PDA

View Full Version : Argentina Wins the Gold

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-28-2004, 06:30 PM
Congrats, especially to Spurs Manu Ginobili and (hopefully) Luis Scola.

ducks
08-28-2004, 06:31 PM
thanks the game here in az is about to come :tyson

ducks
08-28-2004, 06:32 PM
usa game just got over

hegamboa
08-28-2004, 06:35 PM
If there were an award for the MVP of the tournament, it would go to Ginobili...

I agree with Whott's comment on that other thread:

that settles the argument that Parker and Ginobili for TMac was ridiculous.... No way a team led by Ginobili loses 19 in a row.

Congratulations Manu!!!

P.S. are the silver jerseys only available at the SBC center... I can't find them online anywhere.

danyel
08-28-2004, 06:36 PM
This is just unbelievable, too much...2 gold medals on the same day on the two most popular sports in the country.

Manu = God = Maradona

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-28-2004, 06:38 PM
I was watching thinking Manu's impact on the bball court for his country was on par with some of the Brazilian greats. Not a big reach.

KoriEllis
08-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Congrats to Manu, the Argentinean basketball and soccer teams and the country.

Good job, Manu/Scola.

Montecchia (sp?) had some key shots to put this one away.

adidas11
08-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Congrats to Gabriele Heinz for winning the gold medal.

Whottt
08-28-2004, 06:42 PM
Manu is a worldwide star...he's played everywhere and everyone knows what a great player he is.

Das Texan
08-28-2004, 06:43 PM
congrats to all those in argentina and to the players that brought home gold for argentina.

to those that wanted to trade manu.

crack kills.

danyel
08-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Congrats to Gabriele Heinz for winning the gold medal.

I don't know where you take your soccer knowledge from but Gabriel Heinze is just a very good defender.

Tevez was the star of the team scoring 8 goals and leading the tournament in scoring.

hegamboa
08-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Is it too much of a reach for Pop to ease back on the leash he currently has on Ginobili's style?

Is it too much of a reach to think Ginobili could be on the all-star team next year?

adidas11
08-28-2004, 06:46 PM
I mention Gabriel Heinz, because he plays for my favorite soccer team, Manchester United. And yes, I realize that he's a defender. Valued at 6.9 million pounds.

:next3

Das Texan
08-28-2004, 06:47 PM
If Pop lengthens the leash on Manu...he is an allstar.

ducks
08-28-2004, 06:48 PM
wonder what spurs could trade manu for right now ?
not that I would trade him

CrazyOne
08-28-2004, 06:49 PM
If anyone is interested, I recorded the game. Each half is about 500 megs, VCR quality mpeg files.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-28-2004, 06:49 PM
Forget lengthening it, he needs to take it off altogether.

The fourth quarters should be Manu time in SA.

Fizzzar
08-28-2004, 06:50 PM
Adidas... it's HeinzE :spin

Das Texan
08-28-2004, 06:51 PM
would pop ever take it off completely though?

adidas11
08-28-2004, 06:52 PM
Thank you for the correction, Fizzar.

IcemanCometh
Olympic soccer doesn't mean dick compared to World Cup soccer. And Argentina hasn't won dick in anything major in 11 years and their fans are getting pissed, tho they do have a promising player.

While basketball is popular in Argentina it simply doesn't come close to football. Manu isn't even close to the most popular athelete in argentina, probably not even top 10, all football players. Maradonna is a fat coked out toad and everyone still treats him like a god.

Whottt
He was real close to making it this year...you guys in Argentina need to get better net access so you can vote for him...that's what decides it...hopefully he'll get more votes overseas after his performance...it's a given that Kobe is going to be in the All Star Game...but Manu should push anyone else in the NBA for that other spot because of his versatility.

As for Pop cutting the leash on him...he started doing it more this year...I think he's going to do it more and more as time goes by...

I think the reason Manu was moved to the bench this year was so we could run the ball through him some when Duncan was out of the game.

This season, I think we are going to run and be wide open a lot more.....Manu and Barry are going to be awesome together...they both like to run, they are both big guards that can pass, rebound and cut to the basket...If Manu learns to shoot 3's like Barry does...Spurs will roll over everyone this season.

Das Texan
08-28-2004, 06:57 PM
If Manu becomes consistent from outside and parker continues to mature....

I feel sorry for the rest of the league.

Especially when Spurs defense is played.

smeagol
08-28-2004, 06:59 PM
I mention Gabriel Heinz, because he plays for my favorite soccer team, Manchester United. And yes, I realize that he's a defender. Valued at 6.9 million pounds.

Adidas, I guess its an odd thing for us Argentines to hear someone give props to a defensive player of a soccer team that just one the Gold. Heinze is a great player, don't get me wrong, but 75% of the players in that team play in Europe. Tevez and D'Alessandro were the real playmakers and are probbaly worth north of $15MM each.

hegamboa
08-28-2004, 07:04 PM
If Manu becomes consistent from outside

I only think that's a small part of it... Manu's jump shot is streaky at best...

The role he embraces well and the one he needs to continue to provide is as the team's slasher, cutter. Plus he brings all the other intangibles that passionate players like him are capable of donning.

spurster
08-28-2004, 07:10 PM
I guess Argentina was my second choice if the US lost somewhere along the way, but it's still weird to see all these (mostly) no-name teams beat the US. I thought 2002 was an aberration, but I guess it will become the norm (in the sense that the US will never again dominate like the original dream team did). Note that the US women's team was pressed during their semifinal and final game, and they have a lot of international experience.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-28-2004, 07:15 PM
We don't need Manu to become a great outside shooter.

We need to step outside the box and realize that Manu is more of a point guard than Tony will ever be, and that Tony is more of a true shooting guard than Manu will ever be.

