PDA

View Full Version : ST.com NBA Trade Rumor Dump

Peter
02-23-2006, 12:38 AM
The deadline is upon us. What's the latest NBA trade rumors you've come across? Please post a source (preferably w/link) with your rumor. ("Sources" mean legit media outlets and not what Jimcs thought of when he was punching one out on his lunch break).

milkyway21
02-23-2006, 12:42 AM
Kevin Garnett to the Lakers

Other teams interested: Knicks, Bulls

KG has had that forlorn, "Please God, get me out of here" look on his face for about two years now. All of the rumors are that if and when he gets dealt, he wants to go to New York to ball in the NBA's largest market. Can't really blame him, can you? Is there any doubt that if he was in a larger market since he came into the L we'd be talking about KG in the same breath as some of the all-time greats? Garnett would have been everywhere for the last decade. Unfortunately, after the Knicks made the move for Francis, KG to NYC is unlikely.

We have been hearing, though, that the Lakers are making a late push for Garnett. And by all accounts they'd be crazy to refuse giving up any of their young talent if they have a legit shot at KG (and if we were Kevin McHale, we'd settle for nothing less than Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom). Can you image Garnett and Kobe on the same team? They can ...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5352122

Despot
02-23-2006, 12:49 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39299/20060223/crawford_likely_to_be_dealt_for_watson/

Greg Logan/Newsday - Although Isiah Thomas said he's satisfied with the team as it is, several NBA executives said it's likely Knicks shooting guard Jamal Crawford will be traded to Denver for backup point guard Earl Watson by today's 3 p.m. NBA trade deadline.

The Nuggets need a shooting guard, the Knicks need a backup point guard who doesn't require shots, and the salaries fit NBA trade guidelines. [READ]

ducks
02-23-2006, 08:28 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

King nixes rumors, decrees that Iverson is staying put

By PHIL JASNER
[email protected]

Today's 3 p.m. NBA trade deadline? Billy King says that if you've already read about something the 76ers are doing, or heard about it, it's not happening.

That, the 76ers president/general manager said before last night's game against the Cleveland Cavaliers, includes an ESPN report about a prospective deal with Denver for Allen Iverson.

But believe this: The Nuggets did call, and there was at least some level of discussion.

You can equally believe that, despite a report on local TV about a two- or three-team deal involving Iverson and the Atlanta Hawks, that was far enough out of the blue to catch even King by surprise.

And while it is true that King called Seattle asking about the availability of Ray Allen or Rashard Lewis, that was simply in the category of due diligence, no different from various teams asking about Iverson.

King indicated that the Sixers might do "something minor," but doubted anything major would happen. The first minor thing that happened was that they chose not to re-sign backup big man Zendon Hamilton for the remainder of the season after his second 10-day contract expired.

"We'd like to do something [major], but it takes two teams," King said. "At this point in time, there's nothing we can get done."

The ESPN report indicated a deal with the Nuggets could include power forward Nene, guard Earl Watson and possibly draft choices. As that report appeared, an Eastern Conference executive asked King whether it was true that the Sixers were acquiring Kenyon Martin.

(An executive from yet another Eastern team indicated the Nuggets' offer included Martin and Watson.)

King acquired Chris Webber, Michael Bradley and Matt Barnes from Sacramento at last season's deadline for Kenny Thomas, Brian Skinner and Corliss Williamson.

"Last year, we were able to do something major, but I don't think you do a lot of deals at this point in time," King said. "You have a lot of teams trying to get rid of money, [and] a lot of people don't want to take money in."

That would seem to preclude the Sixers using their $4.5 million midlevel exception, their $4.45 million trade exception or the expiring $10 million-plus contract of the injured Jamal Mashburn; they want no part of paying large luxury-tax penalties.

In an e-mail response Tuesday evening, King said, "We're not trading Allen."

Last night, he said, "People always ask about him, just like I ask about other superstars; that's your job, to ask, especially when what's written in the paper are a lot of false rumors - it makes other teams want to call."

And when teams call about Iverson?

"I said no," King replied.

Yesterday morning, King said he was hearing reports about the Sixers' getting Minnesota's Kevin Garnett.

"It's shocking sometimes," he said. "A team may call and ask about somebody and you say no [and] the next thing is, it's in the paper."

