PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Barry helps rally Spurs by Grizzlies (more info on Barry situation)

kolko
02-25-2006, 01:25 AM
Barry helps rally Spurs by Grizzlies

Web Posted: 02/25/2006 12:11 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — And from the The-Best-Trades-Are-The-Ones-You-Don't-Make Department ...

A day after he was nearly shipped to New Orleans, Brent Barry pulled on his Spurs uniform Friday night and delivered a spirited performance that should make his employers happy he's sticking around.

With Barry contributing seven points, five rebounds, three assists and three steals, the Spurs overcame a 13-point deficit in the first half then hung on to beat Memphis 83-80 at FedExForum.

"It's a privilege to be playing in the NBA, but to be part of this team goes above and beyond that," Barry said. "Regardless of what happened or what didn't happen, I'm still here and I want to win games."

The Spurs won. Barely. After Bruce Bowen's 3-pointer with 1:24 left hiked the Spurs' lead to 76-66, they missed three free throws, threw away a pass and watched the Grizzlies bury three consecutive 3-pointers.

Input File ContentThe given include file is empty.

Suddenly, Memphis forward Hakim Warrick was standing at the foul line with 2.5 seconds remaining and a chance to tie the game. He made his first free throw, but watched the second skip out. After Nazr Mohammed grabbed the rebound, Warrick buried his head in his hands.

Mohammed made both his foul shots and Shane Battier threw away a long inbounds pass to allow the Spurs to escape. After watching his team nearly give away its second game in nine days — the Spurs wasted a four-point lead in the final 10 seconds of regulation to lose in Philadelphia — coach Gregg Popovich was not pleased.

"You always appreciate every win," Popovich said, "but the last minute of that one was pretty pathetic."

Popovich did find time to mention a few positives. Tim Duncan, despite missing five free throws in the final quarter, continued to look refreshed from the All-Star break, totaling 19 points, 16 rebounds and three blocks. The Spurs' defense also was good enough to provoke a season-high 24 turnovers from the Grizzlies and limit them to a franchise-record low 56 shots.

"We were guarding wonderfully," Popovich said. "Our shots started to fall. I was actually pretty happy with the game."

Barry had more than a little to do with that, which came as somewhat of a surprise considering how close he came to not even boarding the team's flight here. Spurs officials told him Thursday to not bother going to the airport because they were close to trading him for Hornets guard J.R. Smith.

The deal began to unravel around an hour before the NBA's 2 p.m. deadline. When the Hornets acquired Marc Jackson and Linton Johnson III for Bostjan Nachbar in a trade with New Jersey, they no longer had the salary-cap room needed to absorb the difference between Barry's and Smith's contracts.

The Spurs and New Orleans tried to get Atlanta involved to help facilitate the trade, but couldn't get it done in time.

From the moment he learned he might be traded to the time Popovich phoned back to tell him the deal was off, Barry had almost four hours to wonder about his future.

"I wish there had been a local bar that was open," he said, "but it was 10 in the morning."

The trade would have allowed the Spurs to get younger and more athletic, as well as relieved them of the two seasons and $11 million on Barry's contract. But there also was some sentiment that the deal also would weaken the team for this season.

On Friday morning, Popovich said he wasn't worried how Barry would respond.

"If he can turn it the right way in his head and make a motivation, it can be a positive," Popovich said. "I think he's going to be fine."

Barry's 20 minutes were his most in almost a month. For the past few weeks, he has had to scrap for time behind Manu Ginobili, Michael Finley and Bruce Bowen. The near trade, he said, made a difficult situation "that much more difficult."

For now, he'll try to stay positive. And stay ready.

"It's obviously been a tough 48 hours, but ... I'm just going to fight," he said. "Anybody who's a professional athlete is a competitor. At this point, that's what it's about for me: competing and trying to take advantage of every opportunity I get."

Link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022506.1C.BKNspurs.grizzlies.gamer.21ea752b.ht ml)

MI21
02-25-2006, 01:30 AM
Good comments from Barry, very professional.

spurs=bling
02-25-2006, 01:30 AM
"I wish there had been a local bar that was open," he said, "but it was 10 in the morning."
:lmao :lmao
sorry but this is funny .

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-25-2006, 01:54 AM
The deal began to unravel around an hour before the NBA's 2 p.m. deadline. When the Hornets acquired Marc Jackson and Linton Johnson III for Bostjan Nachbar in a trade with New Jersey, they no longer had the salary-cap room needed to absorb the difference between Barry's and Smith's contracts.

