for the minimum (if he'll take it).

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Let's just hope those words don't come back to bite the Spurs in the Ass in the second round! Spree is a true scorer! Even if he hasn't played this year, he's well rested and waiting for a team to call. He'll light it up once he gets on the floor! It's not like Barry has done anything. Barry can't play D, and he can't score, and makes millions to sit his ass on the bench. He should give back his salary for doing nothing all year! He has robbed the team!

And this season he's still done a whole lot more than Spree. Kinda makes you go hmmmmmm??

cheguevara
02-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Then you're in the wrong forum and you can't comment on something you don't know shit about!

u either. go do stand up or someshit

Rescueone
02-22-2006, 05:29 PM
And this season he's still done a whole lot more than Spree. Kinda makes you go hmmmmmm??

No the Spurs should go hmmmmmmmmm

Rescueone
02-22-2006, 05:33 PM
u either. go do stand up or someshit
O.K. I will give it a try.....in the mean time tune into the Ticket 760 A.M. Pop is coming on to talk about this topic in a few minutes. I guess we'll see who knows what in a matter of minutes

Peter
02-22-2006, 05:38 PM
While we're on the subject of current Spurs as fine upstanding citizens...

The league on Wednesday slapped Nick Van Exel with a seven-game suspension and an NBA-record $25,000 fine for the incident during the Nuggets' 98-91 victory Tuesday. Van Exel shoved referee Ron Garretson onto the scorer's table following Van Exel's second technical foul. The ejection carries an additional, automatic fine of $1,000. Van Exel was arguing a call with Garretson during a timeout and received a technical foul with 3:23 left in the game. Van Exel argued briefly near the scorer's table and was slapped with a second technical, calling for an automatic ejection. Van Exel began to walk away from Garretson, but then suddenly turned back and pushed the referee onto the scorer's table. Johnson stepped between the two and held Garretson while Van Exel was restrained by a team official.

source (http://www.cracksmoker.com/NBA/NBA%20Van%20ExelN.htm)

Firstar Bank has sued Denver Nuggets guard Nick Van Exel, saying he fraudulently claimed he couldn't afford to pay his $19,000 credit-card balance.

The former University of Cincinnati standout, who signed a $50 million contract with the Nuggets last year, refused to comment. He referred questions to his lawyer, Scott Boatman, who said Friday that the issue is “largely a misunderstanding.”

“We are close to working this out and I anticipate it being done by next week,” Mr. Boatman said.

The suit, filed Friday in Hamilton County Common Pleas Court, alleges that a representative claimed Mr. Van Exel “lacked the financial ability to make full payment” on the $19,000 balance on his platinum Visa card.

A Firstar employee, unaware that Mr. Van Exel was a professional athlete, accepted a $12,000 check in settlement of the account.

The check was received Aug. 23, 20 days after Mr. Van Exel signed his Nuggets contract guaranteeing $50.5 million over five years.

The bank contends Mr. Van Exel's representative was obliged to inform it of Mr. Van Exel's position.

However, Mr. Boatman said that at the time of the settlement, Mr. Van Exel was still unsigned and had no way of knowing he would sign with any professional basketball team.

source (http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2000/03/04/loc_firstar_bank_takes.html)

Three other former Bearcats - Nick Van Exel, Damon Flint and Ruben Patterson - have also been accused of violence. Flint's case was dismissed, Patterson was not indicted by a grand jury, and Van Exel never faced charges, but his ex-girlfriend told Sports Illustrated that he grabbed her by the throat and threw her down when he was at Trinity Valley (Texas) Community College.

source (http://www.cincypost.com/sports/1998/viol082598.html)

nkdlunch
02-22-2006, 05:41 PM
NVE didn't try to choke his coach during practice + doesnt have the stupidest quote in NBA history "feed my children..."

NVE > Spree

MoSpur
02-22-2006, 05:43 PM
So is spree coming? When Pop jokes like the way he is now, it makes you think. That's the way he was when NVE came.

Peter
02-22-2006, 05:43 PM
NVE didn't try to choke his coach during practice + doesnt have the stupidest quote in NBA history "feed my children..."

NVE > Spree

Right. He just body checked a ref into the scorer's table and tried to choke an ex gf. Then, of course, there's Cancun...

Rescueone
02-22-2006, 05:51 PM
So is spree coming? When Pop jokes like the way he is now, it makes you think. That's the way he was when NVE came.
I know, I bet he's on his way for his physical by now!

MoSpur
02-22-2006, 05:57 PM

I doubt it, but it sounds fishy.

timvp
02-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Most people who have followed the Spurs since before they were champions knows that Sprewell will one day be a Spur. It's just a matter of when. Spree is Pop's favorite player of all-time, so don't be stunned when the Spurs bring him in.

