PDA

View Full Version : Thomas plans return to coaching

timvp
10-01-2003, 04:26 AM
Thomas plans return to coaching
After being unexpectedly fired by the Pacers, he'll visit training camps of several NBA teams.

By Mark Montieth
[email protected]
October 1, 2003

www.indystar.com/print/ar...0-036.html (http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/0/079449-6050-036.html)

Isiah Thomas continues his coaching odyssey this week, in a roundabout sort of way.

Thomas, fired by the Indiana Pacers in August, will visit various NBA teams in training camp to enhance his knowledge during his enforced sabbatical.

"I'll take this year and continue to do what I can to get better," said Thomas, who declined to identify the teams he will visit. "It's no different than when you're a player. Every day you try to get better.

"I'll visit and watch other people and spend my time wisely."

Thomas already has worked with IUPUI's basketball team as an invited guest of coach Ron Hunter, and plans to visit other college teams. He also has been discussing possible television work with ESPN, but wants to focus most of his attention on preparing for another NBA coaching job.

"You can always improve as a coach," he said. "It's like when you're playing. Every day when you wake up there's something to learn and a new way of doing things.

"Wherever the ball is bouncing, I'll be in the gym."

Thomas admitted the start of training camp has stirred his emotions since he'll be absent from the team he was coaching less than two months ago. But he emphasized his desire to stay out of the limelight as the Pacers open camp under Rick Carlisle.

He's confident, meanwhile, that he'll get another chance to coach an NBA team.

"If you're judging me on my record, then yeah, I should," he said.

And his goal remains the same.

"I want to win a championship as a coach," he said. "I always told my players you take your licks and you get up and keep fighting for it. I'm going to get up and keep fighting for my championship. Because I'm going to get one."

Tickets on sale Saturday

Tickets for all 41 of the Pacers regular-season home games go on sale Saturday at noon.

Priced at $47, $32, $20 and $10, they will be available at the Conseco Fieldhouse box office, Ticketmaster outlets, by calling 1-317-239-5151 or at the Web sites www.consecofieldhouse.com and www.ticketmaster.com.

Home games played Monday through Thursday will start at 7 p.m., while Friday games will start at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday games at 8 p.m.

Notes

The Pacers will have 41 games broadcast on the Fox Sports Net cable network and 36 on WTTV-4 this season. TNT will televise two nationally -- Nov. 6 at New Jersey and on Thanksgiving, when New York plays at the fieldhouse. Every game will be carried by WIBC-1070 AM. . . . Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said he will try to decide on Vern Fleming's status this week. Fleming was an assistant on Thomas' staff, but was not retained by Carlisle. Fleming could be kept in another capacity. Former Pacers assistant Mark Aguirre has returned to Dallas, where he made his home before joining Thomas' staff. He plans to work with teams as a tutor of post play and hopes to land another coaching job. . . . Indiana University coach Mike Davis was a guest at Tuesday's morning practice.

Pooh
10-01-2003, 10:12 PM
He'll be signing copies of his new book, "How to implode a team without really trying" :)