PDA

View Full Version : Fanbase Zeitgeist

Extra Stout
02-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Why is it that the intelligence of a team's fanbase varies with the team?

For example, Pistons fans (and Spurs fans) are usually pretty knowledgeable and reasonable, while Mavs fans, with some notable exceptions, are complete fucking idiots.

It's not just because of success or failure, either. Now that the Lakers suck, they still have an IQ distribution among their fan base reminiscent of a Latin American economy (a few very rich amongst the hordes of poor). The Pacers and Celtics aren't that great, but their fans are relatively smart.

I'm not sure it's style, either. If Mav fans are stupid because they were attracted to run-and-gun, why are they still stupid under Avery Johnson? Why are Suns fans still fairly smart while Mike D'Antoni and Steve Nash lead the high-octane circus there?

So what is it? Do certain teams just attract a particular kind of fan? Or could a relatively intelligent person start rooting for the Mavs, and a week later be a thumb-sucking twit licking a Fruit Roll-Up?

Discuss.

ALVAREZ6
02-24-2006, 06:30 PM
I'll tell you one thing, Sixers fans are so fucking stupid, it's rediculous.

I guess Mavs fans just take after Cuban

Tobias
02-24-2006, 06:30 PM
The Mavs fans have NOTHING on Suns fans. Thus far, every basketball forum I've been to, the Suns fans have hadsthe most insessent, rabid fans.

(and yeah, this thread will probly be locked.)

Rynospursfan
02-24-2006, 06:33 PM
I'll tell you one thing, Sixers fans are so fucking stupid, it's rediculous.

Or Phili fans in general.

ALVAREZ6
02-24-2006, 06:34 PM
Or Phili fans in general.
True, but I just mentioned Sixers because of the NBA fan topic.

E20
02-24-2006, 06:37 PM
With LA Laker fans down here ask them name 5 players on the current roster......they can't.

Dunc
02-24-2006, 06:41 PM
This is a fantastic thread. I'm going to do some pondering....

Kori Ellis
02-24-2006, 06:45 PM
There's actually some very basketball knowledgable Mavs fans on other forums. Maybe they just haven't found their way here :lol

Anyway, I think by far the group of fans that's the most idiotic is Laker fans. And I'm not talking about now that they are bad. I lived in L.A. for 17 years (up until 3 years ago) and had Lakers season tickets.

One time in the playoffs, the Lakers were playing the Suns and I had tickets in row 2. Two guys showed up with a few minutes left in the 2nd quarter, wearing suits, sipping their Midori cocktails and talking on their cell phones. When they were done talking on their phones, they started asking me how much I had paid for my seats. (They had paid $1100 each to sit next to me - and arrived that late.)

Then the balding 24-year-old wannabe rich guy said, "Why isn't Tim Duncan playing?" :shootme

Horry For 3!
02-24-2006, 06:47 PM
I could tell that Lakers fans didn't know shit about basketball from when I used to go into Yahoo Chat into NBA:1. They are not very bright.

SequSpur
02-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Mavs fans are queers.

ALVAREZ6
02-24-2006, 06:50 PM
You can't really tell based on only internet. Most internet fans are very stupid, or trolls, or bandwagoners, and don't know WTF they are talking about.

It just may not seem that way here because this forum has a lot of smart people.

SequSpur
02-24-2006, 06:52 PM
look whose talking.