PDA

View Full Version : Brent Barry's Revenge

timvp
02-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Now that Barry got his wake-up call, wouldn't it be something if he started playing inspired ball and won a spot in the rotation? That would be nice. He has loads of talent but has always seemed hesitant to try to force the action.

However, now maybe he can play with a chip on his shoulder. The Spurs didn't want him. They had given up on him living up to his potential.

Can Barry prove the Spurs wrong? Maybe this slap in the face was exactly what he needed.

Revenge would be best served in June.

:fro

ploto
02-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Put the ball IN his hands and it will make all the difference.

Solid D
02-24-2006, 09:34 PM
:tu

Brutalis
02-24-2006, 09:37 PM
BB sucks. No, he won't do crap.

xcoriate
02-24-2006, 09:39 PM
let him be more than just a jumpshooter, he has that role on this team but there has always been much more to his game. Its kind of a shame.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2006, 09:39 PM
rasho 2004 > brent barry 200x

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Can Barry prove the Spurs wrong? Maybe this slap in the face was exactly what he needed.

Who says they were really thinking he sucked? CIAPop all the way..

Gerryatrics
02-24-2006, 09:47 PM
rasho 2004 > brent barry 200x

???

Brent Barry 2003-2004

FG% .504 3P% .452 FT% .827 RPG 3.5 APG 5.8 SPG 1.44 PPG 10.8

Cant_Be_Faded
02-24-2006, 09:50 PM
^the osprey in your sig may be bad ass
but bad ass does not = bb

Manu20
02-24-2006, 09:52 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/barry_uniform_040727.jpg

Believe!

ZStomp
02-24-2006, 09:52 PM
I was a BB supporter since day one. Last year was last year and I thought he would do better. Unfortunately, he hasn't done much this year either.

I was kinda hoping he would have gotten traded.....

Leetonidas
02-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Perhaps it was Pop who stopped the JR Smith trade to light a fire under Barry's ass? :lol

1Parker1
02-24-2006, 09:55 PM
:lol Well he's certainly have his best game of the season tonight. Wonder how long this will last...

1Parker1
02-24-2006, 09:56 PM
BTW, did the potential trade also include Beno? Cuz he's playing as aggressive as I've seen him all season also :smokin

King
02-24-2006, 10:06 PM
I'd still rather have JR Smith.

DDS4
02-24-2006, 10:08 PM
His dad has been saying on radio that Brent really has nothing to lose by being really aggressive.

exstatic
02-24-2006, 10:10 PM
let him be more than just a jumpshooter, he has that role on this team but there has always been much more to his game. Its kind of a shame.
Pop tells him he can't drive? What Brent does when he gets the pass is his call...

J.R Smith. Fuck.

Horry For 3!
02-24-2006, 11:16 PM
Barry 19 mins 3-5 FG 1-2 3PT 7 pts 5 rebs 3 asts 3 stls 0 tos

Not bad.

Que Gee
02-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Put the ball IN his hands and it will make all the difference.

FUCKING THANK YOU!!!!! AT LEAST ONE PERSON GETS IT.

Que Gee
02-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Go look at his stats when he gets 20 min...

Cant_Be_Faded
02-25-2006, 12:19 AM
THISPEGO was the biggest Brent Barry supporter I ever met in person....his C E'ed every time BB hit a three.

But even ThisPeggo has said once this season that Barry needs to be more productive

wildbill2u
02-25-2006, 12:43 AM
Call it lack of playing time; call it being self-effacing; call it what you want, Barry has disappointed me all year. I thought he'd be a super sub after learning the Spurs system last year. Instead, he's moved farther down the bench.

He needed a wake-up call.

caŽlo
02-25-2006, 12:48 AM
please brent. show your potential. your time is now.

please please please please.

at least do what horry did..

he didnt do much in his first year but made EVERYTHING worth it on his 2nd year.

caŽlo
02-25-2006, 12:53 AM
a question for everyone...

if barry made it BIG in the playoffs.. (ala Big shot rob) like hit really BIG shots when it mattered and in the process won us the championship. (he did hit a couple against phoenix last year but thats nothing compared to horrys shot against detroit)

would u guys still want him to be traded?

leemajors
02-25-2006, 01:03 AM
barry is unselfish to a fault, but sometimes it seems like he is the only one to consistently realize the offense is best when worked inside out.

timvp
02-25-2006, 01:03 AM
For JR Smith? Yeah, probably.

