PDA

View Full Version : Trade Nets/Hornets

Despot
02-23-2006, 03:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2342131

The New Jersey Nets have agreed to send center Marc Jackson and forward Linton Johnson to the New Orleans Hornets in exchange for Bostjan Nachbar, ESPN.com has learned.

The deal is pending league approval.

The Nets' motive for the deal was to get under the tax level to sign Tim Thomas if and when the Bulls buy out his contract.

The Hornets acquire some much needed size in the veteran Jackson.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=377~2221~1723&teams=3~3~17

Dunc
02-23-2006, 03:15 PM
I like that for the Hornets.

Horry For 3!
02-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Maybe now Marc Jackson will get playing time. He did pretty decent with the 76ers last year.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-23-2006, 03:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2342131

The New Jersey Nets have agreed to send center Marc Jackson and forward Linton Johnson to the New Orleans Hornets in exchange for Bostjan Nachbar, ESPN.com has learned.

The deal is pending league approval.

The Nets' motive for the deal was to get under the tax level to sign Tim Thomas if and when the Bulls buy out his contract.

The Hornets acquire some much needed size in the veteran Jackson.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=377~2221~1723&teams=3~3~17

Why do they need Thomas if they have Jefferson and Carter?

FromWayDowntown
[Bill Walton]This trade has clearly changed the balance of power in the NBA and shaken the established teams to the core. [/Bill Walton]

Horry For 3!
That is a good deal for me as well. (Marc Jackson is on my Dynasty team) :lol

Peter
NJ clears its major hurdle in order to be able to sign Thomas. That is, unless Thomas feels a bit part on a championship team might help his chances in the offseason.

rayray2k8
Oh my freaking god!! No way!!! AH MAN! what a blockbuster!! (:rolleyes)
Im making fun of the trade not who posted it...

Peter
02-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Why do they need Thomas if they have Jefferson and Carter?

3rd wheel in the swing rotation. There's about 25 minutes a night for Thomas in NJ.

rayray2k8
[Bill Walton]This trade has clearly changed the balance of power in the NBA and shaken the established teams to the core. [/Bill Walton]
:lol
even better

Peter

Well, it is significant for the Spurs since they're after Thomas.

Despot
02-23-2006, 03:21 PM

No offense taken, but this is important to the spurs because this makes the nets more of a threat to the Spurs ability to sign Thomas, if the Spurs even want him.

rayray2k8
02-23-2006, 03:22 PM
I thought they were going for sprewell..
which i think is crazy, but hey im not the GM
here.
I trust pop, and if he thinks its a good move then
im all for it.. :smokin

FromWayDowntown
02-23-2006, 03:23 PM

True. And the only suitors for Thomas that have gotten any mention are New Jersey and San Antonio.

But what it does is make New Jersey's effort more cost affordable to them. It has no effect on what the Nets can offer to Thomas relative to what the Spurs can offer. I understand that both NJ and SA are over the cap, so each is looking at a vet minimum offer. The question is whether Thomas wants to be the clear 3rd wing in NJ or whether he can take being the 4th wing (maybe the 3rd) in SA with the chance to compete for a title and earn an opportunity to stick with the Spurs going forward.

Those aren't questions that New Jersey answered with this trade, though.

rayray2k8
02-23-2006, 03:24 PM
No offense taken, but this is important to the spurs because this makes the nets more of a threat to the Spurs ability to sign Thomas, if the Spurs even want him.
Okay..
someone needs to fill me in on why this is important because
clearly im missing something.
:wtf

Despot
02-23-2006, 03:24 PM
I thought they were going for sprewell..
which i think is crazy, but hey im not the GM
here.
I trust pop, and if he thinks its a good move then
im all for it.. :smokin

I got the feeling they would rather have Thomas, rather than sprewell. I wouldn't be suprised if they wanted them both.

Despot
02-23-2006, 03:30 PM
True. And the only suitors for Thomas that have gotten any mention are New Jersey and San Antonio.

But what it does is make New Jersey's effort more cost affordable to them. It has no effect on what the Nets can offer to Thomas relative to what the Spurs can offer. I understand that both NJ and SA are over the cap, so each is looking at a vet minimum offer. The question is whether Thomas wants to be the clear 3rd wing in NJ or whether he can take being the 4th wing (maybe the 3rd) in SA with the chance to compete for a title and earn an opportunity to stick with the Spurs going forward.

Those aren't questions that New Jersey answered with this trade, though.

I'm not familiar with the cap situation for the Nets, but the article states that this deal puts them under the cap, which means that they should be at least able to offer a little more than the vet min.

BigVee
02-23-2006, 03:32 PM
Good for the Hornets. Maybe I have only seen him have good games, but I think Jackson is pretty good. Seems to move around a lot though.

Peter
02-23-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm not familiar with the cap situation for the Nets, but the article states that this deal puts them under the cap, which means that they should be at least able to offer a little more than the vet min.

It gets them under the lux tax threshold, not the cap. It has no bearing on what they can pay Thomas, but rather his cost to them. As long as they were over the lux tax threshold then he'd cost double.

Despot
02-23-2006, 03:37 PM
It gets them under the lux tax threshold, not the cap. It has no bearing on what they can pay Thomas, but rather his cost to them. As long as they were over the lux tax threshold then he'd cost double.

Ahh, wasn't paying close enough attention.

Anywhoo, just saw this, probably why they got marc jackson.

New Orleans forward Jackson Vroman is expected to miss the rest of the season with a broken right wrist, Hornets coach Byron Scott said Thursday.

FromWayDowntown
02-23-2006, 03:48 PM
The deal is basically one to get the Hornets something they need -- another big to help in their playoff push -- while giving the Nets some tax relief should they be able to sign Thomas.

I don't see it as terribly significant to much of anything, though it does certainly suggest that if the Spurs had designs on Tim Thomas, they won't be alone in that pursuit.

AI-square
02-23-2006, 03:49 PM
I think it is a good move for the Hornets, despte his 4m contract. He brings a decent jumper and free throw shooting and some hustle.

Pero
02-23-2006, 04:08 PM
NJ traded for a small forward only to sign another one? Damn, this means that Nachbar won`t get any playing time.

angel_luv
02-23-2006, 07:06 PM
I hope Nachbar likes New Jersey.

Good luck to Linton too.

v2freak
02-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Linton Johnson is a good player, I hope he gets time with the Hornets. Marc Jackson is pretty good too; he's got lots of moves

ObiwanGinobili
02-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Linton Johnson is a good player, I hope he gets time with the Hornets. Marc Jackson is pretty good too; he's got lots of moves
Welcome to ST !!

SoCalSpursFan
02-23-2006, 08:19 PM
The fact that there is even a thread about this trade tells us all just how boring deadline day was. Disappointing. I don't know what I expected, but its always fun seeing teams try and shuffle their players so they have a at least a chance at beating us. :elephant