PDA

View Full Version : Delk waived

Bruno
02-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Hawks Press Release - The Atlanta Hawks today waived veteran guard Tony Delk, according to Executive Vice President/General Manager Billy Knight.

In his 10th season from the University of Kentucky, Delk played in one regular season game for the Hawks this year (Feb. 12 at Sacramento), scoring two points in seven minutes. Over his career, he has averaged 9.2 ppg, 2.5 rpg and 1.9 apg (.407 FG%, .340 3FG%, .771 FT%) in 522 regular season contests.

I post that for our dear Pistons fans.
I think he is the best player available as backup PG after the Arroyo trade.

FreshPrince22
02-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Get er done Dumars!!!!

infinite styles
02-24-2006, 06:24 PM
As soon as I saw that I figured that the Pistons would all over it. Hopefully the Spurs could pick him up just to piss the Pistons off. :lol

Darrin
02-24-2006, 06:26 PM
January 2, 2001 - 53 points, 6 rebounds, 1 steal in 50 minutes for Mr. Tony Delk in a 117-121 loss to Sacramento in ARCO Arena. He made no three-pointers (0-1) and made 13 of his 15 free throws. 20-27 from the field. Dayam!

He played in the Conference Finals with the Boston Celtics in 2002.

Darrin
02-24-2006, 06:29 PM
As soon as I saw that I figured that the Pistons would all over it. Hopefully the Spurs could pick him up just to piss the Pistons off. :lol

Are the Spurs suddenly run by Rod Thorn?

infinite styles
02-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Are the Spurs suddenly run by Rod Thorn?

Naw thats just the NBA Live way of running a team. But I'm sure if the Spurs expressed interest in him then Thorn would jump all over him.

Pandaemonaeon
02-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Why didn't the Hawks use him? When he was in Dallas he was Mike James Jr. but for some reason he can't beat Royal Ivey (a talented player but not better than Delk) for a rotation spot? It's either he's on a downward spiral due to age or the coach just wants to develop young players.

jochhejaam
02-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Pistons are interested and if Tony's able to play I say sign him.

Dumars expected to make a pitch for Hawks' guard DelkFriday, February 24, 2006
By A. Sherrod Blakely
AUBURN HILLS - Joe Dumars has built this Detroit Pistons team on finding players other teams don't want.

So it should come as no surprise that, now that the trading deadline has passed, the Pistons will look at add another guard from among a handful of players expected to be waived or bought out of their contracts in the coming days.

"We're looking to see what happens on the waiver wire and kind of make a determination then," said Dumars, Detroit's president of basketball operations.

One player the Pistons are expected to make a pitch for is Tony Delk, who is expected to reach a buyout settlement with the Atlanta Hawks sometime next week. He is in the last year of his contract, which pays him $2.925 million this season.

Delk's agent, Mark Bartlestein, had little to say about the possibility of his client becoming a Piston.

"I don't feel comfortable talking about something like that, because right now, he's an Atlanta Hawk," Bartlestein said in a phone interview Thursday night. "So I really don't have a comment about that at this time."

The 32-year-old Delk, who can play both backcourt positions, appears to meet most of the criteria Dumars has said he would look for in adding another guard.

In describing the kind of player he would like to acquire off waivers, Dumars said it would be "a guy with some experience, that can step right in, and is not overwhelmed to step on the floor with us and play. We like guys here who can shoot the ball, too, put the ball in the hole. And guys with some mental toughness. What we're trying to do takes a lot of mental toughness. Preferably, someone like that."

Delk, a 6-foot-2 guard in his 10th NBA season, has appeared in just one game for the Hawks this season primarily because of injuries and Atlanta's focus on developing its younger players. A 9.2 points per game scorer throughout his career, Delk has spent the majority of his career as a reserve.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1132153802283740.xml&coll=1

ABDENOUR POWER
02-24-2006, 11:24 PM
Delk will be a Piston. Book it.