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews.../printstory.jsp

ducks
02-23-2006, 08:36 AM
MARC MAY BE JOINING BOBCATS

By FRED KERBER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
February 23, 2006 -- The Nets appear likely to make a trade before today's deadline, after all.
Marc Jackson was on the verge of being dealt to Charlotte, several league sources said. The move is designed to clear salary, not to import help. One source said the Nets may get back a player earning the NBA minimum salary.
http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/64042.htm

ducks
02-23-2006, 08:38 AM
The Mavs do have four expiring contracts in Van Horn ($15.7 million), Jason Terry ($7.5 million), Darrell Armstrong ($1.1 million) and DJ Mbenga ($880,000). Obviously, Van Horn and Terry are the most attractive financially to other teams looking to unload contracts, but both are vital to Johnson's rotation and the Mavs' success.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/basketball/13941122.htm

ducks
02-23-2006, 08:41 AM
MARCED MAN: According to a source, the Nets are looking to dump center Marc Jackson's $4.5 million salary for a draft pick or make a deal for an athletic big man. The NBA trading deadline is today.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/394010p-334058c.html

Peter
02-23-2006, 01:46 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2ffeatures%2frumors

Despot
02-23-2006, 01:56 PM
1 hour left!

Peter
02-23-2006, 02:01 PM
1 hour left!

Well, apparently teams can receive an extension if they notify the league that they are still discussing a deal. Then, of course, the league has to OK any deals. So news of deals might come out later in the day.

Though a bunch of deals were already made well before the deadline, so today's activity might be relatively light.

Streakyshooter08
02-23-2006, 02:07 PM
I think there won't be a major trade. Maybe some roleplayers might be traded but nothing too exciting. I hope the Spurs will land Tim Thomas IF he will be bought out...

Warlord23
02-23-2006, 02:11 PM
The Lakers boards are hoping for one of several rumors to pan out:
1. Boozer to LA for Mihm and George
2. Jermaine O'Neal for Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum and filler
3. Crawford, Nate and Frye from NY to LA for Odom
4. Kevin Garnett for Odom, Bynum, George, filler

The first one is somewhat realistic, and was rumored as a 3-team trade with LA, Golden State and Utah; GS getting Mihm and George, and Utah getting Murphy and Fisher. The last 3 appear to be pure pipe.

JMarkJohns
02-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Several Phoenix-area stations reported a Marion for Garnett rumor. Marion even commented on it. I don't necessarily understand it, because With KG, Amare and Nash, the Suns would be well over 40 million for three players with no room to resign Diaw, Barbosa and House.

No link, being that it was on the news.

Trainwreck2100
02-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Several Phoenix-area stations reported a Marion for Garnett rumor. Marion even commented on it. I don't necessarily understand it, because With KG, Amare and Nash, the Suns would be well over 40 million for three players with no room to resign Diaw, Barbosa and House.

With that lineup you wouldn't need to. It's prob. Just KG fodder though.

ducks
02-23-2006, 02:31 PM

I do that trade
amare kg, nash wow
next year

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-23-2006, 02:34 PM
I'd have to imagine that for a Garnett for Marion trade to happen, the suns would have to include Diaw and others to make it work

JMarkJohns
02-23-2006, 02:41 PM
No other fillers were given, but salary-wise, Jackson would need to be included and maybe a draft pick.

I understand that Garnett is 7-foot, while Marion is just 6-7, but they are basically the same offensive player (no post game, solid shooting, putbacks, transition baskets) with one big plus for Marion in threes, they are the same rebounder and another big plus for Marion in defensive statistics.

I wouldn't give up much more than Marion for Garnett, especially with the financial aspect involved. Marion is less expensive and does just as much and is content with a 2nd-fiddle role. Garnett is much more expensive, older and might not be content being 2nd-fiddle to Amare.

I definately would NOT give up Marion and Diaw for Garnett. No chance in hell.

ducks
02-23-2006, 02:46 PM
at one time marion for manu I would do
but marion is more money then marion and manu shows up in playoffs

JMarkJohns
02-23-2006, 02:56 PM
I won't deny that Marion struggled vs. the Spurs last season, but his regular season career averages (minus his rookie season) are around 20 ppg (46%) and 10 rebounds. His postseason career averages (minus his rookie season) are 17 points (43%), 11 rebounds.

Bowen shut him down last year, but he was coming off a great series vs. Dallas.

I wouldn't say doesn't show up, rather just struggles against the best defenses.

I don't know.