PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between Spurs & Mavs

George Gervin's Afro
02-24-2006, 02:45 PM
One thing I have noticed about the Mvas is that they allow other teams to beat themselves.. last night for example Memphis had multiple opportunities to pull away in the 4th qtr but memphis never ran set plays or threw away passes.. it is amazing to see them self destruct.. The difference is that the Spurs will not beat themselves.. these 12 qtrs for the Mavs will not work against the Spurs.. I was amazed to see all of the bad decisions that memphis was making.. bad passes, horrible shots, they seemed to be lost during the last few minutes of the 4th qtr... The Spurs will neither beat themselves and will execute during the final minutes of a game. The Mavs do try and run whenever they can but in the playoffs every possesion is key whether it is the second possession of the game or the second to the last..both are equal in their importance..So does Josh Howard try and drive and take a contested running hook shot? or does he pull it out for a set play and good shot? does terry pull up on a break and shoot a jumpshot with no one under the basket? or does he pull up and wait for his guys to set up.. these decisions are huge...... The Spurs run the same plays during the final 2 minutes of the game that they do during the prior 46 minutes..no change just keep pounding away.. The Mavs will have to make good decisions in the final moments of a game.. do you pull up and shoot the jumper knowing you need a good shot? or do you wait?..this will make the mavs hesitant and will require for them to think as opposed to play.... I cannot see the mavs outexecuting the SPurs in a 7 game series..

Gamabunta
02-24-2006, 02:47 PM
3 secs till Mavs fan blames Memphis inability to do said things on their "defense"

George Gervin's Afro
02-24-2006, 02:48 PM
3 secs till Mavs fan blames Memphis inability to do said things on their "defense"

there as one possession where mike miller was bringing the ball up on a fast break and he tried to bounce a pass throug the lane with 3 maverick defenders sitting there..I was thinking "what in the hell are you doing?

TOP-CHERRY
02-24-2006, 02:48 PM
Plus the Spurs have tremendous playoffs & Finals experience. That's big.

Trainwreck2100
02-24-2006, 02:51 PM
there as one possession where mike miller was bringing the ball up on a fast break and he tried to bounce a pass throug the lane with 3 maverick defenders sitting there..I was thinking "what in the hell are you doing?

He was obviously afraid of Mav reinforcements.

DDS4
02-24-2006, 03:15 PM
I can't wait til Thursday.

Gamabunta
02-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Difference Between Spurs & Mavs

Light Years

lilmads
02-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Plus the Spurs have tremendous playoffs & Finals experience. That's big.

It's really big. The Spurs have been there and done it. The Mavs haven't.

Joepa
02-24-2006, 03:19 PM
It's fricking huge.

aaronstampler
02-24-2006, 03:22 PM
how about

1) We win in the playoffs

2) Our owner isn't a gigantic assclown

3) Our best player isn't a defensive liability

4) Our coach doesn't go insane with the media after playoff losses

5) Their fans hope to win, our fans expect to win

Trainwreck2100
02-24-2006, 03:23 PM
how about

1) We win in the playoffs

2) Our owner isn't a gigantic assclown

3) Our best player isn't a defensive liability

4) Our coach doesn't go insane with the media after playoff losses

5) Their fans hope to win, our fans expect to win

That could be up for debate, have you seen those Dahill commercials.

Joepa
02-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Our owner is a walking heart attack. You seen that guy's face? Looks like he's going to kill over at any moment.

Trainwreck2100
02-24-2006, 03:31 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/middle_man_/mavs22nz.jpg

The Mavs logo is real easy to parody, and the Spurs isn't

TOP-CHERRY
02-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Haha

DET
02-24-2006, 03:37 PM
The Man upstairs was looking down on the spurs franchise when Duncan fell into their laps. The odds were not in your favor. With Duncan, you could win with many different role players on this team. If you have a dominant big man, you are well on your way. Duncan is the difference and no one else. Period!

