PDA

View Full Version : Why Nazr started- Pop quote

ploto
02-22-2006, 04:07 PM
"I think if somebody plays like that over and over again it should be respected or at least noticed."

Did anyone else find this quote from Pop odd? Maybe it is not entirely in context. I have never, ever heard Pop give as a reason for anything that some player needed personal recognition or notice. Where are the usual comments about the team playing better if this guy starts- or this one comes off the bench? Where are the usual Pop quotes that they are all professionals and just doing their job and need no other impetus? Manu was an All-Star and he did not need to start to be noticed or respected. I just found the answer a little strange coming from Pop- for him to mention having to be concerned about individual notice at all.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Nazr is a better player, and only playing time is going to help him learn the system

ploto
02-22-2006, 04:11 PM
Nazr is a better player, and only playing time is going to help him learn the system
But Pop didn't say that he was starting Nazr because he needed playing time to learn the system. And you can get playing time off the bench. Rasho played more than Nazr last night.

MoSpur
02-22-2006, 04:13 PM
I think you're reading way too much into it. The Spurs do play better when Nazr goes for something like 15pts and 15rbds.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Basically, I think he said that so people think the change is more due to Nazr playing well instead of Rasho not playing well.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 04:15 PM
Well, you can subscribe to a couple of conspiracy theories.

1) Nazr was being showcased against a nonexistent frontline for a trade.

2) Nazr won't play at all next game to keep his re-signing value down.

Or you can just conclude that Pop felt that the Spurs need boards from the outset, and Nazr hasn't been such a liability on D lately to keep him from starting.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 04:34 PM
One more thing to dovetail with another thread. Duncan's offensive output is way down this month. Both Nazr and Rasho are picking up the slack, but Nazr is more aggro and is actually catching passes down low. Now if he could only keep from getting blocked so often.

SilverPlayer
02-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Or you can just conclude that Pop felt that the Spurs need boards from the outset, and Nazr hasn't been such a liability on D lately to keep him from starting.
I think this is dead on.

spurster
02-22-2006, 04:52 PM
CIA Pop. Keep 'em guessing.

blaze89
02-22-2006, 05:34 PM
CIA Pop. Keep 'em guessing.

Popovich must be a helluva poker player.

leemajors
02-22-2006, 06:41 PM
pop also gave rasho more minutes. it's not about who he thinks is better.

E20
02-22-2006, 06:43 PM
pop also gave rasho more minutes. it's not about who he thinks is better.
NBA boxscore says Nazr 21 mintues, Rasho 20 mintues.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Nah, the NBA boxscore says Nazr 21:01, Rasho 21:51.

Not that it really matters.

E20
02-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Let me rephrase

Yahoo box score..........:lol

Nazr: 21
Rasho: 20
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2006022124

exstatic
02-22-2006, 07:39 PM
I think you're reading way too much into it. The Spurs do play better when Nazr goes for something like 15pts and 15rbds.
Except they lost the last game he exceeded those numbers...

exstatic
02-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Pop thinks Nazr>Rasho

what do the Rasho lovers say to that?
Enjoy watching Nazr in another uniform next year...

ChumpDumper
02-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Enjoy watching Nazr in another uniform next year...No way! Nazr will be in the IR next game to drive his asking price down again.

ploto
02-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Today Don seemed to be trying to get Pop to say this meant Nazr would start the rest of the season, but I got the impression (I will admit I was driving at the time) that Pop was more of a - we're going to try this for a while and see what happens. Anyone else get that impression? I thought it strange (again) that Pop excused Nazr's poor first half last night on being nervous starting.

yeahone
02-22-2006, 08:23 PM
go nazr

SouthernFried
02-22-2006, 08:24 PM
You know Pop is pissed Nazr didn't sign the deal they offered him. Nazr want's to test the market. Pop wouldn't start, or play Nazr many minutes...if he didn't actually have to.

I guess he has to.

ploto
02-22-2006, 08:30 PM
You know Pop is pissed Nazr didn't sign the deal they offered him. Nazr want's to test the market. Pop wouldn't start, or play Nazr many minutes...if he didn't actually have to.

I guess he has to.
But Rasho actually played more minutes. :lol

Dre_7
02-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Nazr is being showcased to Chigaco. He will be traded for Tyson Chandler. :lol

I wish!

wildbill2u
02-23-2006, 04:58 PM
"I think if somebody plays like that over and over again it should be respected or at least noticed."

Did anyone else find this quote from Pop odd? Maybe it is not entirely in context. I have never, ever heard Pop give as a reason for anything that some player needed personal recognition or notice. Where are the usual comments about the team playing better if this guy starts- or this one comes off the bench? Where are the usual Pop quotes that they are all professionals and just doing their job and need no other impetus? Manu was an All-Star and he did not need to start to be noticed or respected. I just found the answer a little strange coming from Pop- for him to mention having to be concerned about individual notice at all.

I think he meant that the player's production should be respected and noticed by the coaches and the appropriate measures taken, in this case putting NAZR into the starting lineup. He didn't mean that NAZR should be getting personal recognition.

WalterBenitez
02-23-2006, 05:26 PM
Good for him, I hope he take his chance!!!

BigZak
02-23-2006, 10:40 PM
Enjoy watching Nazr in another uniform next year...

If Naz walks and #8 is back at center?

no more rings.

Resign Naz at all costs.
Unless Pop has a cia plan to pull ben wallace out of his ass.

Peter
02-23-2006, 10:43 PM
If Naz walks and #8 is back at center?

no more rings.

Resign Naz at all costs.
Unless Pop has a cia plan to pull ben wallace out of his ass.

Unlikely. The Spurs supposedly balked at giving him a $28 mil extension last summer. The Spurs were hot to deal Malik for him because of the remaining $28 mil or so on his contract. Mohammed's deal ending in 2006 is why they gave up two picks to the Knicks.