But while he's here, hopefully he lives up to some of his promise. I liked the way he played tonight. It was the most aggressive I've ever seen him defensively.

rayray2k8
02-25-2006, 02:13 AM
I love what brent did for us in game 7 of the finals but thats just one game..
he need to contribute a bit more than that.. but its not his fault, theres alot of talent ahead of him, so its no wonder why barry doesnt get enough playing time.. there just isnt enough min. to go around.

Que Gee
02-25-2006, 03:32 AM
but its not his fault, theres alot of talent ahead of him, so its no wonder why barry doesnt get enough playing time.. there just isnt enough min. to go around.

Where is all this talent? You better not say Finley cause he hasn't done dick this year.

whottt
02-25-2006, 03:40 AM
Ehh...the Spurs traded away Steve Kerr once upon a time, stupidly, for Steve "unclutch" Smith...and he couldn't get off the bench here either, ever, unless it was due to injury, or Pop being goaded into by Tim Duncan in a FA year, or Peter Vescey.

Barry won't change, he is what he is, and in a few games he'll be getting ripped again, for what he isn't...a shot chucker, but he'll still have value even though it is lost on the Spurs brass and their fans...

A Kerr like performance? He already did it...game 1 of last years WCF against Phoenix, on the road, he was 5-5 and 3-3 from 3PT Range in the 4th quarter. Yes that series turned out to be pretty easy...but I have a feeling it wouldn't have been near as easy if we drop the first game on the road.

I thought the Spurs were stupid to trade Kerr, and I would have thought they were stupid to trade Barry, at least if they really want to win a title this year, although it's pretty much a lost cause...Pop is intent on finding out the hard way that Finley will kill you in a big game. Barry may lack scoring agression, but he also doesn't kill his team with bad shots or forget that he is a role player.

yourtehclay
02-25-2006, 04:22 AM
Barry really should be ahead of Finley in the rotation. A lineup of Bowen, Finley and Van Ex is terrible. No can create anything there, eventually someone forces up a 3. I like Barry's playmaking, it's an asset we're not using right now

ChumpDumper
02-25-2006, 04:23 AM
No, Barry kills the team by not shooting open shots and forgetting what his role is (shooting open shots).

If he wasn't a $5 million man, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Play up to what you're being paid and you won't be on the block.

He could pass up all the open shots he wanted and just do all the other little things his backers cream over if he signed for the vet minimum. His deal demands more.

angel_luv
02-25-2006, 04:58 AM
:lol Well he's certainly have his best game of the season tonight. Wonder how long this will last...

I called it! :elephant

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=769540&posted=1#post769540

Post 17- Ironically :lol

bigbendbruisebrother
02-25-2006, 11:01 AM
I was a BB supporter since day one. Last year was last year and I thought he would do better. Unfortunately, he hasn't done much this year either.

I was kinda hoping he would have gotten traded.....

Stomp, what is the chick in your avatar doing? Hurling?

SouthernFried
02-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Methinks this might have been one of Pop's Cia thingys.

I mean, Barry wasn't even playing in some games. Then, the day all the trade talk happened, Pop puts him into the early rotation?

Pffft...a coaches job is interesting, eh?

ploto
02-25-2006, 12:58 PM
I love what brent did for us in game 7 of the finals but thats just one game..
he need to contribute a bit more than that..

Barry's role was different in Games 6 & 7 of the Finals and that is why he was successful. When Tony went to the bench, the ball was in Barry's hands- creating for himself and others. That is his strength. For me, if Beno wasn't hardly going to get to play, I wish Barry had been the back-up point guard this season.

ducks
02-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Damm 2 Games In A Row

5ToolMan
02-25-2006, 11:27 PM
Now that Barry got his wake-up call, wouldn't it be something if he started playing inspired ball and won a spot in the rotation? That would be nice. He has loads of talent but has always seemed hesitant to try to force the action.

However, now maybe he can play with a chip on his shoulder. The Spurs didn't want him. They had given up on him living up to his potential.

:fro

Your questions are full of assumptions that are foolish to those who know the business of hoops. Moving Barry for a non contributing Hornet was strictly a financial move with the primary upside to give more roster options for the next few years. I am sure the Spurs were somewhat concerned with the absence of a solid contributor, but were confident enough with the rest of the Spurs in place to explore creating more roster flexability for the future.

If this motivates Barry, that brings nothing but more upside. If he plays great, and contributes to another NBA Title, with less time on his contract, he will be easier to move and could bring more options next summer or beyond.

5ToolMan
02-25-2006, 11:51 PM
No, Barry kills the team by not shooting open shots and forgetting what his role is (shooting open shots).

If he wasn't a $5 million man, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Play up to what you're being paid and you won't be on the block.

He could pass up all the open shots he wanted and just do all the other little things his backers cream over if he signed for the vet minimum. His deal demands more.