Put the ball in Manu's hands on offense and allow him to create, and let Tony fill the role of scoring guard.

timvp
08-28-2004, 07:18 PM
Congrats to Argentina. By showing the world you can win with that style of team offense, you've just helped the game of basketball.

Thanks.

adidas11
08-28-2004, 07:44 PM
Yes Smeagol, I realize that. I was just throwing some levity into the thread, that's all.

LeoARG
08-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Hell yeaaaah!!

Well, that's it.Manu is now right there with Maradona and Fangio.

But to me, he is the only one that makes me proud.
He is the only man that I take as a model, he is so humble, not only when he talks to the media, but in the court, he will be happy if he is a distraction.

Basketball is popular in most of the big cities, but this is big, because those sick for soccer here in Buenos Aires will learn that there is a sport in which we are the best and is way more exciting to watch.
When Manu and the others visit the President I hope they demand him more bball courts in Buenos Aires.I have to walk 20 blocks to play in one.

AND ONE THING FOR GOD SAKE:

COME ON NBA's teams, WTF are you doing?Why Oberto doesn't have a contract?Are they blind?He is at least a great player for the bench, he has played at the same level with Duncan, the best Pf on the NBA and has been looking good every time.

Pepe loves to play on the NBA,he is worthy, he has developed and outside shot that makes him really tough to handle.

Scola will be right there in 2006, I will wait for it,so he can win a ring on the NBA too.

SpursWoman
08-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Why Oberto doesn't have a contract?

Wasn't he asking for more than the Spurs could offer? I dunno about other teams, though.

LeoARG
08-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Well, there are 29 other teams in the NBA...

I hope someone at least offers him what he is worth, Chicago did with Nocioni, so it's not impossible.

DuffMcCartney
08-28-2004, 08:58 PM
Oberto signed with a European team I believe.

smeagol
08-28-2004, 09:12 PM
While basketball is popular in Argentina it simply doesn't come close to football. Manu isn't even close to the most popular athlete in Argentina, probably not even top 10, all football players

Iceman, although your first sentence is correct, you are dead wrong on the last one. Manu was undoubtedly top 10 most popular athlete in Argentina and after today he is going to be top three.

Maradonna is a fat coked out toad and everyone still treats him like a god.

Maradona (only one en) is truly an embarrassment. Its beyond me how people in my country still idolize him. Inside a soccer field, nobody did the things he did (not even Pelé). But his behavior outside the field is a disgrace.

I feel sorry for him. He will not live to see 50 if he does not change his ways.

ducks
08-28-2004, 10:52 PM
GINOBILI, the tournament's fourth best scorer with 19.3 points per game, had the highest two-point shooting accuracy (70.8 per cent) of anyone and ranked seventh in both average assists and steals.
On an Argentine roster replete with players who are professionals in Europe, forward Luis SCOLA led his team with 25 points in the final and averaged 17.6 for the tournament.

www.athens2004.com/athens2004/page/home (http://www.athens2004.com/athens2004/page/home)

SpursWoman
08-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Manu's jersey's are flying on ebay. :lol :shock

Shelly
08-29-2004, 12:04 AM
Did you get one for a penny? :lol

SpursWoman
08-29-2004, 12:23 AM
No, but I got a #5 (my lucky number, btw :wink ) Argentina, autographed one for...ummmm.. a good price?

I like the colors. :angel

ShineOnYouCrazyManu
08-29-2004, 12:40 AM
I've got plenty Argentinian shirts, Manu's white, blue, Scola's blue, and one blue without any number or name on it.

But I won't sell them, not even for all the money in the world....oh, wait...:spin

E20
08-29-2004, 01:54 AM
I got an authentic Ginobili SAS jersey. Hoping to get it signed whenever the Spurs play the Warriors. Anywas Congratualtions to Argentina for winning gold in B-Ball and Soccer. Go Manu!

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-29-2004, 02:43 AM
eBay Manu fever huh? It might be time to unload some of my cards of his...

tomyfs
08-29-2004, 02:47 AM
Hi LeoArg , im another spur-argentinian fan. I totally agree with you with Oberto.

Like you said, Soccer here in agrentina is by far the most popular sport. However, i can tell you 10 or 20 great famous football players, but ginobili is for sure one of the most famous here. Since he played the world championship and then, sign with SAS and win the NBA championship.

Im proud of our bball team, i think our humble and solidarity type of game, good use of tactics and our great guts gives us the chance to win US. Although this US team isnt the best the NBA can form, I think it was a good team who didnt want to play for bronze. So?, I think NBA should keep an eye on argentinian players. They are different from europeans, they play tough, they have big guts, they are agressive as NBA fans like,etc. The weak point they have is that they arent as strong as afro athletes. Think, in this team 5 of the 12 members were, are or will be NBA players(Sanchez, Manu, Nocioni, Delfino and Wolkowisky), and Oberto, Scola and Hermann can easily play also, or at least i think so.

LeoARG
08-29-2004, 12:12 PM
True...

We are not soft-euros, so I guess we can adjust better to the NBA.

ducks
08-29-2004, 01:21 PM
GINOBILI, the tournament's fourth best scorer with 19.3 points per game, had the highest two-point shooting accuracy (70.8 per cent) of anyone and ranked seventh in both average assists and steals.
On an Argentine roster replete with players who are professionals in Europe, forward Luis SCOLA led his team with 25 points in the final and averaged 17.6 for the tournament.

www.athens2004.com/en/Lat...130c0a____ (http://www.athens2004.com/en/LatestNews/newslist?item=6d9b42b9386aef00VgnVCM4000002b130c0a ____)

E20
08-29-2004, 02:01 PM
Aggie, If your gonna sell some cards look at E20 ;) Hope Ginobili's shooting FG% can stay around the same way in SA.