Would I sign Spree now? Of course.

Neither Finley nor Barry are exactly tearing it up. Giving them some competition can't hurt. Sprewell is a guy who will go out and play his hardest and isn't afraid to mix it up. You can't say that about Finley or Barry.

Spree :tu

Thomas :tu

The Spurs have been searching for The Long Three. Thomas is a picture perfect TLT.

:smokin

Budkin
02-22-2006, 06:15 PM
The way Pop was talking it sounds like Spree is coming.

Peter
02-22-2006, 06:18 PM
I like Thomas more at this point because the Spurs could use some size at the 3. Plus, he has good range on his shot, is athletic, is a good slasher and he's just now turning 29.

That being said, Spree wouldn't be a bad fit. The Spurs have a spot open in their roster for a 5th swing. Pop finally gets his man.

BigVee
02-22-2006, 06:21 PM
The more bodies to throw at Dirk and Howard, contest the McDeyss jumper, chase Rip around a screen, guard Billups in crunch time the better.

Peter
02-22-2006, 06:26 PM

If I had to guess, I'd say that Spree is on his way if the Spurs can't sign Thomas.

Peter
02-22-2006, 06:35 PM
I'd also guess that Thomas goes to NJ. He can get more minutes there and Kidd would help make him look good enough to start scaring up some serious $ in the offseason. He's only 29. Now's not the time in his career to start playing for championships on small contracts.

timvp
02-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Thomas would also be decent Horry insurance. If Horry isn't 100% in the playoffs, Thomas could fit a similar role in a pinch.

It's good to see that the Spurs realize they need another swingman. Although, they should have thought about this when they let Devin Brown walk. Right now they'd kill for a bench player who could hit shots and bring it defensively.

Peter
02-22-2006, 06:41 PM
Well, I guess the braintrust read the forum and decided that retaining Brown was simply a luxury.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 06:43 PM
True. The only thing we have going for us is Newman and a better chance at a ring. TT would automatically get Wright's spot in the rotation and then some.

texasqb2
02-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Thomas would also be decent Horry insurance. If Horry isn't 100% in the playoffs, Thomas could fit a similar role in a pinch.

It's good to see that the Spurs realize they need another swingman. Although, they should have thought about this when they let Devin Brown walk. Right now they'd kill for a bench player who could hit shots and bring it defensively.

Devin Brown blows, just ask the Jazz

Peter
02-22-2006, 06:47 PM
What the Spurs would likely offer Thomas would be the MLE for two seasons after this one and a short term big payday after that. I don't see the Spurs going long term on a deal for a role playing swing. Maybe they would opt to guarantee more if they projected him as the eventual starter.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 06:51 PM
I don't think Thomas' production in NY merited an MLE deal. Remember there is a slight possibility of buying out Scola this summer too. I suppose it would depend on TT's performance.

Peter
Devin Brown blows, just ask the Jazz

He's produced for them this season when he's gotten the minutes.

texasqb2
What the Spurs would likely offer Thomas would be the MLE for two seasons after this one and a short term big payday after that. I don't see the Spurs going long term on a deal for a role playing swing. Maybe they would opt to guarantee more if they projected him as the eventual starter.

I don't imagine Thomas or Spree getting a contract lasting longer than the end of the season. If they produce, they will get more money elsewhere, and I don't think we can off the MLE til Finley's contract runs out or Oberto's or however we used it.

texasqb2
02-22-2006, 06:53 PM
He's produced for them this season when he's gotten the minutes.

He's shooting under 30% from behind the arc, more TOs than assists, 7.7 a game and he's been starting (well 9 games).

leemajors
02-22-2006, 06:53 PM
I don't imagine Thomas or Spree getting a contract lasting longer than the end of the season. If they produce, they will get more money elsewhere, and I don't think we can off the MLE til Finley's contract runs out or Oberto's or however we used it.

i think we split the MLE this year, but you would have to ask Chump to be positive.

Peter
02-22-2006, 06:54 PM

Sure, the initial contract would only be for the remainder of this season.

The Spurs will have the MLE this coming offseason. Finley and Oberto's contracts run past this season. You don't lose the MLE if you used it last offseason. That's the LLE.

Kori Ellis
02-22-2006, 06:55 PM
He's shooting under 30% from behind the arc, more TOs than assists, 7.7 a game and he's been starting.

He rarely starts. He's only started 9 games all season. He averages 7.7 ppg in 20 minutes.

Peter
02-22-2006, 06:56 PM
He's shooting under 30% from behind the arc, more TOs than assists, 7.7 a game and he's been starting.