TOP-CHERRY
02-24-2006, 03:38 PM
^ That's freakin true.

mavsfan1000
02-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Yeah every team that plays the mavs tends to beat themselves. What a coincidence? :rolleyes

dougp
02-24-2006, 03:44 PM
haha that's great Trainwreck lol

Gamabunta
02-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Spurs=New England Patriots
Mavs=Atlanta Braves

Joepa
02-24-2006, 03:46 PM
The Man upstairs was looking down on the spurs franchise when Duncan fell into their laps. The odds were not in your favor. With Duncan, you could win with many different role players on this team. If you have a dominant big man, you are well on your way. Duncan is the difference and no one else. Period!

Is this guy serious?

Trainwreck2100
02-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Is this guy serious?

His name's DET but he's listed as a Spurs fan?

himat
02-24-2006, 03:48 PM
the difference is that the spurs are better. the mav's i only like are howard, and stackhouse. i'm okay with terry too.

TOP-CHERRY
02-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Is this guy serious?
Damn I didn't see that part

DET
02-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Sorry guys, that is just my initials. I did not realize the default team selected is the Spurs. I live in Dallas but was born in SA. I always try to go for local teams. Doesn't bother me that the Spurs win at all. My hometown. 90% of my family is in SA. I have best of both worlds. I have the Cowboys, Mavs and Spurs. Been waiting for Mavs to do something. Not sure when it will happen. May never happen. I won't jump off a bridge about it.

MoSpur
02-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Mavs=Atlanta Braves

How about Mavs = Buffalo Bills or

Dirk = Dan Marino

Trainwreck2100
02-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Dirk = Dan Marino

Cept Dan made it to the Super Bowl

mavsfan1000
02-24-2006, 04:02 PM
Mavs of 06=72 Dolphins. They actually lost big games before they finally won it.

Joepa
02-24-2006, 04:04 PM
But... The 72 Dolphins went undefeated?

Trainwreck2100
02-24-2006, 04:08 PM
But... The 72 Dolphins went undefeated?

Maybe they lost in the preseason.

http://www.ezekielbearsports.com/bbs/images/yahoo/thinking.gif

George Gervin's Afro
02-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Yeah every team that plays the mavs tends to beat themselves. What a coincidence? :rolleyes

MEMPHIS BLEW BOTH GAMES AGAINST THE MAVS.. THEY MISSED 2 FREE THROWS IN MEMPHIS WITH LESS THAN 10 SECONDS LEFT AND UP BY 2.... LET ME GUESS THE MAVS WENT OUT AND WON THAT? OR DID MEMPHIS LOSE? LAST NIGHT MEMPHIS IN THE 4TH QTR AS WELL AS THE CLIPPERS... WERE UN DISCIPLINED AND THE MAVS SCORED LESS THAN 15 POINTS IN EACH QTR... I'LL LET YOU IN ON SOMETHING THE SPURS WILL NOT THROW AWAY PASSES AND DIRK WON'T BLOCK DUNCAN OR GINOBILLI..HEY THE MAVS HAPPEN TO BE BETTER THAN 27 TEAMS.. JUST NOT BETTER THAN DETROIT OR THE SPURS..

leemajors
02-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Mavs=Atlanta Braves

braves have been to several world series and won one. invalid analogy.

mavsfan1000
02-24-2006, 04:53 PM
MEMPHIS BLEW BOTH GAMES AGAINST THE MAVS.. THEY MISSED 2 FREE THROWS IN MEMPHIS WITH LESS THAN 10 SECONDS LEFT AND UP BY 2.... LET ME GUESS THE MAVS WENT OUT AND WON THAT? OR DID MEMPHIS LOSE? LAST NIGHT MEMPHIS IN THE 4TH QTR AS WELL AS THE CLIPPERS... WERE UN DISCIPLINED AND THE MAVS SCORED LESS THAN 15 POINTS IN EACH QTR... I'LL LET YOU IN ON SOMETHING THE SPURS WILL NOT THROW AWAY PASSES AND DIRK WON'T BLOCK DUNCAN OR GINOBILLI..HEY THE MAVS HAPPEN TO BE BETTER THAN 27 TEAMS.. JUST NOT BETTER THAN DETROIT OR THE SPURS..
You must actually think you know something with all the caps you have in your post. The fact is Memphis played exceptional to get that lead and than gave the mavs a chance to win and they did. This is fucking bs if you think Dallas wins due to other teams losing. :idiot

