PDA

View Full Version : The end of Tim as we know him?

Joepa
02-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Tim Duncan is having his worst statistical year ever in PPG, Off RPG, and blocks. For the first time in his career, he is averaging under 20 ppg (still very good numbers, just low for Tim.)

Do you all think that he's going into the twilight years and a permanent gradual decline, or that these numbers are an abberation due to his injury?

TOP-CHERRY
02-24-2006, 03:58 PM
or that these numbers are an abberation due to his injury?
that + Parker

FromWayDowntown
02-24-2006, 03:59 PM
I'd say that NBA coaches are voting on that issue with the near-constant double and sometimes even triple teams that they send at Tim. Either they think he's still very dangerous and far from slipping, or they've just decided to give him that much attention for old times' sake. I'm thinking that it's the former and not the latter.

Mixability
02-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Trade Him!

:rolleyes

Trainwreck2100
02-24-2006, 04:00 PM
SPaM

mavsfan1000
02-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Who is better? Duncan or Parker? :lol

Joepa
02-24-2006, 04:03 PM
Damn... a pop quiz.

Gonna have to still say TIMMAH on this one.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Tim Duncan is having his worst statistical year ever in PPG, Off RPG, and blocks. For the first time in his career, he is averaging under 20 ppg (still very good numbers, just low for Tim.)

Do you all think that he's going into the twilight years and a permanent gradual decline, or that these numbers are an abberation due to his injury?

Duncan started off the season playing really well, once his Plantar Faciatis started bothering him, his stats dropped off considerably (remember, he led the league in double doubles for most of the early season).

Joepa
02-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Hopefully we get to enjoy his play for a few more years. I really want to see him become more aggressive here in the final stretch because we're going to need that in the playoffs.

Budkin
02-24-2006, 04:18 PM
This season it's defintely the PF that is making it tough for him. In the games following his treatments he has played noticeably better. I think we can all look forward to at least 3 more years of Tim in his prime.

leemajors
02-24-2006, 04:19 PM
weren't the other 50 threads started about this topic enough? timmy is hurt...

Joepa
02-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Damn there's been 50 huh? Wow. Well, I'm sorry that I've been so redundant.

/sarcasm

Obstructed_View
02-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Timmy sucks.

As I've said before, if Timmy can get 20 and 10 just by showing up, he can do it for the next 15 years.

leemajors
02-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Damn there's been 50 huh? Wow. Well, I'm sorry that I've been so redundant.

/sarcasm

it's hard to imagine you could have not seen the threads popping up from people who do not understand that tim duncan has PF, a very painful condition affecting the tendon running under the foot. it typically lasts 4-6 months and there is no treatment proven to be consistently effective. it is very painful and really affects him on back to backs.

ZStomp
02-24-2006, 04:56 PM
:depressed

Joepa
02-24-2006, 05:00 PM
It's all good dude. Roll with it.

I know that he has PF, but I have not read anyone begin a discussion as to whether he was moving into the downslope of his career.

aaronstampler
02-24-2006, 05:06 PM
PF or no PF, people who are Tim's age and Tim's height don't get better, they just get worse. I love the guy, he's been our best player for 3 rings, but this year or next is probably his last shot to be our best player for a fourth. In the near future the primary scorers of this club will be TP and Manu and Tim will have to transition into a defense rebounding role like Robinson did. It'd be nice to be able to pick up a PF with some scoring skills (like Scola) in the next couple years and have Timmy move over to the five...

Mrs.Szczerbiak
02-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Awwww. Timmy just needs rest. :) He'll be back soon. Don't worry.

2centsworth
02-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Injuries are usually the reason why the great ones go into decline. It's probably the beginning of the end, but he coming down from a very high point so he'll be very good for awhile.

Kori Ellis
02-24-2006, 05:22 PM
PF or no PF, people who are Tim's age and Tim's height don't get better, they just get worse. ..

That's a pretty inaccurate blanket statement.

Look at Abdul-Jabbar for example or other great bigs, their stats pretty much improved until they were 32-34. Bigman peak is usually considered early 30's. Tim isn't even 30 yet.

It's a bad year for him because of the plantar fasciitis, but you can't really tell if he's on the decline yet.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-24-2006, 05:22 PM
I'd say that NBA coaches are voting on that issue with the near-constant double and sometimes even triple teams that they send at Tim. Either they think he's still very dangerous and far from slipping, or they've just decided to give him that much attention for old times' sake. I'm thinking that it's the former and not the latter.

I'm not even going to try to better that.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2006, 05:24 PM

Look at Abdul-Jabbar for example or other great bigs, their stats pretty much improved until they were 32-34. Bigman peak is usually considered early 30's. Tim isn't even 30 yet.

It's a bad year for him because of the plantar fasciitis, but you can't really tell if he's on the decline yet.

Don't forget Olajuwan...up until the back injuries he was getting better and better too, maybe not stat numbers-wise but he became smarter and more cunning

Peter
02-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Are Spurs fans trying to scare themselves? The real thing to be concerned about is if ownership is going to pay to keep the Big 3 surrounded with the best supporting cast possible.

spursfaninla
02-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Is there any doubt that Peter = marcus?

question.

Sec24Row7
02-24-2006, 05:43 PM
They aren't going to lose money to win championships, but they will get the best people that they can with what money they can spend and still be profitable.

cheguevara
02-24-2006, 05:45 PM
he will play for real in the playoffs, where it matters. He is pulling a Horry this season. no worries. The injury is preventing him from being old Timmy but great players turn in on in the playoffs. he will.