He just dropped 25 on the Lakers the game before last. He fit well in SA as the primary reserve swing. Damn well.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 06:56 PM
I think we're out of MLE this season - Finley and Oberto.

texasqb2
02-22-2006, 06:57 PM
He's shooting under 30% from behind the arc, more TOs than assists, 7.7 a game and he's been starting (well 9 games).

Here's a quote from John Hollinger's column.

Meanwhile, Brown left as a free agent for Utah but forgot to take his game with him. The 6-foot-5 swingman is shooting a career-low 39.8 percent and has nearly doubled his turnovers from a year ago in similar minutes. It's been so bad that he was passed over for a start this week in favor of Milt Palacio.

Peter
02-22-2006, 06:58 PM
I don't think Thomas' production in NY merited an MLE deal. Remember there is a slight possibility of buying out Scola this summer too. I suppose it would depend on TT's performance.

I don't know. It was pretty solid. Not star level but definitely not chopped liver. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch that a solid showing in the last couple of months of this season might tempt a GM to put some money into the 29 year old.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 06:59 PM
Looking at Devin's game log, he's been pretty sporatic no matter the minutes. He did fit in well here, but you don't give a guy $2.5 million for the express purpose of sitting on the IR for a season.

Peter
02-22-2006, 06:59 PM
I think we're out of MLE this season - Finley and Oberto.

True. I was trying to comprehend the post above about having to wait until their contracts ended or some such. Thomas or Sprewell would get the prorated vet min in SA.

Peter
02-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Looking at Devin's game log, he's been pretty sporatic no matter the minutes. He did fit in well here, but you don't give a guy $2.5 million for the express purpose of sitting on the IR for a season.

Well, compare how Brown performed when he was the backup swing versus what the Spurs have now.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 07:02 PM
I don't know. It was pretty solid. Not star level but definitely not chopped liver. It doesn't seem like much of a stretch that a solid showing in the last couple of months of this season might tempt a GM to put some money into the 29 year old.His production was on a definite skid. Again, I think the Spurs would give Tau another ring before calling TT's agent -- but as we both said it would depend on his performance.

Peter
02-22-2006, 07:03 PM
I think Tau's a lost cause for now. That buyout has 2 more years on it, IIRC.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Well, compare how Brown performed when he was the backup swing versus what the Spurs have now.Well, show me any free agent who was signed for $2.5 million with the express purpose of riding the IR.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 07:07 PM
I think Tau's a lost cause for now. That buyout has 2 more years on it, IIRC.But the biggest reason Tau took such a hard line on Scola was that they had to qualify to stay in Euroleague based in part on their performance this season. That has been accomplished.

Peter
02-22-2006, 07:08 PM
NJ does have the hometown thing going for it with Thomas too. Oh well, you never know. If Thomas fit in SA I don't think they balk at giving him a decent deal. Pop's wanted him before. He fits a need, etc.

Peter
02-22-2006, 07:09 PM
But the biggest reason Tau took such a hard line on Scola was that they had to qualify for Euroleague again based in part on their performance this season. That has been accomplished.

And they still have a deal with a $13.5 mil NBA escape clause. No rush.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 07:10 PM
And they still have a deal with a $13.5 mil NBA escape clause. No rush.But if they can get something now as opposed to nothing later -- who knows?

Peter
02-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Well, show me any free agent who was signed for $2.5 million with the express purpose of riding the IR.

They've paid guys more to go away.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 07:12 PM
They've paid guys more to go away.They were already under contract. If you can't think of a free agent signed for $2.5 million with the intent to ride the IR, just say so.

Peter
02-22-2006, 07:12 PM
But if they can get something now as opposed to nothing later -- who knows?

The now is that they have Scola still on their team. I can't see them moving too far off that figure. So Scola would still have to get a hefty deal from the Spurs, especially when taxes are considered.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 07:15 PM
The now is that they have Scola still on their team. I said it was a slight possibility.And they'll get no compensation when he leaves.
So Scola would still have to get a hefty deal from the Spurs, especially when taxes are considered. But you were just talking about a full MLE deal for Thomas. That would be pretty hefty as well.

Peter
02-22-2006, 07:16 PM
They were already under contract. If you can't think of a free agent signed for $2.5 million with the intent to ride the IR, just say so.

They've paid more to achieve their objectives in the past. They've signed players before to ride IR. Marks isn't usually sitting for cheap. Plus you have the option to play Brown and let someone else sit if the current cast isn't cutting it. Based on what I've seen this season, that's not too far fetched.

Peter
02-22-2006, 07:17 PM
And they'll get no compensation when he leaves.

Sure, but they have him now and 2 years left on that buyout. They can afford to wait a little. It's not like Scola can offer them $2 mil and be done with it.

But you were just talking about a full MLE deal for Thomas. That would be pretty hefty as well.