Barry being on the block had very little to do with his play or potential as an idividual. As whacked as that sounds, it is pretty easy if you know anything about the Spurs current roster, their great scouting success and mostly their desire to create more roster flexability for the next few years.

Finley's unexpected arrival for the vet minimum made Brent expendable if only just to create future options. Perhaps the development of Beno or someone on the farm or someone in the minor leagues made the Spurs comfortable with moving a solid contributor.

Barry is a solid player and will contribute to the Spurs success. At the same time, it is safe to say Pop did not feel his contribution is essential for the Spurs to achieve desired success this year. While Pop was willing to give up Brent to create more future options, I am sure both of these professionals will know how to make the best out Brents extended stay.

Fabbs
02-26-2006, 12:23 AM
Where is all this talent? You better not say Finley cause he hasn't done dick this year.

and whooottt,

right on.
The Barry Haters will continue to be clueless.

but its great to see others who see his contributions and the true story of a piece of the Spurs title in 2003. Offensive side of the ball Moron Pop would have never played Kerr the decisive Dallas series if it was left completely up to him.

Why Bricks Finley has this free pass to be an experiment. Its been 60 games, that excuse is old and tired. Yet he still gets 20-30 minutes a game.
Hope Pop doesnt screw up another title chance.

ChumpDumper
02-26-2006, 12:37 AM
Barry being on the block had very little to do with his play or potential as an idividual. As whacked as that sounds, it is pretty easy if you know anything about the Spurs current roster, their great scouting success and mostly their desire to create more roster flexability for the next few years.I disagree. If flexibility was all they desired, they never would have signed Barry to that deal in the first place, and this trade wouldn't have been considered if Barry had played the minutes and role envisioned by the Spurs. Same goes for Malik and Rasho. It was completely easy for me to predict Barry and Rasho as being the trade pieces this year because their court time per $ ratios are the furthest out of whack - and the court time expected for both was much higher at the time each was signed.

SequSpur
02-26-2006, 02:14 AM
Brent Barry is here to hit outside shots. All he needs to do is pick 2-3 spots where he shoots > 50% (ie: his spot, his shot, Bruce Bowen) and sit and wait...

Parker/Manu and Duncan will get him the ball in his spots and he needs to shoot it. When Barry, Bowen, Finley and anyone else try to become point guards and try to create their own shot, they fall on their faces.

Jaren Jackson shut down the Forum with this philosophy, dude only had 2 shots.

leemajors
02-26-2006, 02:15 AM
i wish pop would play parker, barry and manu together more. offense runs a lot better with barry than van exel.

z0sa
02-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Barry has been doing alot better the last couple games. Let's hope this stays the trend, because I always believed that if Barry could do well coming from the bench then we were near unstoppable.

1Parker1
02-26-2006, 11:37 AM
I think it's time to "almost" trade Michael Finley away.

z0sa
02-26-2006, 11:46 AM
< thinks finley is doing fine... am i the only one or something?

boutons_
02-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Fine?

Michael is shooting FG 38% and 3G 35%, both really piss poor for a shooter/scorer and way below his career averages. Compare with Spurs team shooting FG 47% and 3G 37%.

Gamabunta
02-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Finlwey's starting to get real streaky, like Van Exel steaky, but not as frequent.

GoSpurs21
02-26-2006, 02:48 PM

:froI say give all of NVE minutes to Berry

Peter
02-27-2006, 12:04 AM
Barry is the coolest mascot.

Quasar
02-27-2006, 12:56 AM
In the last 2 games, has Barry's role changed to that of a playmaker or is Pop still using him as a catch & shoot player?

I like Barry too although like others, I'm disappointed in his play so far.

I agree with Ploto, he should see more of the ball - he's at least as good as Beno and much taller. We could use him as a pointguard.

It's not like he'd make stupid decisions with it in his hands anyway - he's usually a pass first type of playmaker.

T Park
02-27-2006, 01:34 AM
Brent Barry is in Rasho Nesterovic level of "WTF they are talented, but why arent they showing it" level.

Brent was a stud with Seattle.
but the Spurs curse of jinxing good shooters has hit him as well.

Finley, Barry, Kerr in 99 have felt the rath of this horrible bug.

all Barry has to do for me, is be agressive.

If you get a shot in motion, TAKE IT.

I also wish hed drive to the hoop more, hes prob the best finisher at the hoop with Ginobili and Parker on the team.

Keep it up Brent, Im still rootin for you.

