PDA

View Full Version : Miller refuses to take it easy

pacers4ever
10-06-2003, 07:52 AM
Miller refuses to take it easy

By Sekou Smith
[email protected]
October 6, 2003

Had Reggie Miller decided to rest his surgically repaired right ankle the first few days of training camp as a precautionary measure, he would have been more than justified in doing so.

But five practices into the Indiana Pacers' training camp, it's clear that the 16-year veteran has no intention of taking it easy.

"Foolish pride," he admitted following Sunday's session at Conseco Fieldhouse.

Pacers coach Rick Carlilse said Miller has been relentless. "So far we can't even get him to take a rest from a drill," Carlisle said. "He just literally will not come out. And I view that as a very encouraging sign."

Miller, who had surgery on May 19, only began full-scale workouts the first week of September. But he feels better than expected, and hasn't been able to back off.

"I don't know how wise that is, but I'm going to roll with the punches," Miller said. "I get my breaks. But it just feels great to be back out here playing with the guys and trying to get back to the level that I know I'm capable of getting back to.

"I'm more surprised defensively about what I've been able to do, being able to pressure and pick up fullcourt. That's what I've been most encouraged about, because if I'm able to play defense my offense will take care of itself."

Carlilse said he'll let Miller determine his participation level throughout the preseason.

"Listen, the guy knows his body pretty well," Carlisle said. "He's 38 years old and has been at this thing for 16 years. He's the only one that knows for sure how he feels. If it's a situation where he needs to back off, then he understands that he needs to tell the coaching staff about it."

Pooh
10-06-2003, 01:57 PM
That's great he's responding well to the off-season surgery. But if I were Carlisle, I would still limit his time on the court during the pre-season. Better to be safe than be sorry later.