MoSpur
02-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Marcus who?

leemajors
02-24-2006, 05:58 PM

hakeem too, he was unstoppable in his early 30s

2centsworth
02-24-2006, 06:02 PM
It's not his age that will slow him down, it's the injuries. Except for Kareem who was a freak of nature most big men get injured a lot at the end of their careers. Like our favorite son David Robinson.

Bruno
02-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Are Spurs fans trying to scare themselves? The real thing to be concerned about is if ownership is going to pay to keep the Big 3 surrounded with the best supporting cast possible.

Peter :lol Holt isn't that cheap.
Spurs are one of the seven team who will pay the Luxury Tax this year.

mavsfan1000
02-24-2006, 06:13 PM
I guess it is the end of the dominating Tim Duncan but he still is a great all-around player.

infinite styles
02-24-2006, 06:29 PM
If Duncan can get his PF controlled after the season then I look for him to return next year with the domination that he's had in years passed. You can't discount the fact that Tony is having a career year and with the way the Spurs play your not really going to get 2 or even 3 guys avg. over 20 a game. They rely on everybody on the team to produce instead of 1 guy avg. 25-30. I'm waiting to get to the playoffs cause his role will be greater and we should see a difference then.

SequSpur
02-24-2006, 06:51 PM

Tim Duncan hasn't been double teamed in 6 months.

z0sa
02-24-2006, 07:45 PM
all I know is that Tim is definitely not on the decline. I'm betting he gets about 90% max by playoff time, then next season after a summer of rest hes 100% again.

AI-square
02-24-2006, 08:25 PM
No way. He is playing through a serious injury now but I can foresee that he will remain dominant for another 2-3 years, barring any career-threatening injury.

exstatic
02-24-2006, 08:39 PM
PF or no PF, people who are Tim's age and Tim's height don't get better, they just get worse. I love the guy, he's been our best player for 3 rings, but this year or next is probably his last shot to be our best player for a fourth. In the near future the primary scorers of this club will be TP and Manu and Tim will have to transition into a defense rebounding role like Robinson did. It'd be nice to be able to pick up a PF with some scoring skills (like Scola) in the next couple years and have Timmy move over to the five...

Horsecrap. Tim's game is played "close to the floor". Once the PF clears, he'll be the same player he has been, and for a long time. He's not a high flyer like Amare. His game is based on smarts and moves.

David Robinson WAS a high flyer, and he was still averaging respectable numbers as a sidekick, with horrible back pain thrown into the mix, at the age of 37.

Rummpd
02-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Well said about big men tending to get better with age at least until mid 30s.

Peter
02-24-2006, 10:49 PM
Duncan surely regressed tonight.

thekingrobert
02-24-2006, 11:03 PM
pls ban anyone who keep asking stupid ass questions like this, 1st if anyone plays basketball or understands basketball then u know whats wrong with timmy it just annoys me that dumb asses keep questioning is he done the fact that he was out there last year on 2 bad ankles and he is out there on a bad foot says it all. also if he was done he wouldnt be rebounding his only problem is he is not sticking to the post and shooting more jumpers now STFU already

phyzik
02-24-2006, 11:11 PM
pls ban anyone who keep asking stupid ass questions like this, 1st if anyone plays basketball or understands basketball then u know whats wrong with timmy it just annoys me that dumb asses keep questioning is he done the fact that he was out there last year on 2 bad ankles and he is out there on a bad foot says it all. also if he was done he wouldnt be rebounding his only problem is he is not sticking to the post and shooting more jumpers now STFU already

In Honor of Peter....

"sounds like someones got a case of the Mondays" :elephant

http://www.reelwavs.com/movies/office_space/mondays.wav

thekingrobert
02-24-2006, 11:15 PM
no mondays i just got me a white duncan jersey this week and imo i think hes saving his body for the playoffs and hoping tony and manu takes up the load

infinite styles
02-24-2006, 11:49 PM
How can you say he regressed tonight when he scored 19pts in a month where he is averaging less than 15. If you ask me he's getting right back on track! :elephant :lol

Peter
02-25-2006, 12:00 AM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=facetious

yourtehclay
02-25-2006, 04:34 AM
When Tony started the season on fire, I thought we'd go to him until teams worked out how to stop him. The once teams stopped him or slowed him, Timmy would take over again. Tony is a scorer and the spurs have to utilise that. Tim on the other hand can contribute in many other areas.

So basically the offense is running through parker a lot more

boutons_
02-25-2006, 08:59 AM
"So basically the offense is running through parker a lot more"

but the Spurs can't run the defense through Tony, and it's paint defense where Tim's PF will be most damaging in the playoffs.

samikeyp
02-25-2006, 11:44 AM
If Tim is totally healthy and doing this...maybe....until he gets fully healed...the jury will still be out.

SouthernFried
02-25-2006, 11:58 AM
Playoffs will be interesting. Tony's numbers will go way down...playoff basketball is a whole different animal, and his driving and getting points in the paint, will be much rarer.

Timmy's role will dramatically increase. That's when we'll really see how bad he's hurt.

Manu's role will be the key, especially if we end up against Detroit. Playoff's is ManuTime.

Ayup, gonna get real interesting.