DieMrBond
02-27-2006, 01:50 AM
I for one, was glad Brent wasnt traded. I may be biased, as he is one of my favourite players, but on the (unfortunately) rare occasion when his game is 'on', he adds so much to this team. Heck, even Charley Rosen (a noted pessimist) thinks that he should get more run on the team over Finley and Van Ex!

And so far, the non-trade does seem to be doing good for him. Maybe he needs to be like Gilbert Arenas, and keep newspaper articles and re-read negative things said about him before the game (like the trade), so that he plays well?

2/2. Lets hope it continues.

Peter
02-27-2006, 02:05 AM
Holy shit the Spurs could've had JR Smith for Brent Barry.

T Park
02-27-2006, 02:25 AM
even Charley Rosen (a noted pessimist) thinks that he should get more run on the team over Finley and Van Ex!

can't say thats much of a mark in Brent's corner.

Maybe he needs to be like Gilbert Arenas, and keep newspaper articles and re-read negative things said about him before the game (like the trade), so that he plays well?

lol

Ex had a thing going last year, everytime he posted something bad during a game blog, he did something good.

Either that, or someone pissed him off.

5ToolMan
02-27-2006, 09:10 AM
I disagree. If flexibility was all they desired, they never would have signed Barry to that deal in the first place, and this trade wouldn't have been considered if Barry had played the minutes and role envisioned by the Spurs. Same goes for Malik and Rasho. It was completely easy for me to predict Barry and Rasho as being the trade pieces this year because their court time per $ ratios are the furthest out of whack - and the court time expected for both was much higher at the time each was signed.

When they signed Barry they had no clue and no reason to expect Finley to drop into their laps for next to nothing in pay. They also did not know that Spree would be waiting in the wings to perhaps take up Barry's spot for a fraction of his cost and still leave more roster flexability for the near future.

What I am trying to drive home, is it is not about ONLY what Barry is making in relation to what he is delivering. Moving a player has just as much to do with what the other options are are available. Many say Rasho is overpaid for what he is delevering. Yet he stays because the savings AND the value he would be replaced by don't add up to near what he brings. With Barry, the savings AND being able to have Finley AND perhaps Spree for less money WITH more salary flexability, make Brent easier to consider to move.

Even if Brent were playing up to all expectations of his salary, If Finley AND Spree could bring more for less, you still look at pulling the trigger, hard as it may be.

ChumpDumper
02-27-2006, 02:53 PM
We're saying the same thing with a different emphasis. Finley, as much as he has underperformed, has brought more than the Spurs expected Barry to. Last season Devin Brown was on the way to replacing him in the rotation before his back injury, so this season is hardly unique. It gets to a point where it simply doesnt' make financial sense to keep paying a player to play so little. Rasho was on the block over the summer after not playing in the playoffs -- his play this season changed the Spurs minds and there was nary a peep about his being dealt this season. Perhaps that was just CIA, but I'm inclined to think that the FO's opinion of players can be quite fluid when their PT/cost ratio is on the bubble like Rasho's. If Barry continues to play as he has lately, that could change as well -- but if Smith is on the table this summer, the Spurs may find him difficult to resist.

kobe_bryant
02-27-2006, 04:59 PM
i told phil to go for brent barry last week

brent barry for a pair of game-used sock wore by shaq
holt said he would get back to us

Fabbs
02-27-2006, 05:12 PM
^^^ I'm sure you'll have a nice view of Barry in the playoffs and finals.

From your t.v. set, loser

Of course maybe your .500 team will make it in.

5ToolMan
02-27-2006, 05:28 PM
We're saying the same thing with a different emphasis. Finley, as much as he has underperformed, has brought more than the Spurs expected Barry to. Last season Devin Brown was on the way to replacing him in the rotation before his back injury, so this season is hardly unique. It gets to a point where it simply doesnt' make financial sense to keep paying a player to play so little. Rasho was on the block over the summer after not playing in the playoffs -- his play this season changed the Spurs minds and there was nary a peep about his being dealt this season. Perhaps that was just CIA, but I'm inclined to think that the FO's opinion of players can be quite fluid when their PT/cost ratio is on the bubble like Rasho's. If Barry continues to play as he has lately, that could change as well -- but if Smith is on the table this summer, the Spurs may find him difficult to resist.

I agree a players percieved value in relation to other percieved options is always very fluid. It is the FO's job and duty to love his players ... until a better value appears.

I also believe that those factors have more of an influence upon decisions to move a player than what he is delivering in relation to his salary. While Rasho is greatly paid compared to what he delivers, he brings more than enough to make it hard to replace his size and skills.

milkyway21
02-27-2006, 08:52 PM
i told phil to go for brent barry last week
intriguing!

this Kobe Bryant's favorite team is Miami Heat!