Mother fucking Rod Thorn... :pctoss

rayray2k8
02-25-2006, 02:00 AM
well at least the hornets tried to get it to work anyway.. they just ran out of time.. thats all.

MannyIsGod
02-25-2006, 02:30 AM
Fucking Nets.

Rummpd
02-25-2006, 03:07 AM
I am glad Barry is still around - I see a Steve Kerr situation where he comes off the bench and wins a crucial playoff game this year singlehandlily.

Gamabunta
02-25-2006, 03:09 AM
I am glad Barry is still around - I see a Steve Kerr situation where he comes off the bench and wins a crucial playoff game this year singlehandlily.

I hope the games aren't that close.

ChumpDumper
02-25-2006, 04:27 AM
The Hornets needed big men more than they needed Barry. Maybe if Vroman hadn't Theismanned himself the night before, the Hornets might not have been so desperate for size.

angel_luv
02-25-2006, 05:06 AM
From the moment he learned he might be traded to the time Popovich phoned back to tell him the deal was off, Barry had almost four hours to wonder about his future.

"I wish there had been a local bar that was open," he said, "but it was 10 in the morning.
It's obviously been a tough 48 hours, but ... I'm just going to fight," he said. "Anybody who's a professional athlete is a competitor. At this point, that's what it's about for me: competing and trying to take advantage of every opportunity I get."

I thought so. Ouch. :(

I'm glad Brent is still here. I have every confidence in him. :)

WalterBenitez
02-25-2006, 06:55 AM
To be honest I prefer BBarry on this team, perhaps he strugles sometimes, but when his 3s will be great in playoff's time

SouthernFried
02-25-2006, 07:12 AM
Barry is my favorite personality on the team, him and Sean do a lot for this team's chemistry, imho.

I'm glad he had such a great game for the team last night.

boutons_
02-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Serve them all lemonade, Brent!

DannyT
02-25-2006, 09:11 AM
i agree thagt once brent turns it on its over, but how often does that happen, and how much longer can we depend on this guy, i mean he's grrrrreat in the vidoe game but in real life im not seein barry tear down the rim like he does in 2k6

but none the less he's a CLASS ACT, A PROFESSIONAL, and he most def keeps up the spirits in the locker room, so if its not on court that he performs so long as he does his duties off the court then he's good until the summer......
"more lemonade mr Duncan....."

Gummi
02-25-2006, 10:03 AM
As much as I want to see the Spurs get younger at the swing positions, I'm glad we kept Barry for now at least. He might get traded in the offseason, maybe even for J.R., but for now I'm glad we didn't make any deals.

lilmads
02-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Barry's gonna be vital in the playoffs... Watch and see...:)

SpurYank
02-25-2006, 11:03 AM
We were lucky the deal didn't go through. We could not have won the game last night without Barry's contribution. When the playoffs come around, it'll be veterans like Barry, Horry (hopefully), Finley,Rasho, and Nick who will complement our starters to perform calmly and professionally. Regardless of whether or not we have HCA, only the Pistons and ourselves are apt to perform with some consistency in the playoffs. The Pistons are angry and hungry. They will definitely be a force to contend with.

ploto
02-25-2006, 11:04 AM
The trade would have allowed the Spurs to get younger and more athletic, as well as relieved them of the two seasons and $11 million on Barry's contract. But there also was some sentiment that the deal also would weaken the team for this season.

I could not agree more. I, as a fan, couldn't care less abut relieving the team of salary. I want to win!!

angel_luv
02-25-2006, 11:10 AM
We were lucky the deal didn't go through. We could not have won the game last night without Barry's contribution. When the playoffs come around, it'll be veterans like Barry, Horry (hopefully), Finley,Rasho, and Nick who will complement our starters to perform calmly and professionally.

True, except that Rasho will be starting in the play offs. :D

( Can't believe you let that slide, Ploto! :wow)

Fear the Sho! :elephant

Peter
02-25-2006, 05:31 PM
For the remainder of this season and in the interest of winning this season's championship, retaining Barry is more important to that end than Smith. I guess that's the silver lining in the busted trade cloud.

If Barry's play improves maybe that will keep the prospect of a Barry for Smith trade alive this summer. Barry helps the Spurs win a title and then land Smith. That wouldn't be too bad.