PDA

View Full Version : Bulls, Thomas discuss buyout

ducks
02-23-2006, 07:43 PM

Bulls, Thomas discuss buyout
February 23, 2006

DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) -- Unable to trade Tim Thomas before Thursday's deadline, the Chicago Bulls are discussing a contract buyout with their banished forward, general manager John Paxson said.

Thomas, earning approximately $14 million in the final year of his contract, hopes to join a playoff team. Players waived after March 1 are not eligible for the postseason.

*"We are working on a way to resolve it," Paxson said. "My only issue is I don't want Tim to go to a direct competitor with us -- someone we're chasing, whatever."

Acquired in the Eddy Curry trade in early October, Thomas averaged 4.3 points and 1.3 rebounds in three games and was sent home after he complained about a limited role. He has averaged 11.9 points and 4.0 rebounds in his career, but hasn't met expectations that accompanied him from Villanova to the NBA in 1997.

Paxson said he would like to reach an agreement with Thomas by March 1.

"I respect the fact that he wants to play," Paxson said. "We're also paying his contract, and we have the right to make sure it's the best thing for us. If we can get some financial relief out of the deal, then we'll certainly look into that."

When asked if there was any chance Thomas would rejoin the team, Paxson said, "No."

After winning 47 games and reaching the playoffs for the first time since 1998 last season, the Bulls are 24-29 and ninth in the Eastern Conference.

dimsah
02-23-2006, 07:54 PM
*"We are working on a way to resolve it," Paxson said. "My only issue is I don't want Tim to go to a direct competitor with us -- someone we're chasing, whatever."

If Tim Thomas had any type of championship aspirations then the Nets shouldn't even enter the equation, but even though he's already made millions I'm sure he'll go where the money is.

timvp
02-23-2006, 07:56 PM
Would the Bulls consider the Nets a rival?

Hmmmmm...

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-23-2006, 07:56 PM

Translation: he goes to the Spurs or he sits at home on our payroll the rest of the year. Sorry Nets.

Guru of Nothing
02-23-2006, 07:58 PM

Direct competitor = division rival, or eastern conference rival?

Could the Bulls possibly negotiate into the buyout where and where not Tim Thomas can sign? That would seem highly unusual.

dimsah
02-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Direct competitor = division rival, or eastern conference rival?

Maybe there are other teams interested in him that we haven't heard about, but if not then I would think the Nets would be more of a rival than the Spurs based on the conference.

AI-square
02-23-2006, 08:02 PM
I think it was a direct reference to the Sixers who are eighth in the East.

Peter
02-23-2006, 08:58 PM
When he's waived, he's waived. The Bulls cannot have any input on where he goes after that. If they're that concerned about where he ends up, all they can do is not waive him at all.

Mr. Body
02-23-2006, 10:27 PM
The Nets would definitely qualify as "direct rival," since Chicago still has a chance for a playoff spot.

But it'd be impossible to enforce that. See, Mark Cuban and Michael Finley.

Peter
02-23-2006, 10:35 PM
All signs point to Thomas going to NJ when he's waived. They have more minutes, it's home for him, he's been hanging in Jersey this season, etc.

I'd be surprised to see the Bulls waive him before Mar. 1. They might do it afterwards and the Nets might still pick him up with next season in mind. At least that would keep him from hurting the Bulls directly in the postseason.

Peter
02-23-2006, 10:40 PM
Spurs are on the outside looking in unless Thomas thinks that highly of Newman or the Spurs could sell him on a future in SA. Right now you have Manu and Bowen as the guys whose rotational spots are set in stone.

But one would think that Thomas is looking for serious PT over the remainder of the season to get him some interest after that contract runs out. At age 29, the next couple of years are his last chance to really cash in on the NBA moneytrain.

timvp
02-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Spurs are on the outside looking in unless Thomas thinks that highly of Newman or the Spurs could sell him on a future in SA. Right now you have Manu and Bowen as the guys whose rotational spots are set in stone.

But one would think that Thomas is looking for serious PT over the remainder of the season to get him some interest after that contract runs out. At age 29, the next couple of years are his last chance to really cash in on the NBA moneytrain.

