PDA

View Full Version : Seldom-used Brewer sizes up his chances with Pacers

Pooh
10-02-2003, 09:09 PM
3rd-year player fighting for time among deep group of point guards.

By Sekou Smith
[email protected]
October 2, 2003

Jamison Brewer can't remember a time when he wasn't focused on defying the odds, both in life and on the basketball court.

For Brewer, toiling in his third training camp with the Indiana Pacers this week, things will be no different on the court.

He has a guaranteed contract this season, but there are no guarantees that his role will be any more significant than it was last season. Brewer played just 80 minutes in 10 games, averaging 2.2 points and 1.8 assists. He was inactive during the playoffs.

What's more, when the Pacers needed point guard help late last season they turned to free-agent Tim Hardaway, who was working at ESPN at the time, rather than tapping Brewer for more minutes.

With more point guard depth this season, including a new and improved Jamaal Tinsley as well as veteran free-agent additions Kenny Anderson and Anthony Johnson, Brewer's task becomes that much more difficult.

He has to make quite an impression, and fast, on the Pacers' new coaching staff if he hopes to add his name to that list.

"I'm not here feeling any more secure just because I've got a contract," Brewer said while fidgeting with his beard and flowing dreadlocks during Monday's first workout. "These coaches don't know me yet; they probably don't even know my nickname ("Shawty") or anything.

"You only get a limited amount of time each day to show people what you can do and what you're capable of, so I'm going out there trying to take advantage of every moment. I'm trying to raise some eyebrows and let them see for themselves what I can do."

Brewer raised eyebrows for all the wrong reasons two months ago when he declined an invitation to join the Pacers' summer league contingent at the Rocky Mountain Revue.

The invitation wasn't meant to be a yes-or-no proposition, particularly for a player who just weeks before was wondering whether or not he'd be kept on for a third season.

Brewer said he had no desire to play with the combined Indiana/Philadelphia team. He opted instead for an intense summer of workouts in his hometown, Atlanta, with other NBA players and pros who play overseas.

"They put that mixed team together and I just wasn't feeling that. I wasn't trying to disrespect anybody," Brewer said in his trademark rapid-fire Southern twang. "I just told them that I'd rather stay in Atlanta and keep working on what I was doing."

Daily battles with older pros hungry to get back to the NBA proved to be the best test, Brewer said. They forced him to play at a higher level, to work harder than he thought he was capable of working.

"It was an interesting mix of dudes playing this summer," Brewer said. "They want what you've got, so they're coming at you. I've never backed down from anybody or anything in my life, so all that did was make me better."

Brewer's work ethic has been his hallmark, Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said.

"It's always important to let a new coach know that you want to go along with whatever the program is and try to impress them," Walsh said. "But as far as playing hard, Jamison does that all the time, so he'll do that."

Picked in the second round (41st overall) of the 2001 NBA draft, Brewer's future in the league has always been tenuous at best. His willingness to persevere, however, has never been stronger.

The speedy 6-4, 184-pound Brewer also possesses some unique qualities -- his size and sprinter's speed -- that the Pacers' other point guards can't match.

"He's an intriguing player because of his size and energy, and athleticism and enthusiasm," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said.

Brewer insists he's up for the challenge and relishes the opportunity.

"I know they've brought in a lot of veteran guards, but that's for someone else to worry about," he said. "All I can tell you is that I'm ready to go."

http://www.indystar.com/images/pics2/image-079752-1580.jpg

pacersrule03
10-03-2003, 05:16 PM
At the pacers games I've been at Brewer comes in if we're winning by a significant or losing by a lot. When he does come in he brings quickness and speed and penetration to the court. I would love to see more of him,but i don't see how he'll get more minutes this season than last.

Pooh
10-03-2003, 09:52 PM
I think all the Pacers will be looked at intensely during the pre-season. We'll see how they all look.