Yeah, for two seasons. Scola would need one past three.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 07:20 PM
They've paid more to achieve their objectives in the past. They've signed players before to ride IR.But they haven't signed a free agent for $2.5 million with the intent of sitting them on the IR. I couldn't find any team that has.
Marks isn't usually sitting for cheap.He absolutely is. The league pays half his salary for chrissakes.
Plus you have the option to play Brown and let someone else sit if the current cast isn't cutting it.So we IR the $5 million/yr man with 2 more years on his deal. Brilliant.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Sure, but they have him now and 2 years left on that buyout. They can afford to wait a little. It's not like Scola can offer them $2 mil and be done with it.How about 7? It's not like he's scheduled to make $14 million from Tau the next two seasons.
Yeah, for two seasons. Scola would need one past three.But you said you would promise TT a bigger payday after that. What would the tax consequences of that be?

Peter
02-22-2006, 07:24 PM
But they haven't signed a free agent for $2.5 million with the intent of sitting them on the IR.

Assuming the intent was there. Again, this season has shown why that might not have been so.

I couldn't find any team that has.He absolutely is.

So the Spurs are paying him to sit. The Spurs have paid guys more to leave.

The league pays half his salary for chrissakes.So we IR the $5 million/yr man with 2 more years on his deal. Brilliant.

Well, they've paid guys more to go away. Would you rather the Spurs had a player who was good enough to beat him for a rotational spot or not?

Peter
02-22-2006, 07:25 PM
How about 7? It's not like he's scheduled to make $14 million from Tau the next two seasons.

Unless someone comes up with the cash he's stuck there. Taxes plus buyout would wipe out about 75% of a MLE deal for 3 years, if not more.

But you said you would promise TT a bigger payday after that. What would the tax consequences of that be?

Promise? Feh, this is the NBA.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 07:30 PM
Assuming the intent was there.No one can tell me that anyone expected more than 4th swing spot for Devin. Considering we already had a $5 million man there, spending more made no sense.
So the Spurs are paying him to sit. The Spurs have paid guys more to leave.I understand you couldn't think of a free agent so signed. It's ok.
Would you rather the Spurs had a player who was good enough to beat him for a rotational spot or not?It's not what I want -- it's what makes sense. After Finley was signed, getting Devin for anything more than the minimum -- effectively having $10 million of salaries fighting for the fourth swing spot -- made no sense.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Unless someone comes up with the cash he's stuck there.So you've negotiated buyouts before? No one has ever taken a loan to pay one or paid in installments?
Promise? Feh, this is the NBA.You said you'd pay him more after the initial contract. Must not have been thinking about the tax then. I suppose real GMs would.

baseline bum
02-23-2006, 02:11 AM
I was willing to give Spree a second chance after the PJ incident, and he became one of my favorite players. However, there is no way I want him in San Antonio now after the way he wrecked the TimberWolves last season. Minny should have been a title contender, but he single-handedly ruined that team.

pache100
02-23-2006, 08:24 AM
I was willing to give Spree a second chance after the PJ incident, and he became one of my favorite players. However, there is no way I want him in San Antonio now after the way he wrecked the TimberWolves last season. Minny should have been a title contender, but he single-handedly ruined that team.

There's lots of kinds of "trouble"; Spre pretty much knows about and practices all of them.

boutons_
02-23-2006, 09:40 AM
Spree can't shoot for shit anymore. He's done.

No trade today is gonna fix Tim's PF.

WalterBenitez
02-23-2006, 10:39 AM
But the biggest reason Tau took such a hard line on Scola was that they had to qualify to stay in Euroleague based in part on their performance this season. That has been accomplished.

No Offense, but I think it was a mix of a stupid agent and youth of Scola

pache100
02-23-2006, 10:41 AM
No Offense, but I think it was a mix of a stupid agent and youth of Scola

http://i1.tinypic.com/ofmyh5.gif

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Thomas would be ideal, Sprewell wouldn't be the end of the world I guess, though I wouldn't want the Spurs to have anything to do with that dope finally getting a ring.

Despot
02-23-2006, 10:51 AM
Most people who have followed the Spurs since before they were champions knows that Sprewell will one day be a Spur. It's just a matter of when. Spree is Pop's favorite player of all-time, so don't be stunned when the Spurs bring him in.

Would I sign Spree now? Of course.

Neither Finley nor Barry are exactly tearing it up. Giving them some competition can't hurt. Sprewell is a guy who will go out and play his hardest and isn't afraid to mix it up. You can't say that about Finley or Barry.

Spree :tu

Thomas :tu

The Spurs have been searching for The Long Three. Thomas is a picture perfect TLT.

:smokin

You could not have said it better. The discussion should have ended with that.