:lol

timvp
03-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Barry with another game where he is the spark. Too bad it took an almost trade to make him play this way. This is why the Spurs signed him.

Hopefully Pop can ride this wave and find him a little more time.

Sec24Row7
03-04-2006, 11:18 PM
almost trade him between every round of the playoffs!

Rummpd
03-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Barry right now is five times the player as NVE

ChumpDumper
03-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Well he got paid five times as much for almost five times as long.

Bout time.

Rummpd
03-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Fair point!

wildbill2u
03-05-2006, 12:37 AM
I hope we all agree that Barry needs to play the rest of his career here, however long it is, with the same type of contribution as in his last few games.

This team still has the potential to be the best Spurs team ever because of quality depth, but it hasn't quite made it yet. Maybe Finley and Barry are starting to come around and realize THEY have to play like part of the championship team.

timvp
03-05-2006, 12:39 AM
I hope we all agree that Barry needs to play the rest of his career here, however long it is, with the same type of contribution as in his last few games.

Even if Barry plays up to his contract, I'd still trade him for JR Smith in the offseason. The Spurs need to get younger on the perimeter.

Mr. Body
03-05-2006, 01:17 AM

This team still has the potential to be the best Spurs team ever because of quality depth, but it hasn't quite made it yet. Maybe Finley and Barry are starting to come around and realize THEY have to play like part of the championship team.

You're seeing flashes only now from them where they feel like they belong on the court as Spurs. They've been far too deferential. Van Exel is a guy, on the other hand, who seems to understand he can help most by attacking. Unfortunately, his body isn't quite there any more.

timvp
04-26-2006, 03:12 AM
Bump.

J.R. Smith was the MVP of Game 2.

:smokin

GoSpurs21
04-26-2006, 03:41 AM
still Barry was clutch when nve was suck...

kris
04-26-2006, 03:44 AM
Oh I see your game. Barry does good and you say I told you he needed to play good for us to win. Barry plays bad and you say I told you if he didn't play good we'd lose.

Well you know what, it's not working this time. I want the Spurs to lose so I can brag about how I was right on the Internet to all my cyber rivals and take lots of pride all the way. If they win, I'll tell you they did what I said they had to do. This is my profession - NOT YOURS. I'm the internet slot jockey that rides the fence ever so balanced, you sir are nothing but an amateur.

Good day.

Gummi
04-26-2006, 04:07 AM
I'm quite happy for Brent to have two good games per series. I don't expect him to average 12 ppg because he's a role player and role players usually don't play great all the time. Now Barry has had two pretty good games, Game 1 he was very solid with two 3's and of course Game 2 he was very good with 22 points.

Also, fans don't forget that it's always nice to have a player on the bench that can shoot the ball. Barry's IMO one the best in the league in that.

Tigole Bitties
04-26-2006, 04:55 AM
Also, fans don't forget that it's always nice to have a player on the bench that can shoot the ball. Barry's IMO one the best in the league in that.

Yes, he's basically a more athletic Stevie Kerr. Not quite the instant offense off the bench, but good enough to warrant that $3mil/yr contract.

I can see him paired up with Marv Albert doing color commentary after he retires. :hat

ploto
04-26-2006, 06:13 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/multimedia/slideshows/show_846/ACFE9CD.jpg
A picture is worth a thousand words.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-26-2006, 06:18 AM
Barry's role was different in Games 6 & 7 of the Finals and that is why he was successful. When Tony went to the bench, the ball was in Barry's hands- creating for himself and others. That is his strength. For me, if Beno wasn't hardly going to get to play, I wish Barry had been the back-up point guard this season.

Damn straight, exactly what I think. He's never been given the go at backup point, but that's why I thought we acquired him. What the hell he's doing behind Van X in the rotation I don't know. And but for his efforts in games 5-7 last year, we may not have been champs - he carried us for a few stretches and made some big hustle plays.

Free BB!

TDMVPDPOY
04-26-2006, 06:28 AM
i wanna see barry take more 3s when his open instead of boltin into the lane for a fake n pass it out again. why cant he just be like finley or nve and just release it, same with horry sumtimes he has a tendecy not to shoot it....this series so far they been doin what i wanted, just put it up and prayer in goes in

spurster
04-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Dang. That ball is almost over the backboard. God must be with the Spurs.

angel_luv
04-26-2006, 08:14 AM

That was the shot!

Whoosh there it is! :elephant

Obstructed_View
04-26-2006, 01:27 PM
God must be with the Spurs.
Well He needs to make sure to tell Jesus who's going to win the game. :)