PDA

View Full Version : Bulls' Thomas an option as trade deadline looms

Kori Ellis
02-22-2006, 04:12 AM
I know the part about Sprewell is in that other thread already.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022206.8C.BKNspurs.notebook.12d9861e.html

Spurs notebook: Bulls' Thomas an option as trade deadline looms

Web Posted: 02/22/2006 12:13 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

If the Spurs are going to make any roster changes, they appear more likely to sign a player instead of trade for one.

With the NBA's trade deadline arriving at 2 p.m. Thursday, the Spurs don't have any deals imminent, though they continue to explore their options. Among the possibilities is signing swingman Tim Thomas if Chicago decides to waive him.

Spurs assistant coach Don Newman has a good relationship with Thomas from their days in Milwaukee. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich also had tried to sign Thomas before he re-signed with the Bucks.

The Bulls acquired Thomas when they sent Eddy Curry to New York last summer, but he appeared in only three games. After Thomas complained more than once about his role, Chicago officials told him to spend the rest of the season at home in New Jersey while they worked to trade him.

Thomas is being paid $14 million this season, the final year of his contract.

The Spurs had success after signing Glenn Robinson late last season. Robinson, like Thomas, was not regarded as a hard worker or a defender, but did his best to fit in with the team.

While the Spurs can only sign Thomas if the Bulls release him, there is one notable swingman still available on the free-agent market: Latrell Sprewell.

Popovich had a good relationship with Sprewell when both were in Golden State. When the Spurs discussed trying to trade for Sprewell three summers ago, assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo said he would have no problem reuniting with the player who choked him.

"He's a fantastic competitor," Popovich said. "We've talked about him, and he's somebody I've thought about for a long time. But at this point we're not sure if taking on another person even makes sense or if he'd even be willing to do something like that."

Horry out: One reason the Spurs might try to add another player is their concern over Robert Horry's health.

Horry's hip was bothering him after Tuesday morning's shootaround, scrapping Popovich's plan to play him against Seattle.

The Spurs think Horry's hip injury is related to the lower abdominal strain that has limited him to four games since Jan. 16.

Swift back to Seattle: Robert Swift, the second-year center who had been impressive since joining Seattle's starting lineup 14 games ago, was injured in practice Monday and didn't attend Tuesday's game.

Swift, who suffered a displaced nasal fracture in a collision with teammate Reggie Evans, returned to Seattle, where he may need surgery to repair the fracture, coach Bob Hill said.

Rookie Johan Petro started in Swift's place. Hill said he wasn't sure how much time Swift will miss.

"It makes us smaller," Hill said, "but I don't have much choice."

Endorsement for Bowen: Spurs defensive standout Bruce Bowen has bothered Seattle shooting star Ray Allen over the past few seasons, to the point Allen has called Bowen a dirty player. But he endorsed Bowen's candidacy for the team USA Basketball is putting together for this summer's FIBA World Championships.

"Bruce can shoot and defend," Allen said. "It's definitely good for the team. It shows promise in us putting together a team, and not just the best players. If he can make the team he definitely can make it better. We need guys to fill roles and not worry about getting their shots."

angel_luv
02-22-2006, 06:13 AM
With the NBA's trade deadline arriving at 2 p.m. Thursday,

Whoosh-the trade season finishes earlier than I thought. :elephant

If the Spurs are going to make any roster changes, they appear more likely to sign a player instead of trade for one.

I like that strategy. I'm going to believe for that. :)

"Spreewell's a fantastic competitor," Popovich said. "We've talked about him, and he's somebody I've thought about for a long time. But at this point we're not sure if taking on another person even makes sense or if he'd even be willing to do something like that."

CIA quote?

And Spree? Seriously?

Despot
02-22-2006, 01:48 PM
I did not want to oipen a new thread since this is just a worthless ESPN reporters advice, but I thought it should be posted, so here it goes. Insider, so you may not be able to go to the link.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&id=2339268

Beno Udrih, Spurs: Udrih has played well when he's had chances, but if the Spurs don't trust him in tight spots -- and based on how many minutes Nick Van Exel has played, they don't -- they'd have to listen if somebody called. Depending on its assets, a team might tempt San Antonio by offering either addition (a cheap big man to supplement the Spurs rotation) or subtraction (taking on Rasho Nesterovic's contract). And check out Udrih's per-minute numbers --18.6 points and 8.6 assists per 40 minutes. For a point guard-needy team such as Atlanta, Minnesota or the Lakers, that's tough production to ignore

Taladro
02-22-2006, 02:04 PM
I did not want to oipen a new thread since this is just a worthless ESPN reporters advice, but I thought it should be posted, so here it goes. Insider, so you may not be able to go to the link.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&id=2339268

Beno Udrih, Spurs: Udrih has played well when he's had chances, but if the Spurs don't trust him in tight spots -- and based on how many minutes Nick Van Exel has played, they don't -- they'd have to listen if somebody called. Depending on its assets, a team might tempt San Antonio by offering either addition (a cheap big man to supplement the Spurs rotation) or subtraction (taking on Rasho Nesterovic's contract). And check out Udrih's per-minute numbers --18.6 points and 8.6 assists per 40 minutes. For a point guard-needy team such as Atlanta, Minnesota or the Lakers, that's tough production to ignoreI would trade Udrih/Rasho/Berry for Lamar Odom.