Exactly.

I'd be surprised if he signs here. He's too young to just be thinking about a championship. He has one more decent contract in him if he can end the season well.

Peter
02-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Exactly.

I'd be surprised if he signs here. He's too young to just be thinking about a championship. He has one more decent contract in him if he can end the season well.

Yeah. It's hard to see him supplanting Finley in the rotation. That would be the only way he'd get major minutes in SA. The Spurs do have the MLE next summer, so they would have the capability to put together a decent deal for him, but I think the Spurs would be wary of committing so much to a swing role player, even if they projected him as an eventual starter. NJ is the easier and more appealing path for him now. Can't fault him if he goes with that.

Peter
02-23-2006, 10:54 PM
This is tangentially related to Thomas but more in general to the Spurs' personnel moves from here on. If they were that concerned about Malik's deal, are they really going to sign anyone to a significant deal from here on? Or are they going to do what they can to keep team payroll in the current ballpark (w/annual increases)? They have the Big 3 locked up for 5 more seasons or so.

Guru of Nothing
02-23-2006, 11:09 PM
At age 29, the next couple of years are his last chance to really cash in on the NBA moneytrain.

[insert scoobey-doo rruuuhh?] DAMN! I had no idea Tim Thomas was 29. I thought he was like 25, 26 tops.

He has made his money. He should beg for Horry to mentor him; otherwise, no thanks. - says the man on the internets.

Kori Ellis
02-23-2006, 11:33 PM
[insert scoobey-doo rruuuhh?] DAMN! I had no idea Tim Thomas was 29. I thought he was like 25, 26 tops.

He has made his money. He should beg for Horry to mentor him; otherwise, no thanks. - says the man on the internets.

That's funny. You thought he's 25. Some other posters thought he's 35.

I guess that many people don't know exactly who he is. :lol

timvp
02-23-2006, 11:35 PM
This is tangentially related to Thomas but more in general to the Spurs' personnel moves from here on. If they were that concerned about Malik's deal, are they really going to sign anyone to a significant deal from here on? Or are they going to do what they can to keep team payroll in the current ballpark (w/annual increases)? They have the Big 3 locked up for 5 more seasons or so.

I hope Holt and co. do what it takes to keep this team a winner. It wouldn't be pretty if they tried to make this team Tim, Tony, Manu and 9 cheap/expiring contracts.

Guru of Nothing
02-23-2006, 11:45 PM

It's not that I did not really know him; more like, time flies.

Peter
02-23-2006, 11:45 PM
I hope Holt and co. do what it takes to keep this team a winner. It wouldn't be pretty if they tried to make this team Tim, Tony, Manu and 9 cheap/expiring contracts.

At the moment that's the vibe I'm getting. The amount of salary tied to those under contract past this season is increasing at around 10% per annum. Mohammed's contract coming off the books kinda keeps the overall payroll steady. Perhaps they'll be able to continue to go to the Euro well to replenish that cheaply. Still, opportunities like this don't come around often for a NBA franchise. Now is no time for Holt to turn Red.

Kori Ellis
02-23-2006, 11:46 PM
One interesting side note about the Euros is that Sanikidze is still in town and has been for months.

Just notin'.

Guru of Nothing
02-23-2006, 11:49 PM
One interesting side note about the Euros is that Sanikidze is still in town and has been for months.

Just notin'.

Dynasty forum.

texasqb2
02-24-2006, 12:14 AM

Just notin'.

What in the world is he up to? I was really excited about this kid when we traded for him. They must of thought very highly of him to do that, and everything I read says he is one of the best shooters over there.

jcrod
02-24-2006, 12:16 AM

Just notin'.

But he can't work out with the team, right?? How bout with the coachs?

Kori Ellis
02-24-2006, 12:19 AM
I have no comment in regards to what he's been doing here :)

jcrod
02-24-2006, 12:27 AM

:lol Ahh, come on, I won't tell.

Peter
02-24-2006, 12:28 AM
That's interesting. My guess is that they want to see what they have and they don't want to incur the lux tax expense to bring him into the fold today.

