Peter
02-23-2006, 12:29 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/060220

The Little General that could

By Scoop Jackson
Page 2
ESPN.com

It started with a hug.

A warm one. An affectionate one. Nothing "Brokeback." Just friendship. A friendship that is more than 20 years old.

There was a smile on his face. Different from the one that is there all the time. This one was wider, deeper. It wasn't the happy-to-be-alive smile that usually dominates his face. No sir, this smile was about a life accomplishment. One that he didn't even see coming.

It started on Friday. The day he faced the media for the first time as the coach of the Western Conference All-Stars. An assignment given only to coaches whose teams have the best record in the NBA 51 games into the season. An accomplishment.

He sat there inside the Hilton Hotel ballroom. Smiling. Answering every question thrown at him.

Then he saw me. The media person who has known him the longest, the one who understands this more than anyone else because I was there when people called him "Duggy."

Who knew?

Who knew?

That he'd be here this soon, this quickly. Before he turned 43.

Who knew this would happen when he began this journey as a replacement coach only 11 months ago.

Not me. Not when he took over the helm of one of the most misunderstood and underachieving teams not owned by the Maloofs.

Not when he was proving Damon Stoudamire wrong after Stoudamire said San Antonio will "never win a championship with Avery Johnson as their point guard."

Not when he and I were together in New Orleans; I at Xavier University, he at Southern University. Not when he would come down to the Barn for pickup games on our campus and display the gift that had him leading the nation in assists. Not when I replaced him for two games on a New Orleans semipro team, Team Gumbo, in 1985.

None of us knew he would be here, on this stage, so soon in his life. On center stage. Watching Beyoncé sing her last song with her girls, watching 10 of the best ballers in the world compete for best intro during the introductions.

His ecstasy took over his nervousness. This weekend he was like a kid in a GameStop, or a candy store.

For four days … a smile.

On Saturday he turned practice into his own personal mini-concert. Getting the crowd hyped, getting them to choose sides, getting them to know him.

After no one seemed to want to make a basket during shooting drills: "If you all don't hurry up and and make a shot the coaches are going to get in and shoot for you all."

After Tracy McGrady missed a few easy shots: "Tracy, you never miss when the Mavs come to visit the Rockets -- why are you missing now? What are you averaging against us? Like 45?"

After he saw Kobe laughing: "We already know what Kobe's averaging against us. What is it Kobe, 55?"

After verbally separating his first team and second team: "I'm saying first team, second team but we all know all of you all are first team to me."

It was a public introduction to him, for a world who really didn't know him.

Oh, they all knew who he was, the funny-talking "country" point guard from San An who they called the General to David Robinson's Admiral.

But this was different. This was a new and improved Avery Johnson who never needed newness or improvement. This was a man who, in the first 62 games of his coaching career, might have found his calling. Discovered why God put him on this earth.

But before this weekend no one had the chance to see him like this. In his first All-Star Weekend. Ever.

On Sunday, God's love. Being honored at a gospel brunch. A recognition that had nothing to do with his being a professional basketball coach.

His faith was served before the game.

He came to the game in his Mavericks blue. Dark blue suit, soft blue shirt. Tie, cuff links, cursive signature over the wrists, blue square toes. Like he belonged.

He got serious at the 6:19 mark of the third when he saw his 21-point lead evaporate to seven. He unbuttoned his suit jacket and walked out on the court while his team retreated to the bench. He brushed his hand down his tie. The smile was gone.

Even inside the time of his life, Avery Johnson can't stand to lose. The fastest coach to 50 victories in NBA history could not have his first All-Star appearance as coach have an "L" attached to it.

He had a plan to put five 7-footers in the game as soon as Flip Saunders put in all four of his Detroit players. Flip did it, Avery didn't. All gimmicks aside, he had a game to win. One that he eventually didn't.

But the second the game was over, the smile returned. He walked behind the scenes, being led to the postgame podium, soaking in the moment.

When he saw Tim Duncan, he said: "I put Tim Duncan out there to guard LeBron and he wound up getting the MVP."

When he saw LeBron, he gave him a hug, congratulated him, then said: "You spoiled my first All-Star Game."

But when it was all over, when no one else was around, I still don't think he had absorbed his last four days.

"Scoop," he said, "it's just unbelievable that I can call Kobe, T-Mac, Tim Duncan, Dirk, a lot of these guys I competed against, some -- Steve Nash, Dirk, Tim -- I've been teammates with. So for this weekend to go so well, in terms of me being a head coach for such a short period of time and coaching the All-Star Game in Houston … man it's just been …"

"Unreal," I say.

"Phenomenal," he corrected me.

