PDA

View Full Version : SpursTalk State of the Union Address

timvp
02-25-2006, 12:32 AM
With SpursTalk.com growing at an exceptional rate, we would like to take time out to thank everyone who has made this such a great resource of discussion for the San Antonio Spurs and the rest of the NBA. We believe that the genuinely good people of this community here is what makes the message board successful.

A few weeks ago, we were approached by an investor who is creating a network of sports websites wanting to acquire SpursTalk.com. The offer is very good -- a considerable lump sum plus an opportunity to make additional money on top of that.

The conditions would be that we would sell the site but remain in full control of the message boards. The site would become part of a bigger network, have a considerable number of advertisements on the forum, and other such things.

So for the past week or so, we have been weighing the pros and cons of selling and actually spent sleepless nights debating what to do. It was a tough decision to make, especially with the number of zeros behind the dollar sign, but we didn’t want to compromise the good thing that we have going here. We are proud of the fact that this is an independent site and the fact that there are no annoying ads to navigate around.

As of tonight, we decided to turn down the offer.

Yeah, we are probably a little crazy for turning down that much money. We just wanted you guys to know about it in case any of this became public.

Also, many people in the forum have come to us over the years to offer some financial support to SpursTalk.com. We’ve always turned them down in the past. However we have decided that if you would like to make a contribution, we are now accepting them for the first and probably the last time. To learn how you can donate, send an email to [email protected].

We have a bunch of aspects we’d like to improve with the site including a new integrated chatroom, an upgrade in the vBulletin software, a revamped FullSportPress.com engine and a couple neat add-ons we’ve been planning for the forum. We’d also like to offset some of the mounting server costs. With the playoffs quickly approaching, we want to be running smoothly at that point. Of course, no one is under any obligation to donate. But we’ve been asked so many times that we decided to make it an option for now.

We also invite you to join the SpursTalk Championship of Poker tournament that can be found in this thread (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35452) in The Club. We receive a nice bonus from a sponsor for each participant. It is a great way to win some money and to help support SpursTalk.com at the same time.

Thank you in advance and we greatly appreciate your participation here.

Sincerely,

Kori and LJ Ellis

Cant_Be_Faded
02-25-2006, 12:35 AM
ya'll are seriously the coolest conservatives in the nation

Dunc
02-25-2006, 12:36 AM
No doubt.

JoeChalupa
02-25-2006, 01:02 AM
Simply the best.

Yonivore
02-25-2006, 01:30 AM
Okay, you're on my official Christmas Card list.

Yonivore
02-25-2006, 01:18 PM
I'll throw in my $189 if it helps.

George W Bush
02-25-2006, 01:21 PM
I'll do my part to make more tax cuts
to support SpursTalk.

I'm George W Bush and I approve this message. :tu

boutons_
02-25-2006, 01:59 PM
What free is abused and under-appreciated.

I'd pay $100/year subscription fee to ST,
1) for what it's worth to me, and
2) to keep out the trolls who won't pay $100 to strafe every thread with shit.

spurster
02-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Ads would be annoying, but not more so than certain posters and signatures.

Nbadan
02-26-2006, 04:28 AM
I wish Kori and Tim would set up a community chest where those of us who want to can donate for the use of their bandwidth on a monthly basis. A one time donation is fine, but there is no reason that they should have to bear the costs on their own, and clearly, they don't want to discourage people from coming here with pop-up ads or banners.

Also, Ive always wondered why they don't market the forum better with merchandise, you know, tee-shirts, stickers, and caps. That sort of thing. It would raise money and promote the forum, and I've seen some of the banners that people have had made for them, some would make great ST forum promotions.

jochhejaam
02-26-2006, 07:28 AM
I wish Kori and Tim would set up a community chest where those of us who want to can donate for the use of their bandwidth on a monthly basis. A one time donation is fine, but there is no reason that they should have to bear the costs on their own, and clearly, they don't want to discourage people from coming here with pop-up ads or banners.

Perhaps they can provide a link on the main page that allows people to contribute to a P.O. Box.

You spurs fans, especially that know them personally, are very fortunate as you've so aptly expressed.