PDA

View Full Version : Knicks trade Hardaway, Asiza to ORL for Steve Francis

CubanMustGo
02-22-2006, 03:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2339941

Steve Francis is headed to the New York Knicks, who acquired the three-time All-Star from the Orlando Magic on Wednesday for Penny Hardaway and Trevor Ariza.

The deal will pair Francis with Stephon Marbury as the highest-paid backcourt duo in the NBA. The Knicks were still talking with several other clubs as team president Isiah Thomas worked at remaking a roster that has stumbled to the league's second-worst record, 15-37.

Francis is owed $49 million over the next three seasons, while Hardaway's $15.75 million contract comes off the cap at the end of this season.

Ariza, who fell out of favor with Knicks coach Larry Brown, was averaging only 4.6 points in 36 games for New York. He was a second-round pick by the Knicks (43rd overall) in 2004 after spending just one season at Southern Cal.

Francis, who turned 29 on Tuesday, had been on the trading block since refusing to re-enter a game against Seattle on Jan. 11. The Magic suspended him and sent him home before he was reinstated following a meeting with coach Brian Hill and team executives. He was averaging a career-low 16.2 points this season, a drop of more than five points from last season.

[...]

Hardaway played in only four games for New York this season and had been away from the team for several weeks, ostensibly to rehab his arthritic knees. It was not known if he planned to play for Orlando this season, nor was it certain whether Francis was to be available for the Knicks on Wednesday night for their home game against the Miami Heat. Francis was expected to at least be in the building, however, as the trade happened while the Magic were in the New York area for a road game against the New Jersey Nets.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2426~302~255&teams=19~19~18

himat
02-22-2006, 07:26 PM
sorry i've never heard of trevor asiza :lol

bad trade for NYC again they need to stop paying big bucks for guys that won't fit together. orlando knows they aren't a good team so they're trying to rebuild.

ALVAREZ6
02-22-2006, 07:48 PM
i fell bad for steve francis--i liked him (better than yao/mcgrady)
What???

Francis sucks ass.

IceCold CB1
02-23-2006, 01:43 PM
sorry i've never heard of trevor asiza :lol

Ariza's a real athletic swingman. I like this deal for orlando...fits in with their youth movement.

Bloodline666
02-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Okay, I don't know what the hell Isiah Thomas is thinking.

Last year, on the trade deadline, they gave up a close-to-expiring contract, and what do they get in return? They get a larger contract dumped on them.

Fastforward to this year's trade deadline, and what happens? Same old shit. They give up a $15 million expiring contract, and get a $42 million three year contract dumped on them. They're paying practically $125 million a season; that's about 150% OVER the salary cap. Just imagine how much they're paying each season in luxury taxes. That's pretty bad. But by accepting trades in which they get multi-year high-dollar contracts dumped on them while their expiring contracts go elsewhere, the Knicks are making their financial situation even worse.

The closest thing I can compare the Knicks' trading habits to is the JailBlazers under Bob Whitsett, who kept getting players with bad rap sheets on the Portland TrailBlazers roster, by way of trade or free agency. Said players continued to get arrested for everything from marijuana in the aluminum foil at the airport metal detector, to dog fighting. Speaking of the JailBlazers, only ONE of the original JailBlazers remains on their roster, though they did get Voshon Leonard, who's been arrested for Wreckless Endangerment and Illegal use of a Firearm in that trade while Ruben Patterson went to Denver, technically, that's trading one JailBlazer for another. But we'll wait and see whether or not Voshon Leonard can stay out of trouble with the law, and make sure his previous arrest was an isolated incident.

bdubya
02-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Okay, I don't know what the hell Isiah Thomas is thinking.

He's got top-secret info from Stern's office: next year the league will allow up to three balls in play at once.