"Who knew, back in the day," I reminisced, "we'd be standing here? With you coaching an NBA All-Star team?"

"Well, you know I didn't come into the season trying to be the All-Star coach," he says, accent intact, humor still serious. "I want to be coach of the month in June."

And it ended like it started … with a hug. Me telling him how happy and proud I am of him, him continually saying thanks.

Both knowing how far he's come.

Then he walked off, smile on his face. Knowing, as he said just five minutes earlier, that the magic slipper would come off in less than an hour.

http://www.sahoops.net/history/hist5pic2.jpg

Despot
02-23-2006, 12:36 AM
Avery says "phenomenal" very funny.

AFE7FATMAN
02-23-2006, 12:39 AM
Post this on the MAV's board, IMO it does not belong here :pctoss

Peter
02-23-2006, 12:48 AM
Nah, I posted it here.

SequSpur
02-23-2006, 12:57 AM
yeah no shit, I am sick of the Dallas crap.

Trainwreck2100
02-23-2006, 01:08 AM
The Little General that could

Go straight to hell for all I care

Despot
02-23-2006, 01:13 AM
I guess all that talk about retiring his number was way too premature.

leemajors
02-23-2006, 01:16 AM
scoop jackson makes me miss ralph wiley. i thought wiley's r-dub columns were kinda annoying, but at least he could write , and write damn well. it sucks we only got a few of the sports guy/wiley back and forth columns. scoop just sucks ass. well at least he's mastered the one sentence paragraph.

AFE7FATMAN
02-23-2006, 01:45 AM
a first grade teacher was preparing his class for a visit from AJ and Cuban.

She said "I'm a MAV's fan and if you are a Mav's fan raise your hand.

Most of the kids had no idea who the mav's were but raised their hands anyway, except for little Ronnie.

The teacher, having had trouble from Ronnie all year, was tired of his
defiance. He asked

"If your not a Mav's fan Ronnie, whose fan are you?"

Ronnie replied, My Mommie and Daddy are Spurs' fans, so I'm one too.

The teacher, seeing red, and not going to let a 7 year old get the better of
him replied.

"Well Ronnie, if your Mommy was a Moron and your daddy an Idiot would
you still be a spurs Fan?

Ronnie thought, only for a moment and replied:

"No SIr, it's for sure, if that was the case I would be a Mav's fan. :lol

Solid D
02-23-2006, 02:02 AM
Too bad Holting Pattern wouldn't pay the extra Jack to keep AJ and went cheap by going with a young, unproven draft pick at less than a million a year.

:smokin

baseline bum
02-23-2006, 02:18 AM
Y'all are cold. AJ is one of the most important people in Spurs history. He already has a title as a coach, and he's doing about as well as I expected him to. For anyone who ever saw the 99 time his success in Dallas should come as no surprise.

Kori Ellis
02-23-2006, 02:19 AM
I guess all that talk about retiring his number was way too premature.

Why?

The Spurs organization has acted like it's a given that AJ's number is next.

velik_m
02-23-2006, 02:39 AM
It started on Friday. The day he faced the media for the first time as the coach of the Western Conference All-Stars. An assignment given only to coaches whose teams have the best record in the NBA 51 games into the season. An accomplishment.

huh?

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-23-2006, 02:42 AM
Y'all are cold. AJ is one of the most important people in Spurs history. He already has a title as a coach, and he's doing about as well as I expected him to. For anyone who ever saw the 99 time his success in Dallas should come as no surprise.

Exactly.

Those hating on AJ seriously need to reconsider their thoughts.

Trainwreck2100
02-23-2006, 03:10 AM

Well my good sir, as a wise man once said "the seventh layer of hell is reserved for mutineers and Judases."

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-23-2006, 03:11 AM
Well my good sir, as a wise man once said "the seventh layer of hell is reserved for mutineers and Judases."

So Danny Ferry, Mike Brown, Mario Elie, et al. also fit that description?

Trainwreck2100
02-23-2006, 03:13 AM
So Danny Ferry, Mike Brown, Mario Elie, et al. also fit that description?

Not really cause their teams aren't that good. Besides Elie was just an assistant coach. Plus they are in a diff conference.

PM5K
02-23-2006, 03:56 AM
AJ is good, but let's not all suck his cock at the same time, he took a team that has won on average fifty six games for the past five seasons into a team on pace to win sixty four games...

I'm not saying Dallas isn't better, they have stepped up their offense and defense, their point differential is higher than last season, but it's not like he is taking the Hawks to the playoffs....

And this doesn't have shit to do with the Spurs...

LittleGeneral
02-23-2006, 07:29 AM
Nice article.