Mr. Body
02-24-2006, 12:55 AM

Parking cars? No?

caŽlo
02-24-2006, 02:51 AM

including me. i thought he was a vet or something. hehe

Streakyshooter08
02-24-2006, 04:54 AM
Well I had the idea of signing TT some week ago. I think adding a player for the vet min is never a big risk, espescially if he is 6'10 and able to knock down a 3. If he doesn't work out: sit him or waive him... I hope it works out.

Obstructed_View
02-24-2006, 10:51 AM
including me. i thought he was a vet or something. hehe
He came out in the same draft as Duncan. I remember hoping the Spurs might get him because I didn't figure we had a shot at Timmy.

Peter
02-24-2006, 01:19 PM
He came out in the same draft as Duncan. I remember hoping the Spurs might get him because I didn't figure we had a shot at Timmy.

He's also about a year younger than TD. He has plenty of basketball left. It'd be great to have him in SA, but that seems like a long shot.

Kori Ellis
02-25-2006, 03:30 AM
Thomas update

While the Knicks' lineup is set for the rest of the season, the Nets are still awaiting a buyout between the Chicago Bulls and Tim Thomas. The two sides continued talks Friday.

New Jersey, San Antonio and Philadelphia will compete for Thomas' services if he is bought out and waived before March 1, the last day he would be eligible to play in the playoffs.

Because the Bulls are competing with the 76ers for the eighth playoff spot, Chicago could fashion a buyout that would give Thomas more money by not re-signing with Philadelphia.

Thomas is owed what remains of the $13.975 million he made this season. The Nets can only offer a pro-rated league minimum of over $300,000.

Greater returns

The Nets made it known Friday that they also acquired two trade exceptions (one for $2 million and another for $719,000), along with small forward Bostjan Nachbar, from the New Orleans Hornets when they traded Marc Jackson and Linton Johnson III on Thursday.

The Nets have one year to use each trade exception. They can not be combined.

Nachbar is expected to join the Nets today.

http://www.c-n.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060225/SPORTS01/602250355/1011

Kori Ellis
02-25-2006, 03:31 AM
Because the Bulls are competing with the 76ers for the eighth playoff spot, Chicago could fashion a buyout that would give Thomas more money by not re-signing with Philadelphia.

I didn't know they could put conditions like that on a buyout. :wtf

yourtehclay
02-25-2006, 04:27 AM
^^^
I don't think it's possible

I'd this guy could be a decent addition but part of me doesn't want it. We need to develop chemistry now.

Despot
02-25-2006, 01:08 PM

Would whatever scenario he is alluding to prevent him from signing with any teams?? Are teams required to pay a waived player the remainder of the salary that is left after the buyout or do they just pay the pro-rated minimum salary? I'm confused.

Rynospursfan
02-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Yes a player can be signed at a Pro-rated minimum contract. As long as he clears waivers, which in this case is no problem since his contract was so ourtragous.

Peter
02-25-2006, 02:46 PM
I didn't know they could put conditions like that on a buyout. :wtf

Obviously that would be awesome from the Spurs' POV, but it doesn't sound right. Per the CBA FAQ a team and player can agree to how the remainder of the salary under the contract is paid out, among other issues. Maybe that's the angle.

Rynospursfan
02-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Yeah that doesn't sound right to me either but a buyout is a deal between the team and the player so unless the CBA specificly has a rule against this it may be a possiblity. It just seems like if teams could negotiate such terms they would have in the past. You never want to build a division or conference rival.

Streakyshooter08
02-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Any news here? TT needs to be under contract by wednesday to be able to play in the playoffs, right? I wonder what the Bulls will do...

grjr
02-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Yeah that doesn't sound right to me either but a buyout is a deal between the team and the player so unless the CBA specificly has a rule against this it may be a possiblity. It just seems like if teams could negotiate such terms they would have in the past. You never want to build a division or conference rival.

Not counting the amnesty thing with Finley, how often have teams waived a player and then worried about him helping a rival? Seems to me if the BUlls think he could help someone else that much then maybe they should just play him.