PDA

View Full Version : Open Competition Marks Beginning of Training Camp

Pooh
09-29-2003, 09:53 PM
By John Clayton
Sept. 29, 2003

To new head coach Rick Carlisle, the opening of training camp means open competition.

Carlisle leads the Pacers into his first training camp as head coach, beginning today at Conseco Fieldhouse. Players with less than three years of NBA experience are required to report today for physicals and a team dinner. Twice-a-day practices begin Tuesday. Veterans above that threshold cannot report until Thursday.

Though Carlisle has a cast that includes four of last season’s starters, that doesn’t mean every incumbent will automatically return to the lineup or that newcomer Scot Pollard has been given the starting job at center.

“I see it being real competitive for playing time,” Carlisle said. “Right now, in my mind, the only two guys I see as definite starters are Jermaine (O’Neal), probably at the four spot and Reggie Miller, if he’s healthy.”

Carlisle also said indications are that Miller has progressed well from offseason ankle surgery, is in good shape and will be ready when camp opens.

If so, that leaves three starting positions and spots in Carlisle’s primary rotation up for grabs, something that could make for a spirited and interesting camp.

“Most of it is wide open,” he said.

The offseason acquisitions of veterans Kenny Anderson and Anthony Johnson could push third-year point guard Jamaal Tinsley, who has started for the Pacers since his rookie season.

“Right now, we have three quality point guards ... and we all bring something different to the table,” said Johnson. “We’re all competitors and I feel it’s going to be a dogfight trying to earn minutes at the point-guard spot, but it’s something I look forward to and I welcome the challenge.”

Pollard, acquired from Sacramento in a three-team, five-player deal for Brad Miller, and Jeff Foster will compete for minutes and probably the starting spot at center. The forward positions are rich with talent from Jermaine O’Neal to Jonathan Bender and second-round draft pick James Jones.

“This team has so much flexibility," Carlisle said. "There’s a possibility that Jermaine could be the five-man and one of the other guys could be the four – a guy like (Al) Harrington or a guy like (Austin) Croshere. You don’t know. We’ll have to see what happens, but competition generally brings out the best in everyone. It’s going to be good.”

The other position that could be up for grabs is small forward, where Ron Artest is the incumbent but faces a group of challengers led by Al Harrington and Jonathan Bender.

pacersrule03
09-29-2003, 11:06 PM
“This team has so much flexibility," Carlisle said. "There’s a possibility that Jermaine could be the five-man and one of the other guys could be the four – a guy like (Al) Harrington or a guy like (Austin) Croshere. You don’t know. We’ll have to see what happens, but competition generally brings out the best in everyone. It’s going to be good.”

I like this quote because I think this is the lineup we will win most with. I would like to see C-JO, PF-al harrington, SF-Artest, SG-Reggie, pg-Tins. We'll have to wait and see.:makemyday

Pooh
09-29-2003, 11:42 PM
Yes, I like the flexibility as well. That's what will make us a legitimate threat in the East...