ShoogarBear
02-23-2006, 07:50 AM
Not really cause their teams aren't that good. Besides Elie was just an assistant coach. Plus they are in a diff conference.

So, if Dallas sucked, then Avery wouldn't be a Judas? :wtf

ShoogarBear
02-23-2006, 07:52 AM
This is waaay premature, but I'm LMAO at the thought of all the Avery haters trying to swallow the fact that he might make it into the HoF as a coach . . .

ShoogarBear
02-23-2006, 07:53 AM
AJ is good, but let's not all suck his cock at the same time, he took a team that has won on average fifty six games for the past five seasons into a team on pace to win sixty four games...

I'm not saying Dallas isn't better, they have stepped up their offense and defense, their point differential is higher than last season, but it's not like he is taking the Hawks to the playoffs....

You mean, he's kinda doing what Pop did?

ducks
02-23-2006, 08:27 AM
wow
another mav thread

pache100
02-23-2006, 08:48 AM

A man is a "mutineer" and a "Judas" because he takes a desirable, lucrative, and satisfying job? Geez, there sure are a lot of mutineers and Judases in the country, in the world. Avery was traded from San Antonio. We threw him away like a used kleenex. He wound up in Dallas (after a little wandering) and found himself in a dream situation. Don Nelson and Mark Cuban (neither of whom I can stand) recognized coaching potential there (and rightly so) and the rest is history. How can you fault a guy for that. Avery has never been shy about saying his time with the Spurs was some of the best times of his life. But, everyone has to grow and mature and move on. That's all Avery has done. I don't see any basis for the hate.

Not really cause their teams aren't that good.

That doesn't even make sense. You should be proud of Avery and happy for him (no matter how you feel about the Mavericks), for what he's accomplished in his life. As a Spur and after.

I just look at him and think how lucky we are to have had him here for a little while.

Doc Jerome
02-23-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm happy for AJ; although I will root for the Spurs to spank that a%#. All the AJ haters need to revisit some Spurs history. There is a reason why everyone in the organization (Pop, P.J., David, Sean, Steve Kerr, even TP himself) spoke in reference to TP's growth as a point guard to the play of Avery Johnson during his tenure with the organization. If you don't recognize or fail to acknowledge that, you don't know basketball or Spurs history.

In short? Stop Hatin'.

ptp39
02-23-2006, 09:57 AM
"Robert Horry has shattered more dreams than a drunk trucker slamming into a school bus."

thats the most disgusting sig I've ever seen. Too bad it wasn't one of your kids on the bus.

pache100
02-23-2006, 10:16 AM
I will root for the Spurs to spank that a%#.

Me, too, of course! Just because I like, respect, and admire Avery (and am proud of him), does not mean that I feel the same way about the Mavericks. http://i1.tinypic.com/ofd85i.gif http://i1.tinypic.com/ofd828.gif

Stop Hatin'. http://i1.tinypic.com/ofdpv5.gif

Solid D
02-23-2006, 10:50 AM
I love AJ and I am happy for his accomplishments. I'm not sure he deserves a number hanging in the rafters but he was the floor general for the 1999 Championship team (9.7 ppg., 7.4 apg that year). He holds a special place in the hearts of San Antonians, where he and his wife enjoyed a great relationship with the people. My heart still goes out to him for the time he got fired (cut) at Christmas in one of his stints with the Spurs. He spent some less than notorious years in Seattle, Denver, Houston, and Oakland.

AJ moved on to Denver and Dallas and Oakland again in his twilight years because they were willing to pay. He's not a traitor. Once he enters the coaching community, an NBA job is a dream opportunity, particularly with the talent arranged there and the Metroplex fan support.

(My Holting Pattern comment was not a jab at AJ, BTW)

pache100
02-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Once he enters the coaching community, an NBA job is a dream opportunity, particularly with the talent arranged there and the Metroplex fan support.

I agree. And I think when you enter the coaching realm, you have a clean slate (the main thing you bring to coaching as a player is what you learned from your former coaches about playing and coaching; your players don't particularly CARE what you did as a player, except how those experiences can help THEM)...what Avery's done with his slate thus far is pretty impressive.

Despot
02-23-2006, 11:32 AM
Why?

The Spurs organization has acted like it's a given that AJ's number is next.

For the record, I am undecided on if he should have his number retired, just seems like the newfound rivalry with Dallas might have hurt the support he had from some fans, considering people here were upset about an Avery article was being posted in here.

Peter
02-23-2006, 12:51 PM
Spurs fans love to bite the hand that fed them in no small way their 1st NBA championship. In addition, Spurs fans are a bit nearsighted because Pop isn't going to coach forever and AJ's not under contract with the Mavs for that long.