Pistons < Spurs
02-24-2006, 11:42 PM
Delk will be a Piston. Book it.

Agreed!

Dunc
02-25-2006, 12:23 AM
I would support this move.

FreshPrince22
02-25-2006, 12:32 AM
Why didn't the Hawks use him? When he was in Dallas he was Mike James Jr. but for some reason he can't beat Royal Ivey (a talented player but not better than Delk) for a rotation spot? It's either he's on a downward spiral due to age or the coach just wants to develop young players.

It's all about the young guys. Al Harrington is the veteran of their rotation players and he just turned 26. It's all Josh Smith, Childress, JJ (25), Ivey, Salim, Zaza, Marvin. They're almost all 20-25 years old.

If he's anything like Mike James I will be extatic. 1 more guy who can get his own shot off the bench would be perfect.

Pandaemonaeon
02-25-2006, 04:54 AM
Mike James is the perfect comparison and a great pick-up if he's still the same guy as he was 3 years ago. He doesn't pass the ball much, but he's a very streaky shooter and plays in-your-face defense.

Marklar MM
02-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Mike James is the perfect comparison and a great pick-up if he's still the same guy as he was 3 years ago. He doesn't pass the ball much, but he's a very streaky shooter and plays in-your-face defense.

Wow...2 point guards off the bench who are very streaky shooters and play in your face defense. SWEEET.

ABDENOUR POWER
02-25-2006, 11:15 AM
I think we can expect him to step in with a couple 50 point games for us. :spin Hey, he's done it before.... :lol

Pistons < Spurs
02-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Pistons Expected To Add Delk
25th February, 2006 - 12:01 pm

MLive.com - Joe Dumars, is expected to add another player, ex-Atlanta Hawks guard Tony Delk.

Delk, who was waived by the Hawks on Friday, has to remain on the waiver wire for two days before the Pistons can claim him. If no team claims him by then, he can then sign with any team he wants - with the Pistons appearing to be his most likely choice.

The only thing that might stand in the way of the 32-year-old Delk becoming a Piston is if one of the teams far enough under the salary cap, or one with a large enough trade exception, chooses to pick up Delk - and the remainder of his $2.925 million contract this season -within the next two business days. Only two teams (Atlanta and Charlotte) are far enough under the cap to pick up Delk's contract, andthe Bobcats have no interest in acquiring him.

FreshPrince22
02-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Wow...2 point guards off the bench who are very streaky shooters and play in your face defense. SWEEET.

Let's be honest here. Lindsey Hunter is a streaky shooter whose last hot streak was in the late 90s. :lol OK, so he had 1 good moment in the Finals, but that was the first he had in a LONG time. We just need a guy who can knock down some shots.

Delk + Hunter + Delfino = pitbulls X3.

Marklar MM
02-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Let's be honest here. Lindsey Hunter is a streaky shooter whose last hot streak was in the late 90s. :lol OK, so he had 1 good moment in the Finals, but that was the first he had in a LONG time. We just need a guy who can knock down some shots.

Delk + Hunter + Delfino = pitbulls X3.

Don't dog Lindsay like that man...his streakiness only allows him 1-2 big games a year.

FreshPrince22
02-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Don't dog Lindsay like that man...his streakiness only allows him 1-2 big games a year.

:lol exactly. Lindsey's the man, but his jumper stayed behind in the teal era. 1 or 2 hot shooting games out of 100 or so is not what I call good odds.

ABDENOUR POWER
02-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Lindsey has zero offense.

Pandaemonaeon
03-13-2006, 03:35 AM
Mike James Jr. is back... in Mo-Town! :smokin:

Bruno
03-13-2006, 08:44 AM
I post that for our dear Pistons fans.
I think he is the best player available as backup PG after the Arroyo trade.

I was damn right on that. (even if it wasn't the most difficult thing to predict)

Darrin
03-13-2006, 03:38 PM
He's the Pistons leading scorer off the bench right now. Dayam! Not bad for a mid-season pickup.