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2006, 05:21 PM
I live in Dallas now and I've watched bits and pieces of some Mavs games (reluctantly and only when nothing else was on)

I have to say they're damn good. But, lets remind ourselves, they've always been damn good.
Espn'ers are blowing up saying how "mavs spurs showdown, ohhh who will come out between mavs spurs"

what they seem to forget is that this season
last season

every season

for the past 5 or so seasons HCA has always came down to Mavs-Spurs, with a slight exception here and there

Nothing's really changed, except the Mavs are playing better D and they've been rebounding well since ~2 years ago.

They don't scare me as much as before... Steve Nash scared me...That guy has "Killer Instinct" (see games 1 2 3 4 5 of phoenix series last year)

Dirk is a bad ass...he's improved...he's clutch...but he does not have Killer Instinct. At least I have yet to see that.

Jason Terry does not scare me. Stackhouse doesn't. What scares me about this years mavs are their two athletic defending swingmen, Howard and Daniels.

However....Alot of teams have athletic swingmen. Memphis has them. And we owned Memphis. Sure Dallas has experience and leadership that Memphis only dreams they had right now, but its not enough to make Mavs own us.

Mavs scare me, but they've always scared me. As long as Duncan is on that floor, and our two guards are healthy, we can beat hte mavs. But it won't come easy. We will win, but the gap between Mavs and Spurs is very narrow this year.

Just my two cents.

George Gervin's Afro
02-24-2006, 05:21 PM
You must actually think you know something with all the caps you have in your post. The fact is Memphis played exceptional to get that lead and than gave the mavs a chance to win and they did. This is fucking bs if you think Dallas wins due to other teams losing. :idiot

just watch and see how mediocre teams fail to execute in the 4th qtr.. the psitons nor the spurs choke it up...The Spurs execute during crunch time.. mavs have never closed the deal and to expect them to suddenly overcome their shortcomings during the playoffs is quite idiocy?.. i understand you have your homer glasses on but try and step back and watch the bad teams throw away passes, take bad shots, make mental errors, take bad fouls.... since your team has never finished the deal you would not understand what i am talking about..

leemajors
02-24-2006, 05:39 PM
from what i read, howard was out with an ankle sprain and dirk and terry won this game basically by themselves. i could maybe see your point if dallas hadn't won by TEN points. if they missed some fts towards the end and lost by 2 or 3, maybe. but they lost by 10.

mavsfan1000
02-24-2006, 05:52 PM
just watch and see how mediocre teams fail to execute in the 4th qtr.. the psitons nor the spurs choke it up...The Spurs execute during crunch time.. mavs have never closed the deal and to expect them to suddenly overcome their shortcomings during the playoffs is quite idiocy?.. i understand you have your homer glasses on but try and step back and watch the bad teams throw away passes, take bad shots, make mental errors, take bad fouls.... since your team has never finished the deal you would not understand what i am talking about..
I'll take my homer glasses if you do the same. The spurs you could say the same thing about. Teams (Pacers) have choked against the spurs as well. When the spurs play an elite team and beat them at a high percentage (like the mavs and pistons) than you can be talking. So far this year they haven't done that.

MoSpur
02-24-2006, 05:55 PM
I'll take my homer glasses if you do the same. The spurs you could say the same thing about. Teams (Pacers) have choked against the spurs as well. When the spurs play an elite team and beat them at a high percentage (like the mavs and pistons) than you can be talking. So far this year they haven't done that.

You're talking about the regular season. Thats good, but not good enough.

mavsfan1000
02-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Well the spurs were always good in the regular in the past. Maybe if you were talking about the pistons last year it would be a good point since they still got to the finals. 1-4 against the Pistons, Suns, and Mavs. Not a good sign.

leemajors
02-24-2006, 05:59 PM
we beat the suns and the mavs. 2-3 isn't great but it's not 1-4

mavsfan1000
02-24-2006, 06:04 PM
Jan 7 Spurs 86 Suns 91.

Bruno
02-24-2006, 06:25 PM
2-4
1-1 at home
1-3 on the road
At least, troll with the right numbers.