MoSpur
02-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Trading Beno doesn't sound like a good idea since Van Exel won't be here that long. Trading Rasho sounds good since............................................. .................................

I don't like him.

Joepa
02-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Dang I didn't know that Bean-o produced like that over 40 minutes.

KEDA
02-22-2006, 02:26 PM
Keep in mind that those numbers for Udrih are a tad inflated, alot of those minutes are in garbage time.

smdanss
02-22-2006, 02:32 PM
We should really try Beno Udrih in few games before making up any thoughts.

Despot
02-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Keep in mind that those numbers for Udrih are a tad inflated, alot of those minutes are in garbage time.

Shshhhhh.....Isiah might read these forums. Not that he has anything we want.

Despot
02-22-2006, 02:55 PM
We should really try Beno Udrih in few games before making up any thoughts.

There are no more games before the deadline.

Despot
02-22-2006, 02:56 PM
I would trade Udrih/Rasho/Berry for Lamar Odom.

I posted an Udrih, Nazr, Barry trade last night that worked under the salary requirements.

PM5K
02-22-2006, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't trade Beno or Rasho unless it was a good trade for us, Beno is young and has shown a lot of promise, on the other hand Rasho is a pretty decent player, an outstanding defender, shot blocker, and jump shooter, he just needs to grow a pair....

remingtonbo2001
02-22-2006, 03:46 PM
If there is a trade, if.....I would think it would be Rasho, Barry, and the sweetner, a bowl of Fruity Loops (Not the REAL expensive kind, but the stuff at the bottom). Honestly, I don't see them trading Beno. Does Thomas' contract match up with the Rasho/Barry Combo? I had recieved a text message from a friend in Seattle, supposedly Thomas will not be traded but released later on tomorrow. Not sure how much weight this holds, although I'm sure the Bulls would have no problem pulling the trigger.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 05:13 PM
Back to Thomas for a sec. We have to consider the possibility that Horry might hang it up after this season - 6'10" guys with range are difficult to come by. I know he'll never replace Horry, but it's something to keep in mind.

Peter
02-22-2006, 05:13 PM
Thomas won't be waived until after the trade deadline.

It would take Rasho + Barry + $4 mil in additional contract(s) to make such a hypothetical trade work. Better to wait and see if he's available for the min.

Peter
02-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Back to Thomas for a sec. We have to consider the possibility that Horry might hang it up after this season - 6'10" guys with range are difficult to come by. I know he'll never replace Horry, but it's something to keep in mind.

I haven't seen much of Thomas at the 4. I see him as a 3 almost exclusively in SA.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Hey, I've seen Bowen and Finley at the 4 here -- I don't make the lineups.

gameFACE
02-23-2006, 12:36 AM
Wasn't Tim Thomas rumored to have been involved in a trade for Malik a couple of years ago? Or was that Kurt thomas? I remember reading something about RC practically falling out of his chair when he heard of the deal. But there was some kind of kicker in Malik's contract that Zeke didn't like at the time (but obviously came around to :fro).

If Horry's injury is worse than they are letting on Thomas could be worth a look. Plus there were rumors last month that the Spurs were looking for an athletic big man (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32837&highlight=spurs+seeking+athletic).

Despot
02-23-2006, 12:40 AM
Wasn't Tim Thomas rumored to have been involved in a trade for Malik a couple of years ago? Or was that Kurt thomas? I remember reading something about RC practically falling out of his chair when he heard of the deal. But there was some kind of kicker in Malik's contract that Zeke didn't like at the time (but obviously came around to :fro).

If Horry's injury is worse than they are letting on Thomas could be worth a look. Plus there were rumors last month that the Spurs were looking for an athletic big man (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32837&highlight=spurs+seeking+athletic).

It was kurt at first, then after they found out about the kicker, they offered Tim Thomas. Might be wrong about the last part.

Despot
02-23-2006, 12:40 AM
Off subject, but didn't we wind up paying Malik's kicker anyway?

SequSpur
02-23-2006, 01:01 AM
The per 48 minute stat if fuggin stupid... A player that sucks is on the bench because he isn't worth any minutes, then he gets in here and there and does a little. and then some dipshit statistician or poster thinks they belong in the hall of fame.

Stupid.

Despot
02-23-2006, 01:04 AM
The per 48 minute stat if fuggin stupid... A player that sucks is on the bench because he isn't worth any minutes, then he gets in here and there and does a little. and then some dipshit statistician or poster thinks they belong in the hall of fame.

Stupid.

It is even more inflated because it is per 40 minutes, not 48. I was wondering if it was a typo, and if not why they used 40.

SequSpur
02-23-2006, 01:09 AM
Some people here used to use that stat to justify Malik's contract.

Now we know.